Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 07-14-2019, 8:39 AM

Default Bullet Weight on Steel

I wonder if you have to shoot at steel to fall, if it makes a difference at about 25 yards whether you have 115g or 168g bullets in your 9mm? Rephrased . . . is it possible that the 115g bullet will not have enough power to drop the steel target?
Old 07-14-2019, 8:48 AM
PEWPEWPEW:)
CGN Contributor

Depending on the velocity of the round. I know people who run a 115 grain bullet in Open because it produces more gas to work the comp and they have no problem knocking down steel.

But in general, standard factory 115 GR MAY have an issue knocking down CERTAIN steel targets at longer distances at certain velocity
Old 07-17-2019, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
I wonder if you have to shoot at steel to fall, if it makes a difference at about 25 yards whether you have 115g or 168g bullets in your 9mm? Rephrased . . . is it possible that the 115g bullet will not have enough power to drop the steel target?
If loaded to the same power factor it won't make a noticeable difference...where you hit the steel will make more difference

At a prior match, we had steel at 45 yards and, when I was calibrating it, it was falling consistently when hit with a 125gr bullet loaded to 90PF. It was falling very slowly, but it was falling
Old 07-18-2019, 5:27 AM

I find that a heavier 9mm bullet drops steel faster than light bullets. It also seems to knock down steel with more marginal hits. This is of course anecdotal.

I run 147 in pistols and 124 in carbines.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Calguns Addict

In a USPSA match a pepper popper is supposed to be set so that it drops when hit at the reference line with a Minor load. The reference line is a horizontal line drawn at the bottom of the round part. Match directors generally test during setup unless they're pretty sure it will fall. After years of setting pepper poppers they can tell by feel when it's set right.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

It also depends on what ammo you are shooting and where on the target. I have had this problem with factory 115grn at 25. Part of the issue is it wasn’t set up properly ( the target) the other is where on the target it gets hit. Avoid the issue and run a124 grn or higher. More recoil but they also fall.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Anybody tried calibrating the popper using a trigger pull gauge? I.e. "if i pull the steel back at 7.5 lbs it should fall when hit with minor PF loads"
Old 07-18-2019, 1:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I remember back in the 1980's that there were a lot of experiments by the metallic silhouette shooters (pistols out to 200 yards and rifles out to 500 meters) and the conclusion drawn from years of match shooting was that heavier bullets knocked down steel better, even if the loads had proportional impact energies.

You might check on the metallic silhouette websites for the data.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 07-18-2019, 2:21 PM

The poppers should fall when shot with ammo chrono’ed to minimum power factor - 105 for IDPA, 125 for USPSA, no PF for Steel Challenge.
Heavier bullet = lower velocity. It’s good to have a bit of safety factor.
And hitting poppers on the upper half helps greatly helps knockdown, light or heavy bullets...