Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Sawyer Mini Inline Installation

Hey Calgunners,
I finally decided to install a Sawyer Mini water filter inline on one of my Source WXP 2L Hydration bladders. For the factor of speed and efficiency, one of my preferred methods of water collection is to fill a bladder, drop in some Iodine and go. The only downside of the pump filters like the Katadyn Hiker, is that they are pretty slow and if staying in one spot isn't an option, you risk either drinking contaminated water or not getting enough. With the Sawyer Mini installed inline on my hydration system, the Iodine kills the viruses and the mini does the rest. Let me know what you guys think! I decided on the outside of the bag install due to the contents within my bag. Do you all prefer it on the inside or how did you do yours?
Old 07-04-2019, 9:37 PM

I have a surplus bladder & hose. I use the military filters designed to work with those. They plug into the bladder, then the hose pugs into it. Never had a leak. Nice setups w/ slip fittings & o-rings.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 PM

I set my Geigerrig bladder up like this several years ago. With the quick release fittings I can remove the filter if it isn't needed. It works great.

Last edited by gorn5150; 07-05-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 9:16 AM

i like those quick release fittings! not a bad idea.
Old 07-10-2019, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
i like those quick release fittings! not a bad idea.
I use the same type of Aceytl fittings and they work great!

Note: you can buy them as "open" flow through or with a shut off (meaning they only flow when coupled with the opposite fitting and when you unplug them they shut off such that they don't leak out everything that is "upstream" from the fitting.) I use the shut off kind above the filter and the open flow through kind below.

When used across different types of bladders they allow "plug and play" convenience.

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 07-10-2019 at 9:26 AM..
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM

I took an old blown out hydration bag & robbed the hose from it and I put about a 6" piece of that hose and put it on the downstream outlet of the Sawyer Mini, I then wrapped the Mini in tan para-cord which incorporates a loop so I can clip it to my backpack strap (or anything really) using a snap clip (carabiner). If I want to install it I simply pull the little rubber mouthpiece off my bladder hose & connect the bladder hose to the Sawyer Mini and the mouthpiece to the other end. It can be added or deleted quickly and easily, but in reality I usually just leave it installed.

For clamps I use these: https://www.grainger.com/product/1EN...g!472121639756!