Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Traveling to Central America

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but its survival related...

I'm traveling to Central America for work in a few months and curious if anyone knows what the gun laws are there?
Although work is providing security to/from airport, hotel, job site, I'm not entirely trusting.
Considering bringing a small concealed handgun.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!
Z.
Old 05-24-2019, 3:13 PM

This might be an ok place to start but be sure to check more reliable sources as many countries are not keen on guns especially pistols...
Old 05-24-2019, 7:13 PM

It would depend on the exact country(s) and how much work you are willing to put in to getting the necessary permits. If you will be going to multiple countries each may be different. Also even if you get the proper permits, licenses, etc, you still have to worry about crooked cops - if they catch you with it they will almost certainly steal it, and likely you'll wind up in jail. I would say not worth it. I traveled the globe for 3 years and I always carried a boot knife, folding knife, collapsible baton, & pepper spray. On a couple of occasions I went to a sporting goods store and bought a flare gun to keep in the car . . . not a firearm, but you wouldn't want to get hit with it at close range. I did have occasion to use them, and was glad I had them, but never wished for the liability that comes with a firearm in a foreign country. Knowing what I know now I would probably add a taser.
Old 05-24-2019, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh hell no. No way.

There are local security with ARs and AKs all over, and machetes. Stay in town and do what your hosts say to do and you will be fine.

Try to bring a gun, and you may end up in prison.

Last edited by God Bless America; 05-24-2019 at 9:29 PM..
Old 05-24-2019, 10:19 PM

Who do you trust with your life?

Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-25-2019, 7:06 AM

Unfortunately you will be unarmed.

I only have experience with a few countries, Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama. I've sailed through and stopped in each. In each my boat was boarded by authorities looking for contra band and firearms are considered contraband. You can buy off the search pretty easily - liquor in a cheap flask cut my typical Nicaragua search from a 20-30 minutes to 2.

It is my guess (no expert) that possession on board a vessel may be different then something permitted on land - for instance I know guys can take shotguns to Mexico for hunting but there is paper work involved.

Believe me - being on a fiberglass sail boat with a low speed motor in this area of the world does not endear me to being unarmed. I hate it. I also don't want to end up in one of their jails either.
Old 05-25-2019, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Jail is hell in those countries. Either make peace with being without a firearm or stay home. I’ve never felt the need for a gun down their. What area are we talking? I’d feel better off bribing the local security to make me priority #1 in case of emergency.
Old 05-25-2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Jail is hell in those countries. Either make peace with being without a firearm or stay home. I’ve never felt the need for a gun down their. What area are we talking? I’d feel better off bribing the local security to make me priority #1 in case of emergency.
Agreed - street smarts will be far more valuable than a firearm.

Paying people off is an art though - too much and you make yourself a target, too little and they pocket the money but you don't get what you paid for. I have found that smaller amounts in regular installments are more effective than one time payments. If they see you as a source of regular income they will not want any harm to come to the goose that lays the golden eggs. It should also seem like a gift, not a bribe; ie. slip them a $50 "Hey, thanks for looking out for me, take your wife to dinner on me" or "I know you can't drink while your working, have a drink on me later"
Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback.

"boot knife, folding knife, collapsible baton, & pepper spray...I would probably add a taser." - is great advice.

Z.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 PM

And the bribery advice, that is also really great.
Agree about it being an art, and like the idea of small amounts in regular installments.

Z.
Old 05-27-2019, 8:51 AM

Gun ownership is legal in Costa Rica as long as you are a legal resident. Property owners are allowed also. Concealed carry is a small matter that is taken care of at the local police office.

The closer you get to the northern border it is recommended.

My family has owned a home there for many years.
Old 05-27-2019, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprzman View Post
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but its survival related...

I'm traveling to Central America for work in a few months and curious if anyone knows what the gun laws are there?
Although work is providing security to/from airport, hotel, job site, I'm not entirely trusting.
Considering bringing a small concealed handgun.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!
Z.
Central America? Shall we guess what specific countries you plan to work in to give you advice?

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 05-28-2019, 7:59 AM

I'll be traveling to Guatemala, and possibly Honduras.

Z.
Old 05-28-2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:

Z.
Those are 2 very dangerous countries. Be very careful.
Old 05-28-2019, 2:47 PM

Default Head Right

Get your head right for this; be smart is your best defense. Try to remain with another person or better more then one person. If you have ANY bad feeling about something turn around and walk away. Keep your head on a swivel and be on the watch for anything.

It is difficult being an American gun owner not to have this option available to you, but its just not. Someone wrote above - if you can't be without the firearm don't go. If, like me, that isn't really a good option then just be smart about it.

Cash is king but never show too much of it and be sure to keep it in multiple locations.

Knives are almost as bad as guns in some countries don't think for a second about carrying one that anyone can see.

Your head is your best defense.

Quote:

Z.
Old 05-28-2019, 5:54 PM

Learn to fight and look at every object in arms reach as a potential weapon
Old 05-28-2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:

Z.
Don't know much about Honduras, but I've spent some time in Guatemala City. As long as you stay away from Strippers/Hookers and avoid nightclubs you'll be fine there. Most hotels that cater to American's will not allow you to bring local women to your room - and if you go to "their" place you will almost certainly be robbed or worse. It's pretty common for foreigners to get mugged around bars/nightclubs, that doesn't mean you can't have a couple beers, just be careful and don't get ****-faced. Of course there's the obvious - stay away from cocaine and try and stay away from smuggling corridors, don't make any comments at all about cartels. As long as you leave your vices at home you wont be in any greater danger than many places in the US.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Thanks everyone.
I'm pretty tame, when outside of my comfort zone, and these places will definitely not be my comfort zone. But I appreciate all the advice.

I agree, the head is the best defense.
I dont think I'll be spending any time alone, site seeing!

Z.