Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 87 8.40%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 688 66.41%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 24 2.32%
I paid too much for my Membership! 46 4.44%
They will go out of business this year! 27 2.61%
Don't want anything to do with them! 164 15.83%
Voters: 1036. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2021, 12:00 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
If you really want some insight talk to some of the left handed instructors in how they run their right handed gun. Simple but very enlightening. Passed these tips onto some wrong handed shooters and it was very helpful as they had issues with right hand control only guns.
Shooting support side will also enlighten you on how to store your gear on your body if your firing hand goes down. I've had friends with slick knife and flashlight carry setups that did not work well for them if they had to use their support hand only.
Old 09-29-2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
The kneepad inserts are great for everyday / light-duty usage, but I wouldn't use them for most training class especially with repetitive up/down exercises. The gravel will start chewing up the pants cloth. Probably fine for a couple days, but can end up being a more expensive training class. That said, I don't know what repetitions are done in the class you're taking, so it could be a moot point.
Valid points.
Old 09-29-2021, 7:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Guy did exactly that in the 4DDHG I was in a few weeks ago. Shot left handed and received a Graduate certificate. After chatting with I'm a bit I learned guy was also a professional firearms instructor.
I have done this too. And I too finished at the "Graduate" level. And I am FAR from a professional anything.

It WAS enlightening, and I highly recommend it. You might do better than you think. There are some things that are actually easier with left hand, such as unloading the gun.

I was mildly disappointed to not DG, but it was my brother's first time at FS, and at least I beat him...

Katie
Old 09-29-2021, 8:18 PM

Years ago, when the Adv Tac HG class was more, how shall I say it…”flexible”, cold on demand (from holster, no concealment) we shot the 4DHG test four times in a row.
2 hand strong side, one hand strong side, 2 hand support side, one hand support side.

DG score on all except 2 handed support side ( my strong hand was fighting for control of the pistol). One handed support side, no problem.

Ah, the good old days at FS….
Old 09-29-2021, 8:32 PM

Years ago, when the Adv Tac HG class was more, how shall I say it…”flexible”, cold on demand (from holster, no concealment) we shot the 4DHG test four times in a row.
2 hand strong side, one hand strong side, 2 hand support side, one hand support side.

DG score on all except 2 handed support side ( my strong hand was fighting for control of the pistol). One handed support side, no problem.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_G22 View Post

That was certainly a ton more fun than when Adv Tactical became 'Master Prep Prep'

Knock on wood, I've been to 4DDHG sooo many times that I've DGd everything on the 1st try except Weak Side, J-Frame Revolver.

2 Weeks of dry practice, 20-30 minutes for maybe 10 of those days.

I'll be there with my wife, some friends and my brother (his first 4DDHG) the first weekend in November. I think I'm going to roll 100% easy mode with a full-size FNH 509T with Holosun, Strong Side.
Old 10-01-2021, 5:03 PM

4 day marksmanship class booked for April 2022. All this talk has me chomping at the bit. it's going to be a long winter gearing up and getting in some practice. Damon, please send dimensions of image of target used in class.

PM me for your Front Sight needs
Old 10-02-2021, 9:48 AM

Anyone headed to 4 day shotgun starting on Friday October 8?
Old 10-02-2021, 9:48 AM

Anyone headed to 4 day shotgun starting on Friday October 8?
Old 10-02-2021, 9:52 AM

What optic has everyone been running in the Practical Rifle class? Iron sights, red dot, red dot with a magnifier, 1x prism scope, LPVO?

My vision kind of sucks, and no way could I be accurate out to 100 yards with just a red dot (Holosun 5010C w/ 2MOA dot). The diopter on the 1x prism scope I have is great for getting a crystal clear image (one advantage over a red dot), but still no magnification so those 100 yard shots would probably be tough. I'm leaning toward using the LPVO with offset BUIS.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 10-02-2021 at 9:56 AM..
Old 10-02-2021, 11:44 AM

I have used a 4X32 ACOG and a Burris LPVO 1-4X24 in that class. I prefer the LPVO due to the better eye relief.
I am waiting for a black friday type deal on a Primary Arms PLx8 1-8x24 with the ACSS Reticle.
https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-plx8-...in-mil-reticle
My son wants the Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24
https://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes...iflescope.html
Old 10-02-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAllen View Post
I have used a 4X32 ACOG and a Burris LPVO 1-4X24 in that class. I prefer the LPVO due to the better eye relief.
I am waiting for a black friday type deal on a Primary Arms PLx8 1-8x24 with the ACSS Reticle.
https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-plx8-...in-mil-reticle
My son wants the Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24
https://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes...iflescope.html
I just picked up a PA SLx 1-6x24 with the ACSS reticle. Second focal plane, essentially the budget version of what you're looking to get and for what I paid for it after a 12% discount and free shipping I have no complaints. For the occasional "distance shots" I think it was the right choice. I just can't decide if that's what I would bring to a class or the red dot.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:58 PM

I think you made a great choice and I personally would choose that for the class. 4X magnification was the minimum for my eyes at distance. I was wanting just a little bit more.
We will see what others have to say.
Old 10-02-2021, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

I run a LPVO.. 1x4 trijicon tr24 with the green triangle. Close in use it as a red dot. Use 1x out to 50 then up to 4 at 100. You don’t tend to need the magnification with good At 400 and 4x I use the bottom of the triangle to hit steel. From top to bottom the triangle is 4 mils. It is a FFP scope.
Old 10-02-2021, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

I run a LPVO.. 1x4 trijicon tr24 with the green triangle. Close in use it as a red dot. Use 1x out to 50 then up to 4 at 100. You don’t tend to need the magnification with good At 400 and 4x I use the bottom of the triangle to hit steel. From top to bottom the triangle is 4 mils. It is a FFP scope.
Old 10-02-2021, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I used to run 3x30 ACOGs on my AKs. Last time I ran my 18" Marksmanship rifle with 1-8x Nightforce NX8 for Practical Rifle Skill Builder, I never needed any magnification more than 4x.

I plan to use a Sig Tango6 1-6x on a 11.5" SBR on Skill Builder next time.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 10-03-2021, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone have any memberships to sell? I have a couple of friends that want to go.

Thanks
Bert

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 10-03-2021, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Default Diamond Membership

Sorry, Dupe post.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

Last edited by Bert Gamble; 10-03-2021 at 5:09 PM.. Reason: Dupe
Old 10-03-2021, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

If you are looking for the standard. Cheap ones I’ll give you some if you want upgraded one I can get you set up. AAA shooter is one to contact for Diamond memberships
Old 10-05-2021, 6:20 AM

Quote:
What optic has everyone been running in the Practical Rifle class? Iron sights, red dot, red dot with a magnifier, 1x prism scope, LPVO?

My vision kind of sucks, and no way could I be accurate out to 100 yards with just a red dot (Holosun 5010C w/ 2MOA dot). The diopter on the 1x prism scope I have is great for getting a crystal clear image (one advantage over a red dot), but still no magnification so those 100 yard shots would probably be tough. I'm leaning toward using the LPVO with offset BUIS.
I have used red dots during both class I have taken. First time with 3x magnifier, second was rental gear without magnifier. I have learned I need magnification to get scoring hits last 50yards. Up close, drills have not been issue, add some distance and my eye s but becomes issue.

Next class without focus being on my kids getting through class, lpvo will be used. 3X magnifier worked great but thinking a bit higher power would be a plus.

Vinny, scope it unless you just want to take class and learn to run. gun

PM me for your Front Sight needs
Old 10-05-2021, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
I have used red dots during both class I have taken. First time with 3x magnifier, second was rental gear without magnifier. I have learned I need magnification to get scoring hits last 50yards. Up close, drills have not been issue, add some distance and my eye s but becomes issue.

Next class without focus being on my kids getting through class, lpvo will be used. 3X magnifier worked great but thinking a bit higher power would be a plus.

Vinny, scope it unless you just want to take class and learn to run. gun
Appreciate the advice. Seems like many have used and recommend some sort of LPVO for the class. That's what I bring when I end up taking the class. I've taken the 4-day Defensive Handgun or Handgun Skill Builder six times in the last year and a half and it's time to move on and start taking the other classes they offer like the Practical Rifle and Shotgun classes. Also want to take the Tactical Handgun and Advanced Tactical Handgun since I've DG'd the
Old 10-05-2021, 12:15 PM

I just booked the 2 day practical rifle for 11/15. First rifle course at FS so excited to have a couple days of fun and training. I prefer the 2 day then going back for the skill builder- 4 days is too long to get away for.
I'm setting up the belt now and converting from pistol to rifle pouches. We will see how it all works out. I normally run a PIG carrier (mainly because I am terrified of getting plugged in the back) but want to go light this time and they run safe ranges.
Old 10-05-2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:

I've taken the class with a PA Slx 1x6 FFP and another time with a PA 3x prism/Arisaka offset Holosun 509t. It took a little practice figuring out when to switch between the two but the 509t worked well for the close stuff. For my not-so-great eyes, 3x was sufficient @100yards.
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 10-05-2021, 9:09 PM

Team Allen. I took a non front site class with the 1-10 and a scalar mount. For zero to 700 yds I rocked that class. No dope needed all elevation in the reticle. Ps I used moa
Old 10-06-2021, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fcattle View Post
Team Allen. I took a non front site class with the 1-10 and a scalar mount. For zero to 700 yds I rocked that class. No dope needed all elevation in the reticle. Ps I used moa
I appreciate the feedback 3fcattle. Now I just need those Black Friday deals next month. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-06-2021, 1:51 PM

Yaaaaaas Black Friday for sure
Old 10-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_G22 View Post

Whoa!?! That is so cool...!!!

Any insights on why they don't do that anymore at ATHG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
So, I did write FS an e-mail about my CZ Shadow 2 trigger and got a reply in a few days. She, the Range Operations Manager, said to bring it to weapons inspection to be tested next time I have a class. If the armorer fails it again and I can prove the 4 lb NRA trigger weight can be hung from the trigger without activating the trigger, to let her know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
Happy to hear they responded to your question on the trigger, sounds like Bridget Dury was who you heard from? She's good. Fair and runs a good crew.
Dury? As in her?

Worked with my kids when they were in the children's class... That was a memorable family vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
Don't mean to shift the discussion, but I'm headed to FS on October 11 and 12 for the 2 Day DHG class. My favorite class is the HG Skillbuilder but with covid, my 2 year requirement lapsed so I have to go back to the beginning of the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2
If I recall correctly, it applies to most classes with prerequisites. You have to fulfill the prerequisites every 2 years or keep taking the advanced class at least once every 2 years.

For instance, to take Advanced Tactical Handgun, you have to either DG the 4-day Defensive Handgun class within the past 2 years or have taken ATHG over the past 2 years. To take Precision Rifle, you have to DG Rifle Marksmanship within the past 2 years or have taken Precision Rifle in the last 2 years.

@beanz2 - Curious on where I stand in regards to the "2-year requirement," ie., my THG/ATHG was in June 2019, I called up Front Sight and inquired about the prerequisite. I was told that the "2-year requirement" will apply to me if I wanted to take the 2-day HG Skill Builder; I can take the THG/ATHG anytime I want... (I may call again to reconfirm, though)

Since I have not taken the 2DHGSB before - I was told that if I wanted to take it I would have to take either the 2DDHG or the 4DDHG. I asked about what if I wanted to take the curriculum of the 2DDHGSB in a private class, I was requested to call again on Monday as the administrator in-charge was not available.

_
Old 10-09-2021, 7:33 PM

that's her daughter who is an awesome Range Master
Old 10-10-2021, 8:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Whoa!?! That is so cool...!!!

Any insights on why they don't do that anymore at ATHG?
Sounds like they have a more defined curriculum now. At least the RM still has some leeway on some exercises as opposed to the basic classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
@beanz2 - Curious on where I stand in regards to the "2-year requirement," ie., my THG/ATHG was in June 2019, I called up Front Sight and inquired about the prerequisite. I was told that the "2-year requirement" will apply to me if I wanted to take the 2-day HG Skill Builder; I can take the THG/ATHG anytime I want... (I may call again to reconfirm, though)

Since I have not taken the 2DHGSB before - I was told that if I wanted to take it I would have to take either the 2DDHG or the 4DDHG. I asked about what if I wanted to take the curriculum of the 2DDHGSB in a private class, I was requested to call again on Monday as the administrator in-charge was not available.

_
You should call. There I was taking THG/ATHG and when I wanted to take a HGSB, they wouldn’t let me go as I hadn’t taken a basic class or HGSB in the past 2 years.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:04 AM

they should have some type of challenge option for those folks who time out after 2 years. For example, you need to shoot the HG test and DG. That way they know your skill set as not dropped since the last time you were there.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
that's her daughter who is an awesome Range Master
Whoa!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
they should have some type of challenge option for those folks who time out after 2 years. For example, you need to shoot the HG test and DG. That way they know your skill set as not dropped since the last time you were there.
In some cases, I would agree that a challenge option would be recommended.

However, I am not clear when it comes to the Skill Builder class which has no pre-requisites aside from 2-day or 4-day HG classes. They allow you to take THG, which requires a G; and ATHG, which requires a DG, without the 2-year but NOT the Skill Builder?

Quote:
Sounds like they have a more defined curriculum now. At least the RM still has some leeway on some exercises as opposed to the basic classes.
I see…

Then something I need to put on my “bucket list” when I go for a private class… I think the instructor/s would much oblige.

Quote:
You should call. There I was taking THG/ATHG and when I wanted to take a HGSB, they wouldn’t let me go as I hadn’t taken a basic class or HGSB in the past 2 years.
Will definitely call. Cheers!

Work is off due to Columbus Day… I have heard that getting a slot for a private class is tough - months way way out…

_
Old 10-11-2021, 8:57 AM

Hey does anyone know why the good Dr. has stepped up the spam regarding support for the lawsuit? My email and VM have been getting spammed at least 5 or 6 times a day. It has really ramped up in the last few weeks after a summer of pretty normal marketing activities.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I called... The coordinator for the private classes wasn't in (Dani?), yet, so did ask about that "2-yr requirement." I got a different answer - I can take the HGSB without the 2-year requirement. I heard that his name is "Drew" - as long as I DGed the 4DDHG and have taken THG/ATHG, I could go back to the Skill Builder

@beanz2 - It would seem that you are somehow jinxed - be it the trigger pull weight of your CZ or the classes you'd like to take...

_
Old 10-11-2021, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

@rodralig, welll, you must’ve spoken to the right person at the right time. I have the feeling if the scheduling guy really wanted to, he could get me in any class. He did ask someone else and he said nope.

Haha, I think for now that 4 lb triggered Shadow 2 is only known to Bridget Drury, you guys and me. By end of December, the news will be out.

Old 10-11-2021, 7:06 PM

I got tired of the robo-calls and one day dialed the number back thinking I would get somebody on the phone so I could tell them to stop calling me. Well, when I re-dialed the number back, I got some sort of generic recording telling me I could opt-out of future calls, which I did.