Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-04-2021, 6:01 PM

Default CGW on a HD P-01?

What do you guys think? Iím thinking of getting CGW standard package (formerly defensive carry) and milling for an RMR on my P-01. While I generally take it to the range and plan to use it in classes, I might also have it around for HD.

I doubt I will be able to CCW, so thatís not an issue. Just the HD part. Any advice?
Old 04-04-2021, 6:32 PM

For HD I personally would just do night sights a light and a lighter mainspring for a lighter DA pull

That being said. I have a P01 with the pro kit and rmr

I use my cz75 compact with CZC hammer and 15lb Main spring as a HD type of gun.

If I had a second P01 I would just do night sights and the mainspring change. The trigger is optional if the curve bothers you or not.
Old 04-04-2021, 7:48 PM

I have Pro package on my P01 HD gun.
Old 04-04-2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks View Post
For HD I personally would just do night sights a light and a lighter mainspring for a lighter DA pull

That being said. I have a P01 with the pro kit and rmr

I use my cz75 compact with CZC hammer and 15lb Main spring as a HD type of gun.

If I had a second P01 I would just do night sights and the mainspring change. The trigger is optional if the curve bothers you or not.
Yeah, I donít love the curved trigger. Iím looking up 15 lb springs now. If that makes my DA pull more consistently accurate, it sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will just leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
I have Pro package on my P01 HD gun.
Pro package sounds dangerous in my hands. Iíll leave it up to you Pro-level guys. I have found I enjoy the stock pull on striker fired pistols and dislike a striker trigger pull under 4-5 lbs. I donít compete, so itís not really an issue for me. When it comes to DA/SA or a 1911, I do enjoy the SA pull at 3.5 lbs or so. I wouldnít mind a slightly lighter DA pull, however.
Old 04-04-2021, 8:40 PM

If you are willing to do the work on a decocker you can always just change out the hammer. But since your opening it up might as well do it once. The decocker is a bit more complex than a standard DA/SA but is totally doable. If you do I recommend getting an extra plunger spring (the l shaped spring). Forget the actual name of it.

Wolff sells a three pack if you want a 15lb. I have an extra one if you want to try it. Let me know. It’s yours if you do. I just won’t be able to ship until next Saturday
Old 04-05-2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks View Post
If you are willing to do the work on a decocker you can always just change out the hammer. But since your opening it up might as well do it once. The decocker is a bit more complex than a standard DA/SA but is totally doable. If you do I recommend getting an extra plunger spring (the l shaped spring). Forget the actual name of it.

Wolff sells a three pack if you want a 15lb. I have an extra one if you want to try it. Let me know. Itís yours if you do. I just wonít be able to ship until next Saturday

Thanks so much! Iím going to think it over carefully, because of the changes to LA county CCW approval rate. Maybe keep it stock and use it for CCW.
Old 04-05-2021, 8:42 PM

I kept my P-01 near stock and it’s a great shooter . Changed grips and sight. I have a 15 round magazine with a plus 2 on it plus a light for home defense: total 18 rounds .I also CCW it. I ran a USPSA course with it recently and it rocked. Great all around gun. Since it’s my main CCW it’s stock except for a 16# Wolfe hammer spring .
The more you shoot it the better it gets . Just hit 7000 rounds and haven’t broken the slide stop yet.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
I kept my P-01 near stock and itís a great shooter . Changed grips and sight. I have a 15 round magazine with a plus 2 on it plus a light for home defense: total 18 rounds .I also CCW it. I ran a USPSA course with it recently and it rocked. Great all around gun. Since itís my main CCW itís stock except for a 16# Wolfe hammer spring .
The more you shoot it the better it gets . Just hit 7000 rounds and havenít broken the slide stop yet.

Thanks for the input! Sounds like the consensus is to change out the hammer spring to something a bit lighter. Going to have to YouTube it all, since I havenít done anything more than field strip it for cleaning at this point. I donít even have a full 1000 rounds through it yet.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:21 PM

Food for thought. I have been coming across recommendations to keep your HD/Nightstand gun stock for possible legal purposes in the event of use. I wouldn't sweat sights or grips, but something to consider.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWastigmatism View Post
Food for thought. I have been coming across recommendations to keep your HD/Nightstand gun stock for possible legal purposes in the event of use. I wouldn't sweat sights or grips, but something to consider.
Imagine driving down the street. You're passing the local Target, and there's a Jihadist shooting into the store from the parking lot. You floor it, running him over and saving countless lives. It's ruled a justifiable homicide. But wait; is that a K&N air filter under your hood? And are those... gasp! Aftermarket wheels! Now you're going to be sued by the family and getting retried to boot. Damn aftermarket parts!
Old 04-07-2021, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWastigmatism View Post
There are no legal case study to back up such arguments. A good shoot is still a GOOD shot, regardless if it were an Open Race Gun with a 1-lb trigger.

This has been discussed multiple times here in CG - and no one can back up such assertions with a case, statutes and/or CALCRIM. Even the OCSD allows modifications to CCW firearms, as long as they are legal. I am aware of someone that even uses the Taran Tactical Combat Master in his CCW.

I call #FUD on that...

_
Old 04-29-2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2020 View Post
Thanks for the input! Sounds like the consensus is to change out the hammer spring to something a bit lighter. Going to have to YouTube it all, since I havenít done anything more than field strip it for cleaning at this point. I donít even have a full 1000 rounds through it yet.
If you're going to change out the hammer spring, then definitely get the CGW ultralite package. It includes an extended firing pin to ensure you dont get any light primer strikes with your reduced hammer spring. Crucial for a HD gun.
Old 04-29-2021, 3:25 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I highly recommend the Reach Reduction Kit with the old style trigger.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/rr...reduction-kit/

This shortens the distance to the trigger in DA mode, but also lightens the SA slightly.
Old 04-29-2021, 3:27 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
A good shoot is still a GOOD shot
I think there are a ton of cops these days who would tell you differently. The correct variant of this is "a good shoot is still a good shoot if the media agrees its a good shoot." Otherwise, they will use every microscopic detail to demonize you.
Old 05-03-2021, 9:43 PM

I agree the media will look for any opportunity to sensationalize a shoot, but name me one ACTUAL court case where a trigger job negatively impacted a defensive shooter.

FYI, proud CCWír of a CGW packaged P01.
(They did the NP3 finish as well)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E56F7B57-8DAE-40DA-A51A-8E6EC0C22BFF.jpg (20.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:11 PM

Also remember the 1 in 10,000 chance you actually shoot a creep in self defense, the cops will take away your weapon for "evidence" even though no charges against you. Most likely you will get it back, but detectives and forensic team will "deep dive" into it.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I agree the media will look for any opportunity to sensationalize a shoot, but name me one ACTUAL court case where a trigger job negatively impacted a defensive shooter.
I can't think of a trigger job instance, but I can think of a customized AR dust cover being used against a cop in a line-of-duty shooting. Is it the same thing? No, but it goes to show that an aggressiveness prosecutor will use whatever they can if they think it will help them when it's time to run for state office.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I can't think of a trigger job instance, but I can think of a customized AR dust cover being used against a cop in a line-of-duty shooting. Is it the same thing? No, but it goes to show that an aggressiveness prosecutor will use whatever they can if they think it will help them when it's time to run for state office.
Unsure of the specifics of that case, but if you want to run a “kill em all” or other stupid quote on a AR dust cover, or anything in the line of duty, I’d say it plays into your attitude and potential preconceived convictions, which have no place as an individual officer. IMO

Conversely, I would argue that a professional trigger job puts you in better control of your firearm and shot placement (no innocents).

(Not an attorney, or law enforcement, just my opinion)

Last edited by JimmyV; 05-03-2021 at 10:46 PM..