Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-13-2020, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Pre 1964 Washington quarters & silver American Eagles.
This right here!
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019
Old 05-14-2020, 9:15 AM

I received an email last night from APMEX saying my order had shipped. I was surprised that it shipped just three hours after payment was received.
While shopping online is easy I am still waiting for the lockdown to be lifted so I can find a couple of shops near me.
Old 05-15-2020, 9:50 AM

I received another email from APMEX advertising silver bars and rounds from 9Fine Mint.

Here's some of the listings that are apparently in stock:
100 gr. silver bar for $65.46
5 oz. silver bar for $102.30
10 oz. silver bar for $194.60
2 oz. silver round for $40.72
5 oz. silver round for $102.30
10 oz. silver round for $195.60

I've never bought any bars or rounds so I don't know if these prices are good or not. I've only bought coins and medals.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Spot price on APMEX's website is. $16.85 right now, so the premium is ~$2.70/oz on the 10oz pieces. Under NORMAL circumstances that's OK to a little high for 1oz coins, so it's high for bullion.
Old 05-15-2020, 1:01 PM

Bought 12 oz this week. They are from the royal mint in England and they are two ounce coins. Only six so I had to pay sales tax and price was effectively $4 over spot with tax. It’s what I wanted, two ounce coins, for I have dimes, quarters, a few halves, a dew silver dollars and some one ounce Eagles - Maple leafs and the like.
Old 05-15-2020, 5:25 PM

I received an order from the US Mint today. It was three American Liberty 2019 High Relief Silver Medals from the Philadelphia Mint. They are 2.5 oz 99.9% fine silver. They are the first 2.5 ounce medals ever produced by the U.S. Mint and are limited to 50,000.
I might have paid too much for them but they are very nice and I was happy to add them to my collection. I may try to pick up three more since they're limited.
Old 05-16-2020, 8:39 AM

Default nice

2.5 oz silver for $99.95 isn't a bullion buy its a collectors buy; nothing wrong with collecting if you have the resources for it. I have to be a little more practical so the best I could do was those English coins at about $4 over spot per ounce. Which sucks because that is $8 over per coin. Its why I only bought 6 and didn't go for the $1500 + order to avoid the sales tax.

Congrats on your purchase; its a nice coin and I wouldn't be shocked if bullion prices don't push it some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I received an order from the US Mint today. It was three American Liberty 2019 High Relief Silver Medals from the Philadelphia Mint. They are 2.5 oz 99.9% fine silver. They are the first 2.5 ounce medals ever produced by the U.S. Mint and are limited to 50,000.
I might have paid too much for them but they are very nice and I was happy to add them to my collection. I may try to pick up three more since they're limited.
Old 05-16-2020, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Congrats on your purchase; its a nice coin and I wouldn't be shocked if bullion prices don't push it some day.
Thank you. There are very nice looking coins and the fact that they are limited and the first of their type helped make the decision to buy them.
If they are successful I'm wondering if there may eventually be a 2020 version.
I know $99.95 for 2.5 oz is not a good short term investment but I saw them today on ebay for $139.95 so I feel a little better about spending the money.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You sure like to use "limited" a lot, as if it holds some value today or tomorrow. Stop throwing away your money.

"Limited" doesn't mean jack. When have you ever seen a product sold as "limited" or "collectors edition" go up in value? These will only appreciate based-on the value of the silver in the coin, not any rarity.

If you want a chance of silver coins to appreciate, buy proof editions.
Old 05-16-2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
You sure like to use "limited" a lot, as if it holds some value today or tomorrow. Stop throwing away your money.

"Limited" doesn't mean jack. When have you ever seen a product sold as "limited" or "collectors edition" go up in value? These will only appreciate based-on the value of the silver in the coin, not any rarity.

Collecting and investment are two separate thing. Don't confuse the two. It is true that proof AE are more desirable and collectible, but don't always have higher value. In fact earlier year AE, MS70 can have higher value than PR70. Even though there are more mintage of MS, less are grade MS70 making them rarer.

Collecting is for the enjoyment of the hobby. I may pay $150 for a coin that comes with a premium. I know I'll most likely will never get money back, but I'm fine with it cause I enjoy the beauty of the coin.

If you buy modern coins for investment thinking you'll get a great return on it in 10, 20 or 50 years from now, you are fooling yourself. Yes, some will go up in value, but most will lose or at best hold their value after the hype.

For investments, I rather buy and stack bu or junk silver. Spot is around $16 now, sell when it hit $50 like a few years ago.
Old 05-16-2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
First of all, don't concern yourself with me throwing away my money.
I buy silver coins and medals as a collection and not as an investment. I will never sell any of my coins because my collection will be left to my children some day. That was my plan from the beginning.
95% of the silver coins and coin sets I buy are proof. I don't even buy uncirculated. All of the silver medals I buy are 99.9%.
The fact that the American Liberty 2019 High Relief Silver Medal is the first 2.5 oz medal ever produced by the U.S. Mint may some day add to it's value. I bought three (I have three kids) just because I liked them. It is a very impressive medal.
I guess I should admit that this afternoon I ordered three more because I like them so much. That's right, I threw away another $300.
Old 05-18-2020, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When SHTF and your silver coins are an effective way to barter is it going to matter who minted it and what is on it? How much more value will an Eagle or Maple Leaf hold over a sunshine mint or imagine if you will some “obama” coin they sold in gift stores.

FWIW I’m intrigued with some English and German 2 oz silver coins from their mint. They have crazy mark ups on them unless you buy a lot and I thought about going over $1500 to avoid the sales tax.
Anyone that was into silver before SHTF will known what a Maple Leaf, a Brittania, A Libertad, an ASE, and etc. are. They will also known Sunshine mint, Englehard, RMC, etc.

Anyone that wasn't into silver before SHTF won't know the difference between an ASE and a commemorative .925 Franklin Mint bar; other than one is marked as being worth $1.00 fiat (which they are comfortable thinking in terms of).

Anyone that wasn't into silver before SHTF will think all of your 90% junk silver quarters are worth $0.25 dollars. It won't matter that they are 90% silver since they look pretty much like every other quarter out there.

No matter what, to the uninitiated (read: most people) you're going to have to convince them the silver has some value. It's not something they're used to, they won't trust it whether it's an ASE, a Maple Leaf, or Prospector. You're going to have to convince them it's worth a can of beans.

To the people that already know (coin dealers, etc.) they'll know that a 1 oz Prospector is 1 ozt of fine silver, just like an ASE, and trade accordingly (probably telling you it's worth less than an ASE because no one will trust it...)

At the end of it, you can't eat your silver; but it might keep stuff from growing in your water barrels.
Old 05-18-2020, 4:29 PM

Mine has the Sig Forum on one side and a copy of the Constitution's front page.

Got Zydrate?

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

"All Californians, like all citizens of the United States, have a fundamental Constitutional right to keep and bear common and dangerous arms. The nation’s Founders used arms for self-protection, for the common defense, for hunting food, and as a check against tyranny." Judge Benitez - March 2019
Old 05-18-2020, 9:24 PM

In the aftermath of a world changing event (sometimes referred to as SHTF) I would expect the value of silver to be determined by purity and weight. If that's the case then wouldn't a 1 oz 99.9% round be just as valuable as an American Eagle? I'm new at this but that's what I assume.

APMEX has been very good at processing and shipping orders. I placed an order this morning and was notified this afternoon that it had shipped. I ordered three more Libertads and six 2020 Tuvalu 1 oz Silver Black Flag coins from the Perth Mint. I'm trying to add some variety to my collection.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:16 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

2018 Krugerrands

Need a whole lot more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 05-19-2020, 12:12 AM

Those Krugerrands look nice but the proofs are a bit pricey compared to the BU. I normally prefer proof over uncirculated so that's what I would buy and I always buy in groups of three.
As I said earlier I'm looking for variety.
Old 05-19-2020, 7:43 AM

Just got an order of 72 Brit 1 ounce coins sent from JM Bullion at 4 bucks over spot; considering spot went up a bit today and my stimuli check came in (finally) I figured it was time. No sales tax finally!
Old 05-19-2020, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Just got an order of 72 Brit 1 ounce coins sent from JM Bullion at 4 bucks over spot; considering spot went up a bit today and my stimuli check came in (finally) I figured it was time. No sales tax finally!
That's quite an order, congrats. My orders are usually six or twelve coins at a time. I'm currently waiting on five orders to arrive so it does add up.
I've visited the JM site a few times and may place an order with them today. Also, those Krugerrands mentioned earlier look interesting.
Old 05-19-2020, 9:25 AM

I ended up placing an order with APMEX for six 2018 silver proof American Eagles.
I've had good luck with APMEX but I have read a negative comment or two about them. I don't recall anyone here posting about a bad experience with APMEX but I haven't been visiting the silver threads that long.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Default apmex

Apmex has been good to me as well; I have gotten most of my Canadian silver maple leafs from them - what few I have.

Quote:
I ended up placing an order with APMEX for six 2018 silver proof American Eagles.
I've had good luck with APMEX but I have read a negative comment or two about them. I don't recall anyone here posting about a bad experience with APMEX but I haven't been visiting the silver threads that long.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:00 AM

As I recall, the negative comments I've read referred to their silver bars and not their coins. But, I guess you'll always find one or two unhappy buyers no matter what the product is. I'll continue using them because they have quite a variety available and they ship the same day.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:58 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So after huffing & puffing about "limited" coins, you went and bought proofs huh?
Old 05-19-2020, 1:39 PM

Quote:
So after huffing & puffing about "limited" coins, you went and bought proofs huh?
In my reply to your original post I said that 95% of the coins and sets I buy are proofs and that I don't even buy uncirculated.
Old 05-19-2020, 5:52 PM

Precious metals will trade in a civilized society but I'm skeptical in SHTF as nutritional value is low.
Might make better trades with simpler things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book Eli.jpg (82.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg kfc-towelette.jpg (85.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-19-2020, 6:13 PM

Will anyone barter with me if I want to trade this. Not Precious metals, but still precious nonetheless. If no taker, I guess I can always use it as TP when SHTF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mtroutrookie.jpg (36.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-19-2020, 7:10 PM

What is or is not valuable in the aftermath of a world changing event would depend on the severity of the event. There could be a devastating event where simply surviving from day to day would be a challenge. Or there could be a lesser event that may set society back a hundred or two hundred years.
I think precious metals will be valuable except in the most extreme situations.
Old 05-19-2020, 7:16 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

I can't believe that even these things are $2.50 over spot

https://www.gainesvillecoins.com/pro...alo-design-new

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 05-22-2020, 1:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
Depends on the type of SHTF, silver has far less worth than food and water in some situations. If we learned anything lately it should be that toilet paper is true currency.
Or that our true currency is becoming toilet paper.
Old 05-28-2020, 4:29 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Except for a few Australian Silver Swan medals all of my silver proof coins are from the US Mint. So, they should be easily recognizable. I collect silver coins for fun and to eventually leave to my children.
In almost any crisis there's someone around with cash looking to buy valuables for a fraction of their worth. I would deal with someone like that rather than trying to buy a gallon of gas from Goober with a few American Eagle silver dollars.

I prefer to keep cash for a doomsday scenario. When you get into the habit of adding a couple of hundred here and a couple of hundred there it builds up faster than you think. You just have to stop yourself from digging into it if a new gun comes out that you want.
Cash is just another prep and has its own downside, such as high inflation or the government clawing cash back for electronic (paperless) money.

Cash is good if you don't set aside too much relative to your preps.

Preps/barter-able items are the the best thing to have if it gets ugly. Cash has no intrinsic value, and gold/silver is only useful during certain times.

I believe cash may only be useful when people haven't yet realized that the system is about to collapsed or when the breakdown is temporary. In a severe disaster cash will become meaningless.

People perceive gold to have intrinsic value over long periods of history. But its difficult to barter with in a chaotic environment.

I personally don't care for silver as a prep or long term inflation hedge.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-28-2020 at 4:31 PM..
Old 05-28-2020, 4:34 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf3 View Post
Will anyone barter with me if I want to trade this. Not Precious metals, but still precious nonetheless. If no taker, I guess I can always use it as TP when SHTF.
I'll trade you 12 rolls of TP for it.
Old 05-28-2020, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think the value will be there in a true SHTF. You'll be willing to take less just to get something you really need. The opening of Casablanca says it all. https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/143f302...6-5cf502f392ac
Old 05-28-2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Cash is just another prep and has its own downside, such as high inflation or the government clawing cash back for electronic (paperless) money.
Cash is good if you don't set aside too much relative to your preps.
Preps/barter-able items are the the best thing to have if it gets ugly. Cash has no intrinsic value, and gold/silver is only useful during certain times.
I believe cash may only be useful when people haven't yet realized that the system is about to collapsed or when the breakdown is temporary. In a severe disaster cash will become meaningless.
People perceive gold to have intrinsic value over long periods of history. But its difficult to barter with in a chaotic environment.
I personally don't care for silver as a prep or long term inflation hedge.
The silver is a collection to be handed down but the cash I keep is for emergencies. For example, I live in Southern California where a major earthquake could knock out power for weeks or even months depending on the magnitude. Without power ATM cards and credit cards would be useless but cash would be worth having.
As I mentioned earlier, the severity of an event would determine what would or would not be valuable. There could be some type of major global crisis that does not reach an apocalyptic level and society would eventually recover from or there could be a full blown "Book Of Eli" type event where the survivors would basically have to start over. In that situation I have no idea what would be valuable.
Old 05-28-2020, 8:51 PM

I have no idea what would be valuable

The answer is TP
Old 05-29-2020, 6:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Picked up 8 rolls of TP at the local Dollar Tree for $2+tx.

Under $0.50/roll=good deal!
$0.25/roll+TX, even BETTER!

Last edited by the86d; 05-29-2020 at 10:16 AM..