Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-20-2019, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
You could always buy a few lowers if you’re feeling adventurous.

All you’d have to do for a “freedom week” for aw (if we get it), is just remove one grip wrap on something you already own. I’d convert everything I owned. Heck, I would place a forward grip on my ruger pcc9 and anything else I could think of to convert everything, including removing bullet buttons.
Old 08-20-2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
All you’d have to do for a “freedom week” for aw (if we get it), is just remove one grip wrap on something you already own. I’d convert everything I owned. Heck, I would place a forward grip on my ruger pcc9 and anything else I could think of to convert everything, including removing bullet buttons.
I agree. The more I think about it I doubt we will be able to buy new. We will still have a 1in30 and a ten day wait. I doubt he will be able to address those. And I don't see how a stay of his ruling could be delayed 10days. But Benitez could legalize AWs allowing is to remove all the grip wraps. If that happens stock up on featureless now so you are good to go.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:12 AM

Tagged for review...
Old 08-21-2019, 3:06 AM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Bookmarked
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post
They're attempting to address the current situation where it's currently legal to possess and use magazines > 10 rounds except in fixed magazine semi-auto firearms with features. They're trying to get rid of that exception so that the magazines may be used in those specific type of firearms.
A 30rd mag in a mag locked 2.0 rifle just means I've got a bigger problem when it comes time to clear a malfunction in such a janky contraption.

I mean a win is a win, but it won't change my opinion on the practicality or desirability to own mag locked 2.0 rifles. It just isn't happening. No way, no how do I start converting featureless to mag locked 2.0. The Sparrow grip works just fine and leaves me with the most important feature of all - the standard mag release.

Of all the AW cases we could have gotten Benitez on, this one seems a waste. However, perhaps it is just me who can't see the long range potential of winning this case. I could be short sighted, I only play 2D chess.

Now can someone explain to me the 'Low Number Rule' that enabled this case to be transferred?

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-21-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 12:46 PM

Nothing more than Judge shopping.

It's amusing to see our guys using the liberals' tricks against them.
Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American… The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. - Tench Coxe, 1788
Old 08-21-2019, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
A 30rd mag in a mag locked 2.0 rifle just means I've got a bigger problem when it comes time to clear a malfunction in such a janky contraption.

I mean a win is a win, but it won't change my opinion on the practicality or desirability to own mag locked 2.0 rifles. It just isn't happening. No way, no how do I start converting featureless to mag locked 2.0. The Sparrow grip works just fine and leaves me with the most important feature of all - the standard mag release.

Of all the AW cases we could have gotten Benitez on, this one seems a waste. However, perhaps it is just me who can't see the long range potential of winning this case. I could be short sighted, I only play 2D chess.

Now can someone explain to me the 'Low Number Rule' that enabled this case to be transferred?

Or maybe he will rule that the AW laws are unconstitutional? Remember the magazine ruling was initially thought to only affect people who previously owned legal hi cap magazines. But then his ruling opened the door for everyone. So the ruling may not be as narrow as just affecting mag locked rifles.
Old 08-21-2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
If this case wasn't as focused on the magazine aspect, it's very unlikely that it would have been assigned to Benitez. Remember, this case was originally assigned to Judge Houston.

Quote:
When two cases are deemed similar, the case with the higher number (Miller) gets reassigned to the judge with the lower number case (Duncan).
Old 08-21-2019, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but wouldn't the likely result be that since this case so heavily relies on Duncan, and since Duncan is being appealed, this case would be held until Duncan is finalized?
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 08-21-2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but wouldn't the likely result be that since this case so heavily relies on Duncan, and since Duncan is being appealed, this case would be held until Duncan is finalized?
I would say that because the state is enjoined from enforcing the regulation regarding possession of large capacity magazines then it would stand that they can not dictate how we use them. I don't think Benitez will give a wide ruling and throw the AW regs. out the window like the Duncan case did (it was originally about people having to give up pre-2000 magazines) but rather the state will be enjoined from enforcing regulations against using LCMs in fixed magazine guns until the 9th circuit hears the duncan case.
Old 08-21-2019, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick237 View Post
I would say that because the state is enjoined from enforcing the regulation regarding possession of large capacity magazines then it would stand that they can not dictate how we use them. I don't think Benitez will give a wide ruling and throw the AW regs. out the window like the Duncan case did (it was originally about people having to give up pre-2000 magazines) but rather the state will be enjoined from enforcing regulations against using LCMs in fixed magazine guns until the 9th circuit hears the duncan case.
So a very minor victory.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 08-21-2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
So a very minor victory.
A major victory since most states have said these magazines can be banned and this ruling knocked out the ban and confiscation. A similar case was lost in NJ.

The longer the appeal, the more judges we get on the 9th. So the longer the case lasts, the better for us.
Old 08-21-2019, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
It's amusing to see our guys using the liberals' tricks against them.
I find it uplifting that these liberals may get a dose of their own medicine. They need to experience the awful feeling that their own personal values are constantly under assault, and that there is an active, organized force working against them, and won't stop until they are totally crushed.
Old 08-21-2019, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryMan92 View Post
A major victory since most states have said these magazines can be banned and this ruling knocked out the ban and confiscation. A similar case was lost in NJ.

The longer the appeal, the more judges we get on the 9th. So the longer the case lasts, the better for us.
Minor in relation to a particular category of firearm - IE. fixed mag.
Old 08-21-2019, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

Nice.

Tagged for future developments.

Looking forward to all the Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth from the
Anti-2A Zealots that infest California when Judge Benitez explains
the Bill of Rights to them. Again.

“Individual Liberty and Freedom
are not Outmoded Concepts.”

---- U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez

Noble
Old 08-24-2019, 12:33 AM

Tagged to follow but I will say the new judge is very knowledgeable about firearms , like really knows his stuff . I sat in on the ammo background hearing the other day and the judge was saying how he hunts or used to . When bringing up examples of questions he wanted answers to . He'd say something like . Lets say I'm a hunter and I have my Remington 700 in 7mm magnum with me . When talking about dove season he knew it was coming up , he talked about using #7-1/2 shot with a 12 gauge , New the price or 22lr and how we'll never see those cheap prices again and even properly used the word plinking in a sentence . Which I'll add none of which was fed to him , he brought all that up on his own .

It was clear he understood firearms and likely goes to the range several times a year . It was quite nice to know at least he understood what are side was saying . I can't imagine he's the type that thinks a firearm with the mag out and ammo near by is a functioning firearm , if you know what I mean .

Right now I think there would only be a select few better to hear this case , like Scalia or Thomas

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

Last edited by Metal God; 08-24-2019 at 12:37 AM..
Old 08-24-2019, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
I find it uplifting that these liberals may get a dose of their own medicine. They need to experience the awful feeling that their own personal values are constantly under assault, and that there is an active, organized force working against them, and won't stop until they are totally crushed.

Agreed, but let's be clear;

God, History, logic, law, the Constitution, basic reasoning are all on our side.

These leftists just "FEEL" that "AW's" are scary, therefore cause to trample all over innocent, law-abiding citizens' rights.

You don't have a RIGHT to impose your feelings on others.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:07 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Medley of Greatest Hits:

Mag ruling Duncan v. Becerra : check!

Family ruling Dees v. County of San Diego: check !

"One nation under God" banners ruling: Bradley Johnson, v. Poway Unified School District: check!

Ammo ruling: Rhode v. Becerra: pending!

Semi auto ruling Miller v. Becerra: Reassigned to him.

Old 09-08-2019, 9:47 PM

answer filed
https://www.scribd.com/document/4250...Becerra-Answer

― Plato
Old 09-08-2019, 10:01 PM
code Monkey

Quote:
To the extent a response is required, Defendants deny the allegations in paragraph 1
The AG is responding that it's not illegal to use LCMs in a fixed-mag rifle??

Quote:
Defendants lack sufficient knowledge or information to form a belief as to the truth of the allegations in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and eighth sentences of paragraph 3
Ironic statement of the century. They could have omitted everything after the first 4 words.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 PM

Can someone please help translate this for us lay people?
Old 09-11-2019, 2:06 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjayo88 View Post
The response is basically the DoJ saying, “We read the complaint. We don’t agree with any of the arguments in it and we think it should be thrown out.”
Old 09-11-2019, 1:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenemae View Post
The AG is responding that it's not illegal to use LCMs in a fixed-mag rifle??

Ironic statement of the century. They could have omitted everything after the first 4 words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjayo88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
The response is basically the DoJ saying, “We read the complaint. We don’t agree with any of the arguments in it and we think it should be thrown out.”
That's the pro forma 'we deny everything'.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM

edit sorry wrong thread

― Plato
Old 09-27-2019, 6:00 PM

First Amended Complaint For Declaratory and Injunctive Relief

The amended complaint expands the types of guns whose ban is being challenged in the lawsuit:

Quote:
Plaintiff Miller would also acquire a new semi-automatic, centerfire rifle from Plaintiffs John Phillips and PWG that does not have a fixed magazine but has one or more of the features listed in Penal Code § 30515(a)(1), having an overall length of less than 30” but more than 26”, but for the State’s laws, Defendants’ FFL dealer enforcement practices, and fear of arrest, prosecution, and loss of property and liberty under Defendants’ policies, practices, and customs.
Quote:
Plaintiff Hauffen desires to add to that firearm one or more of the features described by Penal Code § 30515(a)(1), such as a flash hider, pistol grip, or collapsible stock, and reconfigure it to an overall length of at least 26” but less than 30”, to reform such firearm into a standard configuration that is in common use for lawful purposes throughout the United States but not dangerous and unusual, and would but for the State’s laws and fear of arrest, prosecution, and loss of property and liberty under Defendants’ policies, practices, and customs.
Quote:
Plaintiff Rutherford desires to acquire from Plaintiffs John Phillips and PWG, possess, transport, and use for lawful purposes: (1) A semi-automatic, centerfire rife with one or more characteristics listed in Penal Code § 30515(a)(1), with an overall length of less than 30 inches but at least 26 inches; (2) A semi-automatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine but has one or more characteristics listed in Penal Code § 30515(a)(4); (3) A semi-automatic shotgun that has the characteristics listed in Penal Code § 30515(a)(6); and, (4) A semi-automatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine; and would but for the State’s laws and fear of arrest, prosecution, and loss of property and liberty under Defendants’ policies, practices, and customs.

Last edited by FirearmFino; 09-29-2019 at 6:51 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 09-27-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRT View Post
**** ya!

Truck yeah!!!
Old 10-07-2019, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
One notable difference being that our values are noble, honorable, righteous and pure while their "values" are well, piles of stinking crap!
John 10:10

iTrader: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1888351
Old 10-07-2019, 2:57 PM
Spent $299 for this text!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numpty View Post
One notable difference being that our values are noble, honorable, righteous and pure while their "values" are well, piles of stinking crap!
They believe exactly the opposite, though. An argument that will most assuredly always fall onto deaf ears is, "Because it's what I perceive, so that's the way it should be for everyone else, too." It doesn't matter who is saying it, what they're saying it about, or who is listening - that argument is never going to get anywhere.

It's better to just stick with facts.

For example, it's a lot easier to convince someone that AR-15's are in common use (using citations, charts, sales figures, etc.), than it is to convince someone that their moral compass needs calibration. Even Timothy McVeigh thought he was doing all the right things. Al Quaida, too. It's all about perception. I'd bet someone even told them their beliefs were wrong, once or twice. You have one perception, the opposition has another, and both believe theirs is the correct one, and is extremely unlikely to be convinced otherwise by simply getting told, "you're wrong and we're right because I said so."

I'm of the same belief as you - that what they believe in is probably bad for society. But they don't think that. They think what they believe in is noble, honorable, and righteous, and that what we believe in is a pile of stinking crap. So arguing back and forth over whose pile of crap is stinker is not very productive for anyone. JMHSPOC. (just my humble stinking pile of crap)

Last edited by CandG; 10-07-2019 at 3:16 PM..
Old 10-26-2019, 12:01 PM

DEFENDANTS’ NOTICE OF MOTION AND MOTION TO DISMISS CERTAIN CLAIMS IN FIRST AMENDED COMPLAINT

Quote:
Defendants move to dismiss Plaintiffs’ Second Amendment claim under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 12(b)(1) for lack of standing under Article III of the United States Constitution to the extent Plaintiffs seek to declare as unconstitutional and to enjoin California Penal Code sections 30800, 30915, 30925, 30945, 30950, 31000, and 31005.

Defendants also move to dismiss Plaintiffs’ Second Amendment claim under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 12(b)(6) to the extent Plaintiffs seek to declare as unconstitutional and to enjoin California Penal Code sections 30800, 30915, 30925, 30945, 30950, 31000, and 31005 on the ground that the FAC fails to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.
Old 10-26-2019, 8:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

“the FAC fails to state a claim upon which relief can be granted”

This seems to say we can’t fix our screwup so it should just be ok?

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 10-26-2019, 9:30 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God View Post
Tagged to follow but I will say the new judge is very knowledgeable about firearms , like really knows his stuff . I sat in on the ammo background hearing the other day and the judge was saying how he hunts or used to . When bringing up examples of questions he wanted answers to . He'd say something like . Lets say I'm a hunter and I have my Remington 700 in 7mm magnum with me . When talking about dove season he knew it was coming up , he talked about using #7-1/2 shot with a 12 gauge , New the price or 22lr and how we'll never see those cheap prices again and even properly used the word plinking in a sentence . Which I'll add none of which was fed to him , he brought all that up on his own .

It was clear he understood firearms and likely goes to the range several times a year . It was quite nice to know at least he understood what are side was saying . I can't imagine he's the type that thinks a firearm with the mag out and ammo near by is a functioning firearm , if you know what I mean .

Right now I think there would only be a select few better to hear this case , like Scalia or Thomas
Glad he knows his HUNTING rifles and SG's but that's NOT what's being litigated in the lawsuit. Our biggest problem is that "most" gun owners (like hunters) don't know, need or like "evil black rifles" and thus don't care if they are banned. Now if we told us all about his AR's or AK's I'd be a bit more hopeful.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
Glad he knows his HUNTING rifles and SG's but that's NOT what's being litigated in the lawsuit. Our biggest problem is that "most" gun owners (like hunters) don't know, need or like "evil black rifles" and thus don't care if they are banned. Now if we told us all about his AR's or AK's I'd be a bit more hopeful.
Huh? There is no difference. Hunters know this, the judge knows this and you by your postings in the hunt forum shows you don’t know hunting or hunters. Today, many many hunters use an AR platform to hunt with.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:24 PM

Could anyone recommend an official website where I can track 2nd amendment related upcoming court dates ?
Old 10-30-2019, 3:53 PM

MEMORANDUM OF POINTS AND AUTHORITIES IN SUPPORT OF DEFENDANTS’ MOTION TO DISMISS CERTAIN CLAIMS IN FIRST AMENDED COMPLAINT
Old 10-30-2019, 5:44 PM
Banned

The memorandum,

More of Becerras double talk. The State has had 3 tries at this, Roberti-Roos 1989, SB23 Perata's abortion in 2000. Also 2016 or so in the bullet button declaration as an assault weapon. How much longer is this going to go on? When will the house of cards finally fall? I hope Honorable Judge Benitez shoves a size 22 Shaq sized boot straight up Becerras fat liberal ***. Amen A2
Old 11-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Am I understanding the amended complaint correctly by interpreting it as basically making this suit into a vehicle to challenge the CA AWB wholesale?
Old 11-02-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
You’re a lib... how the **** are you going to say anything about fighting for 2A rights! You’re the enemy by default!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
Am I understanding the amended complaint correctly by interpreting it as basically making this suit into a vehicle to challenge the CA AWB wholesale?
From how I'm reading it and from how the defense filed their motion to dismiss, yes.

Seems like this is going after the 50 BMG ban as well. It's a shame 50 BMG receivers are expensive (but AR/HK/AK stripped-lowers are another story).

You can bet either the MSM will stay real quiet about the AWB getting struck down or will explode into a frenzy.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:41 AM

How can we find out when they set a court date ?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbecker View Post
How can we find out when they set a court date ?
Quote:
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that, on December 16, 2019, at 10:30a.m., or as soon thereafter as the matter may be heard before the Honorable Roger T. Benitez in Courtroom 5A of the Edward J. Schwartz U.S. Courthouse, located at 221 West Broadway, San Diego, California 92101
We might get a response right before the holidays, or around Thanksgiving if we're lucky.