Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 05-15-2020, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Are the PCP air pumps any good?

When I bought my Benjamin Marauder, I bought the hand pump and it takes forever to pump. I thought about getting a specialized pump, but the only one available was really expensive and it had to connect to a normal compressor first.

However, I see on Amazon/eBay that there are now cheaper pumps. Well, still expensive, but cheaper than before and no pre-compressor needed.

Any thoughts? Or just keep on hand pumping?

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 05-15-2020, 5:01 PM

Keep in mind that this is only an opinion, and I own neither a Marauder or a pump, but, when talking to Tim MacMurray at Mac1 Airguns, he told me that he rebuilds quite a few Marauders that have had components corroded as a result of moisture that has entered the gun because of people using hand pumps.

The thing is, most hand pumps don't do such a great job separating the moisture from the air you're pumping into your gun.

I have a few PCP air rifles and would never consider using a hand pump to fill them.
Old 05-15-2020, 7:23 PM

I owned a Hatsan Flashpup PCP airgun in the past before selling it on Calguns.

The aesthetics of it are great and the bolt action is something to get used to as you can by accident, chamber 3 pellets and fire. A benefit of a PCP is you are not bound by AW laws as well, so pistol grips and bullpup actions are completely fine. PCPs can end up being expensive if you intend to shoot them on a regular basis and you'll end up spending about $300 for the compressor pump alone or waste your breath using the hand pump which could take about 30-45min to fill the pcp from empty to full.

Some benefits I can think of is that it is backyard friendly and very quiet provided you have a decent backstop. And if ammo supply dries out, making 22 cal pellets will be more feasible than making live ammunition. The hand pump can be used if electricity ain't available in worst cast scenario.

I would much rather spend the money on a 22lr rifle. It is more affordable and powerful than a PCP setup. And perhaps 22lr ammo is almost comparable in price to 22 cal pellets.
Old 05-15-2020, 8:51 PM

An air compressor, either a standalone or one that couples with an oil-free compressor, is ideal for PCP air rifles. Before that, I’d get a 97 cubic inch air tank for refilling. Ideally you’d have both but you can get your tank filled at airsoft stores, even a fire station if you have connections. As mentioned earlier, the moisture in the air is a huge negative for air rifles. When it’s all said and done, you’ll likely find air rifles a total blast. Sadly your rodents won’t share that opinion.
Old 05-16-2020, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
I owned a Hatsan Flashpup PCP airgun in the past before selling it on Calguns.

The aesthetics of it are great and the bolt action is something to get used to as you can by accident, chamber 3 pellets and fire. A benefit of a PCP is you are not bound by AW laws as well, so pistol grips and bullpup actions are completely fine. PCPs can end up being expensive if you intend to shoot them on a regular basis and you'll end up spending about $300 for the compressor pump alone or waste your breath using the hand pump which could take about 30-45min to fill the pcp from empty to full.

Some benefits I can think of is that it is backyard friendly and very quiet provided you have a decent backstop. And if ammo supply dries out, making 22 cal pellets will be more feasible than making live ammunition. The hand pump can be used if electricity ain't available in worst cast scenario.

I would much rather spend the money on a 22lr rifle. It is more affordable and powerful than a PCP setup. And perhaps 22lr ammo is almost comparable in price to 22 cal pellets.
cool story bro
Old 05-16-2020, 10:03 AM

I've been shooting a marauder for years using just the hand pump and haven't had any moisture buildup. And pumping it from 1500 to 2800 takes less than 10 minutes. Nobody should be letting it get down to empty.

You can get a tank for a quick refill and then top it off with the pump. A normal scuba can get you to 2500 or 2600. A PCP tank can get higher IF filled properly.

My buddy has this and it does work faster and is easier to pump than the marauder pump.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_V..._4500_PSI/7804
Old 05-17-2020, 5:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A hand pump was never an option for me. I bought a couple of carbon fiber air tanks and had them filled at a scuba shop. I ended up having to go there way too often since my PCP's are 250-300bar. So I found a good deal on a used dive compressor, a Coltri MCH-6 with both electric and gas motors. Life is good now.
Old 05-17-2020, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
A hand pump was never an option for me. I bought a couple of carbon fiber air tanks and had them filled at a scuba shop. I ended up having to go there way too often since my PCP's are 250-300bar. So I found a good deal on a used dive compressor, a Coltri MCH-6 with both electric and gas motors. Life is good now.
Me too. I have a Hill Pump but never use it. I have one of those cheap Chinese compressors use it to fill a Scuba tank and a Ninja Carbon fiber tank.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

The Yong Heng is the go to COVID compressor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24aGHnsCeKc
Old 05-23-2020, 1:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Back from Lithuania. Still running from folks in Esotonia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
When I bought my Benjamin Marauder, I bought the hand pump and it takes forever to pump. I thought about getting a specialized pump, but the only one available was really expensive and it had to connect to a normal compressor first.

However, I see on Amazon/eBay that there are now cheaper pumps. Well, still expensive, but cheaper than before and no pre-compressor needed.

Any thoughts? Or just keep on hand pumping?
Are you kidding... Invest in a HP steel 120 Scuba cylinder and get the quick change nipple refill kit for $30. Refill you back to 3000 PSI in about 30 seconds... You can even go for them fancy paintball gun cylinders for compressed air for about half the price of the cylinder.

Hmmm. I wonder if you can put an inline dryer on that refill kit...

Oh and when you are ready for a killer Bullpup stock, I just got mine a few months ago. I will be installing it soon. LOVE it. It is a VIC stock from UK or Poland or whereever he is at.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 05-23-2020 at 1:26 AM..