Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-30-2020, 3:53 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Here's one on gunbroker.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872467807

I have no connection to the seller...
Quote:
It sold for $1895. I don't need it for that price. If things continue like this I will just wait until next year or some year when things calm down. I can live without.

That's ridiculous. There's nothing special about that gun. It is/was a $1099.00 gun in my LGS 1.5 years ago.

Right here:

IMG_0656.jpg

These command a higher retail price due to the XS Sights Systems' pic rail, ghost ring rear and white blade, square post front sight. Purchased separately, they're something around $120.

Either way... $800 above street price? Are things that bad out there?

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

."Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 06-30-2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Wait! What? I thought it already was.
Well they could have snuck that in there without me knowing, but I thought we were still just at LCI, MD and Microstamping.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 06-30-2020, 5:03 PM

Did you get it yet?
Old 06-30-2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
GeeBee49, if decide to start handloading again, ask right here. Got a couple of loads for those two that will work nicely.
MLC
Thank you, I will do that.
Old 06-30-2020, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Could it be due to Remington's plan for bankruptcy?
Old 07-01-2020, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Could it be due to Remington's plan for bankruptcy?
That and the apparent buyer, the Navajo Nation, had said a couple years back that they would only go for military contracts and cease consumer sales. If we are lucky they will sell the Marlin brand off to another gunmaker.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Old 07-01-2020, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
That and the apparent buyer, the Navajo Nation, had said a couple years back that they would only go for military contracts and cease consumer sales. If we are lucky they will sell the Marlin brand off to another gunmaker.
Ha! Maybe Henry will buy Marlin from the Navajo Nation. That would set the Marlin Owners Forum folks hair on fire! Those two rifles are built closer than most people think.

MLC
Old 07-01-2020, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ha! Maybe Henry will buy Marlin from the Navajo Nation. That would set the Marlin Owners Forum folks hair on fire! Those two rifles are built closer than most people think.

MLC
I gather that there exists some level of consternation between fans of Marlin vs Henry?....
Geeezzzz....folks could learn a few things from one another if they weren't so pig-headed.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Calling frequently is a total waste of time and energy. It doesn't get you special status and move you ahead of the line. All it does is piss yourself and the store employee off (if they care at all to be pissed). Retailers get goods from their distributors, who in turn get their stock from manufacturers. First come first served.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
$800 above street price? Are things that bad out there?

Supply and demand. There will be another wave as we get closer to November. Mark my words.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
Calling frequently is a total waste of time and energy. It doesn't get you special status and move you ahead of the line. All it does is piss yourself and the store employee off (if they care at all to be pissed). Retailers get goods from their distributors, who in turn get their stock from manufacturers. First come first served.
Thats usually my approach. I asked this question mainly because I wondered what the likelihood is of just getting it. That being said my nephew in law worked there for two years and he said there is no real first come first serve. He said each story has a list they check each week to see whats in the warehouse and it routinely gets forgotten.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
I see the value of my Marlins going strait up ^^^

Somehow I don't see Cerberus Bankrupting Remington, the oldest gun maker in the country. Too much money invested in recent acquisitions to be lost on that one, and especially after just killing Tapco, Bushmaster and DPMS.

Now if they've been taken over by a bunch of Marxist Aholes then the play would be obvious, they are trying to disarm this country, which ain't gonna happen any time soon.

I need to ask around and see if this is true or BS?

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-01-2020 at 2:37 PM..
Old 07-01-2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakso View Post
Did you get it yet?
No not yet. Didn't expect it yet. Its only been a few days.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
That's ridiculous. There's nothing special about that gun. It is/was a $1099.00 gun in my LGS 1.5 years ago.

Right here:

Attachment 911417

These command a higher retail price due to the XS Sights Systems' pic rail, ghost ring rear and white blade, square post front sight. Purchased separately, they're something around $120.

The stock is also different. Even though I appreciate the look of the skinny original shapes and have some here in the safe, I am looking for the more meaty look of the pistol grip type stock. I like the way it feels better as I shoot.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Right here:

Attachment 911417

You know what we say....hindsight is 20/20. Had I known what was going to happen in today's world when that pictures taken, I would have traveled the state and bought up a whole bunch.
Old 07-01-2020, 3:05 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I bought my CSBL for $800 and had free shipping. I paid the taxes on it when it came here, my local guy charged me fifty bucks for the receiving fee. Then I paid another 150 to have it threaded, with intentions of shooting out of state with some friends that have legal suppressors, which I still haven't done.

I tinker with the idea of selling it fairly often, as I have a LOT of fun shooting it and it's a great rifle, but I don't really need it. I've got other older JM stamped 357 1894s.
Old 07-01-2020, 3:07 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Holy crap. There are ZERO listed on Gunbroker right now. Are they that scarce?

Maybe I should think about selling... :/
Old 07-01-2020, 3:11 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^ ^ ^ Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazelag View Post

The stock is also different. Even though I appreciate the look of the skinny original shapes and have some here in the safe, I am looking for the more meaty look of the pistol grip type stock. I like the way it feels better as I shoot.

The stock on all SBL, whether 1895 or 1894 are the same exact stock. Yes, it's a pistol-grip, or, curved "palm swell" style stock different than the straight stocks on the 1894 carbines. Too, Marlin offers a Model 1895 in a straight stock, the 1895 G and GS.

All Marlin stocks are interchangeable, although going from straight to curved and back again requires the trigger plate and lever too.

I agree that the palm swell feels better in the heavier-hitting calibers. Oddly enough, of my five Marlin, it is sadly reversed. My .45-70 and .30-30 and .357 are all straight stocked with my .44 Mag SBL and my .41 Mag FG curved.

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg
"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

."Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-01-2020, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
I gather that there exists some level of consternation between fans of Marlin vs Henry?....
Geeezzzz....folks could learn a few things from one another if they weren't so pig-headed.
You're right about that. The Marlin folk just can't stand the Henry's for the most part. Mostly because of the tube fed Henry's. Stupid. We're not in any fire fights here. And, if you cannot hit what you're aiming at with 9-10 rounds, the shooter shouldn't be shooting anyway.

MLC
Old 07-01-2020, 4:12 PM

"I need to ask around and see if this is true or BS?"

Randy

Randy,

I think you are right that the present management at Remington has invested a lot of money.

The rumor about the Navajo nation buying Remington is based in the Nation's previous attempt in 2018 that was rejected. They have openly stated that they want to end civilian sales and concentrate on military contracts. The same strategy that almost destroyed Colt.

They also want to focus on developing smart gun technology. They have stated that they are indifferent to the manufacture and sale of MSR's.

Taken as a whole their business plan did not generate a lot of confidence so it was turned down, I believe by one of the trustees in the bankruptcy hearings (I'm going from memory here.)

All things considered I will continue to buy new Marlins for my grandkids gun trust. And hold on to my old ones.

Steve in N CA
Old 07-01-2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
You're right about that. The Marlin folk just can't stand the Henry's for the most part. Mostly because of the tube fed Henry's. Stupid. We're not in any fire fights here. And, if you cannot hit what you're aiming at with 9-10 rounds, the shooter shouldn't be shooting anyway.

MLC
I don't know, I am a Marlin fanatic but I have owned a Henry. The tube feed and loading did not bother me at all.

I returned the Henry for manufacturing defects. I can see why guys like them but for me they just don't speak to me like my 1894's, old and new.

Steve in N CA
Old 07-01-2020, 4:41 PM

At least Henry has started to put side loading gates on some of their models...took em long enough.

Old 07-01-2020, 5:39 PM

I emailed Marlin about the 1894s. They said "they are currently in production." Thats all they said. I didn't ask about specific models. But its good news they are building guns.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
I emailed Marlin about the 1894s. They said "they are currently in production." Thats all they said. I didn't ask about specific models. But its good news they are building guns.
Good to hear...makes you wonder how they would prioritize models if just about all of them are scarce...go for the high end models first and run the risk of not selling many per month or go for the basic models with lower profit margin but would generate more sales per month? Or can they produce a little of each simultaneously?

Old 07-01-2020, 7:30 PM

A lot of what everyone is producing is what they have a supply chain for; anything contracted out is likely also backed up. In the case of the csbl it has sights that are manufactured by a supplier and I have been told the stock is not produced in house either. That puts it in the less likely pile, which is a shame because they are super neat. I went with the cst, but it was basically a coin flip on which I preferred.
Old 07-02-2020, 6:39 AM

Quote:

MLC
Let's not forget that there are thousands of spectacular tube fed lever action Marlins out there. .22 caliber models 39, 39A, 39D, 39M, 1897AO, 1897 Cowboy, Century LTD. and the Golden Mountie series. I'm sure there are more models of tube fed Marlins that I haven't listed but you get the idea. If you've never shot one, do yourself a favor and ask someone who has one if you can fire it a couple of times. I did that last year and now own a 1957 39A and a 1972 Original Golden-39M.
Old 07-02-2020, 7:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Let's not forget that there are thousands of spectacular tube fed lever action Marlins out there. .22 caliber models 39, 39A, 39D, 39M, 1897AO, 1897 Cowboy, Century LTD. and the Golden Mountie series. I'm sure there are more models of tube fed Marlins that I haven't listed but you get the idea. If you've never shot one, do yourself a favor and ask someone who has one if you can fire it a couple of times. I did that last year and now own a 1957 39A and a 1972 Original Golden-39M.
I do have a 39A. A '57 like yours. My favorite rimfire to shoot. As you mentioned, many, many tube fed rifles out there in various calibers. It just seems some Marlin owners go bonkers over the tube fed center fires. Funny.

MLC

Last edited by pennstater; 07-02-2020 at 7:21 AM..
Old 07-02-2020, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Thursday, I ordered the Marlin 1894 CSBL .357 from Turners in Victorville. They didn't have one in the warehouse and seemed iffy on it ever coming in.

My family member used to work there and said there is no automated list to keep track of orders and that a person just has to check each week to see if one came in. He said many times those orders end up sitting forever and not followed up on.

Does anyone know the process or know if Marlin will be shipping them to Turners in the Future?

Any suggestions to follow up with out being a pain?

I purchased a Savage Axis II a few years ago from Turners and they had one display model in a nearby store, but I wanted NIB. I called a few times over a few weeks and they eventually assigned me a serial number and ran my paperwork, assuring me they had a new rifle from the warehouse. When the day came to pick it up, I could tell this wasn't NIB, it was the display model that had been an hour away at another store the entire time. So I ended up waiting for several weeks just to start the background check for no real reason, was lied to about it being NIB, and was stuck in a position to take it or leave it with money wasted since the background had been run already. The manager gave me a single box of ammo for the poor service. Rifle is fine, just needed a good cleaning. But that was the nail in the coffin for Turners for me. Just wish they were open and honest about it and didn't waste weeks moving a display rifle from one store to the next.

I don't think you're in the same boat, as Marlin will almost certainly continue to make that model. I also don't think the Marlins are the guns flying off shelves right now, so the abnormal demand factor is likely not too much of an issue. As others have mentioned, Turners does source their guns from Davidsons and a few other suppliers (found this out when I was looking into a Winchester Trails End Takedown), so they are waiting on someone else to get your rifle in and pass it along to Turners.

If you end up moving the money to something else, consider keeping an eye on galleryofguns. They are the online store for Davidsons directly. You can shop guns there, pick from a selection of pre-approved FFLs and they'll ship the gun to them. They have you pay a deposit online, the rest is paid to the FFL when you go do paperwork. Their "gun Genie" let's you compare costs of buying the same gun from various FFLs, including DROS, taxes, etc. So you get an out the door cost before you commit. I got two 1995 Guide Guns that way and would gladly do it again. Davidsons also backs any guns they sell with a lifetime warranty.

I hope Turners simply calls you soon with a beautiful new Marlin waiting for you!
Old 07-02-2020, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
I don't think you're in the same boat, as Marlin will almost certainly continue to make that model. I also don't think the Marlins are the guns flying off shelves right now, so the abnormal demand factor is likely not too much of an issue.
I've heard there is an uptick in hunting licenses due to Covid and Marlins are handy when stalking in the woods, and a lever-action rifle is better than a bolt gun for home defense if all the semi-auto rifles are sold out, plus there's the cool factor of a levergun over a bolt gun...