Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-09-2019, 8:31 PM

Default What has PG&E Outage Taught You?

I live out in the woods in Placer county. It’s been a nice “soft” dry run for preps. Generator running fine; plenty of fuel. Lots of non perishables for sustenance. Although well pump is down (could easily remedy) the 3K gallon storage tank is delivering on expectations.
My biggest surprise is how unprepared my neighbors are. Very thankful I don’t live in a city.
Old 10-09-2019, 8:52 PM

Hey “neighbor”... which hill are you on??? Lol!
Old 10-09-2019, 9:06 PM

Reminded me of how those who lack effort look down on those who make the effort. We are self powered, antenna for TV, and at least when others are at work or sleep, good cell internet. This is without resorting to the RV as a lifeboat. Got some dirty looks when I was repositioning portable solar this afternoon... If anyone asked for some power, I would gladly share any extra. Could even setup tv outside. We tried to offer help after our quake of a few years ago, and it was not pleasant, sort of a mind your own business in reply. So we stopped offering... and just go about our business. Foolish pride is currently sitting in the dark with spoiled food.
Old 10-09-2019, 9:11 PM

Preppers!! It’s your 2 or 3 days to shine!!! Basque in it! Lol! Kidding, we’ll sort of, all my basic needs are met and we are comfy but still.
Old 10-09-2019, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Most people are dumb.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-09-2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Most people are dumb.
"Did you know that?".
Old 10-09-2019, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Peppers are easy targets. Non-preppers are Catholic...
Old 10-09-2019, 9:47 PM

Any chance PG&E gets lots of lawsuits over this since no real emergency or disaster has appeared on the horizon? this is unbelievably stupid but when the idiots born after 1960 get mad enough maybe this joke of a utility will cease to exist. but then californians are welfare people in mentality even when they are working and paying taxes. and where is our governor?
Old 10-09-2019, 9:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don’t buy an electric car which requires a hard wired power source.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 PM

It hasn't taught me anything I didn't already know but I hope it has taught other Californians how corrupt this state is and that the politicians don't give a crap about them. Maybe they'll wise up and carry the bastards out of the state capitol nude and then tar and feather them.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 PM

No one is ready for the boogaloo
Old 10-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Those little pocket-size AM/FM radios (2xAA batteries) never let me down since the 1960’s.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

PG&E doing CYA
Any lawsuits from this are going to be cheaper than another fire.
Old 10-10-2019, 2:00 AM

PG&E is trying to piss off everyone in their service area to make it impossible to find an impartial jury. The trial(s) will be moved to an area where people don't care
Old 10-10-2019, 2:44 AM

Hey OP, what’s your prepper setup? Curious how you’re fully powered, any info?
Thanks for bringing this up.
Old 10-10-2019, 4:41 AM

Default What has PG&E Outage Taught You?

...that even though I'm not directly impacted at my place (SMUD - Sac Muni Util Dist - not PG&E for electricity), that I have the capacity to help one of my daughters and two of my best friends who are. Daughter & Hubby live on the NE edge of Lincoln, CA (kinda rural fringe of bedroom community) - about 40 miles from me - only been there about 6 months and now realize, "Oh...this s**t can happen". I delivered a generator to them yesterday, showed them how to set it up, and otherwise walked them through what to prioritize/think about/prep for going forward. My two buddies - one in Colfax and one in Cool - are doing okay as they are more experienced having lived up there for 20+ years each, but I've offered my spare generator to either just in case they need a backup.
Old 10-10-2019, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
Any chance PG&E gets lots of lawsuits over this since no real emergency or disaster has appeared on the horizon? this is unbelievably stupid but when the idiots born after 1960 get mad enough maybe this joke of a utility will cease to exist. but then californians are welfare people in mentality even when they are working and paying taxes. and where is our governor?
Think it's bad now? Wait until pge is fully run by the state...
Old 10-10-2019, 6:38 AM
Calguns Addict

This emergency du jour hasn't taught me anything new. I live out in the sticks and 911 response is 1/2 hour at best.
Having a genny, fuel, stored grub and medical supplies + training has always been SOP for us.
We get frequent power outages anyway so the current man made incident won't leave any marks.

https://m.pge.com/#outages
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-10-2019, 6:42 AM
:)
CGN Contributor

This may sound bad, but I was sort of looking forward to this as a dry run. Turns out I'm in a tiny little pocket in my area of the city that has power. In the predicted power outage map, I was overlapped by three different outage prediction grid things. I figured it would be out for sure. I'm not complaining about it, I was just ready to take advantage of the situation and test some of my preps.

Last edited by dgc357; 10-10-2019 at 6:48 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 8:02 AM

If it can go wrong it will - Pull rope broke on the generator this morning...20 min fix but not what I was planning on at 4:30am with a headlamp and before a shower and cup of coffee
Old 10-10-2019, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Pro Tip: That old laptop that you have? It can be used as a power bank to power your smart phones. Connect the phone to the USB port in the laptop, and juice it. So don’t forget to keep your old laptop battery fully charged, it could come in handy.

(* I am doing it as now, during this ridiculous PG&E power shutdown.)
Old 10-10-2019, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Its taught me that I am smart for living somewhere with less fire risk that I dont have to worry about having the power shutoff. So I can focus my prepping on other risks.

Seriously though, the #1 threat in CA is fire, followed by earthquakes, followed by an earthquake causing multiple fires. How is anyone surprised by this?

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 10-10-2019 at 9:13 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 9:41 AM

It taught me something awesome. It started when I was out of state. My wife and kids are just fine. They pulled out the generator to keep the fridge and freezer going and are doing way better than just getting bye. We are hosting breakfast and hot showers for our neighbors tommorow. It taught me my family will be great in any emergency until I'm able to get back home.
Old 10-10-2019, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpython View Post
"Did you know that?".
I see what you did there, in your best Mini-AOC voice.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
PG&E is under no obligation to provide you power. Just like the cops are under no obligation to help you. Additionally this would fall under an act of GOD.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Check up on the devices that have batteries in them, or don't store batteries in them at all. Several were close to leaking but fortunately didn't leak.

Goal zero nomad for charging phones, is pretty efficient at charging up the AA bank of batteries. Glad I bought it.

We have propane tanks to spare (not that it mattered in this scenario since we still have natural gas) BUT we actually don't have anything to boil water or stove top cook something. So I'll need to go on amazon and buy a propane single boiler. We are set though if we want to grill burgers

I need to approach the generator from a two prong approach. Gas generator is great to keep our refrigerator and freezer going but if this was prolonged like a quake, I think we will need something for when the fuel runs out. Maybe a jackery 290 w/ 100W solar panel. It won't run the fridge, but that shouldn't matter because at that point hopefully we will have consumed most of the perishables by the time we used up the fuel for the generator. The jackery will at least provide light/fan/charging devices etc.

Glad I loaded up on latterns and headlamps. I found I use them more in general than flashlights.

Check up on your parents and older relatives to make sure their flashlight they had sitting in the drawer for 5 years unused, is actually operational. My mom had some D battery maglites with cells that had a use by date of 2009. Don't know why it didn't leak already.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 AM

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people that were 0% prepared for this. No extra batteries, didn't buy any ice, no way to cook food, etc. This was a planned outage. Imagine what would happen in a catastrophe.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:22 AM
In Memoriam

What have I learned?

We must overthrow the Democrat supermajority in the state legislature

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 10-10-2019, 3:07 PM

Seamless. House in town and the ranch are powered with a gen set hard wired to the house and propane tank. Ranch has solar- battery- gen set and we didn't even notice.

Neighbors in town stayed at our house last night because they didn't have power. Ended up with 3 family's have a get together. I'm sorry I missed the party.
Old 10-10-2019, 3:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Killer View Post
PG&E is under no obligation to provide you power. Just like the cops are under no obligation to help you. Additionally this would fall under an act of GOD.
Do you want to provide some evidence that there is no contract between PG&E and its customers, ergo no obligation to provide power?
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 10-10-2019, 3:21 PM
Veteran Member

It's reaffirmed that fact that the rich and powerful always get theirs.

If you'll notice on the outage maps, almost the entire Silicon Valley is not in any outage zones. The rich and powerful companies that populate Santa Clara and San Mateo counties along the western edge of the SF bay are completely unaffected. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I live in the heart of it. So no outages for me. Though I do have my generator at the ready and I just ordered a real nice solar panel and power station setup which should arrive next week.

Also have propane and white gas stoves, multiple LED lanterns, headlamps, and flashlights, plenty of batteries, etc.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 10-10-2019, 3:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
It's reaffirmed that fact that the rich and powerful always get theirs.

If you'll notice on the outage maps, almost the entire Silicon Valley is not in any outage zones. The rich and powerful companies that populate Santa Clara and San Mateo counties along the western edge of the SF bay are completely unaffected. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I live in the heart of it. So no outages for me. Though I do have my generator at the ready and I just ordered a real nice solar panel and power station setup which should arrive next week.
Link to the solar panel a and power station?
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 10-10-2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Do you want to provide some evidence that there is no contract between PG&E and its customers, ergo no obligation to provide power?
Can you provide a utility contract that does? Look at your power bill. Does it say anywhere that they are liable for power outages. If they were don’t you think they would already of been sued. Power goes out all the time. The only difference is we at least got a heads up.

Additionally electricity is not a right. Pge does not have to connect you to the grid. They own the lines. They can do what they want.

Pge at any time can decide that the power lines in some areas are to much liabilities and decide to cut people off permanently. So let’s not piss them off to much.
Old 10-10-2019, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Bought this kit:

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/kits/g...ase-solar-kit/

Added these two items:

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/cords-...cable-15-feet/

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/yeti-a...zation-module/

5% discount from "Becky" in customer service. And since the company is in Utah, I'm assuming no sales tax. Don't have my invoice yet.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

Last edited by sonofeugene; 10-10-2019 at 4:07 PM..
Old 10-10-2019, 4:10 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, the lithium ion power stations are the latest. They're phasing out the lead/acid battery stations.

Old 10-10-2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal20 View Post
Peppers are easy targets. Non-preppers are Catholic...

Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:

In this state, nothing would surprise me. But I did hear today that a transmission line tested bad this morning so it wasn’t totally for naught

Old 10-10-2019, 5:21 PM

From the outside looking in it has taught me to get a Natural gas/Propane dual fuel 22kw generator and solar panels with battery storage.
and
You can NOT rely upon Government.
For ANYTHING.
Old 10-10-2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post

CPUC rule 16. The contract period for service delivery is 10 years from when the service is installed. PG&E is required to serve electric or gas inside your service area. They are not required to serve both.

Old 10-10-2019, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Taught me that most folks are more clueless and out of touch than I thought.

The panic and suprise by the folks in my County and community is beyond my understanding.

For more than 20 years I have lived in the Sierras - I lose power for 12-36 hours many times a year. 48-96 hours at least once a year - typically three times a year or so - and lose power for 120+ hours every few years.

So why the panic from those who live through the same thing? Or are they all newly transplated flatlanders? They can't all be!

So why the suprise? This may be the largest premtive shut off, but it is far from the first, and PG&E warned us long before they started doing premptive shut offs.

We are into this... what 40 hours - Yawn.

I was stupid however.

1) I failed to test my generator prior, nor check to ensure the starter battery was charged

2) failed to check my gas supply. What I thought were full cans were empty. I had my rotation of cans switched in my head. (What was empty I thougth was full, and vice-versa.)

3) Even with my failures, - worst case scenario would be flushing toilets with stored water, some field baths and more time with flashlights rather than gensett power. I ran the generator for about 3 hours last night and plan to do the same tonight. Could have lived without it...

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)