Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default go to carry gun

Hi ladies,

I am sorry if there is already another thread on this topic, but I was not easily able to find it.

I am looking to get my CCW this spring or summer and am looking at different options of carry guns.

If price was not a factor (because technically off-roster guns are available if you want to pay the CA premium), which carry gun do you use/want and why.

The M&P Shield seems to be popular, but what else is out there?

Also, I do not tend to carry around a purse, so preferably something that i can wear. It seems to be a bit different for us because our clothing runs toward more form fitting vs the guys, which is why I am asking this here.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Not a lady, but

Wife carries a KAHR PM-9 or a KAHR P-380.

Both are smaller then the Shield, however my sister carries a Shield and loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 12-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

it is impossible for me to get a CCW in this county but I did shoot a low caliber Kahr one....and only once. hurt my hand. however, as noted above, many do like it.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 12-20-2018, 12:29 PM

I work part time at a gun store and the women I see who carry on their person often carry a sig p238.
Old 12-20-2018, 1:26 PM

Second for the Kahr P380. Small enough to carry all the time, big enough to shoot decently.
Old 12-20-2018, 4:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I do like the look of the p238. I currently have a S&W airweight 638 revolver, but it hurts my hand when i shoot it and so I tend to not want to practice with it too much. So, I totally understand the "hurt hand" problem.
The cylinder is also a bit bulky, so a bit hard to conceal under clothes. It has been a reliable firearm though being a revolver and all, but I don't think I want it as the main carry.
Old 12-20-2018, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by urduja View Post
I do like the look of the p238. I currently have a S&W airweight 638 revolver, but it hurts my hand when i shoot it and so I tend to not want to practice with it too much. So, I totally understand the "hurt hand" problem.
The cylinder is also a bit bulky, so a bit hard to conceal under clothes. It has been a reliable firearm though being a revolver and all, but I don't think I want it as the main carry.
I got both my wife and my sister a small rubber ball to squeeze 100 times every night when they go to bed. Now they only complain about a hurt hand after 4 days at FrontSight and both can work a slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 12-20-2018, 5:00 PM

Notice: This post is in the Womens Forum

urduja, speaking as a woman with a CCW weapon.....you need to go to the gun store and try out a bunch yourself. Grip them in your hand and, if the salesperson is ok with it, try and see how it might fit in your waistband. For some the S&W Shield is great, some the Glock 43, some the P238 and some the Khar....but it all depends on what works for *you*. I had someone suggest the XDM 9mm to me and he genuinely thought it would be a great choice. Nope...unfortunately, it was too "chunky", both in my hand and in my waistband. So, the best you can do is pick them all up and see how they fit. Then, take a couple shooting if the range offers them as rentals.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2018, 5:32 PM

was just about to suggest what BadKitty stated. first top is the gun store to handle as many pistols as you can. next thing is to rent at a gun range or go with a friend who will let you shot her/his pistol. handling a pistol just is not the same as firing a pistol. if you have a lot of semi-auto pistol experience you might be able to skip the gun range. I could not have done that when I first started purchasing pistols.

unfortunately, there is no one right answer that will work for every woman whether it be for CCW or not.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 12-20-2018, 5:59 PM

The P 238 is popular among my friends who carry. Small, well made (reliable) and pretty easy to shoot. I agree on the Kahr; I shot one once. One round. Ouch!
My go-to is a Ruger LC9s. Easy to conceal appendix or in purse, although so is the P 238. However the Ruger is 9mm, and carries 7 rounds +1. The original LC9 has a very long trigger pull, but the S model is shorter.

The Shield was not comfortable for me to shoot until I added a Hogue Handall grip. Huge difference. If I didn't have the LC9s I would carry the Shield.

Zombie and Kitty are giving you the best advice: try before you buy.
Old 12-20-2018, 6:38 PM

for me i LOVE my p238 for CCW. i use it 95% of the time. i love my cz p-01 but she's much harder for me to conceal unless i have a huge sweatshirt or over-sized t-shirt on.

i agree that you need to try various guns. i had narrowed my first gun down to a p238 and shield "on paper" but once i shot them, i ended up with the p238.

more specific to this thread question, when deciding which guns to put on my permit, i had the option of hubby's shield, my glock 19 or and EMP. i ended up putting hubby's EMP (mine was at springfield for warranty work so couldn't put it on m permit at the time) because the 19 was too fat (wider than the p-01) and i just personally don't like the shield. once you get recommendations, you'll need to shoot them and test conceal them.
Old 12-20-2018, 7:29 PM

The correct answer is that you will need at least three guns and at least two methods of carry per gun. For example, (not sure about the roster for these), a good combination of guns: Ruger LCP, Kahr PM9 and Glock 26. Revolver wise, an S&W 442 or Ruger LCR, S&W 66 Carry Comp, and S&W 686 Plus 3” would cover most needs.

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p
Old 12-20-2018, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you. It gets a bit tough renting out a mass of guns at the range, so if I'm able to narrow down some that has worked well, I can start with those.
So far the P238 is on the top of the list. I'll add in the Glock 26 because that seems like a popular choice too and the EMP because I really like the 1911 feel.
I know it's off roster here, but has anyone tried the Sig P320 sub compact? It is on favorite carry lists on the webs.
Old 12-20-2018, 8:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I carry a Glock 19Gen5, Glock 33 .357 sig, MP Shield 9, and a SW MP 340 revolver. I tend to carry the J Frame revolver most after a couple years of going back and forth with the Glocks and shield, the revolver seems to be the most comfortable.

Our Fullerton store is Open!
714.242.5400 - Info@ShootSoCal.com
10-6 Monday- Saturday, No Appointment needed.
1139 S Placentia Ave Fullerton CA 92831

Glock Optic Cuts Glock, M&P, Shield, CZ and 1911 Starting $125

FFL TRANSFER $50 / Ammo $25

We are hiring GUNSMITH position

Factory Trained and Certified CERAKOTE Applicator.

View our Online Gun Store here!
Old 12-21-2018, 11:42 AM

I should have added to my original post, the Ruger LC9 and LC9s are not on roster. Another off roster gun I would put on my permit (if I had room) is the Ruger SR9-C. It has rounded corners like the LC9s, smallish, points naturally (for me), and carries 10 rounds. They show up sometimes on the for sale forum, as do LC9s. Understand that I prefer a manual thumb safety and try to standardize on self defense guns that have one.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
If you are looking at a p238 (or any similar .380 single action pistols), make sure you can easily seep the safety off. I have seen some women have difficulty with the safety on the p238 as it is a bit small and can be a bit "sticky."

I agree with what BadKitty says. Try a bunch out. We all like different guns and all have different hand sizes, waist sizes, and wear our clothes differently, etc.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 12-21-2018, 6:08 PM

My wife loves her P238. However on that note she recently shot my sons P938 which is almost identical but chambered in 9mm and just a hair bigger than the P238. She loved that one too. She said the difference in recoil is definitely noticeable, but we loaded her up with some 147g rounds which produce less recoil than 115g or 124g and she was like I want one. So maybe my son can read this and realize Christmas is coming up. He lives in Utah so he would be able to gift his mom the gun. P938 is not on the California roster.
Old 12-21-2018, 7:09 PM

My wife's go to gun is a Smith & Wesson Model 66 with 2 3/4" barrel loaded with Speer 135 grain JHP. If she needs, she can grab and pull the trigger without worrying about slide, safety, or any other functions. She likes it.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakulya View Post
My wife loves her P238. However on that note she recently shot my sons P938 which is almost identical but chambered in 9mm and just a hair bigger than the P238. She loved that one too. She said the difference in recoil is definitely noticeable, but we loaded her up with some 147g rounds which produce less recoil than 115g or 124g and she was like I want one. So maybe my son can read this and realize Christmas is coming up. He lives in Utah so he would be able to gift his mom the gun. P938 is not on the California roster.
p938 is other half's go-to as well, but it's not roster. she's had no problems with the safety on hers, and the recoil is a bit less than the shield 9, since it's all metal, rather than polymer/metal. also a little smaller.

failing that, i think she'd go for the 238.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:44 PM
Banned

In free states, it usually comes down to two choices for 380 caliber pocket carry:

1) Sig P238 (on roster)
2) Ruger LCP 2 (off roster)

And then you also have the Kahr and Shield as mentioned in other posts. But IMHO 1) and 2) are the best for pocket carry.

LCP 2 is lighter and is striker fire. The P238 is a 1911 style firearm. I personally prefer the LCP 2 because I don't want to pocket carry a 1911 style firearm cocked. Also the LCP 2 can be used while jogging because it's so light. However, since I'm not sure if this is really necessary if you have a purse so pocket carry size may not be that important for you.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:27 PM

I forgot to mention I also own the EMP and while my wife does love the gun. It prints too much on her. She is small 5'2" 115 lbs. She carries gun at work EMP is way too noticeable. Her P238 hides very well though.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went to the range and tried out a bunch. And of course the ones I loved best, the Sig P365 and Glock 43 are BOTH off roster.
I keep teasing that they are slowly torturing us by allowing us to rent and try these off roster guns.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:03 AM

No No No!
There is only one top dog in the fight.
The sig P 365 is the new Master of defense I recommend to my daughters.
Micro size, 10 rnd mag of 9mm. Smaller then the Glock 43.
The P365 IS THE NEW STANDARD!!!
Check it out anyway you can.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2018, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
No No No!
There is only one top dog in the fight.
The sig P 365 is the new Master of defense I recommend to my daughters.
Micro size, 10 rnd mag of 9mm. Smaller then the Glock 43.
The P365 IS THE NEW STANDARD!!!
Check it out anyway you can.
Merry Christmas
And that was the problem. the P365 was GREAT! EVERYTHING you can want in a carry. 9mm, 10 rnds, very nice feel in hand, small, yet a great shooter and great sights out of the box and OFF ROSTER. Why California? Why?
Old 12-26-2018, 8:32 PM
Why Change the Default?

Quote:
Thank you. It gets a bit tough renting out a mass of guns at the range, so if I'm able to narrow down some that has worked well, I can start with those.
So far the P238 is on the top of the list. I'll add in the Glock 26 because that seems like a popular choice too and the EMP because I really like the 1911 feel.
I know it's off roster here, but has anyone tried the Sig P320 sub compact? It is on favorite carry lists on the webs.
I own a P320 (in Compact and SC), and it is a wonderful gun to shoot. But for me, it is a bit too thick to conceal well.

I also own a P239. I love it too. And, it is a bit too large to easily conceal for me.

I used to own a P939. Very small. 1911 style. But every shot hurt, so it was a non starter.

Besides my James Bond gun, the only non-Sig handgun I own is the M&P Shield, and that is the gun I always carry. I love Sig, but carry the S&W.

And, as several people have suggested, to the extent possible, try before you buy. I wish I had rented each of these before buying. It would have saved me a lot of money...

Kate
Old 12-26-2018, 8:49 PM

My wife carries a P238.
Old 12-26-2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I used to own a P939. Very small. 1911 style. But every shot hurt, so it was a non starter.

Besides my James Bond gun, the only non-Sig handgun I own is the M&P Shield, and that is the gun I always carry. I love Sig, but carry the S&W.

And, as several people have suggested, to the extent possible, try before you buy. I wish I had rented each of these before buying. It would have saved me a lot of money...

Kate
this surprises me a little, honestly, given the extra heft of the 938 vs the shield. It does underscore the importance of renting/trying, if possible. everyone's hands are a little different, and only you (the general "you") can figure out what really works for you.

on a side note, she (other half) DID add the sig rubber grip to her 938, and she's not a fan of my shields in the least.

couple other possibilities that come to mind that i haven't seen mentioned (though neither is on roster) are the Beretta Nano and Pico (9mm/.380).
Old 12-28-2018, 8:30 PM

I mostly carry an EMP. At 5’1 and 115, I can conceal it fairly easily. I have a .40 and the 9mm, and the .40 is absolutely reliable! I love it. The 9mm has had some issues, so is just a range gun atm. I also have the p938, as I will not carry a .380. It is ok. Plenty accurate, but though it looks like a 1911, it is not one. The trigger is junk in comparison. If you are used to DA revolvers, it may not be an isse for you. I also have a g43, with an aftermarket trigger that is pretty nice to shoot. It would be very easy to conceal, though I have not put it on my permit yet (we get 5 this year!). Finally, I just got a g19, and it actually seems like it would conceal surprisingly well carried appendix for me. What mode of carried have you tried? I usually carry 4:30ish in a hybrid holster, that works well with sweaters/flowy blouses/winter wear. I also use a Dene Adams corset in the summer (along with a concealment solutions S.H.E holster/trigger guard) and can pretty much wear anything without printing.
Old 12-29-2018, 6:17 AM

NOTE: THIS POST IS IN THE WOMEN'S FORUM

Quote:
I went to the range and tried out a bunch. And of course the ones I loved best, the Sig P365 and Glock 43 are BOTH off roster.
I keep teasing that they are slowly torturing us by allowing us to rent and try these off roster guns.

That's awesome that you tried out a few and I'm glad that you found a couple that are contenders. It may be a while until you can get one. Your options now are to a) go without a CCW at all until you are able to find one of your off-roster choices for sale or b) select an on-roster option. For me personally, the one I have is better than the one I don't have. Have you considered an on-roster gun so that you can actually buy one and have it available?
Old 01-02-2019, 2:42 AM

NOTE: This post is in the Womens Forum and pertains specifically to women's CCW needs. Gentlemen are certainly welcome to comment and contribute, as long as they are civil. We have RULES.

OP, this is an un-answerable question, if you're referring to a particular brand/model being "best". This is a very personal choice that has to do with your particular body and your individual shooting skills.

The truth is you should carry the gun that a) you are most accurate with AND b) you can conceal effectively.

So, weirdly enough, I shoot best with a full size .45 1911, but couldn't conceal it without a shopping bag. I can conceal a Colt .380 in the pocket of my jeans, but it's not that accurate. So, my choice is a Glock .40 subcompact. But that's ME, MY skills, MY body. Your choice will be different. People here can tell you what THEY do, but no one can tell you what's ideal for you in particular.

(PS: I think you may be a new-ish shooter and you may think you are only going to buy one gun, ever. Believe me, that NEVER happens, and within three years you will have six guns and 14 holsters, just like the rest of us... )
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 01-02-2019 at 2:49 AM..
Old 01-02-2019, 6:24 AM

This is a different type of post from my first that made recommendations. The correct answer cannot be found by renting guns since almost any reliable handgun will do the job. A better response to your question is to tell you to attend training beyond your carry class training. Unfortunately, such classes are notifications of the law and proof of basic gun safety and shooting proficiency.

What is really needed is a more comprehensive level of training. There are too many misconceptions regarding shooting, carry, using a gun in self defense, criminal behavior, etc. Remember this: your gun is for fighting! People love the convenience of small guns but find out AT THE WRONG TIME that they are not great in gun fights. A gun fight is not the time to be learning! Start thinking of concealed carry as a martial art and lifestyle.

Therefore, I request that you seek out professional training prior to making a purchase. Use whatever gun they rent out. They should have several models to choose from and you can switch if necessary. You WILL learn what works and does not work for you in a handgun. Some guns look great on paper and feel “right” in the store (and even over the course of an hour of static shooting), but in reality have annoyances and deficiencies. A 16-40 hour course will reveal all pros and cons of a particular gun. You will learn which attributes you need and those you do not need. You will learn to shoot with one hand or two, stuff magazines hundreds of times, shoot from odd positions, learn to run your gun, shoot at moving targets while moving, and learn all sorts of tactics that you will need. Your CCW class never covered what to do if a criminal pins you in your car door as you get out of the car at Walmart.

Look at the list of instructors for the 2019 Range Master Tactical Conference. These are clueful professionals who know what they are doing. Many of them travel and you should be able to train with one in 2019. If you can only do one class in your life, attend MAG-40 with Mas Ayoob. If you can do only two, add Craig Douglas’ ECQC. These two classes maximize your training dollars for learned skills.

https://massadayoobgroup.com/mag-40/

http://shivworks.com/extreme-close-quarter-concepts/

http://rangemaster.com/2019-tactical-conference/

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p

Last edited by tomrkba; 01-02-2019 at 6:33 AM..
Old 01-02-2019, 6:41 AM

https://www.corneredcat.com/

she covers everything that is relevant for an inexperienced and/or experienced woman shooter.

if you haven't already discovered her website I recommend you dive in.
Quote:
Old 01-02-2019, 7:19 AM
Calguns Addict

My wife got mad when I sold our Detonics Combat Master. She loved that little 3.5" 45acp. I bought her a Glock 26. The off roster Glocks are not that much smaller to justify the cost. Also take a look at the Lady Smith revolvers or the hammerless Centenial. I tend to carry it most as it's light and compact and I doubt I'll never need more than 5 rounds. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...2-ls-ladysmith
Old 01-02-2019, 1:16 PM

urduja, you are getting a lot of people offering suggestions, which is great. I highly recommend that you focus on the advice coming from the more experienced women shooters. Some of the advice you are receiving is not at all practical for what you are asking us about today.

What you are asking us about today is for advice on purchasing a CCW weapon.

I live in San Diego. I know we don't live super close to each other; but, I have a Glock 42 and Glock 19 you can try out just for kicks. I am also willing to visit the gun store or range with you to help walk you through some options. Also, unless you own a gun already, you usually need a second person with you to rent a gun at most all ranges. If it helps to know, I'm a woman! LOL Please private message me if you'd like to meet up!

Last edited by BadKitty; 01-02-2019 at 1:20 PM..
Old 01-02-2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
urduja, you are getting a lot of people offering suggestions, which is great. I highly recommend that you focus on the advice coming from the more experienced women shooters. Some of the advice you are receiving is not at all practical for what you are asking us about today.

What you are asking us about today is for advice on purchasing a CCW weapon.
This part of your comment is wrong.

1) One doesn’t need to be a woman to give correct advice. The correct answer on purchase comes from training since she doesn’t have the knowledge or experience to choose a gun that meets her needs at this time.
2) Training is far more important than hardware. She already has one of the worst carry guns and is looking to get away from it. Almost any gun will do, including the S&W 638. However, optimizing the gun takes some experience and training.
3) Training gives confidence and will give her the knowledge and experience to choose her own guns. Had she known, she would never have picked the S&W 638 revolver she currently owns. Training, even a single day local class on self-defense, beats renting random guns every time. She could complete any two day class locally, continue carrying her snubby for the duration, and upgrade after she knows what she is doing. There is no hurry here as she is minimally armed.

Last edited by tomrkba; 01-02-2019 at 5:09 PM..
Old 01-02-2019, 3:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you all for the advice and the links. I do want to take some more classes. I am a new shooter and have taken 1 class. It was a Basic Pistol class with L&L Training in Temecula. The instructor, Gary, was very good and I learned a lot. I am definitely looking to take more classes either with him or through the links and info you all provided.
My only background in shooting (if you can call it as such) is as a tournament paintball player. And through the Basic Pistol course I took, I have learned that all the Great habits I have learned for competitive paintball are Horrible habits for real guns. So, I have a LOT to learn. And I want to learn it.
Through my uncle's advice of "if you can only have one", I bought a revolver. And even though it is a good gun, it is not a gun for ME. I can see all the pros of it being an all around gun, but try as I might, I do not like to shoot it. I cringe each time I pull the trigger and I know that cant be a good thing. I want something I can enjoy shooting so that I can train properly. So, far the only plus of owning the revolver (for me) is that it has allowed me to rent guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post

(PS: I think you may be a new-ish shooter and you may think you are only going to buy one gun, ever. Believe me, that NEVER happens, and within three years you will have six guns and 14 holsters, just like the rest of us... )
LOL. That is definitely a great goal to have.
Old 01-07-2019, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Since you're used to a revolver, you might want to check out the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. I'd load it with .32 H&R Magnum. (Think of the .327 Fed mag as the .32 equivalent of the .357 mag and the .32 H&R mag as the .32 equivalent of the .38 spl +P) The .32 LCR will have 6 shots vs 5 for a .38 (20% more rounds) and will have less recoil and will be effective with modern ammo, like the Hornady Critical Defense load. If you want the version with the exposed hammer (vs hammerless), that's the LCRx.

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_H%26R_Magnum

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...itical-defense

Quote:
Revolvers can be bulkier, but their bulk has curves, so it is less obvious what it is, whereas the straight lines and sharp angles of a semi scream "gun!" Plus, if you have to draw and fire while pushing the muzzle of the gun against a Bad Guy, a revolver will still work whereas most semis will get pushed out of battery and will not fire. Last, a little hammerless snubbie like the Ruger can fit in your coat pocket with your hand holding it while you walk and you can even shoot it through your coat without even drawing it. (Saving your life, but ruining your coat.)

Wish you the best!

ETA: since I see you're a newbie, (1) avoid problems by obeying the 4-Stupids Rule (avoid being around Stupid people, going to Stupid places, doing Stupid things, or being out at Stupid times). (2) remember to carry pepper spray because most "problems" do not call for deadly force. I could say a lot more, but just those 2 things will save you a lot of needless drama and headaches.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-03-2019 at 6:27 AM.. Reason: correcting mistakes
Old 01-07-2019, 9:20 PM

Great points made for pro-revolver. Thanks, Paladin!
Old 01-08-2019, 7:48 AM

imo, and again imo, an airweight as a first revolver is a mistake. I fired one when I was doing my research/rent for buying in 2007 and I almost didn't pick up another rental revolver to try. I was actively rethinking if gun self-defense was for me because my hand hurt so bad! I had to mentally steel myself and force myself to try a different pistol. I didn't have to read on the internet that it wasn't worth buying a pistol that hurt my hand so bad I wouldn't be practicing with it because my body told me that!!!!!

I did end up with a S&W Model 60 snubbie in .38/.357. the weight of that pistol made all the difference in the world. practicing with .38 also made a big difference. you may feel it at first but your hand and body learns to cope.

my experience has also been that the more I practiced and the more I trusted my senses, well, I could branch out to other S&W frame sizes and onto semi-autos including a .45acp.

I will always prefer a revolver due to simplicity AND I will always prefer a metal one over an "airweight". and sometimes just sometimes changing the grips will help reduce "bite".
Quote:
Old 01-08-2019, 8:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you for the extra points about the revolver. I have kept the airlight as the bedside gun. I'll look into the Ruger and see other options.