Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-19-2019, 4:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Default "Wireless" bluetooth Headphones (canceling option) with replacable Li-Ion batteries?

Traveling more, and it'd be nice to have something to go off when searching for a set of earphones, that maybe folds compact for backpack on the plane.

My last XP w/"Bluetooth on the ear(s)" was the Motorola HS-850 series that wouldn't play music, only for phone calls, is why I ask.

It'd be nice to know I could replace the battery/batteries when it/they wear(s) out (disassembly and solder not an issue, if possible), depending on "phones" price.

Not looking to give Dr. Dre any more money ($199+?) than I did buying his beats, on tape in the 80's, but if Beats are the only viable option...

I came across the Skull Candy Crusher, but worried about exposed wires pinching soon after purchase, and definitely don't want AntiFA-earing-looking iPhruity earbuds.
Suggestions would be appreciated, while the "option" for a 3.5mm jack would also be nice as a backup.
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...

Last edited by the86d; 09-19-2019 at 4:29 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

What about suggestions w/non-replaceable batteries?
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...

Last edited by the86d; 09-24-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Battery isn't replaceable, but I use these guys:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

For under $40 they're practically disposable. Had mine for over a year and a half and still going strong, used them on airplanes with and without a source (just for the noise cancelling sometimes, watching movies on others). Can be used with or without an aux cord, or Bluetooth, and they fold up.
Old 09-25-2019, 3:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks, not bad, and disposable when the battery dies at this price (if one can't crack then open)!

Last edited by the86d; 09-25-2019 at 9:43 AM..
Old 10-03-2019, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, just got back from a trip, and knowing I was make 1.5x OT, I couldn't wait, so I got some $53.86 after tax Skullcandy Riff from the Airport, and they worked well, I never even took my wired Skullcandys out of my bag. Those things rawk well, but no Noise Canceling.

Saw the package from Monoprice on my computer chair right now, and had to check them out too. Reasonably priced w/free shipping and nice quality for a sub-$47 pair w/ noise-cancel.

I fear I will try them for future needs, as I always have need of HDMI cables and the like, as they about eBay-price for odds and ends.
Old 10-03-2019, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

For traveling via flight, I like my Bose QuietComfort 20. It is small and compact, and fits into my laptop bag nicely. I like it in that it uses wire instead of wireless and I don't have to worry about running out of battery when I'm on a call with customers. Without battery, it simply turns off the noise cancellation but will still work as a headphone/mic for phone calls. It will also plug into the aircraft's entertainment console directly. The battery lasts about 16 hours, definitely enough for a coast to coast flight, and most airline seats have USB power source these days anyway so no worries.

The newer Bose QuietComfort 35 is larger, but has superb noise cancellation. This one will also help when you're talking in a busy environment on your phone, as it will also cancel out ambient noise for the mic. I didn't get it because it is a lot bigger but I was sorely tempted when I saw it in Portland's Bose store, which you can buy tax free.
Old 10-07-2019, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a set of Jabra 65e behind the neck ear-buds. They were "renewed." 50 bucks on Amazon. Retail is $200. Don't think they are worth 200, but 50 is OK.

The buds have those little horns on them. Left ear fits fine. Right ear is a little off. Automatic noise cancelling works well when I'm listening to music while I work on the computer. I don't like having my sense of hearing blocked, so that's about the only time I use that feature.

I haven't really done a test, but they seem to last all evening. At least 5 hours. Maybe more. The renewed unit comes in a box with a travel pouch, extra soft buds and instructions. There's an app to download for pairing. I don't remember if I paired them without the app.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Titaniu...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3. -573PH3N H4WK1NG

Last edited by brassburnz; 10-07-2019 at 7:53 PM..
Old 10-07-2019, 8:51 PM

I've got Sony WH1000XM2 wireless Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones and they rock. Noise cancelling is great. They're comfortable and the rechargeable Lion battery is enough for a full day traveling.

My wife has a pair of Denon AHGC20 Globe Cruiser wireless Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones. Like my Sony's, they sound great and are likely even more comfortable. I don't think they play as loud as the Sonys, but have a very refined and relaxed sound.

I find noise cancelling headphones to make airplane travel much less stressful in general. Being able to then comfortably consume your own content from a tablet or phone while reducing the background noise is an awesome use of technology.
Old 10-08-2019, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
and knowing I was make 1.5x OT, I couldn't wait, so I got some $53.86 after tax Skullcandy Riff from the Airport
If you can't work your company and get in to the double OT, you're doing something wrong.
Old 10-09-2019, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

I try not to milk it, but when I am getting double-time having a drink in the airport, or on the plan does feel GREAT... But I'd rather drink beer with the lady at home.

Last edited by the86d; 10-09-2019 at 9:59 AM..
Old 10-09-2019, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I fear I will try them for future needs, as I always have need of HDMI cables and the like, as they about eBay-price for odds and ends.
Monoprice is AWESOME for a lot of tech stuff that's typically marked up 100-500% like cables and stuff. I paid $20 for an extending, tiltable wall mount for my flatscreen instead of ~$200 from nearly anywhere else for what is just some bent sheet metal. Bought my first 3D printer from them, numerous cables, plastic filament and acrylic resin for 3D printing. Huge fan of theirs.
Old 10-10-2019, 3:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, it looks like it is THIS easy...

https://youtu.be/lJ6i-s2Q3qM

The Monoprice BT-300ANC look similar, but pulling off the foam pad, the SkullCandy Riff appears very similar.

If I got a $25 pair, it would be different, but WHEN the battery is toast on ~$50 pair, I assume I'll be doing this on the Skullcandy's, AND the BT-300ANC...
Even a battery UPGRADE in the future when these stop working I assume will be an option w/ >200mAh batteries.
https://www.adafruit.com/category/574

I am pretty good at recharging Lithium-based batts, and not letting them drain, so I assume 2+ years out of these, as researching a few years ago I came across this:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

When on the grind at work, flipping on the ANC feature of the MP phones is helpful, especially when all 3 screens are being utilized...

Last edited by the86d; 10-10-2019 at 4:13 AM..