Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-16-2019, 7:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Remington 700 .300 Winmag replacement barrel

I have a Remington 700 chambered in .300 Win. Mag. with a McMillan pillar bedded M40 stock and am getting to the point where I'd like to have my factory barrel replaced with something a little heavier and a little longer (Heavy varmint profile).

I've never had a bolt gun re-barreled before, so am looking for a reputable gunsmith who can order the correct barrel and perform the work for me.

Any recommendations for shops in the San Diego area who performs this kind of work?
Old 09-16-2019, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you are willing to drive up to LA, I do bolt gun rebarrel jobs in about 4 hours.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-16-2019, 8:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Definitely wouldn’t mind driving up there. Sent you a DM.
Old 09-16-2019, 2:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Barrel ordered and already on its way!

Bartlein M24 profile barrel. Can’t wait to get this installed and get it outdoors. Guess I better start stamping out some .300 WinMag rounds here pretty soon. Was previously loading 180 grain, but am going to start experimenting with 220 grain.
Old 09-16-2019, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Might want to wait for the barrel so you can get your bullet depth right.
Old 09-16-2019, 2:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Yeah. Just more of a general statement. Wasnít implying I was hitting the 115 degree convection garage this week.
Old 09-16-2019, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Just make sure that Randall chambers it so that the OAL with your preferred bullet is shorter than magazine length.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 09-17-2019, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I've never had a bolt gun re-barreled before.

You are going to be shocked at the improvement in accuracy to the point you will never like a factory barrel again.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 09-17-2019, 8:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
You are going to be shocked at the improvement in accuracy to the point you will never like a factory barrel again.
Indeed.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-18-2019, 5:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've never had a bolt gun re-barreled before.

Thanks for driving my excitement up even higher now! Iíve only ever owned and shot standard profile barrels and varmint/sendero type barrels. This is a whole new game for me that Iím really looking forward to.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Just make sure that Randall chambers it so that the OAL with your preferred bullet is shorter than magazine length.
+++On that.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCOD View Post
Thanks for driving my excitement up even higher now! Iíve only ever owned and shot standard profile barrels and varmint/sendero type barrels. This is a whole new game for me that Iím really looking forward to.
Itís not the contour of the barrel that makes a custom rifle shoot better.
Itís the premium quality barrel and fitting work that makes them shoot so much better.

Old 09-18-2019, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I let anyone at the range shoot my 300 WSM and after one group of 5 shots most put the Target in there wallet.
A brand new factory barrel from a 700 Remington is worth about $50 and many of the custom gunsmiths use them for making muzzlebrakes or bedding escutcheons if they use them at all.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 09-18-2019, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

take your new muzzle brake with you for your appt.
Old 09-19-2019, 7:27 AM

Quote:
A brand new factory barrel from a 700 Remington is worth about $50 and many of the custom gunsmiths use them for making muzzlebrakes or bedding escutcheons if they use them at all.
A lot of guys use them to stake up tomato plants in the garden.
Old 09-20-2019, 6:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Barrel arrived today. This is a serious chunk of steel! Waiting on lug to arrive then finding a day when I can scoot up to LA.
Old 09-25-2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
A lot of guys use them to stake up tomato plants in the garden.
I disagree. They for the most part make a fine hunting rifle barrel. You will not win many bench rest or long range matches with them though. Although I did take 1st place at a 200 yard bench rest match with my brand new Rem 700 in 300 Savage the first time I shot it. I actually attended the match to sight the rifle in and ended up with a score of 100 with a bunch of X's. That score was good for 1st place in the class. A friend of mine told me the only reason I beat him is he was fire forming his brass in the match. Of course I was also fire forming my brass at the same time. I have won several medals shooting silhouette matches using my 722 with factory 700 308 varmint weight barrel installed on it. As a mater of fact friend is giving me a factory sporter barrel in 308 to replace the varmint barrel as I have 2 6.5X47L's on 700's to shoot silhouette with if I ever do that sport again. Most factory 700's I have had would shoot 1 1/2" or smaller groups at 100 yards if I did my part and I am not a great benchrest shooter.
Old 09-26-2019, 4:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think the point people are making isn’t that Remington barrels are garbage out of the box, but rather that comparatively, when talking heavy, match-grade barrels, it’s apples and oranges. The factory barrel I’m replacing has afforded my 6 years of shooting.

Heading up to Randall’s this morning to get my new one installed.
Old 09-26-2019, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I disagree. They for the most part make a fine hunting rifle barrel. You will not win many bench rest or long range matches with them though. Although I did take 1st place at a 200 yard bench rest match with my brand new Rem 700 in 300 Savage the first time I shot it. I actually attended the match to sight the rifle in and ended up with a score of 100 with a bunch of X's. That score was good for 1st place in the class. A friend of mine told me the only reason I beat him is he was fire forming his brass in the match. Of course I was also fire forming my brass at the same time. I have won several medals shooting silhouette matches using my 722 with factory 700 308 varmint weight barrel installed on it. As a mater of fact friend is giving me a factory sporter barrel in 308 to replace the varmint barrel as I have 2 6.5X47L's on 700's to shoot silhouette with if I ever do that sport again. Most factory 700's I have had would shoot 1 1/2" or smaller groups at 100 yards if I did my part and I am not a great benchrest shooter.
I agree. When you buy a standard Remington 700, in a hunting configuration, the factory barrels will give you sufficient accuracy for hunting large game. Their factory barrels are functional, perform as they were intended, and are not worthless. The Remington 700 receiver happens to be one of the best designed and most popular actions that rifle competitors use. If you are buying the rifle, so that you can have a receiver to build a rifle, then the factory barrel has a minimal value to such a person.
Old 09-26-2019, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Barrel arrived today. This is a serious chunk of steel! Waiting on lug to arrive then finding a day when I can scoot up to LA.
Just curious, where did you order the barrel? Came in pretty fast.

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.
Old 09-26-2019, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
Checkout Short Action Customs or Red Hawk Rifles. They both stock a pretty big variety of calibers and contours from some reputable barrel makers.

I've ordered barrels from both of them and they arrive quickly.

I think the days of waiting months for barrels is kind of in the past, unless you want a unique contour or length.

Last edited by CHAD PEZZLE; 10-08-2019 at 8:35 AM..
Old 09-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
I agree. When you buy a standard Remington 700, in a hunting configuration, the factory barrels will give you sufficient accuracy for hunting large game. Their factory barrels are functional, perform as they were intended, and are not worthless. The Remington 700 receiver happens to be one of the best designed and most popular actions that rifle competitors use. If you are buying the rifle, so that you can have a receiver to build a rifle, then the factory barrel has a minimal value to such a person.
Randy, I agree having bought 3 rifles in cal 22-250 just for the actions. In the past It was common to see take off barrel for sale for around $25-$50 or more. By take off I do not mean used barrels that have been shot out. Even a shot out barrel is useful if you want to have it rebored and chambered in a larger caliber. I have never done this but have considered it. I am at the stage of life where I have more rifles that I will be able to use before I become too decrepit to shoot them.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Catman
I think the Benchrest match you attended must have been a VFS or some other type of club format?
A 100 score usually means 600/1000 yard benchrest where score counts as much as group.
In short-range Benchrest 100,200,300 group is King.

Also Bruno shooters supply and Grizzly Industries stock the most common Target barrels to avoid the long wait times.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 09-26-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-26-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Catman
I think the Benchrest match you attended must have been a VFS or some other type of club format?
A 100 score usually means 600/1000 yard benchrest where score counts as much as group.
In short-range Benchrest 100,200,300 group is King.

Also Bruno shooters supply and Grizzly Industries stock the most common Target barrels to avoid the long wait times.
Lynn
Yes it was a club shoot at the Chabot gun club. The only reason I attended it was it cost I think $5 match fees and I needed to sight in my new rifle. As a bonus the match was at 200 yards. It has been a long time ago but they had several categories including a couple for real bench rest rifles. The one I won was for something like hunter rifle or light rifle or something similar. I remember the scope power was restricted to 6X. It was pretty neat to go to sight in my rifle and come home with more money in my pocket that I left home with. I have never shot a real benchrest match where groups are king. I have bought barrel blanks from Grizzly and Bruno. As a mater of fact I believe Bruno is having a sale on Krieger barrels right now
Old 09-26-2019, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I am at the stage of life where I have more rifles that I will be able to use before I become too decrepit to shoot them.
LOL, I reached that ten years ago, even after half of them were stolen.
Old 09-26-2019, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
I ordered it from Bugholes.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Tote that rifle afield a mile or two down the road, estimate wind & distance & angles on camouflaged targets,
bring back all your gear, and then I might believe in the worthlessness of factory stock Remington Barrels.

If its parking lot truck bed to shooting bench and back to truck bed, I might see your point of view more clearly.

As for me I wouldn't know because the above equipment, including the worthless items, went over the
starboard side some years back. You remember, just like Natalie did, allegedly did...at night I mean.

Last edited by hambam105; 10-05-2019 at 11:01 PM..
Old 10-06-2019, 3:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Can it be that Remington factory barrels are inferior compared to other factory barrels? My Interarms Mark-X in 270 Win, Winchester Ranger in 270 Win, Winchester HBV in 22-250 have given me great satisfaction especially with handloads. These rifles will shoot where I expect them to shoot. On the other hand my Remington 700 PSS in 308 and a SPS Varmint in 300 WSM aren’t as predictable.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 10-06-2019, 11:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

His factory barrel is a moot point since I fitted his new barrel over a week ago.

Old 10-06-2019, 2:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
His factory barrel is a moot point since I fitted his new barrel over a week ago.
Yeah... what he said!
Old 10-06-2019, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Shooting for the smallest group...It is a real & honorable skill...I stand on their shoulders for reloading techniques and information.

The kind of shooting that...I mean I used to do...No sighters and No reshoots.
Old 10-07-2019, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

I must have missed something here?

The OP had a factory barrel replaced with a custom barrel of high quality so all we need now is to see how it shoots.
If you think factory barrels outshoot custom barrels you can buy them by the hundreds on E-Bay for under $100 ready to bolt on.
A custom will run you $700 and up.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 10-07-2019, 2:29 PM

Hope to hear how well it shot! Iíve thought about rebarelling whenever I start mentally calculating how many rounds my browning a-bolt has sent down range over the 20 years or so Iíve owned it. I can still get 5+ shot groups around 1.5Ē though. I think Iíll wait until that opens up some more before taking the plunge.

So how did that new barrel group? Weíre all dying to find out. (Obviously some of the folks here are jealous of your new barrel and lashing out! )

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2019, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Can you start load development on match barrel right away ?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
Can you start load development on match barrel right away ?
It's best to get 30 rounds through it before you start picking a load.

Old 10-08-2019, 4:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I mean my remington 5R factory rifle shoots 2" at 300 yards with factory ammo? Lol, maybe it's the Indian and not the bow? Most guns nowadays can easily shoot moa.
Old 10-08-2019, 8:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
I mean my remington 5R factory rifle shoots 2" at 300 yards with factory ammo?
Lol, maybe it's the Indian and not the bow?
Most guns nowadays can easily shoot moa.
If that's all you need, then that's great.
Custom barreled rifles usually shoot 1/2" groups at 200yds if the shooter and ammo are capable.

Old 10-09-2019, 6:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I haven’t had an opportunity to shoot it yet, but hope to do so next week.
Old 10-09-2019, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Try RE22 with a Fed215 and a 190 Sierra matchking just touching the lands.
www.unlimitedrange.org