Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-18-2019, 1:43 PM

Default Full size handgun is easier to grasp and draw

I’ve been experimenting with various holsters and with various sizes of handguns (CZ Rami subcompact, CZ Compact and CZ SP-01 full size). The Rami is just too small and I can’t shoot it well at all. I finally got to the point where I can shoot the Compact pretty well. But I have just discovered that with a good belt, with just the right holster and with a slightly bigger and longer shirt, it’s possible to conceal carry my largest gun which is the full size steel frame CZ SP-01.

And my very latest discovery is that it’s much easier to draw the full size SP-01 because it’s so much easier to get a solid grip on the gun due to the full size handgrip. I find myself adjusting my grip after drawing the Compact, but not so with the SP-01. The SP-01 was my first handgun purchase. After all the experimenting to find a smaller gun for conceal carry, I may end up carrying the full size SP-01. Just thought I’d share that in case it helps someone else who is struggling to find the right conceal carry setup.
Old 09-18-2019, 2:26 PM

Yes. Do whatever you feel the most comfortable with that works for you... everyone is different

Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
I’ve been experimenting with various holsters and with various sizes of handguns [edited quote] it’s so much easier to get a solid grip on the gun due to the full size handgrip.
Totally agree with you. Just reverted to Glock 17s after a while trying various smaller guns - have owned 3 x G17s, 4 x G34s, 2 x G22s, and 1 x G31, all the same ‘full hand’ grip size - for me it removes a fumble factor vs more easily concealed small guns that’s too great to ignore...

Btw, my (CZ Custom SAO) SP-01 is one of my top 3 guns, so nice choice!

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

I apologize ahead of time for this snarky remark:

Fullsize guns are easier to grip, draw and shoot than guns with smaller grips? Thanks Captain Obvious.

But seriously OP. Practice, practice, practice. No shame in doing something that works for you.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 AM

I don't want to carry a full size gun. It does not work for me. I would rather either adjust my grip or use another smaller conceal carry gun option. I listen to opinion, I may try it to see if it works for me, but in the end, it is all about the comfort, use, and decision of the person carrying. I'm glad you found your direction.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

I agree with you but for me, conceal carry for a full size is difficult for me. I carry a Ruger EC9 for my carry and a LCP2 as a secondary. I don't have huge hands so gripping the smaller framed weapon tight is not a problem.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have large hands, and I'm tall. I prefer to carry a gun with a full-size grip. 1911 works great for me, also the 1911 Commander which is what I carry in cooler or cold weather. In the summer though, I usually either carry a 3" 1911 or a Kimber Micro 9 and yeah it's different to grip and draw those guns than the larger 1911s.

However I can still confidently draw those guns, small as they might be.

Train. You gotta train with your carry guns. There is no way I can carry a 1911 under a t-shirt on a hot summer's day, but that little Micro 9 just disappears and is still a respectable amount of firepower if you need it.

I know people with smaller hands that love the grip of a S&W M&P Shield, or a Glock 43.

But the key thing is training and practice.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I’ve been experimenting with various holsters and with various sizes of handguns (CZ Rami subcompact, CZ Compact and CZ SP-01 full size). The Rami is just too small and I can’t shoot it well at all. I finally got to the point where I can shoot the Compact pretty well. But I have just discovered that with a good belt, with just the right holster and with a slightly bigger and longer shirt, it’s possible to conceal carry my largest gun which is the full size steel frame CZ SP-01.

And my very latest discovery is that it’s much easier to draw the full size SP-01 because it’s so much easier to get a solid grip on the gun due to the full size handgrip. I find myself adjusting my grip after drawing the Compact, but not so with the SP-01. The SP-01 was my first handgun purchase. After all the experimenting to find a smaller gun for conceal carry, I may end up carrying the full size SP-01. Just thought I’d share that in case it helps someone else who is struggling to find the right conceal carry setup.
Over the years we all go through this bounce from one gun to the other for one reason or another. It's a cycle.

A dozen holsters later and many awesome pistol purchases while looking for the ultimate carry du jour you realize the saying "never say "never"" actually means something.

Then the defense ammo discussions become rinse and repeat dogma too. Blah blah blah "Federal HST!" blah blah blah etc. because FBI testing blah blah. Right?

Most times it's better to just turn off the internet and go find out for yourself.

Well done OP!
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 AM

"turn off the internet and go find out for yourself." - quote of the century

Brilliant..

Old 09-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Yup....if anything, I’ve been getting bigger on my CCW.

Retired/sold off the single stack Shield and Walther PPS, went double stack G26 and I'm good with that. Now trying out a G19....

I think as I got more and more used to carry, willing to experiment with larger firearms.....

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 09-20-2019 at 8:03 AM..
Old 09-20-2019, 4:54 AM

I also have 2 CZ made firearms. Baby Desert Eagle in 40S&W and a CZ 75 Compact.
I've owned the 40 since 1991 and put an honest 20k rounds thru it. It is by my most comfortable extension of my body.

I bought the CZ 75 Compact and M&P shield both in 9mm with aspirations of them being my EDC.

I'm a bigger guy 5'8" 245lbs and the 40 isnt out of the realm for concealment.

Now to just be granted the ccw...
Old 09-20-2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caller #10 View Post
Totally agree with you. Just reverted to Glock 17s after a while trying various smaller guns - have owned 3 x G17s, 4 x G34s, 2 x G22s, and 1 x G31, all the same ‘full hand’ grip size - for me it removes a fumble factor vs more easily concealed small guns that’s too great to ignore...

Btw, my (CZ Custom SAO) SP-01 is one of my top 3 guns, so nice choice!

Cheers!
I like your description. For me there definitely does seem to be a "fumble factor" that can complicate things when drawing a smaller gun. A problem that could probably be overcome with a great deal of training...or simply choosing a gun with a larger grip. At the moment, I'm leaning towards carrying the bigger gun. I'd rather spend a little more time working on my shooting skills instead of spending that time working on my draw.
Old 09-22-2019, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Full size handgun is easier to grasp and draw
Uhmmmm, well..... yeah, of course it is.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-22-2019, 10:48 AM

Yes, I train extra with my S&W Air weight with its small grip. But I hardly know its there when I carry. When, I want to know I am carrying, I strap on the beast(S&W 686 plus.)
Old 09-22-2019, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblaw View Post
Yes, I train extra with my S&W Air weight with its small grip. But I hardly know its there when I carry. When, I want to know I am carrying, I strap on the beast(S&W 686 plus.)
Holster up a S&W 500 for grins, giggles and oh yeah..... some pain.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-26-2019, 8:16 AM

The OP is on the right track. As many have said it’s different for everyone, however it seams far to often you hear people talking about which gun is the easiest to carry, when IMHO, the question should be which gun gives me the best odds of winning a gun fight.