Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-02-2019, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Default Starting the academy, any advice?

I start the academy next month and looking to hear all the advice and recommendations I can. I've already been exercising and working out several times a week.

What can I expect from the academy? How was your experience?

What boots and gun belt do you recommend? I don't mind paying more for better quality.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 9:07 PM

Are you sponsored or self sponsored?

Because if youíre sponsored your department should already be telling you what you need to do and what equipment you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Are you sponsored or self sponsored?

Because if youíre sponsored your department should already be telling you what you need to do and what equipment you need.

Self sponsored.

Orientation is this Monday, but just trying to see what everyone has used and recommends.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 PM

Quit and go apply at hose dragger school. In five years you will thank me.

If you insist on going to the police academy; just buy whatever gear is fairly cheap that Academy suggests or requires. Nylon can be a ttad lighter but I don’t think it really matters at the academy. Try to get sponsored ASAP.... keep at the PT, and remember this is just the start of any potential LE career
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:50 PM

Lightest boots you can find that will still take a shine. I've had good luck with Bates and Blackhawk. Skip any all leather capped toe jump boots. They may look pretty, but are not worth the additional cost and weight.

Does your academy require a leather gunbelt? Probably can't go wrong with Safariland for the belt and everything that goes on it.

Being in good shape helps, but the POST physical requirements really aren't that tough. Whether or not the PT is physically demanding is highly dependent upon the academy you attend.

The most challenging aspect of attending a California police academy is that there is an opportunity to fail out just about every day. Between all the learning domains, arrest control, firing range, evoc, and scenarios, you will find at least one area you are weak in.

Always remember: If you lie, you die. Any integrity violations can easily result in a quick departure from the academy and any hopes of a law enforcement career.

If you have what it takes, then none of the above should scare you. Enjoy your time at the academy and learn everything you can. The real challenge begins after you graduate.
Old 05-03-2019, 5:43 AM
Calguns Addict

The academy should have already put out a list of required uniform items. If in doubt, call the nearest uniform shops to the academy and ask them if they have the uniform spec. Im a big 5.11 fan for the boots. 8" ATAC side zips have served me well.

PT PT PT. Find the POST learning domains online and get a head start reading the harder domains. They have recently changed format btw... gone are the days of study hard and test for the LD and purge on to the next LD... the new format is a 'midterm' and then 'final' for the academy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron
The hassle would be between this. (_._) and this (_0_).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
When Im wearing a miniskirt than yeah sure I use my foot to flush the urinals all the time!
Old 05-03-2019, 6:02 AM

Advice? Have fun. Work hard. Be honest. Head down, ears open. Sir and Maíam everyone. Stay focused.

Youíre going to screw up. Own it, laugh at yourself and move on.

Itís the most fun youíll never want to have again.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
Advice? Have fun. Work hard. Be honest. Head down, ears open. Sir and Maíam everyone. Stay focused.

Youíre going to screw up. Own it, laugh at yourself and move on.

This is very true.

Old 05-03-2019, 5:59 PM

Remember codes and all the academic items. You may be physically fit, but you still have to pass all those learning domains.
Old 05-03-2019, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
Remember codes and all the academic items. You may be physically fit, but you still have to pass all those learning domains.
Just graduated top of my class with my B.S. in criminology with an emphasis in law enforcement. So, a lot of knowledge is still very fresh for me.
Old 05-03-2019, 8:24 PM

Well ur gonna need that BS in LE.

Old 05-03-2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
OTOH, how fun would it be to go back and Dirty Harry all the scenarios?
Old 05-04-2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
OTOH, how fun would it be to go back and Dirty Harry all the scenarios?

Too funny.

x2 (or 3 or 4) whatís been said. Iím assuming normal 22-26 week academy. So keep your head down and focus.

Donít overthink exams, I had a degree going in as well and my biggest challenge was over analyzing LDs.

Scenarios should be straight forward if instructors are doing their job.

Donít get caught up in nonsense. Do what you can to be an asset to the rest of the class. If you see a classmate struggling, help him/her, donít hang them out to dry.

Depending on the academy be ready PT, some run a lot more than others.

No matter how tough it gets, You can do anything for 26 weeks. Keep your head down, stay focused and if you have weekends off, study but donít forget to breath a little in between.

Good Luck!
Old 05-04-2019, 7:26 AM

If you're self sponsored pay attention to details and think you're always being watched. It could be the little details like always backing up your car parking or hiding all your gear from view in your car. I guarantee you will be watched by guest staff, recruiters or people who could hire you in the most random places.

If you want to be hired, be humble and understand it's a paramilitary school and not a college. Lastly don't be a gear nerd like me.

Losing my Casio watch week 1, taught me that an Armatron will get the job done. Especially when self sponsored, buy the basic equipment, then buy pairs of them labelled. It's tempting when you start to go Surefire, 5.11, Danner, but think if you join a SO all those high speed stuff will sit in your garage for 2 years while you're in custody.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 8:31 AM

When I went through the academy by the end if it something became VERY CLEAR!!!!!

There were THREE main cliques of class members.

1) Those who were agency sponsored

2) Those who were not sponsored but veterans

3) everyone else

THE ONLY ONES TO WASH OUT were from group #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Groups 1&2 had an ASTRONOMICAL ADVANTAGE

Group #1 had their training SGT's breathing down their necks. There was a vested agency interest their recruits DID NOT FAIL UNDER ANY CONDITIONS. Those agencies with multiple recruits in the same class essentially made them study buddies. Those singular sponsored recruits gravitated toward each other as study buddies.

Group #2 brothers in arms gravitated toward each other as study buddies. They also had the experience of the BS of the military and deployments. The Academy was a relative joke as an additional life experience and hoop they have to jump through.

Group #3 most didn't know what they were getting into. Several barely had the educational background to barely pass the T-Test for the academy, which was lower than most agencies would hire at anyway. One had to take a few days off from class to attend court appearances for a DUI, so he was using the academy as leverage in his plea. He was never going to be a cop ever.

One guy from #3 straight up quit on DAY 1. He was the most bad *** looking guy in the class, and the DAY 1 intimidation session from the instructors scared him off.

Another guy from #3 straight up quit during the Scenario Exam for 5150, he just gave up trying to deal with a crazy person.

Three from group #3 failed because of RANGE QUALIFICATION.

My point, Group #3 folks get picked off first. As such, the study buddy dynamic of this group was always being interrupted, and those that remained were negatively effected and made staying in harder relative to those in 1&2.

As self sponsored, you have an uphill battle and far less support than your classmates.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Good luck. I just did my entrance physical agility test today. Oral interview next week.
Old 05-04-2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
When I went through the academy by the end if it something became VERY CLEAR!!!!!

There were THREE main cliques of class members.

1) Those who were agency sponsored

2) Those who were not sponsored but veterans

3) everyone else

THE ONLY ONES TO WASH OUT were from group #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every Academy is different, and this was not my experience at all.

At least half of the sponsored recruits in my academy failed out, and probably about the same ratio of veterans as well.

What really seemed to trip up the veterans was the idea that the academy/law enforcement was similar to their experience in the military. Among other things, they found out the hard way that "helping" a fellow recruit pass a test was an integrity violation, and making questionable jokes to a large group would be offensive to someone.

Listen carefully and adhere to the expectations set forth on the first day. Work hard and help your fellow classmates, but do not put your future career in jeapordy in the process.
Old 05-05-2019, 3:09 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If we are talking groups, another one would be a former/active reserve, probably sponsored but maybe unsponsored. My class had just finished the reserve academy the week before for his dept. He was the first class sgt. and did every thing right.

I would change you working out "several times a week," to more than that. As was mentioned, you will be running. Some of that will probably include hills, so you should train for that. You will also be doing calisthenics, so do your push ups, sit ups and burpees. I don't know you, nor know what you look like, but some cadets think the academy will get them in shape. Those are the ones who generally flunk out. Everyone should be in good shape prior to beginning any academy IMO. If you recall the FOX show titled, "The Academy" some years ago, you will remember some of the cadets in each academy were obese. Most, if not all, had a very difficult time and many flunked out or were recycled to the next class to try again. The show was about LASD, my former Dept. and it was embarrassing to watch these people. We had some like them in my class in 1976 and they never did the whole run. As we neared the bottom of all of the hills, the DI leading them would just turn them around and have them fall in behind us. Not right. Especially if you are fighting a suspect, need help and they are unable to climb over a wall.

If I may ask, what academy are you going to be attending. Community college, SO or PD.
Old 05-05-2019, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
If we are talking groups, another one would be a former/active reserve, probably sponsored but maybe unsponsored. My class had just finished the reserve academy the week before for his dept. He was the first class sgt. and did every thing right.

I would change you working out "several times a week," to more than that. As was mentioned, you will be running. Some of that will probably include hills, so you should train for that. You will also be doing calisthenics, so do your push ups, sit ups and burpees. I don't know you, nor know what you look like, but some cadets think the academy will get them in shape. Those are the ones who generally flunk out. Everyone should be in good shape prior to beginning any academy IMO. If you recall the FOX show titled, "The Academy" some years ago, you will remember some of the cadets in each academy were obese. Most, if not all, had a very difficult time and many flunked out or were recycled to the next class to try again. The show was about LASD, my former Dept. and it was embarrassing to watch these people. We had some like them in my class in 1976 and they never did the whole run. As we neared the bottom of all of the hills, the DI leading them would just turn them around and have them fall in behind us. Not right. Especially if you are fighting a suspect, need help and they are unable to climb over a wall.

If I may ask, what academy are you going to be attending. Community college, SO or PD.
I'm 5 weeks and a day from starting and will start working out 5-6 times a week now. I've been running about 10-12 miles a week, 500 pushups/sit ups/burpees a week as well.

Community college.
Old 05-06-2019, 2:50 AM

Countless agencies are mass hiring, why is self sponsoring still a thing?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 8:01 AM

Oh, I'm also going to mention that in the Scenario Exams you can absolutely arrest someone trying to get you to help them fudge an insurance claim.

File a false insurance claim.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-c...-sect-550.html

(a) It is unlawful to do any of the following, or to aid, abet, solicit, or conspire with any person to do any of the following:

(5) Knowingly prepare, make, or subscribe any writing, with the intent to present or use it, or to allow it to be presented, in support of any false or fraudulent claim.

There's a section for conspiracy too, so if you helped make such a report you would be guilty too.

I was originally given a failing score for the Ethics Scenario Exam. The role player was trying to get me to fudge upwards the value of the stolen property for an insurance claim.

What was suppose to happen was I should have just not done it, and walked out the door and left them with an accurate police report.

They wouldn't let it go, so I arrested them.

I was told I failed for making an unlawful arrest.

I appealed on the basis of PC550, and given a passing score of 100%, my classmate that also failed for the same reason by default was given the same score.

MORE infuriating was I really pissed off the Scenario Coordinator (to the delight of my TAC Officers), and he went to great lengths to get me to confess I DID NOT KNOW THE LAW at the time I executed the arrest during the exam. Which of course would mean I acted unethically and would by default fail the exam. What kind of an idiot did he think I was?

I bit my lip, and toed the line.

It's not important why I as a pathetic wannabe know the law, it's more important to audit the Academy Training Process why everyone from the Scenario Coordinator, Academy Cadre, and the POST Committee that design the scenarios DOES NOT KNOW THE LAW.

Maybe I was being "tested" again.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post

I don't know you, nor know what you look like, but some cadets think the academy will get them in shape. Those are the ones who generally flunk out. Everyone should be in good shape prior to beginning any academy IMO.

100% agree with this. That being said I was not in shape when I started, I almost quit. If you think you can do enough pushups/pull-ups/sit-ups/burpees, you still need to do more. If you think you can run far enough at an 8 minute pace, run the same distance at a 7 minute pace. Keep the habits you develop in the academy or youíll end up like me trying to get back to my academy weight...
Old 05-06-2019, 3:29 PM

Get all your personal affairs in order now. Get your car service (tires, oil change, etc.). You don't need it taking a crap on you when you need to be at the academy. Set a budget. Get your gear and square it away now (or as soon as possible). You don't need the extra stress of trying to find something the weekend before Black Monday. Have a talk with family, friends and your significant other to set expectations. It should go along the lines of "I need your support, patience and understanding. This is what I want to do with my life. I'll see you in 6 months." Take a few days off to relax and clear your mind before it all begins.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:34 AM

The 2 biggest things I will say are....
1. Do not lie- about anything... it can literally be the color of your underwear.... Do not Lie!!!!!
2.Do not quit... this endeavor may be the hardest thing you have ever done... keep pushing... pain is simple a head game, if you are mentally tough, you can fight through the pain... DO NOT QUIT!!!!
Old 05-23-2019, 4:51 AM

Default Academy

Fitness is important, if you are fit, thats one less thing you have to stress about. You need to be mentally tough. Most academies are very paramilitatistic so expect yelling and punishment the first couple weeks/months or throughout depending on agency/academy. There will be cliques like above mentioned. LDs are now done in groups. We had 3 in our academy, first covered like 8 or 10 LDs, the second coveed 8 or 10 plus the previous ones and the final added another 10 and the previous. AKA accumulative. I wouldn't stress about the LDs, POST has geared them supposedly so that a 6th grade education cann get you through them. That being said do not take them lightly, especially LDs 15, 16 and 20. (Laws of arrest, crimes against the justice system and use of force)

Going to have good days, great days, and ****ty days. Remember to have fun too. EVOC was a blast along with other dept specific training I got to go through.

Stay tough physically and mentally, be humble and never lose integrity and you will do just fine. Also a lot of folks say to stay in the middle of the pact which for the most part is true, but don't be scared to speak up or volunteer first. Better to fail forward in academy then when you get out into the field and from my experience, the ones that don't volunteer when practicing for scenario testings usually are remediating or failing out.

I graduate in a couple weeks so I dont have any field experience or tips, just what I've been through and seen so far. So feel free to take or leave what I said.

FTP here I come.
Old 05-23-2019, 6:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Quit and go apply at hose dragger school. In five years you will thank me.
All of the academies are full and there are not a lot of fire jobs, but plenty of police jobs.

I am not a LEO, but here is something from the fire academy that might help...
Quote:
Poor attitude

1. IGM'rs (i got mine) -> if you are one of those get rid of that attitude or instructors will sniff you out easily.
2. Be a listener not a teacher. If you know something then share it between your classmates at lunch time. Dont suggest something to a instructor about a trick you learned as an "Explorer" or from another department. Remember you are trying to pass the tests (manipulative and academic)the "tower way" not the "field way"
3. Keep your mouth shut and ears open. Only chit chat with your buddies at lunch time, dont join in conversations that shouldnt be going on in the first place.
4. Dont talk bad about your instructors or your fellow cadets.
5. Dont make excuses, If you screw up then you screw up, dont apologize for it, just move on and dont repeat it
6. Dont go out with your buddies on the weekends to bars and clubs to "take a break", thats how people get in trouble. DUI's, FIGHTS, LEWD CONDUCT
7. Do not try to brown nose your instructors. They are not your friends nor will they ever want to be so just have a common respect and take it from there.
8. Remember you are there for a badge not to gain more friends so keep the non tower related talk for after you left drill tower grounds.
9. Support your fellow cadets as much as you would want to be supported. You will not make it through without their help and visa versa.

Physical Conditioning

1. The first 3 weeks of our academy were some of the worst weeks. Seemed like they wanted to weed the people who couldnt take it out. We had 13 people quit in the 1st week and half, alot of those in the 1st 2 days. The physical agility test was not even close to the exhertion you go through in the tower. You go home daily sore/bruised/strained and your body never has a chance to recover from it so its more like being in good enough condition where your body can adapt to it (its hard to imagine but trust me it happens) Be in the best shape you can imagine possible, if you dont your going to get hurt.

Mental conditioning

1. After the first 4 weeks of our 19 week academy it started sinking in that we are going to be here for a while. Its mentally draining, you gotta stay focused and positive or you will never make it. Its extremely stressful when you gotta do a manipulative drill and your job is on the line for it, for example throwing a ladder or performing a hose lay (believe me everyone in my tower had to do something where there job was on the line at least once and sometimes more and i guarantee it will happen at least once to you) Remember you are your own worst enemy.

Academic

1. You get exposed to alot of information about a lot of things in the tower and your expected to know it and you will be tested on it daily and sometimes weekly. Some people failed out because of academics, take it seriously, forget your buddies for a few months and your girlfriend. Stay home, and hybernate with your notes, its your best chance for passing.

Hope this helps a little bit. Good luck to all and remember this when your in the tower ->
"There is thousands of people out there who would kill to be in your position right now, dont give them your badge"
Quote:
TORRANCE FIRE DEPARTMENT

SUCCESSFULLY SURVIVING YOUR RECRUIT TRAINING

The following guidelines will help you be a successful recruit on the Torrance Fire Department. Many of you have various levels of experience and training which will be valuable to the Torrance Fire Department in the near future. But as a recruit (new employee), your probationary period will be much more pleasant if you can demonstrate patience in displaying your talents and skill until you’ve learned what we want you to know.

BEHAVIOR GUIDELINES FOR THE TRAINING TOWER

1. Do ask questions if you do not understand.
2. Do take every opportunity to help to help one another develop into a team.
3. The “Double Time Trot” is accepted mode of transportation from one place to another while outdoors.
4. Tardiness or unexpected absenteeism will not be tolerated in the fire service, period. Better to be a hour early than a minute late.
5. Arriving for duty unprepared will demonstrate the qualities necessary for a new career elsewhere.
6. A lack of aggressiveness in manipulative work will shorten your basic training period significantly.
7. Disregard for safety will get you canned.
8. Standing with your hands in your pockets will raise questions about your respect for authority and your level of attention.
9. Profanity and/or spitting on the ground will get you a job with someone else.
10. If it doesn’t move, clean it. If it does move, address it as “Sir”.
11. Don’t attempt to socialize with regular members of the department during the basic training period.
12. Show respect for all co-workers at all times.
13. Hustle, shine and always look good
Old 05-23-2019, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

When you get to the exams, they are comprehensive now. So there are 3 tests the entire academy (well 4 counting first aid/cpr) instead of one for each LD. Don't READ into the questions. Answer them exactly how you see them.
Old 05-24-2019, 4:27 AM

Yes what skyscraper said. The first aid test was the hardest. The other three were actually pretty easy. Never ever go backwards on a test and change awnsers usually your first choice is more correct.