Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum This is a temporary forum for discussion, debate, sharing and helping each other during and in relation to the Coronavirus/COVID19

Old 03-26-2020, 5:17 AM
Veteran Member

Default Losrtan is one of drugs being tested

If this is a dupe, please excuse and strike. A few weeks I recall some discussion about Losartan being a common drug that might be used to fight COVID. I think Librarian mentioned it. So it is now one of the many drugs in testing for just that.

Quote:
Also this week, the University of Minnesota launched two trials testing losartan - one to measure whether the hypertension drug reduces the risk of organ failure for COVID-19 patients who have been hospitalized, and another looking at whether the drug can limit the need for hospitalizations.

Losartan is an angiotensin receptor 1 (AT1R) blocker, which researchers say could play a role in blocking an enzyme used by the virus to bind to cells.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2161QQ

Losartan is a inexpensive generic drug used to reduce high blood pressure by us old guys. I have been taking it for at least a couple of years.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 03-26-2020, 5:59 AM
Calguns Addict

That would be wonderful since it would finally give a "use" for losartan. It is by far the weakest of the ARBs. If that one works, I wonder how well a stronger one such as valsartan or azilsartan might work.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice
Old 03-26-2020, 6:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We are ordering chloloquine phosphate. The powder version is only for libtard demorats.
Old 03-26-2020, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
That would be wonderful since it would finally give a "use" for losartan. It is by far the weakest of the ARBs. If that one works, I wonder how well a stronger one such as valsartan or azilsartan might work.
Interesting. I didn't realize it was so weak and now I looked it up and see that in lower doses like I am on it doesn't work as long and one may need to take another in the evening if the first was in the morning. Guess who had been on one a day until told to go to 50 mg in the AM and 25 mg in PM. I digress from the focus on COVID, but your thought re other ARBs is worthy of exploring, if researchers aren't doing so.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 03-26-2020, 6:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
We are ordering chloloquine phosphate. The powder version is only for libtard demorats.
Check with a doctor and read up on the risks of using it. Note the very low doses used for malaria and the very high doses reported to have had some success.
Old 03-26-2020, 6:56 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Since I take Losartan anyway I guess that makes me bulletproof! Party time!

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 03-26-2020, 2:41 PM

Very interesting. Been taking Losartan for a while now. Will be super stoked if this turns out to be true. The only downside is that it may make prescription refills harder to get. People tend to panic rush anything that gets mentioned as a possible treatment/prevention.
Freedom thrives on the illusion of choice. Slaves feel free when they get to choose a different side of the same coin. This distracts them from the bonds of their economic chains and ensures their allegiance to their masters. ~Me
Old 03-26-2020, 3:38 PM

I’ve taken it for 20 years. It isn’t the most effective one out there. I also take amlodipine and a diuretic to help it out
Old 03-26-2020, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Interesting. I didn't realize it was so weak and now I looked it up and see that in lower doses like I am on it doesn't work as long and one may need to take another in the evening if the first was in the morning. Guess who had been on one a day until told to go to 50 mg in the AM and 25 mg in PM. I digress from the focus on COVID, but your thought re other ARBs is worthy of exploring, if researchers aren't doing so.
It actually has low affinity for the angiotensin receptor. Typically we see about 5 points of BP reduction with losartan, 15 points with most of the others and about 30 points with azilsartan.
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
Old 03-26-2020, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_Ghost View Post
Very interesting. Been taking Losartan for a while now. Will be super stoked if this turns out to be true. The only downside is that it may make prescription refills harder to get. People tend to panic rush anything that gets mentioned as a possible treatment/prevention.
It's already difficult with all of the generics having contaminants in them thanks to Chinese generic manufacturers cheating.

Once again, that is where the asilsartan may come in handy. It's still branded, so it hasn't had the recalls and shortages.
Old 03-26-2020, 3:56 PM

I have Losartan 50mg pill I take with hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg pill for blood pressure
Old 03-26-2020, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
It's already difficult with all of the generics having contaminants in them thanks to Chinese generic manufacturers cheating.

Once again, that is where the asilsartan may come in handy. It's still branded, so it hasn't had the recalls and shortages.
The silver lining in all of this is that I hope it causes the industry titans wake up and take a different approach to manufacturing goods. Some industries are too dirty to return to USA production but many are not. We also have vast areas of the country left behind and dwindling away in poverty/despair.

Hopefully, this makes some think beyond lowest costs manufacturing and outsourcing. Americans will have to adjust their buying habits as well to support the higher prices that US manufacturing will bring. It could also been a boon for jobs rebuilding private and public infrastructure and get the economy rolling again in full swing.

These viruses and their repercussions aren't going anywhere and will only continue as the decades roll on. Our production/manufacturing independence is important both economically and nationally. Your point is very valid.
Freedom thrives on the illusion of choice. Slaves feel free when they get to choose a different side of the same coin. This distracts them from the bonds of their economic chains and ensures their allegiance to their masters. ~Me

Last edited by Anonymous_Ghost; 03-26-2020 at 4:14 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_Ghost View Post
The silver lining in all of this is that I hope it wakes the industry titans wake up and take a different approach to manufacturing goods. Some industries are too dirty to return to USA production but many are not. We also have vast areas of the country left behind and dwindling away in poverty/despair.

Hopefully, this makes some think beyond lowest costs manufacturing and outsourcing. Americans will have to adjust their buying habits as well to support the higher prices that US manufacturing will bring. It could also been a boon for jobs rebuilding private and public infrastructure and get the economy rolling again in full swing.

These viruses and their repercussions aren't going anywhere and will only continue as the decades roll on. Our production/manufacturing independence is important both economically and nationally.
There was a recall on the 2 drug combined pill......due to some sort of contaminant. That's why I take 2 separate pills now
Old 03-26-2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakosf View Post
There was a recall on the 2 drug combined pill......due to some sort of contaminant. That's why I take 2 separate pills now
Yeah it seemed like a new recall every week. It was crazy. I've always taken non combo version and I think even some of those were included inevitably. Most of mine come from India now. Not sure I feel much better about that though...lol. Also have taken Ranitidine for many-many years...uggghhh. Depressing to think about. Plus stuck with inferior famotidine to boot.
Old 03-26-2020, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Outsourcing of drug manufacturing is a problem...

The FDA makes a big deal out of drugs. Yet outsourcing to China and other places that may not like us is OK?

Not smart...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-26-2020, 5:10 PM

It would be nice if Losartan would help as I have been taking it for over two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Losartan makes me cough worse than Coronavirus.
Old 03-26-2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Losartan makes me cough worse than Coronavirus.
Of all the anti-hypertensives I've taken, Losartan Potassium produced the worst side-effects. Instant migraines, which I had never had before in my life, and it wrecked my eyesight. I was very slightly nearsighted to begin with but it made my nearsightedness worse and screwed my distance vision too, aka presbyopia.

My doctor denied it could have had anything to do with the Losartan but it was the only thing that had changed in my life at the time, a MRI showed nothing abnormal, and as soon as I stopped taking it my migraines vanished. Took a number of years for my eyesight to slowly normalize, and it never did completely, but I also aged during that time so it's impossible to know if it was the medication that did permanent damage, or simply aging.

If I ever contract this virus, I DGAF how bad it is. I will never take Losartan ever again.
Old 03-26-2020, 8:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Losrtan is one of drugs being tested

Quote:

Hyzaar is the combination drug. Contaminates were found in some lots and were recalled.

Sent from free America

Last edited by Doheny; 03-27-2020 at 1:48 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I recall something like that and the recall may have only been for pills from a particular manufacturer.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Check with a doctor and read up on the risks of using it. Note the very low doses used for malaria and the very high doses reported to have had some success.
he must be joking. that is used for ponds and aquariums.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

As far as I know, Losartan is being looked into, but even if it is benficial to treat COVID that treatment may require its use, or a similar drugs use, alone, in dangerously high doses, or in combination with other drugs or therapies to have any effect. Work with doctors and don't go chugging Losartan or anything that possibly may work.