Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-13-2018, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default I complained too much annual training is 21 days

Now it's 29 days............ Jesus.............

I'm hoping we can do a rotational thing where half the company does the first two weeks and the other half does the second.

Literally............ if there wasn't regulations in place that forced the payment of BAH at 30 days we'd be on training exercises 365.
Old 12-15-2018, 5:14 AM
CGN Contributor

We had one of those resliency classes and one of the exercises was to list possible reasons why Soldiers would turn to drugs and someone put 29 day orders.
Old 12-15-2018, 5:26 AM
Veteran Member

Well, you guys did volunteer....

~Pope John Paul II
Old 12-17-2018, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Well, you guys did volunteer....

Yep, that's why all the army reserve Captains and Staff SGTs are Disappearing.
Old 12-18-2018, 6:27 PM

It's actually why the Guard and Reserves are having retention problems now.

People just don't get it. The upping of the Reserve/Guard training requirements each year are causing employers more and more serious issues. Retention will be worse soon.

According to my former Chief of Staff, National Guard Bureau (NGB) and the other people involved are thinking about upping the MUTA/BA numbers from about 48 to 56 (4 extra training days) each year and going to 2 x 14 day annual training periods per year.

The view is that the part timer soldiers are just not ever ready enough for train-ups for the deployments, so the solution is to make them train more each year for missions that were never supposed to be part of the operation reserve mission. Reservists/Guardsmen are being used now, in some cases, more than the active duty which is absurd.

ESGR and USERRA still have a 5 year cap on job protections and employers are getting smart. Funny how it takes about 5-7 years to make a good CPT and a good SSG and these guys are disappearing. Moreover, there are some jobs NOT COVERED by USERRA protections, so that will be a sticky point too later.

If I were a business owner, I would likely find it very difficult to hire a part time soldier because of this. If he disclosed he were a part timer, I would simply table the application until I found a civilian. If he did NOT disclose on his application, and I found out he lied on his application, I would terminate him for lying on the application.

Bad juju all the way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

I always wondered why people join the reserves. Might as well let Uncle Sam go green balls deep.
Old 12-19-2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Now it's 29 days............ Jesus.............

I'm hoping we can do a rotational thing where half the company does the first two weeks and the other half does the second.

Literally............ if there wasn't regulations in place that forced the payment of BAH at 30 days we'd be on training exercises 365.
How does that work exactly? I've seen plenty of 21 day ATs where the unit fanagles the MUTAs before and after to get it that long. Do they just cut orders and say too bad so sad?

"don't worry everyone, the additional fifteen days will be paid by RMAs..."
Old 12-19-2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
How does that work exactly? I've seen plenty of 21 day ATs where the unit fanagles the MUTAs before and after to get it that long. Do they just cut orders and say too bad so sad?

"don't worry everyone, the additional fifteen days will be paid by RMAs..."
There are actually 2 answers to the question. First, there are 5 years in the ARFORGEN cycle. IN the 4th year, a unit gets a 21 day AT paid for by the government to prepare for the ready year. In year 4, they get a 29 day AT to make ready for deployment, as there are additional things that need to be done that aren't normally done during a regular year, plus there's usually some sort of MRX to be done.

In the second case, in a nutshell, yes. That's exactly how they do it. Everything is about 29 vs 30. At 30 day orders, they have to pay BAH. Just as an example, for me, that means they'd have to cut me an additional $3000 for the orders, given my rank, location, and TIG.

But, of course, I was informed of a General just ordering a SSG to just change his orders to add an additional day to make 30. Said he was "ordered to do it by higher".

So yeah...arbitrary and a bit capricious in some cases.

The final possibility is that yes...the unit just pays 14 or 15 extra RMAs to each Soldier, but that would absolutely BANKRUPT the RMA funding of a company or battalion. RMAs and RMPs are liquid gold to be dispensed judiciously.

Quote:
Old 12-20-2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post

People just don't get it. The upping of the Reserve/Guard training requirements each year are causing employers more and more serious issues. Retention will be worse soon.

According to my former Chief of Staff, National Guard Bureau (NGB) and the other people involved are thinking about upping the MUTA/BA numbers from about 48 to 56 (4 extra training days) each year and going to 2 x 14 day annual training periods per year.

The view is that the part timer soldiers are just not ever ready enough for train-ups for the deployments, so the solution is to make them train more each year for missions that were never supposed to be part of the operation reserve mission. Reservists/Guardsmen are being used now, in some cases, more than the active duty which is absurd.

ESGR and USERRA still have a 5 year cap on job protections and employers are getting smart. Funny how it takes about 5-7 years to make a good CPT and a good SSG and these guys are disappearing. Moreover, there are some jobs NOT COVERED by USERRA protections, so that will be a sticky point too later.

If I were a business owner, I would likely find it very difficult to hire a part time soldier because of this. If he disclosed he were a part timer, I would simply table the application until I found a civilian. If he did NOT disclose on his application, and I found out he lied on his application, I would terminate him for lying on the application.

My brother (National Guard) missed out on a promotion opportunity at his job while he was deployed. When he came back, he tried to apply for another opportunity, but was told he wasn't qualified because he missed out on employment training while he was deployed. He tried to do the training real fast, but they told him too late. He sued under USERRA, but lost, and ended up leaving the company. It sucks.
Old 12-20-2018, 9:30 AM

Quote:
There are actually 2 answers to the question. First, there are 5 years in the ARFORGEN cycle. IN the 4th year, a unit gets a 21 day AT paid for by the government to prepare for the ready year. In year 4, they get a 29 day AT to make ready for deployment, as there are additional things that need to be done that aren't normally done during a regular year, plus there's usually some sort of MRX to be done.

In the second case, in a nutshell, yes. That's exactly how they do it. Everything is about 29 vs 30. At 30 day orders, they have to pay BAH. Just as an example, for me, that means they'd have to cut me an additional $3000 for the orders, given my rank, location, and TIG.

But, of course, I was informed of a General just ordering a SSG to just change his orders to add an additional day to make 30. Said he was "ordered to do it by higher".

The final possibility is that yes...the unit just pays 14 or 15 extra RMAs to each Soldier, but that would absolutely BANKRUPT the RMA funding of a company or battalion. RMAs and RMPs are liquid gold to be dispensed judiciously.
Ah that makes sense... I haven't gotten the bigger picture to that degree in my career. It's just interesting- I see YTCs change with thirty days notice all the time, and right now my unit is up in the air with whether we'll continue to have a reset 14 day home station, or whether we'll now be tasked out to join a completely different battalion at NTC. Obviously there's some way they make orders appear, but as you said, it does seem very arbitrary and capricious...

I wish they would outright do away with RMAs barring someone actually going to a medical appointment, etc. I know some soldiers like coming in early and are entirely happy with an RMA for a full day's work, but that seems like such an incredible FU to them.
Old 12-20-2018, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
He sued under USERRA, but lost, and ended up leaving the company. It sucks.
Only the stupidest of employers ever lose those cases.

It's come down to the point the USAR takes too much. Not only from commanders, and officers, but all the way down to PV1 (E1).

Last week I was threatened by three levels higher that if my unit didn't meet the manning tasker for a training event they would randomly put those 9 soldiers on orders regardless and then article 15 them if they were no shows.

They will probably be expected to also attend the 29 day annual training on top of the class they will be taking.

Soldiers can't go to school, grad school, or even work now because of the demands. So then I ask, what is the point? These are only "training" events.
Old 12-20-2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:

It's come down to the point the USAR takes too much. Not only from commanders, and officers, but all the way down to PV1 (E1).

Last week I was threatened by three levels higher that if my unit didn't meet the manning tasker for a training event they would randomly put those 9 soldiers on orders regardless and then article 15 them if they were no shows.

They will probably be expected to also attend the 29 day annual training on top of the class they will be taking.

Soldiers can't go to school, grad school, or even work now because of the demands. So then I ask, what is the point? These are only "training" events.
Should I add, then, that while he was deployed the grad school he was attending cancelled his major that he was working towards a degree in? When he came back, they basically said sorry, you are going to have to pick a new major if you want to stay in school, never mind the fact that it will be completely unrelated to your former major (chinese), and you will be basically starting all over.
Old 12-20-2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:

Wow... Article 15? "uh huh... Sir let me borrow your pen... 'R. Winters...' I demand trial by court martial."

And spot on. We have NTC in early May and half the unit is in school. I wouldn't ever recommend the Guard or Reserve to someone who wants to get educational benefits from it.
Old 12-21-2018, 5:53 PM

Wow... Article 15? "uh huh... Sir let me borrow your pen... 'R. Winters...' I demand trial by court martial."

And spot on. We have NTC in early May and half the unit is in school. I wouldn't ever recommend the Guard or Reserve to someone who wants to get educational benefits from it.

Should I add, then, that while he was deployed the grad school he was attending cancelled his major that he was working towards a degree in? When he came back, they basically said sorry, you are going to have to pick a new major if you want to stay in school, never mind the fact that it will be completely unrelated to your former major (chinese), and you will be basically starting all over.

The funny thing is that with a set of orders in hand, a call from USERRA/ESGR, and a reasonable demeanor, things like this are usually able to be resolved.

That's how it's worked out for me a few times. There are times where it doesn't and what really frosts me is that this is the fault of the Guard and Reserve and no one else. Soldiers did not sign into the Reserves of the United States to be on active duty 50% of the time.

Quote:
Old 12-21-2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:

Snoopy,

Yes....they take too much. I agree.

Tell me: Are you a company commander of a Division HHC? If not, how on earth, and why, would a 2 Star representative (Chief of Staff most likely) reach out to you directly?

Were I those 9 Soldiers, I would, every one of them, file an IG complaint if every little iota of policy is not followed for those orders. T10 orders require 30 days minimum notice by regulation in order to prepare, though I have to recheck the specific details. I know this because I made it happen few years ago when they gave me 3 friggin' days to prep for a year long T10 mob.

On the subject of 29 day orders after attending a class, here's something you can use to screw with the people giving the Soldiers orders and maybe at least get them BAH for their troubles:

Another of those pesky little things called regulations prohibits orders issuing authorities to break orders for the sole reason of denying benefits under those orders.

If a Soldier can show that the class and the subsequent training are substantively related, then the orders by regulation must be amended to one set, potentially giving them a single set of orders over 30 days. All commanders and Operations Officers know this...it's part of the pain that goes with it because of the BAH rule.

I would maybe QUIETLY suggest in passing that they (or you just do it) find a way to show the AT orders are a follow on after training and are somehow related. Then they file an IG complaint over the breaking of orders to deny them benefits. All 9 of them to file it.

You'll need to back them up if they do, because they'll need your help. But, I guess, that is why we officers exist. Sometimes we need to put down our coffee and doughnuts, step up to the podium, and get bent out of shape because of the way subordinates are treated.

I've done it before for soldiers of mine and please forgive me all you higher officers and commander's who may be reading this:

I revel in the pain I cause sometimes to commanders because of their lack of foresight.

Quote:
Old 12-21-2018, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Snoopy,

Tell me: Are you a company commander of a Division HHC? If not, how on earth, and why, would a 2 Star representative (Chief of Staff most likely) reach out to you directly?
I'm a company commander of a typical TPU unit.

My full time staff told me our 1 star office was making this threat.

I say "office" because I can totally see that the full time staff of levels above us making empty threats in order to fill training taskers they are being pushed to doing and do so by bulling the Companies.

It's probably not known to the actual 1 star (a TPU as well) that such arm wrenching is being done by the higher command full time staff.
Old 12-22-2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
I'm a company commander of a typical TPU unit.

My full time staff told me our 1 star office was making this threat.

I say "office" because I can totally see that the full time staff of levels above us making empty threats in order to fill training taskers they are being pushed to doing and do so by bulling the Companies.

It's probably not known to the actual 1 star (a TPU as well) that such arm wrenching is being done by the higher command full time staff.
Sounds to me like the use of the Division Commander's "open door policy" is justified here. I responded to your PM.

Quote:

Last edited by Supersapper; 12-22-2018 at 5:55 PM..
Old 12-25-2018, 3:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Just wondering if this schedule still holds for RFX units or are there accelerated or heightened schedules if the unit is always in the 90 day window? They were threatening my former unit with 2 CTSX events last year even though we passed the first with a rating of "Trained". That would be 2x 21 day trainings. Not sure how they were going to make that work but it was on the table for some reason. Got scrapped in the end, thankfully.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 12-25-2018, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

funny you say that my unit returned from a one year stateside mob in 2017 and we are slated for mob in early 2020. None of the years of the ARFOGEN cycle applied to us. No 29 day AT last year or this year. Next year for AT it's 12 days period that's it.

We're not a RFX unit either but that's entirely different joke to even talk about.

For the most part a MRX will occur at the mob site. Supported a few at Bliss for my stateside mob.

As for FY 2020 I do not have our training schedule and I don't think the next years FY training plan has been addressed yet. It should be coming in the next few months.

The only thing I can anticipate is that 2019 is going to get stupid at my unit.

As for additional training days being added that's been floated around for a while now. As a federal employee they are complaining about the military time we're taking off. Even though that is protected under USERRA as one being protected from discrimination by being in the military for job applications and employment. I know i've been blatantly discriminated by employers for being in the Reserves. One even said it to my face

I did sue an employer for not hiring me back after orders. I won because it's illegal to not give me my job back.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-25-2018, 3:17 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
I always wondered why people join the reserves. Might as well let Uncle Sam go green balls deep.
Subsidized college through ROTC
You asked "why"... you didn't ask for a good reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

Last edited by Cokebottle; 12-25-2018 at 3:25 PM..
Old 12-25-2018, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Subsidized college through ROTC
You asked "why"... you didn't ask for a good reason
Some of us have other reasons. I got no bonus or loan repayment. In fact, I lose money being in the reserves.

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 12-25-2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
funny you say that my unit returned from a one year stateside mob in 2017 and we are slated for mob in early 2020. None of the years of the ARFOGEN cycle applied to us. No 29 day AT last year or this year. Next year for AT it's 12 days period that's it.

We're not a RFX unit either but that's entirely different joke to even talk about.

For the most part a MRX will occur at the mob site. Supported a few at Bliss for my stateside mob.

As for FY 2020 I do not have our training schedule and I don't think the next years FY training plan has been addressed yet. It should be coming in the next few months.

As for additional training days being added that's been floated around for a while now. As a federal employee they are complaining about the military time we're taking off. Even though that is protected under USERRA as one being protected from discrimination by being in the military for job applications and employment. I know i've been blatantly discriminated by employers for being in the Reserves. One even said it to my face

I did sue an employer for not hiring me back after orders. I won because it's illegal to not give me my job back.
Chris. Quit complaining. We hear enough of you at work
Old 12-25-2018, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I have one guy who just got put of the guard and one who is still on the guard as an E7. They never know their drill dates as they change on a whim and they dont get much notice if it's a MUTA 4, 5 etc. I just found out I'm loosing one of my guys for the whole month of February due to AT. It's hard to run a business unit like this.

I was in the Army Reserve and I like to give military guys a shot since I know some of what they go through. My unit put out drill dates for the year ahead and it never changed, we also did 14 day ATs.

The changing and short notice are more of a PITA than the time missing. I have deadlines and some large jobs have liquidated damaged for not finishing on time, this can run into very large amounts and lost future contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 12-25-2018, 7:11 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
Some of us have other reasons. I got no bonus or loan repayment. In fact, I lose money being in the reserves.
Of course.
But "free college" through ROTC is a big selling point by the recruiters to 16-18 year olds from middle-class families that can't swing the bucks for college when you don't have the grades (or "social club activities") for scholarships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Of course.
But "free college" through ROTC is a big selling point by the recruiters to 16-18 year olds from middle-class families that can't swing the bucks for college when you don't have the grades (or "social club activities") for scholarships.
Poor kids. The Reserves/NG is the absolute WORST thing a teenager could enter.

Go ACTIVE.

First thing I ask new young soldiers is DO YOU HAVE A CAR YOU CAN GET TO DRILL WITH? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO THE UNIT?

USAR/NG get no education benefits. The GI bill wont fully vest without 3 years of actual active duty time accumulated (which takes years of deployments, and on orders more than 30 days).

The $4K a year in tuition assistance isn't anything more than other employers offer as well, and other employers wont mess up your academic calendar.

A reservist could literally be deployed more than 3 years of full active duty time than the simple 3 years active duty contract is.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Nailed it.

I've been a platoon sergeant (essayons, sapper!) for nearly a decade now. I love leading my troops, but at this point I can't wait to hit my 20 years and pop smoke and GTFO.

I pulled over 150 points this year, and work dozens of hours during the month working unpaid on admin bull****. It's insane the amount of crap the USAR demands. I am quite literally expected to place everything secondary to a job that pays less than $7,000 a year.

And it's not so much that we're training more to be more lethal/prepared. We're doing more check box training that no one, the Dept of the Army included, takes seriously. Mission critical skills are way less important than a computer lab printed sexual harassment training certificate.

I miss the old Army
Old 12-27-2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
Nailed it.

I've been a platoon sergeant (essayons, sapper!) for nearly a decade now. I love leading my troops, but at this point I can't wait to hit my 20 years and pop smoke and GTFO.

I pulled over 150 points this year, and work dozens of hours during the month working unpaid on admin bull****. It's insane the amount of crap the USAR demands. I am quite literally expected to place everything secondary to a job that pays less than $7,000 a year.

And it's not so much that we're training more to be more lethal/prepared. We're doing more check box training that no one, the Dept of the Army included, takes seriously. Mission critical skills are way less important than a computer lab printed sexual harassment training certificate.

I miss the old Army
150 points, huh? That's 2.5 times the required amount. Bless ye, m' child.

And, btw: Essayons!

Guard is actually worse. At least you guys have a somewhat stable training year. Our days shift on a whim, sometimes a very short whim and they expect us to just up and change it. I have no illusions about this. Talking to my folks is hard enough. Trying to get the message to them when they weren't warned of the drill schedule change makes it worse.

As an Engineer, we're supposed to do the Engineer tables for demo once per year. I saw det cord as an EN 2LT in 2004. Haven't seen it one time since.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Just wondering if this schedule still holds for RFX units or are there accelerated or heightened schedules if the unit is always in the 90 day window? They were threatening my former unit with 2 CTSX events last year even though we passed the first with a rating of "Trained". That would be 2x 21 day trainings. Not sure how they were going to make that work but it was on the table for some reason. Got scrapped in the end, thankfully.
Not 100% certain about RFX, as this is not a term in the Guard. For us, it's a bit more random, since we have a domestic mission ourselves. My CoS is generally up on the info, and he indicated that the USAR was supposed to be in a similar boat down the road, but the Guard was more immediately affected due to our deployment "opportunities for success". USAR doesn't deploy the same way the Guard does, since NGB decided that we needed to be "more ready".

The problem is that our GOs don't seem to know how to say no, but also don't seem to understand manning requirements. Our command did 2 back to back AFG deployments with the ensuing overlap. It gutted us for state missions, but the remainder were still required to cover down on 2 x AT periods.

In a previous year, I did at least 3 x ATs. Fortunately, they were scheduled at convenient points for my civilian job, but that isn't the point. My job is unique in it's flexibility, but not infinite. It caused some disruption.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post

Not taking you back after orders is illegal, so yes, you won. Others, like my former rater, not so fortunate, even though he had his employer dead to rights and a memo proving the case. He lost a 15 year career and was only able to get $40K out of it.

USERRA and ESGR are NOT the panacea that people think they are. I've had to use them, and found out my job is not covered under the protections. More over, they are NOT advocacy groups and will not "take up the fight" for you. You have to initiate action with the appropriate agency and all they can do is provide a memo or letter supporting or denying your side of the events. They require themselves to remain neutral to the point of basically not giving you anything you can't do for yourselves. I find them, in a real sense, to be a racket. Nice folks, but if they can't help me fight the battle using some of their horsepower and clout, then what good are they?

I mentioned in another post that RFX is a term unique to the USAR. We in the Guard still have the ARFORGEN cycle, at least for now, until the next round of changes. We don't lock a unit into hi optempo for 2 years like the USAR does (if I understood it correctly), but we are also at the becon call of the state. "Two deployments? irrelevant....you have a state mission too, so suit up chaps."

The really odd thing is that my unit did 2 x back to back mobs to AFG and we still had to cover down on the state. What a mess that was.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2018, 1:49 AM

Quote:

Go ACTIVE.

First thing I ask new young soldiers is DO YOU HAVE A CAR YOU CAN GET TO DRILL WITH? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO THE UNIT?

USAR/NG get no education benefits. The GI bill wont fully vest without 3 years of actual active duty time accumulated (which takes years of deployments, and on orders more than 30 days).

The $4K a year in tuition assistance isn't anything more than other employers offer as well, and other employers wont mess up your academic calendar.

A reservist could literally be deployed more than 3 years of full active duty time than the simple 3 years active duty contract is.
Concur 100% and up the ante: in the Guard, tuition assistance is not guaranteed from year to year for everyone when they want it. I tell every kid I teach (I teach HS) do not do the USAR/NG. Go full tilt. I don't care which branch of service you do, just do full time. By the time your contract is up, you should have post 9/11 locked up, you've had a full time job for 4 years, and are still young enough to get a good education and start out in the world.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2018, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
By the time your contract is up, you should have post 9/11 locked up, you've had a full time job for 4 years, and are still young enough to get a good education and start out in the world.
Ideally, if the soldier had knocked out a transferable studies for their 1st year of general education while they were in active duty those three years they come out of it with three years worth of GI 9/11 that will see them till the end.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getpro56 View Post
Chris. Quit complaining. We hear enough of you at work
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 01-01-2019, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODRIVE View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
He works in storage and deals with Donna.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-26-2019, 6:39 AM

Quote:

In my humble opinion, Reservists want it both ways. Most soldiers join the Reserve, seek the benefits, and use it as a resume booster but want to lessen on the required drill/AT. However, more than 40 percent of these soldiers fail the required PT/HT&WT, weapons qual, or stay green on med pros. In a sense, lack of motivation and discipline hurts the number for the Command. We're not even talking about maintaining MOS skills

It is one of the reasons why various commands have been pushing for more mutas and required PT days on drill.
Old 02-26-2019, 6:45 AM

Quote:

Go ACTIVE.

Agreed. Unless you know how to make the Reserve a career (AGR or TOD opportunities), or work it to your advantage, which 95 percent of these TPU soldiers are even aware of, it is a waste of time. I don't even think you get the 100 percent GI bill after your initial 6 year contract is complete.
Old 02-26-2019, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprep View Post
Agreed. Unless you know how to make the Reserve a career (AGR or TOD opportunities), or work it to your advantage, which 95 percent of these TPU soldiers are even aware of, it is a waste of time. I don't even think you get the 100 percent GI bill after your initial 6 year contract is complete.
I will offer an alternative view on this. It is also a way to do something, to serve in some small way for personal satisfaction. I get no benefits and lose money when I drill. I am still happy to be there and put on the uniform. There are others like me. One of our docs loses a boat load of money when they send him to schools and such. Hes happy as a clam.

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 02-26-2019, 7:26 AM

Quote:
I will offer an alternative view on this. It is also a way to do something, to serve in some small way for personal satisfaction. I get no benefits and lose money when I drill. I am still happy to be there and put on the uniform. There are others like me. One of our docs loses a boat load of money when they send him to schools and such. Hes happy as a clam.
The Reserve definitely has its place and purpose, I was speaking more towards the younger soldiers who haven't established a career yet. For those who are more established in life, the Reserve is definitely a good way to serve the country
Old 02-26-2019, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
In my humble opinion, Reservists want it both ways................
The ARMY wants it BOTH WAYS as well. All the "mandatory" training, and twice yearly medical appointments are over coverage of "readiness" metrics ACTIVE duty is held to, and are overburdening the USAR. So on PAPER a reserve unit theoretically looks the SAME as an active unit of similar composition.

The only thing the USAR keeps up on is in the event of a major war that USAR units can skip MEPS.

That's it.................. You learn your MOS skill once at initial training and the rest of it is keeping up with annual sexual harassment training, active shooter training, medical check ups, bla, bla, bla.

Soldiers teeth will be clean and clear dental, but they wont know one end of an M-16 from another.

This FLU SHOT craziness has me thinking conspiracy theories. I had to literally DROP EVERYTHING and send half the company to CVS to get flu shots on a drill weekend. It was very odd how important this was, and the lengths higher commands were putting the pressure on. Effectively this threw away 5% of ALL my training time for the year for an ENTIRE COMPANY over flu shots.

Clearly the Army wants it both ways. Everyone who entered was sold a bill of goods for 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, which would be fine and dandy and fit into a conventional civilian career of a working week with 2 weeks vacation. However, that is not the reality. Now soldiers are getting entire month long exercises, and mini exercises of Drill Weekends that are 4 days long that eat into the working week.

One Company in my Battalion got royally screwed and have their Annual Training in D-E-C-E-M-B-E-R!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why........... because it wont fit anywhere else with everything else we've been bombarded by.
Old 02-26-2019, 8:50 AM

Quote:
The ARMY wants it BOTH WAYS as well. All the "mandatory" training, and twice yearly medical appointments are over coverage of "readiness" metrics ACTIVE duty is held to, and are overburdening the USAR. So on PAPER a reserve unit theoretically looks the SAME as an active unit of similar composition.

The only thing the USAR keeps up on is in the event of a major war that USAR units can skip MEPS.

That's it.................. You learn your MOS skill once at initial training and the rest of it is keeping up with annual sexual harassment training, active shooter training, medical check ups, bla, bla, bla.

Soldiers teeth will be clean and clear dental, but they wont know one end of an M-16 from another.

This FLU SHOT craziness has me thinking conspiracy theories. I had to literally DROP EVERYTHING and send half the company to CVS to get flu shots on a drill weekend. It was very odd how important this was, and the lengths higher commands were putting the pressure on. Effectively this threw away 5% of ALL my training time for the year for an ENTIRE COMPANY over flu shots.

Clearly the Army wants it both ways. Everyone who entered was sold a bill of goods for 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, which would be fine and dandy and fit into a conventional civilian career of a working week with 2 weeks vacation. However, that is not the reality. Now soldiers are getting entire month long exercises, and mini exercises of Drill Weekends that are 4 days long that eat into the working week.

One Company in my Battalion got royally screwed and have their Annual Training in D-E-C-E-M-B-E-R!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why........... because it wont fit anywhere else with everything else we've been bombarded by.
Army is going to be the Army, that has never ever changed. I'm assuming as an O2 you've been in for quite some time, enough time to assume the role of operating a company.

The Reserve is not the same as it was 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. Units are deploying at a much higher tempo, and even PFI/TOD are desperately undermanned due to having to cover down active duty personnel.

Not to mention, Reservists are failing to meet their own required obligations. How many times have you had to chase down your own soldiers to get their clearances, med pros, or schools taken care of? The fact that soldiers don't take the Reserve seriously or their Reserve career is only half the problem. The other half is definitely the Reserve Command

Being in a leadership position, of course you hold a way heavier burden than some E3, but come on man. If there is one contract where promises wont be met, its definitely a military contract.
Old 02-26-2019, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
......... I was speaking more towards the younger soldiers who haven't established a career yet.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're 18 years old, just out of high school and now joined the Army Reserves. Your GI benefits don't kick in until 3 years of FULL TIME ACTIVE DUTY. So as far as financing school is concerned is you are still pretty much on your own. Unless you deploy or go on orders longer than 30 days at a time nothing you do in the USAR is going to count toward your GI Bill.

So not only at 18 have you not materially helped your funding of school, you now have burdened yourself with a demanding employer with little compromise and will continually interrupt your abilities to put together an academic calendar. One year annual training will be on July, the next it will be in March, maybe you'll get hammered with December during finals.

Not going to school? Well, don't feel left out. You're 18 and trying to make it in life by building any sort of trade, but now you burden yourself with the first EIGHT YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!! of your career (1/3) of sporadic interruption.

Quote:
For those who are more established in life, the Reserve is definitely a good way to serve the country
Agreed. It's what I and Regular Guy did. I can mostly make it work and only because of a VERY supporting spouse.

However, as a company commander now of a Quartermaster unit I am surrounded by 100+ young privates who have trapped themselves. It's a constant stream of excuses for school interruptions or work conflicts of young people struggling with multiple jobs and struggling single parents.

I was most annoyed by a newly received PVT who by civilian training is a Dental Assistant, and looking for employment in that profession.

However, she's now a USAR Warehouse Clerk. She lives outside the 50 mile radius and I had to give her commander's approval to come to the unit so the recruiters could sign her up.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was a RESERVE DENTAL UNIT 30 minutes from her with a PRIMARY VACANCY dental assistant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF are the recruiters doing????????????????