Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Ruger predicts mid-December launch for their Marlin 1895 lever action, in 45-70

Chris Killoy, CEO and president of Ruger, was recently on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio podcast and I've linked that episode below.

( *TL;DR... Ruger's first Marlin lever gun will be the 1895 S.B.L., you know, the lever action rifle that can kill dinosaurs from Jurassic World. Forged, not investment casting parts and a cold forged barrel, not microgroove Marlin type barrel. )

In the first five minutes he states their first priority will be bringing back Marlin's Centerfire, lever action rifles and specifically the design of the 1895 S.B.L. model (Stainless steel, Big Loop) in 45-70 caliber, which he predicts "will launch and ship in mid December 2021".

He mentions both their Maine and North Carolina plants are working on it and after the 1895 will come their version of Marlin's 336 model (probably in 30-30, 444 Marlin, etc.) then they will start with the 1894 Marlin design in 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum.

I'm glad to see all those designs come back but personally I think they should have started with the the lever action rifle designs in .357 Magnum (also able to shoot 38 Special) and .44 Magnum because those will be better sellers in the long-term, in my opinion. (Am I alone in this thinking?)

Although I like the stainless steel for easy-care/ less rust I know some of the purest might want the blue steel when it comes to buying their lever action rifles. (Does that matter to you?)

He also states that they will all have ruger's cold forge hammered barrels and not the micro groove rifling some of the Marlins had.
And that if the original Marlin design had a a part of the rifle that was forged, that they won't automatically just replace it with ruger's well-known casting method.

That all said...
Will Santa be bringing you a new Marlin 1895 S.B.L. (as featured in the movie Jurassic World) ?
Or which model would you wait for and then try out?
Or if you can not fit another gun in your safe, what model do you think will be the biggest seller?

https://youtu.be/X_AHFat3yqE

Last edited by sealocan; 10-20-2021 at 11:25 AM..
Old 10-20-2021, 10:44 AM

Last Friday (October 15th), I got an e-mail form Grab-a-Gun saying that the Marlin Trapper in 45-70 was in stock. it was listed as new, but not sure how many they had. I have been waiting for this model or the SBL version, but did not buy it because I was not sure if it was a Ruger made or Remington made, and I want the new Ruger version. I wonder if the Ruger's are now hitting the selves or if these were older versions that were discovered in their warehouse.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:46 AM

My weaknesses ... 1911s, shotguns and 45-70 levers.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

I just hope they donít change it and run investment cast recovers and parts but it is river and what they specialize in.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.2madness View Post
Last Friday (October 15th), I got an e-mail form Grab-a-Gun saying that the Marlin Trapper in 45-70 was in stock. it was listed as new, but not sure how many they had. I have been waiting for this model or the SBL version, but did not buy it because I was not sure if it was a Ruger made or Remington made, and I want the new Ruger version. I wonder if the Ruger's are now hitting the selves or if these were older versions that were discovered in their warehouse.
This is just a guess so I could be wrong but I have a feeling those were old stock. I'm basing that on the way that Ruger c e o was talking about the work involved getting it all going for a December release. (He said he gets emails all the time wondering why it's taking so long.)
I guess it's possible that those were some first production/early run rifles put together at one of their plants, possibly using old parts but I have a feeling if that was the case you would have seen that mentioned in the ad.

You know it's a Calguns dilemma, get a classic Marlin Trapper while you can, probably with no factory service or warranty because they no longer exist.... or wait for Ruger to build one for you that they will stand behind but it might not have that classic look because it's made in stainless steel and Maybe has the Ruger name stamped on it somewhere.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

So does Ruger manufacturer ammo as well?
Old 10-20-2021, 11:50 AM

I can’t wait for the 1894 in .357.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I'm glad to see all those designs come back but personally I think they should have started with the the lever action rifle designs in .357 Magnum (also able to shoot 38 Special) and .44 Magnum because those will be better sellers in the long-term, in my opinion. (Am I alone in this thinking?)

Although I like the stainless steel for easy-care/ less rust I know some of the purest might want the blue steel when it comes to buying their lever action rifles. (Does that matter to you?)
Being that I already have the 1895 SBL in 45-70, and I'm now in the market for a stainless .44 Magnum lever, I too, would have preferred they started with that I don't know what the greater market preference is, but that's what I would have liked to see happen. I read some recent articles reporting that Henry is substantially increasing their production capacity, and now that they have a decent side-gate .44 Magnum in stainless, it's a strong contender, especially if I can get one before Ruger comes around to make a competing Marlin. I envision it filling a hassle-free (as in AW/legal restrictions) trunk gun I can take with me on my off-road adventures and camping trips, so I couldn't care less whether it was of one manufacturer, design, or manufacturing method or another - so long as it stands up to being jostled around and the occasional weather.

A Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum would be nice to complement the 1895, but a Henry Big Boy will do just fine.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:24 PM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post

My weaknesses ... 1911s, shotguns and 45-70 levers.

How does shooting a Marlin 1895GS while wearing a Springfield 1911 sound?

I do not get to do this often enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1100.jpg (98.5 KB, 21 views)

"Other peopleís rights dont end where your fears begin." - rcairbear

"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy WingDings
Old 10-20-2021, 12:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
How does shooting a Marlin 1895GS while wearing a Springfield 1911 sound?

And, And shooting in the Mojave.

MLC, First 3
Old 10-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
personally I think they should have started with the the lever action rifle designs in .357 Magnum (also able to shoot 38 Special) and .44 Magnum because those will be better sellers in the long-term, in my opinion. (Am I alone in this thinking?)

He also states that they will all have ruger's cold forge hammered barrels and not the micro groove rifling some of the Marlins had.
And that if the original Marlin design had a a part of the rifle that was forged, that they won't automatically just replace it with ruger's well-known casting method.

I think you're both right and wrong.

The .357 and .44 mag rifles would almost certainly sell more units.

However, that may not be the ultimate successful play here.

If I were in Ruger's position, and taking on an entire line of rifles, the type of which our factory had never attempted to produce before (leverguns), then the last thing you would want to do is to sell a huge number of a certain type of rifle (the best-selling models) and then find out after they have been in the customer's hands a few months that some glaring flaws began to surface. You get 10,000 posters on social media saying the rifles are crap, the new maker screwed them up... and another 50,000 posters like and share those posts. End result - general public thinks the new "Marlin's" by Ruger are crap, and the model/brand suffers for years.

By going with the less popular rifles first, there's potentially less initial exposure, and more latitude to recover from any manufacturing missteps before so many units make it out the door. And less recovery ramp-up from any initial bad publicity over it.
Old 10-20-2021, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

I might need a .444 for smaller dinosaurs...
Old 10-20-2021, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
I think you're both right and wrong.

The .357 and .44 mag rifles would almost certainly sell more units.

However, that may not be the ultimate successful play here.

If I were in Ruger's position, and taking on an entire line of rifles, the type of which our factory had never attempted to produce before (leverguns), then the last thing you would want to do is to sell a huge number of a certain type of rifle (the best-selling models) and then find out after they have been in the customer's hands a few months that some glaring flaws began to surface. You get 10,000 posters on social media saying the rifles are crap, the new maker screwed them up... and another 50,000 posters like and share those posts. End result - general public thinks the new "Marlin's" by Ruger are crap, and the model/brand suffers for years.
Did you just tell the story about the new Bronco?
Old 10-20-2021, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I think the hot seller would be the 357 mag.

It's a rifle for everyone!
Old 10-20-2021, 9:24 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I need one of these - I have no 45-70

And yes I think 357/38 would be a hot seller but it is also a crowded market. Whereas 45-70... not so much.

If you really want something unique and large, you could always go 50-95. I need one of these too
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/18...fle-50-95.html
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/18...ct-barrel.html

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-20-2021 at 9:31 PM..
Old 10-20-2021, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

All my Marlin lever actions are blued, but stainless steel is a good practical choice. As for which model I might be interested in? An 1894 in 44 magnum. I have one, but it has microgroove rifling, which I do not consider to be a good feature in a centerfire rifle.. So I am glad to hear they will be using normal rifling in their centerfire rifles. Will be interesting to see these rifles in person when they come out.
Old 10-21-2021, 6:18 AM

The top sellers will be the 45-70 sbl, and a 357 of some sort. Demand for both is a bit nutso right now, either one will sell every one they make very quickly. The 45-70 is probably the right choice, it's a bit more iconic than the 357, although the 357 is the more fun to own.
Old 10-21-2021, 7:15 AM

well I think the stainless is targeting more to hunters and people who are going to be out and about with them. It's not high on my list, but I do have a spot in my collection eventually for a blued .357, if I'm only going to have one, it's got to have that classic look.
Old 10-21-2021, 7:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Love my Henry Big Boy steel side gate 357. No waiting on that one.