Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-22-2020, 4:28 PM

Default Illuminated reticles for hunting???

I read a whole bunch of different terms being tossed around haphazardly. It can be quite confusing.
Especially since it's difficult to find high quality optics these days that don't have illuminated reticles.
Infra-red (IR) is NOT an "illuminated reticle". Illuminated reticles do not sense/amplify or"see" heat from an object/animal. They do not pick up the infra-red wavelength.
My understanding of "night sights" is that they are are either fiber optic (Light gathering) or tritium painted (light reflecting). They also do not make the ambient light of the environment brighter like with classic night vision (IR). They do not make the darkness brighter and they do not sense heat from an animal like with "thermal imaging".
Illuminated reticles and night sites, either fiber optic or painted, merely illuminate your sight pattern.
So my question, before I drop $500 on a scope, is "Can you use an illuminated reticle for hunting"???

Last edited by McTrigga; 04-22-2020 at 9:50 PM..
Old 04-22-2020, 6:08 PM

Are you asking if it is legal to use an illuminated reticle for hunting?

Or are you asking if there any practical applications for using an illuminated reticle for hunting?
Old 04-22-2020, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, "illuminated reticle" is OK. You are correct that thermal imaging/infra-red is not. IR does not mean illuminated reticle.
Old 04-22-2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Yes, "illuminated reticle" is OK. You are correct that thermal imaging/infra-red is not. IR does not mean illuminated reticle.
Thank you.
Old 04-22-2020, 9:44 PM

After digging a little deeper on the CDFW site, this is the wordage of the regulation on illuminated scope reticles for hunting:

Chapter 3: Big Game
SS352: Shooting Hours On Big Game
Sub-section (j) "Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of this section or Section 354 of these regulations, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal. Devices commonly referred to as "sniperscopes", night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on an animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, ***"RED DOT" SCOPES*** with ***SELF-ILLUMINATING RETICLES***, and *FIBER_OPTIC SIGHTS*** with self-illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal ***ARE PERMITTED***."

Again, thanks to Smoothy8500 for additionally clarifying my ignorance.

Last edited by McTrigga; 04-22-2020 at 9:47 PM..
Old 04-23-2020, 1:08 PM
CGN Contributor

You've still got some definitions wrong.

Fiber optic are NOT "night sights" as they need a light source to operate. They are for daytime and low light conditions.

Tritium is a gas. It is NOT painted on anything. Tritium is enclosed into glass capsules which are then inserted into sights. Tritium sights are "night sights" as they do not need other sources to amplify their presence.
Old 04-23-2020, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

For a hunting rifle the answer is simple.
Leupold VX3i 3.5X10X40 Duplex reticle Non-AO 1" tube sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards and hold on the animal for meat in the freezer . Been working since the 1970's.
If you feel a need for a lit reticle then the Leupold VXr 3X9 with Firedot reticle will work well and not break the bank.

There are many scopes that do not have lit reticles. Not sure where you were looking.
Old 04-23-2020, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Leupold VX3i 3.5X10X40 Duplex reticle Non-AO 1" tube sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards and hold on the animal for meat in the freezer . Been working since the 1970's.
Funny how the invention of First Focal Plane and "Christmas-tree" reticles have made things so difficult...Although I can see the merit in a (slightly) lit dot/reticle as the light starts to wane before dusk.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 04-23-2020 at 3:22 PM..
Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 AM

I second Diver hunters sentiment on the Leupold. When you hunt, less gimmicks the better. You want simple, reliable, good optics , basic duplex reticle. streamline, lightweight. Good optics with good duplex reticle is all you need, illumination not needed even in low light.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Diverhunter is the man. No doubt about it. But my eyes really "appreciate" the help illumination sometimes provides. Old body parts sxxk.
Old 05-25-2020, 8:00 AM

I feel ya . One of the best illums for hunting IMHO is the Trijicon acupoint 3x9x40
Old 05-25-2020, 8:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduracellbigd View Post
I feel ya . One of the best illums for hunting IMHO is the Trijicon acupoint 3x9x40

Also looking at Burris. Because weight is another enemy I also consider weight. Did anyone see that post about getting new eyes in five years? Now if I can just get the rest of my body bionic I can fulfill the bucket list
Old 05-30-2020, 6:03 PM

I ended up buying an Athlon Talos 4-14X44 FFP MRad Illuminated. Got it for $389.00 on sale. Got great ratings. I probably won't even touch the turrets. Zeroing at 200 yards.
We'll see how it performs in the field.
It's taken me nearly 3 months to find and buy my left handed rifle, and I'm still in the DROS process.
Old 05-31-2020, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

let us know how it works out especially in bad weather and rough use.
That is a fairly new brand on the USA market as I remember.

I will stick with Leupold on all my hunting firearms myself