Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:33 AM

Question LWRC Individual Carbine IC SPR - buy / dont buy

I have the opportunity to buy an LWRC Individual Carbine IC SPR with black spiral fluted barrel, gas-piston $2486.00 before tax and DROS.

l already have a Daniel DDMV47. I don't want to be a hoarder, but I would also like to take advantage of this deal if we are headed headed towards an AR ban.

Do you guys think this rifle is worth the cost? I know a lot of you like to buy lowers and build on your own - I don't necessarily have the time or skills and I like a singular, integrated, warrantied product.

I happen to have some emergency / new TV cash...but i dunno. I'm very tempted.

I also have a Glock19 at hold at the same dealership, so I have to choose.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Unless you are running suppressed or with high round counts, pistons are unnecessary, add weight and parts won't interchange with your DD in a pinch. I'd get the DI model instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 11:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have DI LMT, and KAC. I also have the pinned and welded 14.7 LWRC IC-SPR 110% it’s absolutely worth it. I love the details on the rifle, furniture, rail system, ambi controls, fluted barrel, enhanced BCG, nice trigger, what’s not to love? If you’ve got the coin and a slot in the safe then yes welcome the LWRC with open arms. The piston system is extremely reliable and well done, the bolt runs clean and stays cool.
Old 02-25-2021, 7:37 PM

What are the pros and cons of the piston vs DI?

Is the bird cage / muzzle welded in CA if its a fixed magazine?
Old 02-25-2021, 8:19 PM
In Memoriam

If you are only considering buying it because it’s available, I wouldn’t. I’d only buy it if it was a rifle that I really wanted to own.

The best hedge against an AR ban is a handful of lowers. ( And some 80% kits. ) Not only is this a cheaper initial expenditure, it’s also the most flexible. You could decide to build them up later, or not. You could later decide to sell them and not lose much - or any - money.

Putting a lower together is very simple; after you do it the first time you’ll be amazed at how easy it was ( except, perhaps, for the front pivot. Spend $10 on a dedicated tool.) Then slap on a quality complete upper and you are GTG.

Buy the G19, buy some quality lowers, save your money.

— Michael
Old 02-25-2021, 8:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaspit View Post
I have the opportunity to buy an LWRC Individual Carbine IC SPR with black spiral fluted barrel, gas-piston $2486.00 before tax and DROS.

l already have a Daniel DDMV47. I don't want to be a hoarder, but I would also like to take advantage of this deal if we are headed headed towards an AR ban.

Do you guys think this rifle is worth the cost? I know a lot of you like to buy lowers and build on your own - I don't necessarily have the time or skills and I like a singular, integrated, warrantied product.

I happen to have some emergency / new TV cash...but i dunno. I'm very tempted.

I also have a Glock19 at hold at the same dealership, so I have to choose.
Way too expensive. LWRC is a great high end brand and MSRP is like $2300. In the used market these are $1700.

I would pass, just not worth it IMO and I don’t consider the panic buying or COVID into my decision. It’s not affecting anything really here.

Offer him $1999 out the door and if he says no give them the finger and walk. Dealer cost is like $2000. If you live in Oregon there is no sales tax in your equation. And it’s a $10 NICS check.

Good luck.

Last edited by Endless; 02-25-2021 at 8:33 PM..
Old 02-25-2021, 9:03 PM

You already have a great rifle with the DD M4V7. Maybe get some spare parts such as BCG, bolt assembly, LPK, barrel, etc...if you are concerned about any future bans.

The LWRC is different with the piston gas system but you will never realize the full benefits living in California since using a suppressor is not feasible. Plus, the the SPR is a chonky rifle and pretty front heavy.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of the piston vs DI?

Is the bird cage / muzzle welded in CA if its a fixed magazine?

Think about it.
  • Pro: With a piston system no gas is circulated back into the action. So less carbon fouling and heat transfer in the action. BCG and bolt stays cleaner, longer. So, in theory, improved reliability. Since no gas is being sent back to the action, no gas-face when suppressed (a moot benefit in CA).
  • Con: More non-standard parts. More weight at muzzle end, which can make the rifle marginally slower to point—basic physics. More weight, added parts complexity, at higher cost, for benefits you will never realize in CA.

If said semi-auto center-fired rifle meets minimum CA overall length requirement, has a fixed magazine, there is no need to pin or weld muzzle device. Don't take my word for it. Research and familiarize yourself with the state's laws.

Last edited by fmunk; 02-26-2021 at 12:39 PM..
Old 02-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Price seems high, my buddy picked up one on GB a few months ago for $1900. LWRC makes a real nice piston gun
Old 02-26-2021, 1:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default DEAL?

Quote:

l already have a Daniel DDMV47.
LWRC makes great gear....

I am not a fan of a non standard piston set up....

You need to decide, are you better off buying a lower or stripped lower and completing it later... or kicking out $5K for this gun and optics?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-26-2021, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

If you want it and have the $ lying around go for it

I have an LMT piston rifle and it’s super reliable and built like a tank, and easy to clean. I’m sure LWRC is along those same lines as it’s a reputable company
Old 02-26-2021, 2:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
Since no gas is being sent back to the action, no gas-face when suppressed (a moot benefit in CA).
Well, less gas face. Usually. The SIG MPX is pretty well known for gassing people. It comes back down the barrel.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:31 PM

$2486 is not cheap but the rifle is worth every penny. Glock 19’s are a dime a dozen but a reliable, piston driven rifle by a reputable company is an awesome addition to your collection.