Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-09-2019, 12:58 AM

Default Excel MP-22 .22wmr?

Anyone have any input on this gun? Reviews seem to be mixed... either "great" or "jam-o-matic", and not many reviews to be found!

I picked up a deal on the rifle version, and while the first range trip had "issues" (stovepiping), I think I've got those identified and "buffed out" (OK, there may have been some grinding involved...). Presuming it now runs smoothly (next range trip), it seemed like as long as I'm going to have .22wmr "in stock" (and perhaps later .17hmr?), a pistol using the same round would be a logical addition.

The ballistics of the round are impressive, and since it's a rimfire, perhaps it will continue to be overlooked as the evil overlords pass more and more restrictive anti gun laws?!

PS - if you've got one laying around in the aforementioned jam-o-matic condition, I might be interested in re-homing it!

Last edited by DB>; 12-09-2019 at 1:24 AM..
Old 12-09-2019, 8:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://gunblast.com/Excel-22Mag.htm

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 01-07-2020, 4:51 PM

I used to have one of their 17hmr rifles, it was fun but not really that great.
Old 01-07-2020, 5:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

In general, 22 WMR semi-autos are jam-o-matics.
This is regardless of Manufacturer.
This is from the higher operating pressure not being able to function reliably in a blowback design.
Most rimfire semi-autos are blowback.
Many companies have tried to make a blowback 22 WMR and then quickly discontinued after so many problems.

If someone were to create some additional mechanical delay before the bolt could unlock that would allow the bullet to leave the barrel, the WMR could be made much more reliable.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:28 PM

I have to get to the range to see if I got the kinks worked out on the MR22, but definitely found certain specific issues that needed correction to get proper extraction/ejection. The Excel guns have been around for a while, but seem to have mixed reviews, so I'm guessing some work fine, others might need some attention...

The Razor 80% based 10/22 Magnum I cobbled together has run flawless on a few range trips, 100+ rounds each time. Based on everything I read, I expected it to be problematic, but it's operating quite smoothly - guess my research and prior experience must have paid off... or I got lucky! I did make a couple modifications to help keep the bolt closed as long as possible.

I've read that many owners of the original Ruger Magnum had good luck with 'em, and others had enough trouble that Ruger killed the platform.... so there is a lot of variability.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
I have to get to the range to see if I got the kinks worked out on the MR22, but definitely found certain specific issues that needed correction to get proper extraction/ejection. The Excel guns have been around for a while, but seem to have mixed reviews, so I'm guessing some work fine, others might need some attention...

The Razor 80% based 10/22 Magnum I cobbled together has run flawless on a few range trips, 100+ rounds each time. Based on everything I read, I expected it to be problematic, but it's operating quite smoothly - guess my research and prior experience must have paid off... or I got lucky! I did make a couple modifications to help keep the bolt closed as long as possible.

I've read that many owners of the original Ruger Magnum had good luck with 'em, and others had enough trouble that Ruger killed the platform.... so there is a lot of variability.
The main variability is the ammo.
Many guns can be made to run one specific kind but most people will complain when a gun won't run all kinds or the kind they want to use for whatever arbitrary reason it may be.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-08-2020, 2:33 PM

CCI and Hornady work fine, Aguila was a bit problematic, seems to be slightly larger diameter case, just enough to make feeding jam up, but I've addressed that with a good polish of the problem areas... I know that there is some 22wmr ammo designed for the short barrels of revolvers, not a good idea for a rifle!

I've seen plenty of "malfunctions" that were ammo specific, regardless of caliber.... can't always blame the gun.
Old 01-10-2020, 7:28 PM

I have the pistol version. It definitely needed some breaking it, but works pretty well now. I haven't gone through and polished anything though I suspect it would help because some of the castings are pretty rough. Most stuff in the 40gr range works fine now, the lighter stuff not so much. That's a common issue with blowback guns however. The gun is quite accurate, and would be more so if I could do something about the crappy trigger