Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2021, 8:34 AM

Default Can my mother transport my handgun?

Ok. My mother and I are both California residents, live in same household. We are both taking a trip to Washington state. She is driving, I am flying. Can she legally drive the pistol up until we meet two days later? (I’d like to avoid the usual delays of checking luggage.)

I would have the unloaded pistol in a locked box in her car, cable locked to the rear seat frame. She would not have the key. Would she be “in possession” of a pistol that is not registered to her? Unlawful loan/transfer? She would drive through CA, OR, and WA.

I am pretty sure the answer here is a hard no, but I would appreciate if someone could cite the relevant codes. Feel free to post irreverent commentary as you wish, but I am interested in understanding the letter of the law (hailing Librarian…)

Thanks, Team.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-13-2021, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

I believe the loan is allowed since it is a parent and can have access to the firearm.

Once she goes into OR or WA, it wouldn’t really matter as long as she’s not prohibited from possessing.

Librarian or Quiet will chime in I hope with actual citations.

Old 10-13-2021, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

FWIW, I experience longer delays checking golf clubs then I do checking firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 10-13-2021, 9:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

you said she would not have the key and gun would be cable locked in the car. Is she making this drive in one non-stop day ? or staying in a hotel a night or 2 and making it a fun drive ? if so, she will need to key to take the gun into the motel room (Pretty sure she can't leave it in the car, not positive though)

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 10-13-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
you said she would not have the key and gun would be cable locked in the car. Is she making this drive in one non-stop day ? or staying in a hotel a night or 2 and making it a fun drive ? if so, she will need to key to take the gun into the motel room (Pretty sure she can't leave it in the car, not positive though)
She will stay in hotel 1 night in Oregon, good catch, thanks.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjay View Post
Can my mother transport my handgun?

Ok. My mother and I are both California residents, live in same household. We are both taking a trip to Washington state. She is driving, I am flying. Can she legally drive the pistol up until we meet two days later? (I’d like to avoid the usual delays of checking luggage.)

I would have the unloaded pistol in a locked box in her car, cable locked to the rear seat frame. She would not have the key. Would she be “in possession” of a pistol that is not registered to her? Unlawful loan/transfer? She would drive through CA, OR, and WA.

I am pretty sure the answer here is a hard no, but I would appreciate if someone could cite the relevant codes. Feel free to post irreverent commentary as you wish, but I am interested in understanding the letter of the law (hailing Librarian…)

Thanks, Team.
In order to be legal under CA laws:
1. The handgun must be registered to you. [PC 27880(f)]
2. Your mother needs a valid FSC or exemption to the FSC. [PC 27880(e)]
3. The duration of the loan can not be more than 30 days. [PC 27880(d)]

Penal Code 27880
Section 27545 does not apply to the loan of a firearm if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(a) The loan is to a spouse, registered domestic partner, or any of the following relations, whether by consanguinity, adoption, or steprelation:
(1) Parent.
(2) Child.
(3) Sibling.
(4) Grandparent.
(5) Grandchild.
(b) The loan is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(c) The loan is for any lawful purpose.
(d) The loan does not exceed 30 days in duration.
(e) Until January 1, 2015, if the firearm is a handgun, the individual being loaned the firearm shall have a valid handgun safety certificate. Commencing January 1, 2015, for any firearm, the individual being loaned the firearm shall have a valid firearm safety certificate, except that in the case of a handgun, an unexpired handgun safety certificate may be used.
(f) If the firearm being loaned is a handgun, the handgun is registered to the person making the loan pursuant to Section 11106.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-13-2021, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
In order to be legal under CA laws:
1. The handgun must be registered to you. [PC 27880(f)]
2. Your mother needs a valid FSC or exemption to the FSC. [PC 27880(e)]
3. The duration of the loan can not be more than 30 days. [PC 27880(d)]

Penal Code 27880
Section 27545 does not apply to the loan of a firearm if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(a) The loan is to a spouse, registered domestic partner, or any of the following relations, whether by consanguinity, adoption, or steprelation:
(1) Parent.
(2) Child.
(3) Sibling.
(4) Grandparent.
(5) Grandchild.
(b) The loan is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(c) The loan is for any lawful purpose.
(d) The loan does not exceed 30 days in duration.
(e) Until January 1, 2015, if the firearm is a handgun, the individual being loaned the firearm shall have a valid handgun safety certificate. Commencing January 1, 2015, for any firearm, the individual being loaned the firearm shall have a valid firearm safety certificate, except that in the case of a handgun, an unexpired handgun safety certificate may be used.
(f) If the firearm being loaned is a handgun, the handgun is registered to the person making the loan pursuant to Section 11106.
Thanks alot, Quiet!

Mom has a valid firearm safety certificate, I am the registered owner, loan is for 2 days.

Looks like I am good to go.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-13-2021, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure she has the keys
And it remain in a locked container when traveling

Old 10-13-2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks alot, Quiet!

Mom has a valid firearm safety certificate, I am the registered owner, loan is for 2 days.

Looks like I am good to go.
Why would you not simply legally transport it on the airplane? That way, you would have it long before your mother ever gets there. It is really easy, and no big deal.
Old 10-14-2021, 6:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Thanks, Team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Why would you not simply legally transport it on the airplane? That way, you would have it long before your mother ever gets there. It is really easy, and no big deal.
I get the question but the OP never said that they were leaving at the same time. Mom may be leaving before him and when he gets there Mom will already be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 10-14-2021, 6:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

GTG, bigger worries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Old 10-14-2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Excellent question. In answer, mom will leave 2 days before me, will pick me up at the airport when I land. I know from experience that it is not a big hassle to fly with the firearm, the issue is this - Because she is driving all the gear, I can just walk on with gunless carry-on, I won’t have to check bags and won’t have to wait for baggage claim. It is imperative that I land and get out of the airport ASAP. Why? , so I can hit the beach and take advantage of the limited razor clam harvest tide later that night.

Tight schedule, tight window. Chowder, anyone?

-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by adamjay; 10-14-2021 at 6:09 PM..
Old 10-14-2021, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Excellent question. In answer, mom will leave 2 days before me, will pick me up at the airport when I land. I know from experience that it is not a big hassle to fly with the firearm, the issue is this - Because she is driving all the gear, I can just walk on with gunless carry-on, I won’t have to check bags and won’t have to wait for baggage claim. It is imperative that I land and get out of the airport ASAP. Why? , so I can hit the beach and take advantage of the limited razor clam harvest tide later that night.

Tight schedule, tight window. Chowder, anyone?
Sounds good…
Old 10-19-2021, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

So, does mom have pointy elbows?

Also,

Old 10-19-2021, 8:53 PM

Why not fly with it?
I just flew LAX to BWI and back with a handgun.
No problems at all