Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2021, 12:46 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,191
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default Recommendations please? Pro-user 4K video editing…?

Looking to tap into the collective knowledge of CalGuns…

I edit lots of videos - mostly of social events with friends, family vacations/activities, shooting matches, etc. But with the advent of technology - my current 4-year old rig is crawling when working on 4K raw footages (GoPro, InstaONE, etc.).
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070, 8GB DDR5
  • CPU: i7-7700 3.6GHz
  • HDD: 2TB+M.2 & PCIE 256GB SSD
  • RAM: 16GB (8GB * 2)

Software is either CyberLink’s PowerDirector of Wondershare’s FilmoraX.


Am thinking of going Mac with the M1 chip in the Mini form factor maxing out the RAM to 16GB, 512GB internal HDD and make use of the fast ports of an external HDD (for capacity). Software will either be FCP, Filmora for Mac or maybe DaVinci. But will this be enough? Say, for at least 3~4 years?


Another alternative is to go with a PC, again, in a mini-format. More or less same specs but with the Ryzen 7. I really want to Ryzen 9, but can’t find a bundle that has it, unless I go BYO… which I prefer not going through because I don’t have the luxury of “tinkering/tuning,” etc. (that I had when I was way way younger)…

Any recommendations? Budget is more or less $1,500.

Thanks in advanced!


_
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2021, 8:44 PM
Preston-CLB's Avatar
Preston-CLB Preston-CLB is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sierra Foothills N of Yosemite
Posts: 1,248
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Your current specs are actually pretty decent. I suggest upgrading your RAM to at least 32GB--64 would be better.

Perhaps it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Clean all the temp files and other garbage off of your drives. Also, disable programs that run in the background that aren't needed and can be started manually. Some of them really chew up ram and hit the CPU. Third, uninstall apps you don't need to free up disk space. SSD's run best when they are less than 75% full.

Don't know if it's possible with your motherboard, but you might consider upgrading your CPU to a six or eight core I9.

JMHO, but Macs are not worth the premium price.
-P
__________________
“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2021, 9:52 PM
jbj jbj is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 741
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

Firstly, what software are you talking about? There’s really four NLEs out there; Avid, Adobe Premiere, Resolve, and Final Cut Pro.

You should think about transcode for editing, then relink to 4K files for DI/finish. Editing 4K native takes a lot of horsepower.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Much peace
Jimmy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2021, 10:43 PM
cleonard cleonard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 769
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

For video editing like that you will get better results with more of everything. You really want you video that you are editing on NVMe drives. Keeping archival videos on spinning disks is OK, but while actively working on them. If you are currently editing from/to the spinning hard drive, that is probably your bottleneck

You should get a big boost with a new system. You want something that can take two NVMe drives if you can.

Last edited by cleonard; 10-03-2021 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2021, 6:21 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,191
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
Your current specs are actually pretty decent. I suggest upgrading your RAM to at least 32GB--64 would be better.
This is a 4+ yr old PC. SSD may already be beaten up…

PC has also been re-blasted / everything re-installed from scratch.

Quote:
Don't know if it's possible with your motherboard, but you might consider upgrading your CPU to a six or eight core I9.
Don’t know about that, but again, a 4+ yr old motherboard?

Quote:
JMHO, but Macs are not worth the premium price.
Unless I am missing something - the M1 chip outperforms video editing with similarly priced PCs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
Firstly, what software are you talking about? There’s really four NLEs out there; Avid, Adobe Premiere, Resolve, and Final Cut Pro.
It’s in my OP. If I’d move to a newer rig - it would be FCP, Resolve, PowerDirector or Filmora.

Quote:
You should think about transcode for editing, then relink to 4K files for DI/finish. Editing 4K native takes a lot of horsepower.
The softwares I have do have the capability of using proxy files for the 4Ks. Preview is lower resolution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cleonard View Post
For video editing like that you will get better results with more of everything. You really want you video that you are editing on NVMe drives. Keeping archival videos on spinning disks is OK, but while actively working on them. If you are currently editing from/to the spinning hard drive, that is probably your bottleneck
I know. That is my rationale - mini form-factor with a big enough SSD as a workspace, then source/archival in external disk.

Quote:
You should get a big boost with a new system. You want something that can take two NVMe drives if you can.
That is the point of the post - what recommendations for a new system excluding a BYO option.


_
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2021, 10:43 PM
xcoreflyup xcoreflyup is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 127
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

a decent graphics card will take up most of that $1500 currently so.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2021, 7:52 AM
ibanezfoo's Avatar
ibanezfoo ibanezfoo is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wimberley, TX
Posts: 8,484
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Looking to tap into the collective knowledge of CalGuns…

I edit lots of videos - mostly of social events with friends, family vacations/activities, shooting matches, etc. But with the advent of technology - my current 4-year old rig is crawling when working on 4K raw footages (GoPro, InstaONE, etc.).
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070, 8GB DDR5
  • CPU: i7-7700 3.6GHz
  • HDD: 2TB+M.2 & PCIE 256GB SSD
  • RAM: 16GB (8GB * 2)

Software is either CyberLink’s PowerDirector of Wondershare’s FilmoraX.


Am thinking of going Mac with the M1 chip in the Mini form factor maxing out the RAM to 16GB, 512GB internal HDD and make use of the fast ports of an external HDD (for capacity). Software will either be FCP, Filmora for Mac or maybe DaVinci. But will this be enough? Say, for at least 3~4 years?


Another alternative is to go with a PC, again, in a mini-format. More or less same specs but with the Ryzen 7. I really want to Ryzen 9, but can’t find a bundle that has it, unless I go BYO… which I prefer not going through because I don’t have the luxury of “tinkering/tuning,” etc. (that I had when I was way way younger)…

Any recommendations? Budget is more or less $1,500.

Thanks in advanced!


_
That CPU is ok for now and can be overclocked. I have a pile of them in CAD machines running at 4.5+. You need way more RAM though. Also way more HD space.

You might look into some better software too like Lightworks or Davinici Resolve.
__________________
Our time has come
To dismantle the dark we march on
Once and for all
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2021, 1:43 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,191
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
That CPU is ok for now and can be overclocked. I have a pile of them in CAD machines running at 4.5+. You need way more RAM though. Also way more HD space.

You might look into some better software too like Lightworks or Davinici Resolve.
Good idea. Let me check on the cost of getting more RAM for this right and see what risks do I have with overclocking it…

Thanks!


_
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2021, 6:58 PM
zettix's Avatar
zettix zettix is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 100
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Good idea. Let me check on the cost of getting more RAM for this right and see what risks do I have with overclocking it…

Thanks!


_
Consult your motherboard documentation, many have a maximum amount of ram they can handle (along with the speed and type). Then max it out
Same thing with the CPU.


Instead of going bleeding edge, I'd just go with 2 year old stuff and max it out. CPU speeds have maxed out, so now it's cores, cores, cores. Hopefully your Nonlinear video editing solution is multithreaded.
__________________
An armed society is a polite society. ~ Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-13-2021, 7:19 PM
uzigalil uzigalil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,117
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

get a m1 chip mac mini or wait until october 18 and see if a mac mini pro comes out. But it handles 4k with no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-14-2021, 9:20 AM
ibanezfoo's Avatar
ibanezfoo ibanezfoo is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wimberley, TX
Posts: 8,484
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettix View Post
Consult your motherboard documentation, many have a maximum amount of ram they can handle (along with the speed and type). Then max it out
Same thing with the CPU.


Instead of going bleeding edge, I'd just go with 2 year old stuff and max it out. CPU speeds have maxed out, so now it's cores, cores, cores. Hopefully your Nonlinear video editing solution is multithreaded.
Speeds have actually gone down a bit. Sucks for CAD users though because the software likes raw speed and doesn't really utilize those extra cores. The benefit of the cores is doing more work at full speed rather than 1 thing even faster. So we can open a few sessions of Revit without lagging with more cores, but none of the sessions on an i9 10920X is any faster, and in some cases slower, than an older overclocked i7 7700K.
__________________
Our time has come
To dismantle the dark we march on
Once and for all
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2021, 11:03 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,191
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzigalil View Post
get a m1 chip mac mini or wait until october 18 and see if a mac mini pro comes out. But it handles 4k with no issues.
That is what I was actually thinking for a quick “out of the box” solution…

Still weighing my options and indeed waiting for the upcoming event.


_
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:26 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical