Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2021, 9:34 PM

Default Question about an intrafamilial transfer

So my wifes father wants to gift her a HK Mark 23. He lives in a free state and we live in California. The Mark 23 comes with a threaded barrel and I know that is not legal in California. I believe he also has a non threaded barrel as well that will go in for the transfer to California. My question is, can he include the threaded barrel in the case as well? It would not be in the gun at all but along side it in a ziplocked bag that the non threaded barrel came in. We just weren't sure if there would be an issue with the threaded barrel in the case as well or not. Also if it cannot be included, where would the FFL get the serial number that should be on the barrel since it's a non stock unthreaded barrel in the gun when it gets here. Thanks for any help on this one.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:03 PM
Calguns Addict

There’s no serial number on the slide or frame?

Have him mail you the barrel separately and include the non-threaded with the firearm?

I’m sure Quiet or Librarian will chime in shortly.

iTrader
Old 09-17-2021, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Serial number on the frame is the one that counts in the USA. Ship the threaded barrel separately, the transfering FFL does not need to know of it or anything. Don't make it complicated.
Old 09-18-2021, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
There’s no serial number on the slide or frame?

Have him mail you the barrel separately and include the non-threaded with the firearm?

I’m sure Quiet or Librarian will chime in shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
Serial number on the frame is the one that counts in the USA. Ship the threaded barrel separately, the transfering FFL does not need to know of it or anything. Don't make it complicated.
Ya, mailing the barrel separately was another option I was thinking of as well. I just wasn't sure if the FFL needed to match up all the serial numbers on it. And yes, I believe there is a serial number on the frame as well.
Old 09-18-2021, 2:42 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Mk 23 has serial numbers on barrel slide and frame. The only one that matters is the frame, the FFL could care less if the others are there or if they match.

Unless you know the FFL very well, my advice is to *not* include the threaded barrel in the package with the gun.

Old 09-19-2021, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Mk 23 has serial numbers on barrel slide and frame. The only one that matters is the frame, the FFL could care less if the others are there or if they match.

Unless you know the FFL very well, my advice is to *not* include the threaded barrel in the package with the gun.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Ya, I'll probably go the route of having him mail the threaded barrel since that seems to be less hassle.
Old 09-21-2021, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

They don’t need to match up serial numbers. Think about all those mismatched C&R guns out there that transfer fine. GeForce is right, the one on the frame is what matters.