Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-15-2021, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I concur that the 357 Magnum / 38 Special will be their first offering and then possibly another cartridge like 44 Magnum or 30 / 30. But the real question is are they going to offer them at a price that makes them a big hit?

I feel if they come up with new Marlins that cost anywhere above $700...
I think they won't be hot sellers like they could be if they sold for under $500.
There wouldnít be much quality if it co$ts less than $800-1K. Otherwise, youíll end up with lots of cheap plastic, and wood-to-metal fit that resembles a ledge you could parachute off of. And plenty of sharp edges, with a crappy finishing attempt, not to mention a trigger that is gritty, and weighs more than a Sherman tank.
The solution is to offer two versions: Sanford & Sons, and then semi-custom from their own in-house shop with upgrades.
Old 08-15-2021, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

That's what Marlin has been doing since the '60s, with the Glenfield line, then later the 336W model.
Obviously not recently in California, but elsewhere, WalMart had the cheap model with press checkered birch for under $400. The upmarket 336C with real walnut stock was $600.
Old 08-15-2021, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

I see no problem with inexpensive models, so long as the action remains the same quality. This would be like Remington with the ADL, SPS, BDL, and CDL. Same action, higher-grade finish, i. e. it's a prettier gun.

Were Ruger to use a quality wood that may not have a "burl walnut type" figure, such as birch, to make affordable leverguns, I'd be all for that. That was the idea behind the American, which up until a few years ago, was a very compelling bargain for a quality huntin' rifle. I remember seeing them at $350-ish at Walmart on a regular basis.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 08-21-2021, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Marlin 62 in .30 Carbine
You spelled .327 Magnum wrongÖ
Old 08-24-2021, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
I still kinda wish Ruger would do a 96/357 or 96/10mm...
Indeed!
Old 09-13-2021, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I would be happy to spend an extra 50-75% for a Marlin of higher quality.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplow View Post
I would be happy to spend an extra 50-75% for a Marlin of higher quality.
Now that the Henry lever actions have side loading gates on them, that's basically what they are--A superior, higher-quality alternative to the Marlin. You should check them out if you haven't already.

I've owned, in total and at various times, three Marlins and two Henries. I now own zero Marlins and two Henries.
Old 09-14-2021, 5:49 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Now that the Henry lever actions have side loading gates on them, that's basically what they are--A superior, higher-quality alternative to the Marlin

That is only an opinion.

While the Henry is improving for sure, I'd still rather own and shoot a properly-made Marlin, of which examples do exist. Where they do not they may be put right in most cases.

With Ruger now manufacturing Marlin lever rifles and carbines, we can be somewhat certain of a return of the quality-made Marlin.

Just mho.
"The primary purpose of a rifle is a first-shot hit, whether the target is game or a human antagonist. Semi-automatic fire does not assure this. As a matter of fact it sometimes detracts from it by letting the shooter believe that if he misses with his first shot he can always make up with a second. This is a bad attitude for a rifleman." - Jeff Cooper, 1984

"Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy WingDings
Old 09-14-2021, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Now that the Henry lever actions have side loading gates on them, that's basically what they are--A superior, higher-quality alternative to the Marlin. You should check them out if you haven't already.

I've owned, in total and at various times, three Marlins and two Henries. I now own zero Marlins and two Henries.
Iíll be taking delivery of a Henry 45-70 in the next couple of weeks.

I really like the styling and handling of my Marlin 1894 44 mag, but I really donít like the clunky furniture with poor fit, the front sight that came loose the first time I shot it, and the boogered up screw from the factory. The metal finish leaves a bit to be desired as well, but thatís the least of my concerns.

If Ruger can rectify these issues Iíll gladly sell my current Marlin and pick up a new one, even if it costs a few hundred more.
Old 09-14-2021, 8:53 AM

I donít own the caliber, but Iíd be really interested in an 1894 in .327 Federal Mag, and a Vaquero in the same. It would be a fun set.

That said, itís already tough to swallow what people are asking for a JM stamped 1894c. Want a second one, but I tend to be a cheap bastard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2021, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
I donít own the caliber, but Iíd be really interested in an 1894 in .327 Federal Mag, and a Vaquero in the same. It would be a fun set.

That said, itís already tough to swallow what people are asking for a JM stamped 1894c. Want a second one, but I tend to be a cheap bastard.

I own a couple of 327's. That is absolute hot rod of a caliber. Really hard to find nowadays, but, a real fire breather.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don’t own the caliber, but I’d be really interested in an 1894 in .327 Federal Mag, and a Vaquero in the same. It would be a fun set.
Same here brother. I've had a box of Federal. 327 ammo sitting around for 8 years.

Henry has a/some in .327 but no side loaders yet.

MLC, First 3
Old 09-14-2021, 2:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Same here brother. I've had a box of Federal. 327 ammo sitting around for 8 years.

Yeah, you're right Mark. Only in tube feeders. I'll be.

MLC
Old 09-14-2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:

Iíve had other levers, and Iím honestly not interested. My 1894c is by far my favorite gun. I should have picked up more when they were cheaper. My dream is that my cousin will sell me his 1894CB. Everyone will be mad, but Iíve been dying to cut that fat octagon barrel back to 16Ē.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Yeah, you're right Mark. Only in tube feeders. I'll be.

MLC
What's going on my friend?

I talked to Chris yesterday. He said he was going to put us up in his new trailer and he would sleep in the back of his truck.

Be ready, the weather, she is a changing.

MLC, First 3
Old 09-14-2021, 11:15 PM

I'm looking forward to 1895SBL's showing up on store shelves again. There's a real feral T-Rex problem in socal.

WTB: Savage 99 SN#507612 (buying back grandpa's rifle)
Old 09-15-2021, 6:42 AM

Quote:

Iíve had other levers, and Iím honestly not interested. My 1894c is by far my favorite gun. I should have picked up more when they were cheaper. My dream is that my cousin will sell me his 1894CB. Everyone will be mad, but Iíve been dying to cut that fat octagon barrel back to 16Ē.

Dammit, man. I like your style!

Quote:

I talked to Chris yesterday. He said he was going to put us up in his new trailer and he would sleep in the back of his truck.

lmao. I didn't, but, hey. Anything to get back out there with you guys! and our levers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronW View Post

I'm looking forward to 1895SBL's showing up on store shelves again. There's a real feral T-Rex problem in socal.

Yee HAW! That's right. Best have one or two SBLs standing by!

One may never be too prepared.

"The primary purpose of a rifle is a first-shot hit, whether the target is game or a human antagonist. Semi-automatic fire does not assure this. As a matter of fact it sometimes detracts from it by letting the shooter believe that if he misses with his first shot he can always make up with a second. This is a bad attitude for a rifleman." - Jeff Cooper, 1984

Old 09-15-2021, 7:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What's going on my friend?

Going out to Apple Valley in Nov to another friend's house, but, thinking we[MLC] can get out to the desert before that. Hopefully!

MLC
Old 09-15-2021, 7:13 AM

Well before November, amigo! and perhaps by the end of the month even if for one last-minute morning. My little sleeper/galley trailer isn't near finished, though.

Old 09-16-2021, 2:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
That is only an opinion.

While the Henry is improving for sure, I'd still rather own and shoot a properly-made Marlin, of which examples do exist. Where they do not they may be put right in most cases.

With Ruger now manufacturing Marlin lever rifles and carbines, we can be somewhat certain of a return of the quality-made Marlin.

Just mho.
I agree that I'm hopeful Ruger returns to the quality of JM Marlins. Two of my three Marlins were JM (a 336 and an 1895) and you could definitely tell they had that old-world build quality to them.