Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2021, 4:08 PM

Default Clarification of new 1 in 30 law?

Could someone please help me understand the new rifle 1 in 30??

It is my understanding (please correct if wrong) that it goes into effect 1 July 2021, and applies to center fire semi auto rifles only?

Still no limit on bolt action, for example

I have the impression that face to face private party transactions are exempt and don't count toward the 1 in 30???

So in summary each person is allowed one dealer CF Semiauto application per 30 days, but still unlimited bolt-lever-rimfire-etc applications, and unlimited private party applications.

And for holders of FFL03 all these rules are off, even for non C and R guns?

Did I get this right?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2021, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Civilization is four missed meals unwiped po0ps away from anarchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 06-09-2021, 4:48 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh1951 View Post
Could someone please help me understand the new rifle 1 in 30??

It is my understanding (please correct if wrong) that it goes into effect 1 July 2021, and applies to center fire semi auto rifles only?

Still no limit on bolt action, for example

I have the impression that face to face private party transactions are exempt and don't count toward the 1 in 30???

So in summary each person is allowed one dealer CF Semiauto application per 30 days, but still unlimited bolt-lever-rimfire-etc applications, and unlimited private party applications.

And for holders of FFL03 all these rules are off, even for non C and R guns?

Did I get this right?

Thanks!
Starting 07-01-2021, the 1 in 30 day wait will apply to handguns and semi-auto centerfire rifles. [PC 27535(a)]

Firearms being transferred via PPT are exempt from the 1 in 30 day wait. [PC 27535(b)(8)]

A CA resident with a valid C&R 03-FFL and valid COE is exempt from the 1 in 30 day wait, regardless of the type of firearm it is. [PC 27535(b)(9)]

Summary:
1. A person is allowed one DROS application of a handgun or a semi-auto centerfire rifle from a dealer transfer within a 30 day period.
2. This does not apply to shotguns, rimfire rifles, manually operated (bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action) centerfire rifles, and single-shot centerfire rifles.
3. This does not apply to the in-person private party transfer between CA residents that is being facilitated by a dealer.
4. This does not apply to a person with a valid C&R 03-FFL and valid COE.

Penal Code 27535
(a) A person shall not make an application to purchase more than one handgun or semiautomatic centerfire rifle within any 30-day period. This subdivision does not authorize a person to make an application to purchase both a handgun and semiautomatic centerfire rifle within the same 30-day period.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(1) Any law enforcement agency.
(2) Any agency duly authorized to perform law enforcement duties.
(3) Any state or local correctional facility.
(4) Any private security company licensed to do business in California.
(5) Any person who is properly identified as a full-time paid peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, and who is authorized to, and does carry a firearm during the course and scope of employment as a peace officer.
(6) Any motion picture, television, or video production company or entertainment or theatrical company whose production by its nature involves the use of a firearm.
(7) Any person who may, pursuant to Article 2 (commencing with Section 27600), Article 3 (commencing with Section 27650), or Article 4 (commencing with Section 27700), claim an exemption from the waiting period set forth in Section 27540.
(8) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 28050).
(9) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, and has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) of Chapter 2.
(10) The exchange of a handgun or semiautomatic centerfire rifle where the dealer purchased that firearm from the person seeking the exchange within the 30-day period immediately preceding the date of exchange or replacement.
(11) The replacement of a handgun or semiautomatic centerfire rifle when the person’s firearm was lost or stolen, and the person reported that firearm lost or stolen pursuant to Section 25250 prior to the completion of the application to purchase the replacement.
(12) The return of any handgun or semiautomatic centerfire rifle to its owner.
(13) A community college that is certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training to present the law enforcement academy basic course or other commission-certified law enforcement training.
(c) This section shall become operative on July 1, 2021.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 06-09-2021 at 4:53 PM..
Old 06-09-2021, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just to clarify:

Unlimited PPT purchases, but sales will be limited to 5 transactions per year, max. of 50 firearms per year.

Last edited by Garv; 06-09-2021 at 5:51 PM.. Reason: fixed, thx Quiet
Old 06-09-2021, 4:57 PM

Thank you guys!!!

I guess that means they prefer massive PPT transfers since we are allowed 50 guns but only in 5 transactions per year

But with a dealer only single transfers...

Bimbos....
Old 06-09-2021, 4:59 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Just to clarify:

Unlimited PPT purchases, but sales will be limited to 5 transactions (current is just handguns) per year, max. of 50 firearms per year.
In regards to the limits on sales/transfer of ownerships, they apply to all firearms transfers.

In 2019, the laws were amended from handguns to firearms and starting 01-01-2020, the limits applied to all firearms.

Penal Code 16730
(a) As used in Section 31815 and in Division 6 (commencing with Section 26500) of Title 4, “infrequent” means both of the following are true:
(1) The person conducts less than six transactions per calendar year.
(2) The person sells, leases, or transfers no more than 50 total firearms per calendar year.
(b) As used in this section, “transaction” means a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of firearms.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-10-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
In regards to the limits on sales/transfer of ownerships, they apply to all firearms transfers.

In 2019, the laws were amended from handguns to firearms and starting 01-01-2020, the limits applied to all firearms.

Penal Code 16730
(a) As used in Section 31815 and in Division 6 (commencing with Section 26500) of Title 4, “infrequent” means both of the following are true:
(1) The person conducts less than six transactions per calendar year.
(2) The person sells, leases, or transfers no more than 50 total firearms per calendar year.
(b) As used in this section, “transaction” means a single sale, lease, or transfer of any number of firearms.
Does a C&R and a COE exempt you from the 5 transactions per year? I saw someone had posted that recently, and I was not aware of that if it is correct.
Old 06-10-2021, 2:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
Does a C&R and a COE exempt you from the 5 transactions per year? I saw someone had posted that recently, and I was not aware of that if it is correct.
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 06-10-2021, 2:49 PM

Question about the 1 in 30... is that one handgun each 30-day period and one semi-auto rifle each 30-day period OR is that only one handgun or semi-auto rifle in a 30-day period?

Or in other words, does each have their own 30-day waiting period or are they lumped together?
Old 06-10-2021, 3:06 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
Question about the 1 in 30... is that one handgun each 30-day period and one semi-auto rifle each 30-day period OR is that only one handgun or semi-auto rifle in a 30-day period?

Or in other words, does each have their own 30-day waiting period or are they lumped together?
One or the other gun, not one of each.

As posted in the thread already -
Quote:
Penal Code 27535
(a) A person shall not make an application to purchase more than one handgun or semiautomatic centerfire rifle within any 30-day period.

This subdivision does not authorize a person to make an application to purchase both a handgun and semiautomatic centerfire rifle within the same 30-day period.
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Consider Samizdat; consider some reading material, such as this and that.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-10-2021, 7:53 PM

I don’t see any mention of receivers in the verbiage.

I know they are not affected by the 1 in 30, but is there any limitations on DROSing receivers with a rifle or pistol?

Old 06-10-2021, 8:24 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
I don’t see any mention of receivers in the verbiage.

I know they are not affected by the 1 in 30, but is there any limitations on DROSing receivers with a rifle or pistol?
AFAIK...
If the receiver is DROS'd as a "pistol" or "pistol, receiver" or "rifle, semi-auto" or "rifle, semi-auto, receiver"; then the DROS system can reject it as a 1 in 30 day violation.