Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-15-2019, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
And Texas has no gun signs. I believe they carry legal weight.

And open carry too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly, i’m seeing more and more of these signs in Texas when I travel their for work. A lot of hotels are putting them up too. What ticks me off is they don’t list that info anywhere when booking, then you show up and are SOL...
Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faris1984 View Post
So what happens if you carry there? illegal? I guess not, they can't take your rights, just like uber/left to say no carry and I carry and was stopped b4.

What county is your IA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 11:53 AM

At ACME in Berkeley, the line is always down the parking lot to the street on Sundays. It's pretty good. Definitely better than Boudin (which I honestly think sucks as bad as Pier 39 and the other tourist crap that caters to the tasteless masses).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
I'm torn. Living in the south bay, Whole Foods is the only place to get real school, old fashioned sour dough bread- the stuff you had as a kid. Not the homogenized generic crap every grocery store sells nowadays. That pronounced sour tang, real chewy crust, that's just right in its crispy outer shell- Acme Bread.

I'll likely still go for it- a guy's got to do what a guy's got to do...living on the edge baby.
Old 05-15-2019, 1:17 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Yes, they do.

TX also specifies exactly what must be on the signs and specifies things like placement/visibility; the ones you posted follow the rules.

https://www.uslawshield.com/carrying...7-sign-beware/ - it's generally a $200 fine misdemeanor to ignore those signs, but Some Places Are Special.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-15-2019, 1:29 PM

They can post and I can choose not to enter or buy there. It is that simple. I don't need anything they have. Now if I did want to enter, I would as I'm property licensed per my County.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:48 AM

I carried at the Whole Foods in Fremont last Sunday. My wife laughed that I was probably the only person there with a gun.
Old 05-16-2019, 3:34 PM

Someone who carries concealed, should not give anybody any evidence that he's carrying. So if you are inside the Whole Foods store and carry as usual, neither an employee nor a customer should be able to detect that with any degree of certainty. A trained person may wonder, but it takes a great deal more to scream "gun!" inside a store.

Thus, *me thinks* that these signs were written by lawyers to reduce liability issues. Not even a year ago, a criminal on the run drove straight to a Trader Joe's store in Los Angeles and one of the managers got shot (don't remember by whom) in the following shootout with police. Now imagine you have a similar situation in Whole Foods, and a customer draws the gun in self-defense and shoots somebody else inside the store. It doesn't take great imagination on how many attorneys will approach the surviving spouse or family member and suggest a multi-million dollar law suit. They know that Jeff Bozo has deep pockets. In such a case, it *may* help the army of Whole Foods legal team to point out that they explicitly prohibit firearms inside their store and since they have no *right* to search customers, they can't be held responsible for that person's injury or passing. That's it. Money, money, money, like everything else in life.
Old 05-16-2019, 3:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
Someone who carries concealed, should not give anybody any evidence that he's carrying. So if you are inside the Whole Foods store and carry as usual, neither an employee nor a customer should be able to detect that with any degree of certainty. A trained person may wonder, but it takes a great deal more to scream "gun!" inside a store.

Thus, *me thinks* that these signs were written by lawyers to reduce liability issues. Not even a year ago, a criminal on the run drove straight to a Trader Joe's store in Los Angeles and one of the managers got shot (don't remember by whom) in the following shootout with police. Now imagine you have a similar situation in Whole Foods, and a customer draws the gun in self-defense and shoots somebody else inside the store. It doesn't take great imagination on how many attorneys will approach the surviving spouse or family member and suggest a multi-million dollar law suit. They know that Jeff Bozo has deep pockets. In such a case, it *may* help the army of Whole Foods legal team to point out that they explicitly prohibit firearms inside their store and since they have no *right* to search customers, they can't be held responsible for that person's injury or passing. That's it. Money, money, money, like everything else in life.
Dude. You. Are. So. Wrong.

Not everything is about money, money, money. For everything else there's bacon!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-16-2019, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Dude. You. Are. So. Wrong.

Not everything is about money, money, money. For everything else there's bacon!
But....

If you have bacon and no money, you will be happy for a short time.

If you have money and no bacon, you can buy bacon.
Old 05-16-2019, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Wrong.
I’ll assume you meant federal buildings and government buildings in general (state and local as well), not just federal government buildings. That leaves —just off the top of my head specific to my county but applicable to any licensee from any county, including OC:

Sacramento County regional parks
City of Sacramento parks
Cosumnes CSD parks
Sacramento Regional Wastewater buffer lands

Your county may also have such laws, and any signs posted at those places would very definitely mean something to you whether you want them to or not.
You assume correctly..

A sign at a Starbucks or Whole Foods or other business means nothing..

Court houses, govt buildings, etc.. the signs matter.

But the ones at businesses are to be ignored..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 05-16-2019, 8:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I was using GFZ in a non-technical sense, like the "This Home is a Gun-Free Zone!" signs your liberal neighbors have in their front yards. (If they won't do that, you can put a "My Liberal Neighbors are Unarmed" sign up in your front yard. )

My reply was in regard to those saying the only consequences will be getting asked to leave. I showed how easily LE could become involved and that will require you to inform your IA of the incident and when they find out you carried against a restriction on your CCW (not to carry in GFZs, whether private or public), you will likely lose your "privilege"/permit to CC.
Ahh..

I could get the cops called on my anywhere.. there's no restriction on my permit about carrying in a Starbucks, no matter how many silly signs they put up.

Now carrying in a GFZ isn't illegal either.. I just, thanks to the recent stupid law, can't carry ON the school property.. but I can carry in the GFZ.

There are specific places on my permit that I can't carry.. govt buildings.. state deals.. bars.. etc

If I carry in a Whole Foods and they see I'm carrying (which means I screwed up) then the most they can do is ask me to leave and if I don't it's a trespass.

In some states the silly little signs in establishments hold legal weight, not in CA.. go figure.

Quote:
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Old 05-16-2019, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
But....

If you have bacon and no money, you will be happy for a short time.

If you have money and no bacon, you can buy bacon.
Ah yes. I know this all too well. The bacon conundrum. Use your money wisely the old man said. Spend it all on bacon, you will soon have no more to spend to buy the bacon.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Sign means nothing unless it'a s federal/govt building..

I laugh at those silly little signs..
Not sure about your IA, but back in the day, my Nevada permit required that I obey posted signs. The catch was that I had to be posted at all public entrances, but if it was, then disobeying the posted sign was a good way to lose your CCW.
Old 05-17-2019, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Ah yes. I know this all too well. The bacon conundrum. Use your money wisely the old man said. Spend it all on bacon, you will soon have no more to spend to buy the bacon.
Spend a portion on a boy and girl pig. You will have bacon. All else will take care of itself.
Old 05-17-2019, 7:18 AM

Quote:
If I carry in a Whole Foods and they see I'm carrying (which means I screwed up) then the most they can do is ask me to leave and if I don't it's a trespass.
Some folks have suggested that the signage is the first warning, and LEOs get called immediately. Others have asserted that the issue may be moot under the provisions of CA PEN 602.1 (Trespassing)
Quote:
(d) This section shall not apply to any of the following persons:
[...]
(2) Any person on the premises who is engaging in activities protected by the California Constitution or the United States Constitution.
But, I don’t see a line of folks in front of the “Test Case Wanted” window.
Quote:
In some states the silly little signs in establishments hold legal weight, not in CA.. go figure.
Some states centrally manage CCW licensure. That allows the state to make overriding conditions of use. CA distributes licensing to local LEO, so consistency of application varies.
Old 05-18-2019, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Some folks have suggested that the signage is the first warning, and LEOs get called immediately. Others have asserted that the issue may be moot under the provisions of CA PEN 602.1 (Trespassing)
Some folks are wrong.. but that's ok.. I will continue to carry where the stipulations of my permit allows and not based on silly "hopey changy" signs that I may or may not even notice.

Quote:
Old 05-18-2019, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post

The Trader Joe's Manager was shot & killed by an idiotic police officer who sprayed bullets into the crowded store's entrance.
Old 05-18-2019, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
New since last week - Whole Foods in Napa posted signage at both doors

No Firearms on Premises.

I deleted my discount app and will avoid this place as I never want to be in a killing zone. Good luck to all the lefty shoppers.
I'm in the same camp. I don't care what they sell, if a business wants to infringe on my right to protect myself and my family, then I don't need to give them my money. There are too many other gun-friendly establishments for me to bother spending any money with those that aren't.

When I lived in California, I avoided anti-gun businesses on principle. Safeway being the main one I remember. Now that I'm here in Tx, I avoid them on principle and because signs carry legal weight.
Old 05-18-2019, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Op

Take a picture of the sign

Use the same font
Make a new sign that looks the same
Robbery free zone
Shoplifting free zone

Add it under the gun free zone sign

No one will realize it is a parody and the sign might stay up for a year or three

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 05-20-2019, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

if you are ccw-ing right, how would they know?
what about undercover or off duty police officers? do they disarm do to a invalid sign? and if a leo can carry there, how would they know your not a cop?
Old 05-20-2019, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

under d-2 then you are very much within your rights to be there while armed.https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=602.1.
Old 05-20-2019, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Tanks,

Some issuing authorities (Sacramento) prohibit carrying if any business/place has a sign prohibiting guns. So it may not be against State law but you could potentially lose your LTC because of it.
Yep
https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org...PROCEDURES.pdf
Old 05-20-2019, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
The Trader Joe's Manager was shot & killed by an idiotic police officer who sprayed bullets into the crowded store's entrance.
The idiot manager ran outside in to the direction of the officer firing.
Old 05-21-2019, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

With all the anti-gun bills getting brought up through the CA Assembly and Senate I am really surprised that some legislator has not proposed a similar law here in CA in regards to CCW permit holders.
Old 05-21-2019, 6:54 AM

I guess Whole Foods has discovered the solution to the random terrorist attacks. (A bigger sign) Don't you feel safer already?
Old 05-21-2019, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
With all the anti-gun bills getting brought up through the CA Assembly and Senate I am really surprised that some legislator has not proposed a similar law here in CA in regards to CCW permit holders.
Their goal is simpler; one sign for all of CA which says, “No Guns”.
Old 05-21-2019, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Their goal is simpler; one sign for all of CA which says, “No Guns”.
How about making it even more encompassing and more relevant, like "No Crime Zone"? Maybe they could make that the law for the whole state. Isn't that a GREAT idea???

Old 05-21-2019, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Sign means nothing unless it'a s federal/govt building..

I laugh at those silly little signs..
You're lucky you're not in Sac county. On the good side, they're shall issue. Bad side, those signs DO have meaning, and getting caught with a gun there will likely result in your permit being pulled. Concealed is concealed, but is it worth the chance?

My Car Projects

Lateral-G.Net

Last edited by camcojb; 05-21-2019 at 9:52 AM..
Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
How about making it even more encompassing and more relevant, like "No Crime Zone"? Maybe they could make that the law for the whole state. Isn't that a GREAT idea???

Probably discriminatory, as it would adversely impact a societal group's chosen means of gainful employment.
Old 05-22-2019, 4:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
New since last week - Whole Foods in Napa posted signage at both doors

No Firearms on Premises.
Does that mean they are no longer on aisle 6? Or are they out temporarily?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingShooter View Post
Sadly, i’m seeing more and more of these signs in Texas when I travel their for work. A lot of hotels are putting them up too. What ticks me off is they don’t list that info anywhere when booking, then you show up and are SOL...
IIRC, your hotel room is considered your domicile so you're good at least in and to/from your room. The hotel restaurant is probably a different story. We visited SAT a few years back and my wife wanted to eat at a hotel restaurant on the River Walk. They had a sign so, as I was carrying (I have a NV CCW; took me 7 days from mailing the form until I had the permit) I refused to eat there. I did ignore some AZ signs as their placement was in such a way that I could easily claim I didn't see it. Like the lower right of a window far from the entrance.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

No firearms on premises? Dang...

So you can still shoot into the store from across the street, right?
Old 05-26-2019, 9:37 AM

Do I ever look at any or all of the signs posted outside businesses?
No.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:21 PM

I don’t have that problem, since I’m married wife grocery shops.
Old 06-27-2019, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Who cares? Signage is not law in CA.
Old 06-29-2019, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Tanks,

Some issuing authorities (Sacramento) prohibit carrying if any business/place has a sign prohibiting guns. So it may not be against State law but you could potentially lose your LTC because of it.

^^^^This......my county has the same clause. Just bcuz one county doesnt state it doesnt mean others are all the same. Listen before spouting out something u got no clue of. This is kommifornia not a Free State

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 06-30-2019, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... to tell them you carried in a GFZ despite signage, and you lose your CCW....
My IA does not require me to obey signs by private businesses. So, I wouldn't lose my CCW. But as pointed out on some other posts other IAs seem to neuter their CCW holders, so YMMW.