Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default Best Protective Case for Smartphone?

Just bought a pristine used Galaxy S7 and want to get a good case to protect against drops. What manufacturer/model would those with experience recommend or not?
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 05-16-2019, 12:30 PM

Otterbox Defender
or
Rokform Rugged
?The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not a ?second-class right,? subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.? ?.. "We know of no other constitutional rights that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need."
- Justice Clarence Thomas
Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Otterbox, I have had it on my S4 now for quite a few years. The snap for the case broke just from use but it protected my phone just fine.

Then again I don't drop it in the toilet like my daughter
Old 05-16-2019, 1:08 PM

Otterbox is the way to go. Check Ebay.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 05-16-2019, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Even the cheaper chinese copies are good. I think its just as important to have a case that gives you a secure grip so you don't drop it.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 05-16-2019, 1:21 PM

I use otter box as well
Old 05-16-2019, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well, found a Lady on FB Marketplace selling a couple of new, old stock, supposedly genuine Otterbox Defender S7 cases for cheap. Crossed my fingers and sent her $18 via PP for the two shipped via Priority Mail. She said she got them in a Amazon Auction lot of six Otterbox cases and she was selling everything except the three that fit her families iphones.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 05-17-2019, 9:06 PM

LifeProof makes some great cases too. They have saved our Iphones several times from accidental dunkings in hot tub, drops onto pavement from ladder, etc. They also allow my wife who is a RN to clean her phone as necessary in hospital environment.
Old 05-17-2019, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Tracking shows my cases arriving tomorrow - will post up when I check them out.
Quote:
Old 05-20-2019, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Received the two Otterbox Defender cases and they are indeed the real thing. Sweet deal @ $9 each!
Quote:
Old 05-22-2019, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Otterbox is the defacto, but was terrible on the touchscreen, and didn't sit against it on my V20, always had a bubble/lift of the firm causing a glare addition.

I have been using China-cases for years, and at $4-$12, I always buy multiple when needed, but this has caused an issue as I keep finding cases for old phones...
Old 05-22-2019, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

I had read a few negative reviews about poor touch screen sensitivity but my S7 with the Defender case has no issues there. The plastic screen protector seems prone to scratches. I guess if it gets too bad, one could cut it out with a exacto knife and just use a tempered glass protector. Case definitely adds some bulk but should do a good job protecting the phones glass front/back.
Quote:
Old 05-22-2019, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
I had read a few negative reviews about poor touch screen sensitivity but my S7 with the Defender case has no issues there. The plastic screen protector seems prone to scratches. I guess if it gets too bad, one could cut it out with a exacto knife and just use a tempered glass protector. Case definitely adds some bulk but should do a good job protecting the phones glass front/back.
I have the Defender on my S4. No issues with the screen sensitivity. For the few bucks I paid for it on Ebay it does a heck of a job.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 06-26-2019, 7:55 PM

How's is the Otterbox holding up? I have the same phone and need a new case. My LifeProof has served me well but it has become really beat up. It did survive getting run over by a car.

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 06-26-2019, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Send me $30 and give me 5 days and I'll send it to you.
Old 06-26-2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
How's is the Otterbox holding up? I have the same phone and need a new case. My LifeProof has served me well but it has become really beat up. It did survive getting run over by a car.
My Otterbox from Ebay for a few bucks has held up real well on my Samsung for the last 2½ years. Dropped it more than once and nothing happened to the phone.

― Mark Twain
Old 06-26-2019, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
If you're addressing me, the Otterbox is working out great on my S7. Screen sensitivity is great as are build/level of protection. If you also have a S7, I'd be open to selling my extra Otterbox S7 case as I can't see I'll be needing it. PM if interested.
Quote:
Old 06-26-2019, 9:01 PM

Had an otter box on an old old iPhone. Too big and clunky. The rubber around the plastic case stretched.
Lifeproof on an iPhone 6. It was ok, but the sift wire through pretty quick. Especially for what it cost.

Now I have a Rokform case for my 7 plus. Love it. Still looks new. The magnet on the back is invaluable, used everyday constantly. Phone is dropped and thrown daily by my 2 year old. Case does it’s job great. I need a new glass screen protector, but that’s not part of the case. Also a cheap replacement.

All future phones will have rokform cases.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 AM

otterbox gets my vote as well...had one on my galaxy s5 for many years, no cracks or cracked screen. plastic screen protector is a bit scratched, but no sensitivity issues. rubber finally starting to peel, and broke across the thin part at the bottom this year. want to say i bought it in 2013 (and it's on its 2nd battery).
Old 06-27-2019, 12:35 AM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Speck case with a good screen protector FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858