Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 05-15-2022, 6:03 PM

Default short backpacking trip in Yosemite

I am planning a short, three days two nights, backpacking trip in Yosemite with kids in June. Can anybody recommend places to visit and routes to go or where to look for information? Kids are teens. My last backpacking was many years ago, so I feel a bit out of date in regard to backpacking.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:37 PM

Oh gosh 18 years ago summer of 2004 I believe, took the kids and nephews they were in their late teens then, 3-day 2 nights backpacking trip to Yosemite, the staff at REI recommended this route and it turned out to be a hidden gem! Have to dig out my notebook and maps, but from memory and confirmed with Google maps just now roughly our route:

We got to the trailhead around noon

- Start: park your car at "Ten Lakes Trailhead" off hwy 120, about an hour drive from West entrance
- Hike south towards the valley, the trail roughly follows along and crosses the Yosemite Creek, we had to wade through the water at one point, and that was the most exciting part of the experience.
- Pass Yosemite Creek Campground
- We made camp near the creek about 4 hours into the hike, thought better to be near water, but watch out for those Mosquitoes!
- Next day our destination is the top of the Yosemite Falls
- What a view of the entire valley, appreciate how high from our vantage point!
- The kids were having a blast so we hiked to Eagle Peak
- Return hike same route as we came, don't remember where we camped second night.

I wouldn't say the route was easy, twin hiking poles are a must. Bring water filters, water source is plenty. Love to take the grandkids there some day but my back is well past that kind of fun.
Old 05-18-2022, 3:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You will need reservations to visit Yosemite.
Old 05-19-2022, 7:07 PM

Thanks guys. I checked Yosemite park options. Yosemite Creek Campground is closed until July per the website information. Camps in the park area are all reserved ahead of time. I guess I will search for alternative routes.
Old 06-21-2022, 5:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Little Yosemite Valley. It's easy, except for getting permits.

Day 1 you hike into the backpackers camp.
Day 2 you get up with the sun and summit Half Dome. In the afternoon you walk across the valley to just before bunnel falls and ride the water slides.
Day 3 you walk out.

I've done this as early as and earlier than 14 years old. I was scrawny back then. I still am, but could do it well as a youth.

Good luck planning Yosemite with a month of runway these days tho
Old 06-21-2022, 5:43 AM
Banned

Half Dome?
Old 06-22-2022, 1:37 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Half dome: The 2nd half there is no water. After passing little Yosemite campgrounds, there is only one more water source. On the right hand side of trail and very easy to miss, a tiny spring.

Key to Yosemite: mosquito dope! And moleskin and hydrocortisone if you aren't used to walking long hours (blisters). Sun glasses and sunscreen (because of the high altitude sun). And as always, toilet paper, just in case.
Old 06-23-2022, 9:49 AM

Not Yosemite, but I like backpacking to Emigrant Lake, behind Kirkwood ski resort. Part of Mokelumne Wilderness Areas. Great hike for kids; was my first backpacking trip back in '75. Was my son's second trip.

There's a bunch of cool backpacking in that Highway-88/Kirkwood/Carson Pass area.
Old 06-24-2022, 5:24 AM
Calguns Addict

This looks excellent for my 7 and 10 year old. Maybe next year.

Also, looks maybe excellent for me. Solid backpacker, but never winter camped (like, on snow).

Does this look like a good trek for adults to make in December to teach themselves snowshoeing and snow backpacking?
Old 06-24-2022, 5:58 AM
Banned

Stay just outside the park. take a day trip into the park.

I like the Saddleback campground off Hwy 120. Lake Ellery is another great place to camp and backpack.
Old 06-24-2022, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
I am planning a short, three days two nights, backpacking trip in Yosemite with kids in June. Can anybody recommend places to visit and routes to go or where to look for information? Kids are teens. My last backpacking was many years ago, so I feel a bit out of date in regard to backpacking.
Clouds Rest, the North Dome Trail, if really ambitious Valley floor to the top of Yosemite Falls