Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, I've reached the age of my life where it's time to sell-off a few things---guns being some of them (I have too many)---things are going well on the CalGuns want-to-sell section---buyers have been nice and respectful---I'm doing my part by pricing things in the new higher values, but not crazy super high like I'm seeing in some ads---I'm actually amazed at some of the prices I'm seeing, but I guess it's just a reflection of our crazy times! But then I've always found the buyers on CaGuns to be good and reliable...
Old 09-16-2020, 12:27 AM

From another angle,

Why not we all agree to drop the question "is it still available?" Personally I hate the question and if that is all I get from the person, especially when I have stated in the ad to NOT ask that because the presence of the ad speaks for its availability, I wont answer or if im feeling snarky, my reply will reflect that. I have ads running for various things and thats all I get (is it still available) and i answer and never hear from the buyer again.

A lot of people dont want to buy but love to shop. Asking availability makes them feel like they are making progress without sticking their neck out at all, including the time it takes to say something real. Sellers know this and dont want to waste time.

Drop the question and say something else---permanently.
"Hi, I see you have a Kitchen Aid mixer for sale and im very interested. Its in the range of my budget and I like the color. I dont see attachments in the photo, are any included or would I have to pick them up on my own?"

Me, I would respond right away to that. I know what you are thinking, that you dont want to write all that if its already been sold but therein lies one of the problems about non-replies. So, sorry, you have to put the effort and if he writes back and says, "oh its sold, thanks for reminding me to drop the ad," well thats life.

To me, asking availability is the shortcut to a lack of reply, creating an annoyance and even possibly making an enemy. Time to change tactics.

You can be real and also make an enemy. Here is the shortcut:
"Hi, im really interested in your pistol, ive been searching for one for quite a while and yours looks great. Thing is, ive gotten to know the prices and i went to this site where there was one like yours except that it was way cheaper and then I went on a forum and everyone voted that your price is waaaay out of line, a ridiculous price, so are you ready to talk reality or what?" You know what, you better pray i dont reply to that.

There are many ways to approach a seller, including ways to persuade the seller to see your point of view. Learn some! The bottom line involves the premise of the OP. No legit complaint against, or response to, can be made to the question,"is it available?" A better way for progress is to just restate the problem: "How can I improve salesmanship and marketing skills as a buyer or seller?" Now its a worthwhile topic to get at whats ailing it.

Last thing, to answer the second OP question, if you wrote a good note and there was no reply, give it 10 days and nudge. "Hi, i know you might be busy, did you have a chance to see my first enquiry about the pistol? Im still interested and happy to talk to you about it whenever you are free. If its easier for you to call, my number is 823-350-9037. Thanks." If no reply to that, drop it, there is no need to be an aggressive pest. After all, many times the seller isnt selling anything, just testing the market for number of enquiries and price sensitivity. And dont start with, "well thats not fair!" Just dont.
Old 09-16-2020, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post

Why not we all agree to drop the question "is it still available?" Personally I hate the question and if that is all I get from the person, especially when I have stated in the ad to NOT ask that because the presence of the ad speaks for its availability, I wont answer or if im feeling snarky, my reply will reflect that. I have ads running for various things and thats all I get (is it still available) and i answer and never hear from the buyer again.
t.

LOL.....agree

The laughable Marketplace in-thread responses:

— “Is it available?“
— “Interested”
— “Are you firm on price?”
— “What is your best price?”

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 09-16-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
How so?

Do expound, good Sir.
Spend some time on the Equipment Exchange on ar15.com or the falfiles.com

It should be clear to you in not more than a few minutes.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 09-16-2020, 8:15 AM

I have never bought anything off this site or sold anything for that matter. I do sell buy and stuff online all the time and nothing turns me off more than someone responding to my very detailed ad with only "still got it", or "whats your bottom price", or "what are the known issues". The ad gives all that info.

When I respond to an add I put in some effort....."Hello, my name is Earl, I'm interested in your item............I can meet you.........you can reach me at XXX"

I always respond to ads with the tone that the item is still available and I want it. If the item has been sold the poster will respond back with it's sold or not respond back at all.

When I am selling an item I never answer back those folks that cannot form complete sentences. I have an item for sale right now and I have ignored four messages asking "still got it?", "what are the issues with it?", etc. The ad states everything they need to know and their questions are answered in the ad.
One guy followed directions perfectly and wanted to come see the item. I called him to tell him where to meet me and he asks me if the item is a certain brand. The ad gives the brand and more......so, I tell him "no, it's XXX" and he responds back with "oh, I was hoping for XX brand and are you sure it's not an XX?........holy hell dude! the ad says it's XXX do you want me to paint XX on it and sell it to you? I wasted three days with that guy between emails, texts and phone calls.....and he did everything right up until I realized he has no reading comprehension.

I had a bunch of stuff listed inline for free, big stuff, a full pickup worth of stuff. I had a lady call me and say she wanted it all and that we come by to get it. I agreed and she then said "ill be in a blue convertible Mustang can you help me load it?" I said" your going to put all this into a car?" she said yes. I told her not to bother coming as I'm not loading a 200 pound radial arm saw, mirrored closet doors, and everything else into a car.....

People are stupid and you have to weed them out. If you want a response make an effort, your not texting you buddy asking what's up.... Sup?

Last edited by boattail; 09-16-2020 at 8:21 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 10:01 AM

"Is this still available?" is a garbage message especially if something was JUST listed. I get that all the time on Facebook marketplace minutes after posting something. I ignore them.

Like everyone else is saying, messages should be specific, with contact info and not be a hassle for the approached person.
Old 09-16-2020, 2:48 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansh88 View Post
"Is this still available?" is a garbage message especially if something was JUST listed. I get that all the time on Facebook marketplace minutes after posting something. I ignore them.

Like everyone else is saying, messages should be specific, with contact info and not be a hassle for the approached person.
I think on Facebook marketplace, Facebook is the one that is actually generating those 'still available?' messages. Potential buyers can click a button or something to signify interest and then Facebook generates that stupid message to the seller.

The first time I ever listed something and it started happening to me I was blocking people left and right and then I figured out what was going on.

Old 09-16-2020, 2:56 PM

Well here are a couple of other gripes about sellers. The first is the seller that says their price is “FIRM” so don’t bother making offers. So I eventually find and buy the same gun for less from another seller only to see the original seller sell his gun for less than I would have offered. If you get annoyed when people make lower offers when you say you will only reply to full price offers, don’t get mad at them, get mad at all the other sellers that said they were FIRM but weren’t. They have set the standard that most sellers actually are not firm. I have also occasionally made a low or even the dreaded “low ball”offer on an ad that said make offer that I was not super motivated on, or in a hurry to acquire, and requested the seller to keep my offer in mind if his gun did not sell in the next month or two. Sure enough 30 days later I see it for sale or sold for less than my standing offer. Go figure.

Last edited by Like2fly; 09-16-2020 at 2:59 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 09-16-2020, 4:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Could be they have not turned on the ability to receive private messages.

You could post private message sent in the thread. That would alert them to look for messages.
CGN and NVS
Old 09-16-2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2fly View Post
Well here are a couple of other gripes about sellers. The first is the seller that says their price is “FIRM” so don’t bother making offers. So I eventually find and buy the same gun for less from another seller only to see the original seller sell his gun for less than I would have offered. If you get annoyed when people make lower offers when you say you will only reply to full price offers, don’t get mad at them, get mad at all the other sellers that said they were FIRM but weren’t. They have set the standard that most sellers actually are not firm. I have also occasionally made a low or even the dreaded “low ball”offer on an ad that said make offer that I was not super motivated on, or in a hurry to acquire, and requested the seller to keep my offer in mind if his gun did not sell in the next month or two. Sure enough 30 days later I see it for sale or sold for less than my standing offer. Go figure.

I agree
The guy still has not sold the guns and is still bumping the add.
For $50 less it would’ve been at the FFL waiting for me to pick up in 10 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsclimbs View Post
All he had to do, was to answer yes or no, I would have bought the guns with or without the discount.
His loss...prices will come down and stock will get replenished.
Maybe, next time, add Firm next to the price.
He actually, had to do nothing.

You answer was written in silence.

Not my style, but it sure is effective.

I bet a dollar to donuts that had you written back that you would pay asking you would have gotten a reply.

Toughen up buttercup.
It is a tough world, this is merely the shallow end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 09-16-2020, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I've done over 1000 transactions on this forum. My itrader don't show it.
First thing if you new member and you ask still available. Your looking for discount.
Been offered half price by new member's lot's of times.
Do you really think I'm going to respond to you?
Gave lots of new member's a chance and drove half way for them not to show up.
Not saying all new member's are flakes. But some are.
I only deal with new member's with good communication. They don't flake.
The gate swings both ways.
Old 09-16-2020, 9:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_1111@yahoo.com View Post
First thing if you new member and you ask still available. Your looking for discount.
It indeed does swing both ways.

You might sometime think of becoming a contributor here.

More irony than I expected on this thread.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 09-16-2020, 9:23 PM

Just to add one more for the OP, sometimes seller "strategically" chooses NOT to reply "your" questions. When it comes to $$ people can do weird things.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:10 PM
Calguns Addict

hanko,
Tried to be a contributor year's ago. Kes only took Pay Pal. Never had a paypal account.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah i was even here before my start date. When a guy named Ramon owned the forum.
Soft ware killed some account's.
Old 09-17-2020, 1:14 AM
Banned

Random suggestion- This week I bought and sold a pistol via Marketplace. Once you find your real buyer or seller, get a phone call in and introduce yourself. I also give some details about myself and find that it really smooths over the unsure sales hump. Be nice, honest, straight up and no BS and it really does help the person on the other end. Just a suggestion that works for me.
Old 09-17-2020, 5:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_1111@yahoo.com View Post
All good points. I’ve sold alot of guns and related material over the years on many sites. This place has to be the worst,IMO. Ignore List is your friend,Ihave about 50 people on it. Like the “death penalty “ it doeseliminate “second offenders”. Now when I get PMs with questions they are for the most part legitimate.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 09-17-2020, 7:24 AM

I've tried to buy a couple guns on here, and I've given up. It's serious enough purchasing a gun retail . . . it's dicey buying one on-line . . . but the action here is worse than craigslist or offer up! Major Forget-It !!!
Old 09-17-2020, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagunazrod View Post
I've tried to buy a couple guns on here, and I've given up. It's serious enough purchasing a gun retail . . . it's dicey buying one on-line . . . but the action here is worse than craigslist or offer up! Major Forget-It !!!

This is absurd. Deal with people who have good itrader ratings and the process is relatively easy. Agree on a price, time and FFL location and your done.

Old 09-17-2020, 2:30 PM

I am in a position to provide an opinion on this.
I have lurked here for years, because that whole time I just needed the info and insight Calguns was providing (usually to 2A/CA topics). I didn't need to buy things.

Now I need to buy things on the marketplace that are no longer available through traditional avenues, so I joined.
Some Calguns sellers have responded politely. Some Calguns sellers have ignored me. It's a free country and if they don't want to transact with me that's their right.
Even if I'm getting ignored by 50% of sellers until my rating improves, that's 50% more opportunity than I had by not joining and not being able to reach sellers that do interact with me. I see no real negative there...

I buy/sell on other websites where we don't have the benefit of a trader rating, and you learn to tell pretty quickly in the first message or two if someone is 1) serious and/or 2) an idiot.

"Seniority" on a forum is something else to discuss, probably not in this thread.
Old 09-17-2020, 5:29 PM

When deals are meant to happen they will happen. I wouldn’t put too much thought into the whole thing, I have found a few sellers that list things just so they can say it’s for sale to their spouse and others who like to test the waters to see if the stuff they have has value. And with all that’s going on these days I really don’t sweat a non reply. I have stuff for sale and I’ve gotten more than a few is it still avail messages. I reply and a few have never replied back. You never know these days. Keep shopping and look forward to meeting other calgunners. I have met some really nice guys here due to buying and selling.
Old 09-17-2020, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And to thnink you have been here since way back in July 2020.

Well, I gues you have this place figured then.

Never mind those such as I with many solid transactions.
i have only had one problem here and it was a small issue, but a bit of a pain.
All in all, I find the site pretty solid with lots of activity v. other sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 09-17-2020, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Hmmmm, I’ve bought/sold about 40 guns on Calguns and have had *maybe* two “inconvenient” transactions. Most everybody in my ~90 overall transactions have been straight up good guys.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 09-18-2020, 6:22 AM

Default Marketplace Smartekplace

Calguns of a few years past is just that, past. Get used to it.

Newbies whose biggest previous transactions were at pavilions or Home Depot
are tiring.

Newbies with no posts or no itraders are exasperating.

Even established members are getting snarky.

That being said you gotta kiss alot of frogs to find the prince/princess.

Last edited by HYPURR; 09-18-2020 at 6:26 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR View Post
Calguns of a few years past is just that, past. Get used to it.

Newbies whose biggest previous transactions were at pavilions or Home Depot
are tiring.

Newbies with no posts or no itraders are exasperating.

Even established members are getting snarky.

That being said you gotta kiss alot of frogs to find the prince/princess.

With that attitude, say goodbye to 2A!

You need new responsible gun owners to help fight the anti gun sentiment of our elected officials.

This is not your favorite surf spot where you try to keep newcomers away.

A new member is a potential vote that may help turn the tide.

It takes time to bring up the posting, some of us have real jobs and family to look after, we can’t be trolling the forum to post just for the sake of posting.

If you loose your rights, no matter how many frogs you’ll kiss, the prince/ princess will not be there for you (-:

Old 09-18-2020, 9:05 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

You need new responsible gun owners to help fight the anti gun sentiment of our elected officials.

It takes time to bring up the posting, some of us have real jobs and family to look after, we can’t be trolling the forum to post just for the sake of posting.

If you loose your rights, no matter how many frogs you’ll kiss, the prince/ princess will not be there for you (-:

LOL- tell us more about how coddling you will save 2A. I'm sure the NRA will make plans to close up shop just as soon as they hear from you...

Old 09-18-2020, 9:25 AM
Moo
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911RONIN View Post
This is absurd. Deal with people who have good itrader ratings and the process is relatively easy. Agree on a price, time and FFL location and your done.

Yep, never had an issue buying or selling. Then again I only respond to ads that I'm willing to pay the exact price listed. And I only respond to buyers wanting to buy for the exact price listed. Pretty simple.
Old 09-18-2020, 9:32 AM
Wishing it was 2021.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

The vast majority of people that are "new" this year panic buyers are now the same people who are saying that "they now have a gun and are qualified to speak on gun control" then say "nobody needs an AR-15" and "reasonable gun control is fine."

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4307 View Post
Just a side note- ALL Glocks are test fired at the factory. So your pistol is actually "Used, Unfired".
Quote:
Originally Posted by james4307 View Post
The official term all of the local gun store use in their sales of firearms that were sold to a customer, not fired outside of the store and then brought back or being re-sold is- "Used, Unfired". This is not something I just made up, the is the term used by many local stores.
^Apparently there's no such thing as a new gun, and the entire gun industry is involved in a conspiracy.
Old 09-18-2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
some of us have real jobs and family to look after, we can’t be trolling the forum to post just for the sake of posting.
You don't troll the forum, invest the time to contribute to the forum!

You're not the only one who has a real job and a family to look after
Old 09-18-2020, 5:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No, we need people to stop voting for anti-gun politicians and the pretense of voting on some complex issues.

Sentiment doesn't do anything. Any politician who can vote anti-gun with impunity because the constituents won't punish him will keep voting anti-gun to toe the party line.

We need action, not words and feelings...
Old 09-18-2020, 5:44 PM

I reply to all my PMs, this place is a lot better than the people on Craigslist...
Old 09-19-2020, 8:25 AM

As other CG members also shared, the CG community is diverse and using the Marketplace is a privilege and resource provided to us for free. OP I encourage you to take time to read the various stickied rules in the Marketplace sections. Plus read the topics raising concerns and sharing successful buying/selling tips. Some of the topics may come across as complaining about new buyers, but there is a grain of truth to discussions. Everyone started new somewhere. But if you want to increase the chances of success buying on CG marketplace, you need to 1) communicate efficiently in your first pm to the seller, 2) do not ask questions in the sellers thread or via pm already answered in the sellers post, 3) be prepared with all required documents, 4) read and learn about the buying process using an FFL, 5) do your best to be a good buyer, and 6) understand sometimes sales do not work out, move on. YMMV. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2020, 10:04 AM

Everything you need in life you learned in Kindergarten....
Old 09-19-2020, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
From another angle,

A lot of people dont want to buy but love to shop. Asking availability makes them feel like they are making progress without sticking their neck out at all, including the time it takes to say something real. Sellers know this and dont want to waste time.

Drop the question and say something else---permanently.
"Hi, I see you have a Kitchen Aid mixer for sale and im very interested. Its in the range of my budget and I like the color. I dont see attachments in the photo, are any included or would I have to pick them up on my own?"

Me, I would respond right away to that. I know what you are thinking, that you dont want to write all that if its already been sold but therein lies one of the problems about non-replies. So, sorry, you have to put the effort and if he writes back and says, "oh its sold, thanks for reminding me to drop the ad," well thats life.

To me, asking availability is the shortcut to a lack of reply, creating an annoyance and even possibly making an enemy. Time to change tactics.

You can be real and also make an enemy. Here is the shortcut:
"Hi, im really interested in your pistol, ive been searching for one for quite a while and yours looks great. Thing is, ive gotten to know the prices and i went to this site where there was one like yours except that it was way cheaper and then I went on a forum and everyone voted that your price is waaaay out of line, a ridiculous price, so are you ready to talk reality or what?" You know what, you better pray i dont reply to that.

There are many ways to approach a seller, including ways to persuade the seller to see your point of view. Learn some! The bottom line involves the premise of the OP. No legit complaint against, or response to, can be made to the question,"is it available?" A better way for progress is to just restate the problem: "How can I improve salesmanship and marketing skills as a buyer or seller?" Now its a worthwhile topic to get at whats ailing it.

Last thing, to answer the second OP question, if you wrote a good note and there was no reply, give it 10 days and nudge. "Hi, i know you might be busy, did you have a chance to see my first enquiry about the pistol? Im still interested and happy to talk to you about it whenever you are free. If its easier for you to call, my number is 823-350-9037. Thanks." If no reply to that, drop it, there is no need to be an aggressive pest. After all, many times the seller isnt selling anything, just testing the market for number of enquiries and price sensitivity. And dont start with, "well thats not fair!" Just dont.
I hear you loud and clear and fully agree with you, but I do have a question....is it still available?