Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-24-2022, 9:11 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Default Anyone Buy Water Bricks?

https://www.waterbrick.org/product/1...5-gallon-blue/

These seem like a great solution to the water storage conundrum. Best of all, unlike 55 gallon drums, or really even 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans, easy to distribute around your house and easy to throw in the trunk. But they are space efficient too with the stacking.

Anyone have these or has used them?

Old 01-24-2022, 9:15 PM
AirBND.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Smile

8 of them lined up in an out of the way spot.

I rotate out the water a couple of times a year, a shot of bleach in the cap while I'm refilling the brick and I'm good to go.

Some day I'm gonna squish the handles closed so that they don't fall off so easily. Not today but some day.

Don't forget the spigot.
Old 01-24-2022, 9:36 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
8 of them lined up in an out of the way spot.

I rotate out the water a couple of times a year, a shot of bleach in the cap while I'm refilling the brick and I'm good to go

Don't forget the spigot.
Same here... although I haven't rotated the water yet. Probably due.

Quote:
Some day I'm gonna squish the handles closed so that they don't fall off so easily. Not today but some day.
So true.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a clichť

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 01-24-2022, 9:57 PM

Wow $180 for 35 gallons? Kind of pricey is it not?
Old 01-24-2022, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Seems like an extremely expensive way to store water if my math is correct.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 01-24-2022, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

I figure the 180.00 is for a single, 3.5 gallon container. So 1800.00 for 35 gallons.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 01-24-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
I figure the 180.00 is for a single, 3.5 gallon container. So 1800.00 for 35 gallons.
It's a 10 pack of 3.5 gallons. 35 gallons. Not sure how you got $180 per 3.5 gal. Title, description, etc. are all saying it's a 10 pack.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:21 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Been looking at em for awhile. Brownells has a better price plus wait for a coupon there.

I like the bombproof scepters but the 5 gal are heavy for the little ladies and the 2.5 gal are harder to come by at a decent price. Plus the bricks probably store better space wise.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:29 PM
Calguns Addict

These seem like one of the better solutions because they can be stacked and (hopefully) they were manufactured to last, unlike a lot of other water bottles found in stores.

But if you think you're going to need more water and you have the land I'll share the Hawaiian rural / jungle Economy solution...

You buy one large waterproof tarp and one of those inexpensive above-ground pools with the thin metal wall and the blue plastic liner, then if you live in an area where it rains a lot ( the reason why they use it in the jungle where they don't get water piped-in) you pull off the thick waterproof plastic tarp cover or if there's no rain you fill it up with your hose and cover it up. Add the correct amount of bleach and then do your best to use it for things like showering, washing clothes, etc.

You could probably drink it or use it for washing dishes but I would want to boil it first for those applications, just in case.
You definitely don't want to be sick if you're already an emergency that's cause the city / government to shut off water.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

looking...
Old 01-24-2022, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve always wondered about these too. I been putting off long term water storage for too long.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:39 PM

These 5Gal containers work very well at $20 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 764B21EE-FD92-4EE3-A73B-83B3E60AE6C7.jpg (6.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 03C388BF-1267-4586-9F18-C8A278268497.jpg (6.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:50 PM

plastic ����

stainless steel - I could go for bu never plastic. Dead, decayed dinosaurs n the like. blahh!

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 01-25-2022, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
It's a 10 pack of 3.5 gallons. 35 gallons. Not sure how you got $180 per 3.5 gal. Title, description, etc. are all saying it's a 10 pack.
So, itís still very expensive. You can buy an Auguson 55 gallon water drum for 125 at Amazon. Enough of those barrels to hold 55 gallons would cost you 270 dollars. More than twice as much for some minor portability.

Old 01-25-2022, 2:22 AM

Quote:
So, it’s still very expensive. You can buy an Auguson 55 gallon water drum for 125 at Amazon. Enough of those barrels to hold 55 gallons would cost you 270 dollars. More than twice as much for some minor portability.
55 gallon is not friendly to move or replace water. 5 gal stackable is the winner.
In an emergency you can give a 5 gallon to family or friends. Also 5 gal container is valuable (not just the water) in a real emergency.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

It is harder to move, I’ll grant you that. But I can do it without any assistance. As for replacing water, that’s easy. I tilt the drum enough so I can roll it outside and then I simply tip it over. And if family of friends want some water, they can provide their own container. If you’ve got the money, then spend it. But I see no reason to and will purchase drums.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:38 PM
Probationary Member

I think it would be a good solution for a water source, but not the only one. I think that a 10-pack would be a good start for easy manageability but then have a larger and more economical source to back it up and provide you refill options. This is assuming you have the room to do so.

Not everyone has the ability to store large quantities for for a small home, condo, or apartment, this may be a good option.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post

These seem like a great solution to the water storage conundrum. Best of all, unlike 55 gallon drums, or really even 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans, easy to distribute around your house and easy to throw in the trunk. But they are space efficient too with the stacking.

I ruled them out a few years ago. The filler caps on the sides make no sense as they could easily leak with thermal expansion and contraction. If they'd engineered the filler on the top, now that would make the product more attractive.
Old 01-25-2022, 1:41 PM

2 for $20 with coupon / 5% off coupon right now
https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-C...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Are they nice and stackable - no - but at this price point 35 gallons only costs about $75.

The "bag" style as I call them come in smaller sizes. If you have wives or kids that can't move 5 gallons they have as small as 1.3 gallons I believe and they just get less expensive the more you buy too.

If you prescribe the theory you don't need them "filled" at the moment and would have time to fill them these are great.
Old 01-25-2022, 2:05 PM

Seems way overpriced. $180 for 35 gal of water storage? You can get those 7 gal cubes at Walmart or Big5 for like $15. Those donít stack as perfectly near as these cubes do but they certainly stack good enough.
Old 01-26-2022, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

I've got a bad back so 55 gallon drum is out. I've got 6 water bricks. I can move them around. Bought a couple of spigots. Fills a need for me.
Old 01-26-2022, 6:58 PM
AirBND.

Quote:
So, itís still very expensive. You can buy an Auguson 55 gallon water drum for 125 at Amazon. Enough of those barrels to hold 55 gallons would cost you 270 dollars. More than twice as much for some minor portability.
Take your poor somewhere else.
Old 01-27-2022, 4:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My thought is to start buying those one gallon six packs from Costco. Six gallons of water in one gallon containers seems more manageable and a lot more cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-27-2022, 6:53 AM

One metric I'd look at is actual potable water requirements. Having been through many power outages and one water table falling below the well pump in my decades of rural living, I came to understand how much water I needed.

With that in hand, then one can plan for storage and purchase or repurpose storage devices.

One thing I noticed, markedly, was the effects of heat and humidity. In Oregon, where I live now, we get 70-80 inches of rain a year and a hot day is 70 and humidity rarely falls below 50% and my water intake/use is substantially less than decades of living in CA's irrigated desert.

I went a different route for water backup but think portable space efficient storage is a great idea, particularly for urban dwellers dependent on municipal or bottled water.

My old-time substitute, those glass and plastic roundies from decades of having a water machine in the shop, aren't really efficient but they work fine. Bricks would be more efficient space-wise. I'd consider them if going new.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:58 AM

I have the thick dark blue BPA-Free plastic 5 gal round Reliance containers. I like them, and can't see replacing them, but to do all over again I think square is a better shape than round for storage. I think the 5 gal is a better size than 3.5, but that's just personal preference. I consider each 5 gal container to be 2 days for 2 people, so 20 gives me 40 days; and if I use 1 a week, refill & move to the back then the water is never more than 5 -6 months old (I miss a week sometimes). I don't put anything in the water, I've been drinking it for years, and never had any problems or noticed anything growing in the water.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:02 AM
AirBND.

Reliance seams die over a year or two. Tried them, didn't work.
Old 01-27-2022, 8:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hmm...seems like a mixed review bag. I used to have two blue 55 gallon barrels at my old house but am now living in a townhome with limited space so these are appealing because I can store several of them in closets and under beds. I think the 5 gallon Jerry Cans are a better deal but you cannot stack them and for a bug out, a few 3.5 gallons in the trunk of a car. The ten Water Bricks stack very nicely to save space but are easy to grab when needed too. You are also spreading out the chances of a leak or contamination by a factor if 10, which I like.

I have ten 5 gallon regular Sparkletts bottles in the garage, those are daily use as I have a dispenser in the kitchen. Those bluish clear bottles suck for long term water storage though, was thinking the Bricks for longer term storage that I would rotate out every six months.

A 55 gallon is great but at 440lbs it isn't fitting into my car trunk and I couldn't lift it anywhere anyway. So if you are home-basing, great, but if you need mobility, not very good.

Old 01-28-2022, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have 8 stackables. But a different brand.
Also look for the smaller 30 gallon drum.
Old 01-28-2022, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Reliance seams die over a year or two. Tried them, didn't work.
Die? I've had mine for about 10 years and they are fine. I have wondered about chemicals from the plastic leaching into the water - but I have no way to test that. I do keep them inside, out of sunlight, and they don't get too hot or freeze.

What happened with yours and do you know what caused it (heat, cold, exposure to sunlight, etc)?
Old 01-30-2022, 7:53 AM
AirBND.

The plastic welds developed pin hole leaks/weep throughs along the bottom. Really jacked up the hardwood floor in my closet.

I just ordered 5 of these.

https://www.progressivepii.com/abili...tic-tan-5-gal/
Old 01-31-2022, 10:33 PM

I have some and am not too impressed. Pros: easy to handle, stackable (questionable advantage unless you have tons of them). Cons: the lid appears a weak point that could be prone to leakage (although in practice this hasn't been an issue), you can't quite empty them all the way out (not important but annoying), a bit pricey.
I prefer the scepter 5 gal cans as overall more sturdy and usable. Larger barrels/drums are also nice to have - I picked up some stainless 55 gal drums from a winery that was shutting down. Also rainwater collection into as large of a tank as you can fit in your space has been nice to have. Nothing like having 2k gallons of rainwater to flush and wash with when a PG&E PSPS shuts off your power, and thus your well, for a couple of weeks in the height of summer.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:18 PM

I used to have them when I lived in a apartment.
Old 03-20-2022, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post

I have something like 40 of these including the water, food, and ammo storage bins. Happy so far. If you buy the water preserver they sell it is good for several years without rotation.

The primary advantage is portability and stackability. A 55gal drum is great in addition to these, but it weighs 450lb+, so it's totally immobile. These are perfectly sized so a wife or kids can transport them to the car in an evacuation situation.

So far no leaks or issues. I keep them in the garage primarily so that's a low risk issue for me personally even if it occurs.

The food bricks are good and a nice way to keep rice or beans assuming you drop some silica gel packs in there.

However, I am so-so on the ammo bricks. I think a traditional ammo can is probably better, though it obviously doesn't stack as well with these. A fully loaded ammo brick is pretty heavy and the flexible plastic and lock free lid is not ideal.
Old 03-20-2022, 8:00 AM

Tagged
Old 03-20-2022, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't like to possibility for a leaky cap being on the side. The spigot will only get you 1/2 of what's in the container. Pricey too.
Old 03-20-2022, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
I don't like to possibility for a leaky cap being on the side. The spigot will only get you 1/2 of what's in the container. Pricey too.
We have had ours for 1.5 years without issue. So I am a sample size of 1, but I am not sure this is a likely concern. I have not heard of leaking issues from others I know that have these. YMMV of course.
Old 03-20-2022, 8:40 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
These 5Gal containers work very well at $20 each.
Speaking from experience the plastic will degrade and crack if left outside for a few years from UV--even if in constant shade. If you store them indoors they will probably work fine.

Sceptre is more expensive but designed to last for years outdoors.

I think the stackable bricks would suffer the same problems if left outdoors.
Old 03-20-2022, 8:58 AM

We are Sparkletts customers and always keep 50 extra gallons on hand in addition to 25,000 gallons in the pool for non potable use.
I rotate bi-weekly