Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 12-28-2018, 1:45 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
Congrats dude. FWIW, I also have my NV permit, so if you wanted to qualify for NV, OR, WA,FL,AZ,UT - I would recommend making a trip out of it and get it all done in NV @ any NRA certified class (took mine @ 702 Rage) and that was with Live Fire to cover any Non-Rez permits that would require it - and you get NV which requires you take the class in the county you apply.
This.
While you can take a class in CA that satisfies AZ/FL, reciprocity laws do change frequently, so in addition to the "catch all" AZ/FL permits, it is absolutely a good idea to get permits from states that you frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-28-2018, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
This.
While you can take a class in CA that satisfies AZ/FL, reciprocity laws do change frequently, so in addition to the "catch all" AZ/FL permits, it is absolutely a good idea to get permits from states that you frequent.
My thoughts exactly. CA, NV, UT, OR, WA & Enhanced ID. No need for reciprocity. Plus there is the issue of federal GFZs that I do not have to worry about.
Old 12-28-2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Plus there is the issue of federal GFZs that I do not have to worry about.
Can you explain this thought further? Does the CCW exception to the GFSZ not apply if you are carrying under a reciprocity agreement or is it something else?
Old 12-28-2018, 9:03 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Can you explain this thought further? Does the CCW exception to the GFSZ not apply if you are carrying under a reciprocity agreement or is it something else?
Federal law provides an exemption for the holder of a CCW issued by "the state"... not "a state" or "any state"
Of course, "a state" or "any state" would imply 50-state reciprocity, so the only other way to word the statute would be "issued by the state, or a state recognized by the state"
AFAIK, it has not been tested in court.
It is a Federal law and it's not like there are Federal cops making traffic stops in school zones looking for violations.
It would likely be an add-on charge connected with arrest for another crime, likely a Federal crime.

Even when Theseus was convicted under 626.9 by an activist DA and judge, he was not also charged under Federal statutes.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Pretty much as Cokebottle said.

The statute is 18 USC § 922 (q)(2) --

"(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

So, reciprocity does not work.
See also http://www.wisconsincarry.org/media/...3gfsza__2_.pdf
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

So, reciprocity does not work.
See also http://www.wisconsincarry.org/media/...3gfsza__2_.pdf
Likewise, Constitutional Carry does not apply.

Quote: