Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation Stanislaus

UPDATE (2014 May 28):
The sheriff's own policy dated 2013-02-27, under 218.2(f)(1) states that "Self Protection" may establish good cause. (See "CCW Policy" .pdf linked at: http://www.scsdonline.com/forms/conc...ns-permit.html). As seen on p. 6 of this thread, several CGNers say the the sheriff is issuing for "Self Protection" per the policy.

UPDATE (2015 Aug 10):
Policy 5/12/2015 at: http://www.scsdonline.com/records/ccw-appointment.html
links to .pdf of new policy where "Personal Protection" = GC

Last edited by Paladin; 08-10-2015 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: CCWs getting issued for mere SD as GC; deleted old info/links
Old 10-18-2010, 9:09 PM

The coals are hot here in Stanislaus County for getting a CCW. Get down to the Stanislaus County Sheriffs department now and pick up an application, if you're serious and have a clean background.
Old 10-25-2010, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

There's another discussion hereabouts and it appears the Stan. Co. sheriff has seen the light on CCW. Great news.
Old 10-25-2010, 3:36 PM

That's good to hear. Any idea how Calaveras county next door is in terms of CCWs?

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 10-27-2010, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

I got mine in Stanislaus County, "Personal protection outside of the home" was my entire GC statement. No criminal background whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2010, 9:54 PM

About two years ago, I applied and was denied due to insufficient good cause. I was required to have completed my training and pay all the fees before I could submit my application. Now I've read in different posts around calguns that the most I have to pay up front is $20 and I can take my training after I have been approved. Also, I have seen that once the sheriff has had me livescanned, I don't have to do it again. Have I read all this right, or am I mistaken? Has the sheriff changed his policy? The documents that are posted here from the Stanislaus sheriff indicate that his policies have not changed. Do I go in and just demand that the law be followed? That seems like it would possibly cause some problems getting approved?
Old 11-09-2010, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think I'd go in and demand that they fix the process. You and I don't carry enough weight.

CGF is planning to educate California's sheriffs on the proper administration of the CCW application system. They may not like the education, but I'm assured it is coming.

For now, we suck it up and go get the CCW permit here in Stanislaus. After all, if you have a clean record the sheriff will almost certainly issue your CCW license - so it really doesn't matter all that much whether you do the training now or later - or whether you pay the entire fee now or pay it later. Right now in Stanislaus it really doesn't matter all that much.

In a county where they tend to deny you it matters. That's because there you'll be paying for a course you would not have had to take if they followed the law - and paid fees you should not have had to pay since they did not issue to you.
Old 11-09-2010, 7:58 PM

Ole Cuss, you're right, of course. I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay it all up front again. Do you know if I have to go throught the livescan again?
Old 11-09-2010, 8:09 PM

If I live in Ripon, do I go through Stanislaus, or San Joaquin? Or does it matter?
Old 11-09-2010, 8:20 PM

Ripon is in San Joaquin county, that sucks.
Old 11-09-2010, 9:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I agree with OleCuss, it's probably better for individual applications to avoid direct conflict and simply focus on getting the license. However, if you're interested in taking a stand, we can certainly appreciate such an outlook and will work with those applicants where it serves to advance the cause.

Hdawg, I suggest getting your license first and then, later, approaching the Sheriff's Dept. in a mailed letter (certified, return receipt requested) demanding the overpayment of fees based upon their improper policy. This is where we can help.

When you go back in to re-apply, you might want to inform the CCW coordinator that you do not believe they can assess more fees than another $20 initial fee since you already paid for the entire process, and that the law states "if the license applicant has previously applied to the same licensing authority...no additional application form or fingerprints shall be required" (PC Section 12052(b).) If they disagree, you may wish consider complying with their direction in order to achieve your objective in the short term. In any case, document document document! Keep good records of who/what/when/why/how and copies of everything.

Everyone, remember this email address: ccw@calgunsfoundation.org

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM

Thank you for the input. I will go ahead with the training and then re-apply.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Does anybody know if Christenson puts limitations on how the carry gun is modified? I have CT laser sights on all the guns I want to carry. Is this going to be a problem? I've also bobbed the hammer on a S&W Model 66 snubbie.
Old 11-13-2010, 6:31 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't know of any restrictions based on modifications. They didn't even bother to ask about any mods when I applied.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Does anybody know if Christenson puts limitations on how the carry gun is modified? I have CT laser sights on all the guns I want to carry. Is this going to be a problem? I've also bobbed the hammer on a S&W Model 66 snubbie.
There is no mention of "modifications" in the Stanislaus CCW Policy or Application,fwiw.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 11-13-2010, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
There is no mention of "modifications" in the Stanislaus CCW Policy or Application,fwiw.
That's good to hear, I won't even bring it up when I interview. I'm a big fan of CT laser sights and I'd really rather not have to remove them.
Old 12-08-2010, 3:24 AM

Ok question I know if you live in Modesto city limits you have to go through the PD for your CCW. Does anyone have any insight on how they are about issuing?
Old 12-08-2010, 7:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushsguns View Post
Ok question I know if you live in Modesto city limits you have to go through the PD for your CCW. Does anyone have any insight on how they are about issuing?
This is absolutely positively false. As a resident of a city with it's own PD you have two choices: the city PD or the county sheriff. Please go through your sheriff.
Old 12-08-2010, 8:29 AM

Gray-

I met with TPD, and the tried to go directly to SO and explained I had "talked" to TPD. Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD. This is a recent change that the sheriff committed to TPD's CoP so that TPD could "monitor" who is getting permits. So I am back to TPD in January to deal with this issue, pay the money, get rejected, then go to SO, pay the money and get my permit.

Any thoughts?

"just a guy trying to follow the rules..."
Old 12-08-2010, 8:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtherules View Post
Gray-

I met with TPD, and the tried to go directly to SO and explained I had "talked" to TPD. Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD. This is a recent change that the sheriff committed to TPD's CoP so that TPD could "monitor" who is getting permits. So I am back to TPD in January to deal with this issue, pay the money, get rejected, then go to SO, pay the money and get my permit.

Any thoughts?

"just a guy trying to follow the rules..."
Specifically:

Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD.

And I'll make it very clear to Connie: She and her boss the sheriff will take the applications from residents of Turlock without requiring anything else per Salute v. Pitchess, or she along with her boss can join a defendant's roster and be forced to explain under oath to a court why they're violating Salute.

Let me a quote of mine which has somehow ended up in the sig's of quite a few members here: "The Sheriff's will follow the law. Not "or else". WILL".

The sheriff is breaking the law and not "following the rules" of PC12050. Please pm both me and wildhawker, with your RL name, what happened specifically with Connie, and your phone number, I will call and reach out to you.

Do not under any circumstances go to Turlock PD, and do not under any circumstances cooperate with the sheriff's unlawful and illegal demands, especially demands which cost you money.

As a general statement to this board: People who abet a sheriff's illegal demands only supports the sheriff's in their incorrect belief that their own illegal actions are A-OK.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 12-08-2010 at 8:56 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

GO GET'M GRAY!!
Old 12-08-2010, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
RANT ON. RANT OFF.

The Ranter!!

(those damn clap on ads have gotten into my head...)
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-08-2010, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Specifically:

Connie made it very clear, that the SO will not even accept the application or schedule an appt. without a rejection letter from TPD.

And I'll make it very clear to Connie: She and her boss the sheriff will take the applications from residents of Turlock without requiring anything else per Salute v. Pitchess, or she along with her boss can join a defendant's roster and be forced to explain under oath to a court why they're violating Salute.

Let me a quote of mine which has somehow ended up in the sig's of quite a few members here: "The Sheriff's will follow the law. Not "or else". WILL".

The sheriff is breaking the law and not "following the rules" of PC12050. Please pm both me and wildhawker, with your RL name, what happened specifically with Connie, and your phone number, I will call and reach out to you.

Do not under any circumstances go to Turlock PD, and do not under any circumstances cooperate with the sheriff's unlawful and illegal demands, especially demands which cost you money.

As a general statement to this board: People who abet a sheriff's illegal demands only supports the sheriff's in their incorrect belief that their own illegal actions are A-OK.

Bravo!
Old 12-09-2010, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I confirmed current policy with Connie this a.m. Sheriff will, however, renew licenses previously issued to Turlock residents.

I live in Turlock and if someone wanted me to go to the sheriff's office and show them the relevant case law I'd be willing to arrange for that. I think the sheriff is a good guy and will see reason without getting sued.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

From Brandon:

If you or someone you know reside in the City of Turlock, specifically, or Stanislaus County generally, do not have a carry license, and are interested in reforming Carry License policies and improving issuance in your area, please sign up to participate at https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer **ASAP**!

-Brandon
Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I confirmed current policy with Connie this a.m. Sheriff will, however, renew licenses previously issued to Turlock residents.

I live in Turlock and if someone wanted me to go to the sheriff's office and show them the relevant case law I'd be willing to arrange for that. I think the sheriff is a good guy and will see reason without getting sued.
You can be absolutely 100% certain that Brandon and Gray made sure that the sheriff is well aware of all pertinent law. Now Brandon is making sure that he has an opportunity to show his willingness to follow that law.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-09-2010, 4:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-14-2010, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Have you completed a gun safety course?
Attach a copy of the certificate to your
application.

Private Citizens: Safety course must be
taken within 90 days of your application.
Are they asking for it to be taken 90 before and/or after the Application. or do they just want it completed by the end of 90 days.

Reason I'm asking is I have P.O.S.T. Firearms Training certificate and several others training certificates from the mid to late 90's

Do I still have to take training?

Smyrna Lodge #532 F.&A.M.
Old 12-14-2010, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Are they asking for it to be taken 90 before and/or after the Application. or do they just want it completed by the end of 90 days.

Reason I'm asking is I have P.O.S.T. Firearms Training certificate and several others training certificates from the mid to late 90's

Do I still have to take training?
Within 90 days before or after the Application.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 12-14-2010, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Within 90 days before or after the Application.
Or 6 months for Judges, county employees, DDA's

Or every year for Custodial (jail sheriff), Reserve officers
Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sorry, I'm having trouble finding where, exactly, the statute provides (or allows) for a different training period or regimen for classes of applicants created by the Sheriff...

Old 12-18-2010, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

I did my class with WTS in Jamestown today, they are nice folk and get my recommendation. I'll be taking a basic handgun class from them in the Spring. Next step is to get that application and appointment.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W629Lover View Post
The coals are hot here in Stanislaus County for getting a CCW. Get down to the Stanislaus County Sheriffs department now and pick up an application, if you're serious and have a clean background.
Quote:
There's another discussion hereabouts and it appears the Stan. Co. sheriff has seen the light on CCW. Great news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
I got mine in Stanislaus County, "Personal protection outside of the home" was my entire GC statement. No criminal background whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
CGF is planning to educate California's sheriffs on the proper administration of the CCW application system. They may not like the education, but I'm assured it is coming.

For now, we suck it up and go get the CCW permit here in Stanislaus. After all, if you have a clean record the sheriff will almost certainly issue your CCW license - so it really doesn't matter all that much whether you do the training now or later - or whether you pay the entire fee now or pay it later. Right now in Stanislaus it really doesn't matter all that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
I agree with OleCuss, it's probably better for individual applications to avoid direct conflict and simply focus on getting the license. However, if you're interested in taking a stand, we can certainly appreciate such an outlook and will work with those applicants where it serves to advance the cause.
So what is the "official" status of Stanislaus acc to CGF: "time to apply" or wait because the Right People still in discussions w/the SO?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So what is the "official" status of Stanislaus acc to CGF: "time to apply" or wait because the Right People still in discussions w/the SO?
We suggest holding tight until our efforts resolve.

-Brandon

Old 12-19-2010, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We suggest holding tight until our efforts resolve.

-Brandon
I've taken my class. Are you saying to hold off applying until further notice?
Old 12-19-2010, 9:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I've taken my class. Are you saying to hold off applying until further notice?
No. Those who've volunteered and I contacted should proceed. However, we would like to contain this effort somewhat until it fully resolves.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Everyone who participated will be receiving a letter. Please scan and email it to me ASAP and notate if you are a Turlock resident.

-Brandon
Old 01-08-2011, 9:29 AM

FYI, I received an email from the Madison Society that says the SO did not require a member to be rejected from Turlock before applying. Has anyone else experienced this, or have we received any responses that the policy change was made?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingtherules View Post
FYI, I received an email from the Madison Society that says the SO did not require a member to be rejected from Turlock before applying. Has anyone else experienced this, or have we received any responses that the policy change was made?

How recent was the email? Can you post it?

This change is recent and there are reports of the policy change. You can always call the sheriff office and ask if you Don't believe it.

Posted 01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geologist View Post
I took mine through Madison Society; however, when I called the Sheriff's office to make my appointment, Connie told me that I had to apply at Turlock PD first. If I was denied then I could apply through the Sheriff. That was the new policy. Where in the PC does it say I must do that? I did not see that referenced in the policy either (Salute vs Pitchess). Guess we are just special in Turlock.
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...=298723&page=5
Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If the Stanislaus County SO is accepting applications "without prejudice", it's a recent change. We'll be asking volunteers to test this ASAP.

-Brandon