Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-18-2019, 7:53 AM

Default DFW Needs Hunter Ed Instructors

I recently learned from BHA that CA DFW needs Hunter Education Instructors. There is a small incentive program that might help convince somebody on the fence. The incentives are entries into a drawing for instructor-only premium hunts but only after you've taught for a few years. It's still more about helping your local community develop the next generation of safe and ethical hunters. The hunt drawing is still just a thank you for your volunteer service. If that's of any interest, inquire with your local district coordinator:

Northern District: Liz Gregory, (209) 274-9923, Liz.Gregory@wildlife.ca.gov
North Coast District: Bart Bundesen, (415) 892-0073, Bart.Bundesen@wildlife.ca.gov
Central District: Shawn Olague, (209) 827-0895, Shawn.Olague@wildlife.ca.gov
Southern District: Mike Norris, (562) 429-7249, Mike.Norris@wildlife.ca.gov

As we all know, hunter numbers are declining and the political winds rarely blow in the favor of hunters here in CA. Making sure that we continue to recruit and retain safe, ethical hunters is critical to making sure that the tradition and practice of hunting continues for future generations.

In my personal opinion, every household that owns a gun should take the Hunter Safety Class. It's an extremely good intro to basic handling, operation, safety and real-life decision-making.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

What type of commitment is involved?

I really should do more to give back.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

A number of years ago I asked about becoming one and was told forget it we do not need any. So now I am an NRA instructor, RSO and help teach CCW classes.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 AM

I reached out to my district. I took hunters eds when I was in Jr. High and it was something I never forgot. I would love to help if I can.

My fishing and Outdoors channel on YouTube http://YouTube.com/JaimeAstin
Old 09-18-2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
What type of commitment is involved?

I really should do more to give back.
To get started, you need to call your district coordinator. Mine sent me a couple of packets for policies/procedures & such as well as the hunter education books to read over. Then you take the test, which was basically a regular hunter education test plus some questions regarding the instructor packets. I took mine at the local DFW office with the district coordinator proctoring the exam himself. Thankfully, I recently helped my oldest son get his license less than a year ago so the material was pretty fresh to me. If you know basic hunter safety, you'll do fine.

Then do livescan & such. Pretty standard for government employment, even though we're just volunteering.

As for ongoing commitments, you have to teach at least one class per year and do one continuing ed class per year (can sub in with the online CE course but I was told it's pretty dull) to be eligible for the hunt drawings. Handing in your income/expense worksheet on time is also required for the drawing. You can do one class every few years if you want but you just won't be eligible for the drawing unless you do one every calendar year.

Other than that, just stay out of trouble & you're good to go, from what I see. I guess our local area has had some problems with corruption (taking bribes, for example) so we're extremely short-staffed. I personally know of a handful of friends and kids who want to take the course but don't know where to begin. Demand is high but the supply of courses and instructors is extremely low. We can use some help from safe, ethical hunters who want to help make sure the tradition of hunting stays alive.

I don't want to detract from other conservation or political organizations. I'm a life member of BHA & appreciate what they do to promote public access, conservation and fair chase. Other organizations are extremely beneficial to wildlife, the land, hunters and gun owners. But I felt that this was a perfect opportunity to give back to my local community -- helping to make MY woods safer, as well as promote conservation and fair chase ethics in my own community.

You'll want to call and/or email the district coordinator for your area to get more details. Keep in mind that I'm not an official representative here -- just some guy on the internet who is trying to help out a little.
Old 09-18-2019, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I tried to call but line was busy. So I sent an email.
Old 09-19-2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
I tried to call but line was busy. So I sent an email.
Way to step up! Thank you.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What will Central Cal be? I dont mind being one.

edit: nevermind! Found his contact.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Emailed.
http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/
Old 09-20-2019, 1:15 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I do several classes a year. It's very rewarding.
Old 09-20-2019, 1:16 PM

Baxter & mif slim -- awesome! Thank you.
Old 09-20-2019, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

No reply yet. Anyone get a reply???
Old 09-20-2019, 6:23 PM

I'm still waiting to go on my first hunt. If I was a bit seasoned, I'd love to!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 09-20-2019, 6:49 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Divern, who did you email? And pm me your real name. I'm going to see one of the hunter ed coordinators in a couple days.