Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > 209 Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Anyone been up to the jamestown blm area recently? Might head up there next week to shoot and clean up and was wondering what the conditions were like?
Old 05-01-2015, 6:03 PM

Was there a month ago it was nice. Picked up tons of shotgun shells and random prices of electronics. Gonna go next weekend with a friend and my son.
Old 05-08-2015, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegomayra View Post
I live in Riverbank and generally head up to Candy Rock but this is closer. I am with you Lost.In.Cali, I will help.
Not trying to threadjack, but -

Myself and some friends shot at Candy Rock a couple of times a 7-8 years back, but friends of mine who live in Calaveras and Tuolumne counties say that it may be shut down, (if it hasn't been already) because some of the people who live a few hundred yards to the west of that place have been complaining about the noise, the danger of spent rounds, potential for fires started by ricochets, etc.

More recently, we have also done some shooting at the site of the old limestone plant on Camp 9 Rd. To my knowledge, the closest houses are a couple of miles away on to the north, but it is probably just a matter of time before some resident starts whining.

* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government

http://www.wnd.com/2008/11/56494/
Old 05-08-2015, 8:23 AM

Where are these places at? I am in twain harte and always looking for new places
Old 05-08-2015, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanaride View Post
Where are these places at? I am in twain harte and always looking for new places
Candy Rock is off of Highway 4, about 3 miles from Hathaway Pines to the east of the Highway. I can find my way there, but cannot remember the names of any of the roads that lead to it.

The old limestone plant was owned by Calaveras Cement and was shut down many years ago. They tore the facility down some time in the 90's. There were a couple of no trespassing signs that were shot to hell, but other people had been shooting there and we saw people riding ATV's at the far end of the property. I don't know if the property is still owned by some corporation or has been turned over to BLM or USFS. To get there from the Sonora/Twain Harte area, go through Columbia, and take Parrots Ferry Rd. north. About 1 mile before you get to Highway 4, Camp 9 Rd. is on the right. The site is back there about 5 miles.

We didn't worry about the shot to hell no trespassing signs because my one buddy is a honcho with Calaveras.gov, is friends with the sheriff and knows most of the deputies.

I am going to call him this weekend and see if he can find out about the disposition of the property - who owns it, and whether it is still kosher to shoot there - or if it ever was to begin with.
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government

Last edited by Sierra57; 05-08-2015 at 4:40 PM..
Old 06-13-2015, 5:01 PM

Has anyone been to Jamestown lately? I would like to go do some shooting if it is open, and bring extra trash bags to clean the place up if needed.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:44 PM

Candy Rock is a right turn onto Hunter's Dam Rd, just past Hathaway Pines on Highway 4, but before Avery, and then a right turn onto Candy Rock Rd. As far as I know, it is still open but the times are limited, something like 10am-6pm, and there is something about no .50 cal and no rapid/auto-fire. I'll have to dig up the USFS regs on that...

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 PM

Ok...to clarify my last post, here are the permanent regs that were proposed, pending completion of an environmental impact report, which has been delayed so the rules put forth are still in effect: http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/84695_FSPLT2_291730.pdf

Link to current USFS status: http://data.ecosystem-management.org...952&exp=detail

So yes, limited hours, M-F 10-6, Sat 10-3, but no shooting on Sundays, nothing larger than .50 cal.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Old 06-15-2015, 4:36 AM

Man the hills seem to have so many hidden gems to shoot at.
I've never been to candy rock, seems like a unique place.

Anyone going this coming weekend?
Old 06-15-2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Candy Rock is a right turn onto Hunter's Dam Rd, just past Hathaway Pines on Highway 4, but before Avery, and then a right turn onto Candy Rock Rd. As far as I know, it is still open but the times are limited, something like 10am-6pm, and there is something about no .50 cal and no rapid/auto-fire. I'll have to dig up the USFS regs on that...
There's a lot of foot traffic. That's an old watering hole we used to frequent as kids. So there's always people walking and hiking all over that place.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
There's a lot of foot traffic. That's an old watering hole we used to frequent as kids. So there's always people walking and hiking all over that place.
Aye, down in the Stanislaus River canyon. The quarry where they shoot is actually still towards the top of the ridge, before the road starts descending into the canyon.

Old 06-17-2015, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt scuzzy View Post
Has anyone been to Jamestown lately? I would like to go do some shooting if it is open, and bring extra trash bags to clean the place up if needed.
I was there on the 11th with some friends. I didn't see any shot up trash, it's been clean last few times I've gone. We pick up after ourselves. Nice place to shoot.
Old 07-08-2015, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbob View Post
I was there on the 11th with some friends. I didn't see any shot up trash, it's been clean last few times I've gone. We pick up after ourselves. Nice place to shoot.
Excellent, glad to hear it.

I got my call in March from the Mother Lode Gun Club and was finally able to join after 2 years of waiting. I probably won't be using BLM land much now, except when I want to go on a hike.

That said, I always bring a large black trash bag and small grocery bag with me when I hike. On the way in I just kick or toss the trash I see to the trail edge and on the way back out I collect it. It pick up the small stuff until it fills the grocery bag and then dump in the big bag secured to my pack.

If we all do that each time, it'll be magnitudes better. Plus when others observe us they'll hopefully copy our behavior.
Old 08-15-2015, 9:22 PM

I swung by today, place seems pretty clean. I have never shot there before, but I bet the houses near by at the road hate it. Hotter than heck today, I just walked around a bit to get feel for the place. Two does jumped from under a tree, some doves went up......but a covey of quail jumped on my left as I was walking and actually startled me lol

I'm going to take a friend up who just got a rifle and wants to fire a few shots. It's a Japanese WWII rifle....took him 3 months to get ammo for the thing.

We will do the usual, pick up what we take in and more.
Old 09-05-2015, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Spent some time shooting today - place looks very clean compared to when I was last here.

I have acquired some metal targets (gongs, etc.), which will be way too difficult to travel with in this semi-hilly area. Any other BLM lands in the area that are flat and don't require going upgrade?
Old 09-11-2015, 4:19 AM

I was there yesterday afternoon. Very clean and I was the only one out there.

Great to see people respecting this place again.
Ephesians 6:10
Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 AM

i was just there yesterday. took about half a trashbag worth of stuff out of there. somebody was nice enough to put a bunch of their trash in a pile but still leave it there.
Old 11-03-2015, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra57 View Post

I am going to call him this weekend and see if he can find out about the disposition of the property - who owns it, and whether it is still kosher to shoot there - or if it ever was to begin with.
What was the outcome of this, have you had a chance to find out?
Old 11-09-2015, 5:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
What was the outcome of this, have you had a chance to find out?
Sorry for not answering sooner.

The old limestone quarry and mill site property on Camp 9 Rd is still owned by the Heidelberg Cement Group. So while it is private property, it is better than BLM getting their nasty hands on it and declaring it an Area of Critical Environmental Concern, like they did with Red Hills and other areas.

Old 11-09-2015, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry for not answering sooner.

The old limestone quarry and mill site property on Camp 9 Rd is still owned by the Heidelberg Cement Group. So while it is private property, it is better than BLM getting their nasty hands on it and declaring it an Area of Critical Environmental Concern, like they did with Red Hills and other areas.
Hmm...so what would be the consequences of shooting on private property without the owner's permission?

Old 11-09-2015, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Hmm...so what would be the consequences of shooting on private property without the owner's permission?
If it is posted "No Trespassing" you could be arrested for trespassing. I would assume they would at least seize your guns and make you go through the hassle of getting them back, or perhaps you might lose them altogether.

If there is no sign, only if the owner tells you that you are trespassing would you be trespassing. Otherwise, in general, you are not breaking any law being on private property without permission.

The real question then is, "Are there any specific gun laws about being on private property with firearms when there is no permission granted?" (assuming there is a lack of a "No Trespassing" sign, so otherwise you are not there illegally). If not, it is the same as going to a store with a gun when you have a CCW permit. No law is broken until you are told to leave the property.
Old 11-09-2015, 3:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
If it is posted "No Trespassing" you could be arrested for trespassing. I would assume they would at least seize your guns and make you go through the hassle of getting them back, or perhaps you might lose them altogether.

If there is no sign, only if the owner tells you that you are trespassing would you be trespassing. Otherwise, in general, you are not breaking any law being on private property without permission.

The real question then is, "Are there any specific gun laws about being on private property with firearms when there is no permission granted?" (assuming there is a lack of a "No Trespassing" sign, so otherwise you are not there illegally). If not, it is the same as going to a store with a gun when you have a CCW permit. No law is broken until you are told to leave the property.
Thanks, that sounds very logical...

Old 11-09-2015, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've shot there with my buddy who is a big wheel for the county and knows most of the deputies - and knew the recently deceased sheriff. Hope they get another good sheriff and don't fill the position with some anti 2A jackhole.

Old 11-10-2015, 8:59 AM

Quote:
I've shot there with my buddy who is a big wheel for the county and knows most of the deputies - and knew the recently deceased sheriff. Hope they get another good sheriff and don't fill the position with some anti 2A jackhole.
From what I'm seeing of the potential replacements, that's not going to be an issue. Two of the possibilities ran against Kuntz in the last two elections, and both were solid 2A people. The third choice is another captain in the department, but from what I've heard he actually doesn't live in the county, which I think means he can be appointed as interim sheriff, but can't run in the next election.

I've got people I know there, too, but I hate to pull my get-out-of-jail-free card too soon, especially if there are avoidable circumstances.

Old 11-10-2015, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
From what I'm seeing of the potential replacements, that's not going to be an issue. Two of the possibilities ran against Kuntz in the last two elections, and both were solid 2A people. The third choice is another captain in the department, but from what I've heard he actually doesn't live in the county, which I think means he can be appointed as interim sheriff, but can't run in the next election.

I've got people I know there, too, but I hate to pull my get-out-of-jail-free card too soon, especially if there are avoidable circumstances.
I am heading up to Calaveras early tomorrow for a few days on bidniz. I am going to have lunch with my buddy on Friday and will ask him more about the abandoned quarry land on Camp 9 Rd., and what his thoughts are about the sheriff candidates.

The old quarry is prime land for a gun range. Wish I could get my grubby hands on it.

Old 11-11-2015, 8:11 PM

Cool...let us know!

Old 01-08-2016, 2:57 PM

Anyone been up to French Flat in Jamestown recently? I'm trying to nail down a day in the next week or 2 to go.
Old 02-05-2016, 4:33 AM

Has anyone been out here lately? I'm hoping to head out Sunday to check it out. My wife has a new AR to shoot.
Old 02-11-2016, 1:57 PM

I'm also interested if any has gone recently? The last time I was there was in late May and the place was clean. If its still open, can you shoot steel targets out there?
Old 02-12-2016, 5:26 AM

I didn't make it out there. I hope to either this weekend or next weekend. I will definitely be taking some trash bags and cleanup some if needed.
Old 07-10-2016, 1:34 PM

anyone been there lately?
Old 07-10-2016, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver06wrx View Post
anyone been there lately?
I went yesterday. Very large amount of dry grass and tons of sticky thorns and weeds. Do not shoot anything metal here as that can spark and light the grass.

We hiked up the trail to the abandoned storage container, then came back down to shoot.

The old TV is still along the trail going up. Good going to need the keys to the gate and a truck to get it out, or a wheelbarrow and a couple of guys to take turns.

Someone setup a makeshift wooden frame for targets by the dried up pond on the right at the bottom of the trail up the hill. This was littered with a ton of shot up trash all around it. It needs to come down. We cannot leave anything behind, or the area is going to be closed permanently to shooting, just like Red Hills.

We hauled out a lot of the shot up trash, but we didn't have trash bags as we didn't expect that much junk and we had steel and paper targets (did not shoot the steel because of the overgrown state of things and how dry it was).

If folks can bring a hammer and start to tear it down and haul it out, that would be great. I mostly go to the MLGC range now, and was here more for the hike than the shooting.

Here is a pic of a family friend and my boy on the way back down from the hike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160709_131448.jpg (96.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Jason95357; 07-10-2016 at 2:52 PM..
Old 07-10-2016, 3:03 PM
Hobnobbin' with a Goblin
CGN Contributor

Looks and sounds like a great place to shoot.
We may need to do a clean up.
Plan it in advance for the fall and let's clean it
up and maybe post it with a sign or two saying keep it
clean or lose it.
-g
Old 07-10-2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Looks and sounds like a great place to shoot.
We may need to do a clean up.
Plan it in advance for the fall and let's clean it
up and maybe post it with a sign or two saying keep it
clean or lose it.
-g
Great advice about the sign.

Anyone know a good BLM contact that can get us gate access to clean up with a truck, and get permission to mount the sign on the gate?
Old 07-23-2016, 7:11 AM

My lady just got her first rifle and I'm looking for a good spot to teach her how to shoot it. I just found out about being able to target shoot on BLM land. Sounds great! I'm hearing a good spot near Coulterville off of 49. Any advice? I have a Jeep so getting back in a ways shouldn't be a problem .

More than happy to haul out a couple bags of trash if needed. Just looking for a calm quite spot not to awfully far from Oakdale.

Last edited by Cali209; 07-23-2016 at 11:19 AM..
Old 07-23-2016, 8:50 AM

Everywhere is terribly dry right now. I was at French Flat two weekends ago. We didn't shoot far (25 yards) and just used 22s and into a dirt backstop, and then handguns at close range. If that sounds good, then I'd take her to French Flat BLM. Be sure to keep it all unloaded until you enter the BLM gate, and unload before leaving. Bring paper targets and trash bags. Please clean up a bag of trash before you leave. Someone has made a makeshift target wall there out of 2x4s. It is not legal that this was left there, and all the trash around it speaks to why we keep losing BLM land for target practice (like Red Hills). But, until it is gone, you might as well use it. Park at the circle at the end of French Flat road (don't block the gate) and walk down and to the right and you will see it. You can also explore further on and see the large field we use for long distance shooting when it is not a tinderbox.

The problem with Jackass Creek by Coulterville is that it also has a half dozen mining claims. The area is unpredictable as the miners can rearrange the dirt piles they dredge up. Plus, if they are working there you lose much of the space (it really just just good for short distance, and handgun).

It should be needless to say, but I will say it anyway: don't shoot steel or cans as they may spark. Do not shoot into uncleared backstops which may have rocks and spark. Causing a fire is a huge fine and would certainly lose is more BLM lands for target practice.

Last edited by Jason95357; 07-23-2016 at 8:54 AM..
Old 08-04-2016, 10:42 PM

Hi shooters. i am new to this but would like to help. i will be heading out to the one in James town .i will bring some trash bags and do my best to help keep it open if you know of any other spot i would be more then happy for the info.i will make sure to take down that 2x4 down..i live in modesto so any spots near me is great

Last edited by milegetter; 08-04-2016 at 10:45 PM..
Old 08-04-2016, 10:47 PM

Old 08-04-2016, 10:48 PM

Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Cool...let us know!
Sorry it took me months to respond. My buddy has been very busy with the Butte Fire recovery and coordinating with USFS and other agencies to remove trees killed by the drought.

My buddy now says the quarry on Camp 9 Rd. is most likely BLM land that was leased to the Heidelberg Corp. for their quarry operation. BLM manages a good deal of the land in that area. He simply doesn't have the time to make further inquiries.

I started a thread about the quarry this morning.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1228526