Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > 209 Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 AM
facultatem excelsis
CGN Contributor

Still need help with range cleanup? I've never been to Jamestown, but I see I'm only an hour away.

I can't haul trash away but I can help pick up.
Old 05-13-2014, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
Still need help with range cleanup? I've never been to Jamestown, but I see I'm only an hour away.

I can't haul trash away but I can help pick up.
Like any BLM land, you can always find some trash to pick up. But the first cleanup did a bang-up job. Now it is just the day to day cleanup that can use assistance whenever you visit.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 PM
facultatem excelsis
CGN Contributor

Crud, I learned of this effort to late to contribute. I'm glad you guys were able to get your shooting spot in better shape.

It's pretty far for me to pay a visit on my own but PM me if you are organizing anything else.
Old 05-25-2014, 5:15 PM

GOOD JOB!!! I made a visit to this spot for the first time to shoot some first time reloads for me in 40S&W. And the spot looks really clean of obvious trash. I was happy to pick up a bunch of brass!
Old 05-26-2014, 5:56 AM

Looking forward to checking this place out, probably will not be green though.

1911Tuner (That one's my own. I'm a rescuer. It's What I do.)
Old 06-16-2014, 4:59 PM

Default Jamestown Newb

Hi guys. New to shooting up the Sierra and this place looks like a great spot. Can anyone comment on how far back they go on this land? I'm going this saturday and anticipate a crowd. Wondering if we can share the area or if I may need to go a little further back on the land.
Old 06-16-2014, 8:30 PM

Default Jamestown BLM Land Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardflip177 View Post
Hi guys. New to shooting up the Sierra and this place looks like a great spot. Can anyone comment on how far back they go on this land? I'm going this saturday and anticipate a crowd. Wondering if we can share the area or if I may need to go a little further back on the land.
I don't know how far back the actual shooting area goes. I went up there for the first time last week (during the week). I learned a few things about the area on this first trip. I'll share them here hoping they help someone else.

1 - To get through the gate, you don't have but about a foot clearance between the fence and a post that is in the center of the path (assumedly there to keep motorcycles out). If you take some kind of a cart (which I did) to pack all your stuff on, you'll probably have to hand stuff through (or under) the vehicle gate then walk around to the other side to load your cart.

2 - The parking area is significantly higher (100 feet?) than the shooting area so you walk downhill on the way in. After spending several hours there (by myself) and raking up a bag of my own and other people's junk, I started to pack all this stuff out in the late afternoon. UGH! The uphill climb just didn't cut it for me and the added bulk of what I was packing out made this a cartload plus. So I had to hopscotch the two loads up to the car which really sucked. If you are young and fit, this might not be a big deal. I am neither. A word to the wise...

3 - Given that nobody else was there, I didn't know where to shoot. I walked around for a while looking to see what I could. Once you go down the hill, there is another rise in the property. On the other side of the rise is a little depression (like a dried up pond). It was obvious people were shooting in this depression as there was a bunch of garbage left behind (targets, empty casings and shells, etc.).

4 - On my way out, I ran into a local guy who was familiar with the area. He said most people shoot a bit beyond the aforementioned rise as well as in the depression. My guess is the distance is a couple hundred yards beyond the gate before you start up the rise and maybe a total of 300 yards to the shooting area.

5 - The trees offer only filtered shade. Don't forget sunscreen and a hat.

6 - Take plenty of water. I did and I drank almost all of it by myself!

7 - Apparently the last property on the road before the gate is the residence of a Tuolumne County Deputy Sheriff. Don't be stupid up there.

8 - I don't think I would go by myself up there again. If I ever go there again, I'll take someone with me (or arrange to meet someone there).

9 - Cell service (AT&T) seemed to be surprisingly good out there. That was the only consolation I had about being up there all day by myself.

10 - At the bottom of the hill there is a significant pile of garbage--several pickup loads. With the gate locked (for obvious reasons), nobody can get in there to clean the area up. Somebody from BLM should make themselves available for a clean-up crew.

11 - I took a rake and a shovel to help clean up but didn't really need either of them. They just added to the load.

12 - Coordinates (according to my iPhone) are: 3758'30"n, 12029'6"w

That's the sum of my limited knowledge on this place. Other than the hike out, it was a good day. BLM, thank you for making this area available to shooters.
Old 06-16-2014, 9:26 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great info. Feels a lot better now knowing the ins/outs of the area.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromWinton View Post
I don't know how far back the actual shooting area goes. I went up there for the first time last week (during the week). I learned a few things about the area on this first trip. I'll share them here hoping they help someone else.

1 - To get through the gate, you don't have but about a foot clearance between the fence and a post that is in the center of the path (assumedly there to keep motorcycles out). If you take some kind of a cart (which I did) to pack all your stuff on, you'll probably have to hand stuff through (or under) the vehicle gate then walk around to the other side to load your cart.

2 - The parking area is significantly higher (100 feet?) than the shooting area so you walk downhill on the way in. After spending several hours there (by myself) and raking up a bag of my own and other people's junk, I started to pack all this stuff out in the late afternoon. UGH! The uphill climb just didn't cut it for me and the added bulk of what I was packing out made this a cartload plus. So I had to hopscotch the two loads up to the car which really sucked. If you are young and fit, this might not be a big deal. I am neither. A word to the wise...

3 - Given that nobody else was there, I didn't know where to shoot. I walked around for a while looking to see what I could. Once you go down the hill, there is another rise in the property. On the other side of the rise is a little depression (like a dried up pond). It was obvious people were shooting in this depression as there was a bunch of garbage left behind (targets, empty casings and shells, etc.).

4 - On my way out, I ran into a local guy who was familiar with the area. He said most people shoot a bit beyond the aforementioned rise as well as in the depression. My guess is the distance is a couple hundred yards beyond the gate before you start up the rise and maybe a total of 300 yards to the shooting area.

5 - The trees offer only filtered shade. Don't forget sunscreen and a hat.

6 - Take plenty of water. I did and I drank almost all of it by myself!

7 - Apparently the last property on the road before the gate is the residence of a Tuolumne County Deputy Sheriff. Don't be stupid up there.

8 - I don't think I would go by myself up there again. If I ever go there again, I'll take someone with me (or arrange to meet someone there).

9 - Cell service (AT&T) seemed to be surprisingly good out there. That was the only consolation I had about being up there all day by myself.

10 - At the bottom of the hill there is a significant pile of garbage--several pickup loads. With the gate locked (for obvious reasons), nobody can get in there to clean the area up. Somebody from BLM should make themselves available for a clean-up crew.

11 - I took a rake and a shovel to help clean up but didn't really need either of them. They just added to the load.

12 - Coordinates (according to my iPhone) are: 3758'30"n, 12029'6"w

That's the sum of my limited knowledge on this place. Other than the hike out, it was a good day. BLM, thank you for making this area available to shooters.
Thanks for the informative post. That really pisses me off that there is that much garbage there. It wasn't there about 3-4 weeks ago when I was there with my son.

I've made a little map to make it easier for newbies to the area. It's nearly 1000 feet northwest from the gate, and as said you have to go down 100 ft and then probably back up another 40 feet in elevation. There is a nice shade tree to set up under just before a large open field that you can get 150 yards out of.

Be aware of the property boundaries of the BLM. Look them up here:
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

Here is how I set up the map layers (Yellow highlighting is BLM, the hash marks indicate rangeland - and there are cattle out here, so don't shoot near them, scout the area):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jamestown-geocommunicator.jpg (100.5 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg Jamestown.jpg (74.1 KB, 753 views)

Last edited by Jason95357; 06-16-2014 at 10:36 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 3:43 PM

Default Maps of Jamestown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
Thanks for the informative post. That really pisses me off that there is that much garbage there. It wasn't there about 3-4 weeks ago when I was there with my son.

I've made a little map to make it easier for newbies to the area. It's nearly 1000 feet northwest from the gate, and as said you have to go down 100 ft and then probably back up another 40 feet in elevation. There is a nice shade tree to set up under just before a large open field that you can get 150 yards out of.
Wow, that's great info. Thanks for the maps and the link to the BLM's mapping site. Huh...maybe our tax dollars are paying for something useful after all!
Old 06-20-2014, 7:52 PM

If anyone is planning on cleaning the area up I would be glad to help.
I usually shoot out there 3 or 4 times a year.
Old 06-21-2014, 8:11 AM

I'm heading up there today.
Old 06-25-2014, 6:43 PM

I went up Sunday. Kids picked up a big bag of shotgun casings and brass under the nice shade tree. There is a big pill of junk (2-3 pick-up truck loads) on the way to the shade tree. It's rather frustrating, but just be sure to bring a trash bag or two and pick up at least twice as much as you shoot and it'll still be improving.

That means packing your targets back home too. We bought back a bit of a collection of paper and cardboard targets that were in the field.

</rant>

Oh, and don't shoot a steel plate target rated for 9mm with an AR. It's no match for 5.56 ;-)
Old 06-26-2014, 8:03 PM

Went up friday and saturday last weekend. Picked up four bags of trash. Great spot but just way too much for me to pick up.
Old 07-05-2014, 6:46 PM

WARNING!!! Went there this weekend and there were yellow signs on the trees in the parking area that said "Safety Zone NO SHOOTING". What a bummer!!! It's a great spot and I haven't had any problems yet. Does anyone know what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2014, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardflip177 View Post
WARNING!!! Went there this weekend and there were yellow signs on the trees in the parking area that said "Safety Zone NO SHOOTING". What a bummer!!! It's a great spot and I haven't had any problems yet. Does anyone know what happened?

Do you think that applied to only the parking area?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 AM

Edit: the signs are just about this regulation: "GC 3004 It is unlawful for any person to hunt or discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith.*The 150 yard area is a 'Safety Zone'."

As there is a house 150 yards by the parking, this is the reason for the signage.

I contacted the BLM last time these signs appeared and they said unless it is posted on their website, there is no prohibition on hunting or target practice for the entire area, just where the signs are. I print out the website listing the closures each time I go (with a time/date stamp below) just in case I need to show it is not a closed area.

See the Closure link on this page:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/hunting.html

Mind you that non-BLM staff enforce that area too (CA Fish and Game, etc.), so just be polite and state the info on hand and show them the closure print out which doesn't list Jamestown/French Flat Rd.

Last edited by Jason95357; 07-06-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Old 07-06-2014, 6:57 PM

Default Print-out of Posted BLM Closure Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I print out the website listing the closures each time I go (with a time/date stamp below) just in case I need to show it is not a closed area.

See the Closure link on this page:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folsom/hunting.html

Mind you that non-BLM staff enforce that area too (CA Fish and Game, etc.), so just be polite and state the info on hand and show them the closure print out which doesn't list Jamestown/French Flat Rd.
That's a great idea. It never occurred to me to print something like this out and tote it with me when shooting. I can see with multiple agencies trying to enforce shooting regulations that there might be a tad bit of confusion between agencies. Of course this type of interagency confusion only resides in our imaginations, right?
Old 08-09-2014, 6:28 AM

I had no clue about this place. the wife and I will have to make it out there.
Old 08-09-2014, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBrowning View Post
I had no clue about this place. the wife and I will have to make it out there.
I hope you take the time to report your experience here.
Old 01-01-2015, 7:40 PM

I am from Modesto, CA and I am fairly new to BLM land target shooting. I have been researching about where to go and it seems James town is the closest place to go.. I am heading there tomorrow to Check it out with a friend. I will definitely contribute to the clean up when ever I go out there for target practice.. Thanks very much for the info.
Old 01-12-2015, 9:28 PM

This this place still good to go for shooting? I want to go check it out and haul a few trash bags of trash away
Old 01-13-2015, 9:08 AM

As far as I know, yes. There are signs on the trees by the end of road about a safety zone and no shooting, but they only mean the 150 yards distance from buildings (as there is a house near there).
Old 01-15-2015, 4:10 PM

Went out there today and enjoyed a few hours of shooting but the place needs a good clean up. I did take a couple of trash bags out but needs a lot more.
Old 01-15-2015, 4:40 PM

Thanks, Rob. I have way too much going on now to do a full-day clean-up that is needed, but every bag or two helps! Hopefully in the summer we can coordinate a big cleanup. Shoot, maybe I'll even throw a burgers and dogs BBQ for everyone coming out to help.
Old 01-17-2015, 1:35 PM

Live in riverbank. I'm down for a meet up.and clean with local calguners
Old 01-21-2015, 9:23 PM

I live in Riverbank and generally head up to Candy Rock but this is closer. I am with you Lost.In.Cali, I will help.
Old 01-22-2015, 7:13 PM

Just a thought what about maybe dropping off a few(2-3) drums for trash with bags and maybe people just drop their trash off and if it's full empty it. Wouldn't go as smooth as it sounds obviously but it's a thought
Old 01-23-2015, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
Just a thought what about maybe dropping off a few(2-3) drums for trash with bags and maybe people just drop their trash off and if it's full empty it. Wouldn't go as smooth as it sounds obviously but it's a thought
That's a great idea. I gifted my brother an AR yesterday and drove up to El Dorado (Finning Mill Rd.) to zero; it was very trashed.

He wants to bring up drums.

I'll see what I can find. I've never been to Jamestown shooting area, could you link me or point me in the right direction.
Old 01-23-2015, 8:31 AM

We spend quite a bit of time up in that area. Although we have never been to this location I am always looking for a place to shoot. If something is planned for a cleanup I will help out. And if we do get a chance to just head out there I will bring a few extra trash bags to do what I can, even if its just to change the bags out in the new drums.
Old 01-23-2015, 6:38 PM

If you drop off drums some douche bags will just shoot them up too. I'm down to help with a clean up. I'll try to monitor this thread for updates.
Old 03-09-2015, 8:21 AM

I live about 6 miles from there and its a nice to go shoot but all the inbred rednecks trash the place. I will be going out there within a few weeks.

NRA Lifetime Member SAF Lifetime Member
Old 03-18-2015, 5:22 PM

down for a clean up if someone is organizing it. Maybe set up to have a BLM person there to open the gate and let us drive in for trash? I think someone was trying to do that in the past, but I don't have a contact at BLM

Craig
Old 03-18-2015, 8:02 PM

I'm also from riverbank, and would be willing to help if my schedule permits.
Old 03-19-2015, 4:19 AM

In up to help clean.
Old 03-25-2015, 4:12 PM

Anyone going up there anytime soon?
Old 03-27-2015, 6:39 AM

I recently was accepted as a member at the Motherlode Gun Club, so I won't be using BLM land much these days. However, I never want to lose a single public shooting location, so I am always down to help clean up.

Speaking of clean-ups, there is one scheduled for Hunter Valley BLM on Sat., April 12th. I will post more details when I am at my PC (watch the 209 section).
Old 04-02-2015, 7:19 PM

It's this still a viable spot to shoot. I've got a boy scout who needs to practice for his rifle merit badge this summer at camp. Being a boy scout he'd love to clean up.
Old 04-03-2015, 7:14 PM

hey buddy there is going to be a Jamestown clean up tomorrow at 10. I don't
know.if u have a Facebook but this is.the page. I saw ur post on the 209 subforum. if u need more info.message.me . thanks

https://m.facebook.com/events/1545711135694078?acontext=%7B"ref"%3A3%7D&aref=3
Old 04-04-2015, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately I'm working this weekend, I work every other weekend. I have Facebook and the link is not working on my phone I'll try at home tonight on a computer. I am gonna try and go Monday with a friend.