Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-03-2021, 6:10 AM

Default Top Gun match

The registration for Titan Ballistics Top Gun match is open. September 9-12. Saw this on another forum.
Old 06-03-2021, 8:35 AM

can't find it on practiscore. link?
Old 06-03-2021, 8:37 AM

https://practiscore.com/the-titan-ba...hip-1/register

Down to 40 slots as of this post.
Old 06-03-2021, 9:09 AM

thanks got through
Old 06-03-2021, 7:55 PM

Are you guys shooting A2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2021, 11:26 PM

I am. A lot of money but I've never been able to get in before. I've shot Western States SS several times. I didn't spend much last year having to cancel to take care of mom. Also shooting Oregon state and Oregon open.
Old 06-04-2021, 1:17 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Is it worth $200?
Old 06-04-2021, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
Are you guys shooting A2?

I have never been lucky enough to get in. It is always full within like 10 min
Old 06-04-2021, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
I have never been lucky enough to get in. It is always full within like 10 min
This will be my 1st time.

Old 06-04-2021, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
This will be my 1st time.

This year it is also on my 20th anniversary. Don't think this is my wife's idea of a romantic get-a-way....
Old 06-04-2021, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Is it worth $200?
Free lunch and T-shirt included!
Old 06-04-2021, 7:51 AM

When I go to the bigger matches that is the extent of my vacation during the year. Some are fairly close with 1 night in a hotel. The Area 2 match is a lot farther and I might take an extra day on the way to stop and look around. More nights in a hotel. I'm retired. We live pretty thriftilly (is that a word) other then my shooting hobby. My wife is glad I have something to keep me occupied. She gets a few days on her own to do things on our 3 acres, including a couple of milk goats.

I enjoy the experience of seeing and sometimes shooting with national and world champion shooters and meeting other shooters. Some matches are held in areas that are great to visit. I'm 68 and plan on continuing while I'm still able to run around and have fun. At some point I'll probably stick to local matches. Also I retired with our house and property paid off, no car payments and no credit card debt. Wife still working as she's a little younger. So far still having a great time.
Old 06-04-2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Is it worth $200?
Fair question. They are set for 12 stages plus chronograph. This will be my 3rd Top Gun and I also shot the Gunsta Cup.

The range as a whole has good experience with running Level 2 matches.

I found last year's stages to be pretty good considering that many of the bays have hesco walls on the side--majority of shooting is focused towards the back berm. They do mix up the movement. Last year there was a "retreating" stage and opportunities to "shortcut" outside of the fault lines. They also incorporate some hard leans. I don't recall very many activators/sequences . . .maybe one or two per match.

The surface is gravel and the mix of low targets presents its own challenge: dust obscuring the targets.

This will also be in September, so it's likely to be in the 90s+. But fear not, there are giant fans and they do a great job keeping the coolers stocked with ice and water (bring a cooling towel and use the tap/spigot).

The only critique I would offer is the prize table. They did have the random draw at the end whereas some level 2's have either given you the prize at registration or during the match--A buddy of mine got a 750 and I ended up with a bottle of Bourbon at Golden Bullet . . . a good way to drown out the 8 mikes I had

Here's last year's Top Gun for those who haven't made a trip out to Rankin Field.

Gunsta Cup IV. Good view of the dust challenge at 4:05 (I ended up with a mike on steel since I relied on audible feedback)
Some loose gravel pockets causing a not so elegant push-off at 2:45 (by the way, that is probably my favorite stage of any match I shot there)

And a bit of drift action at a local there some year ago around the 2:35 mark

My "old saying" when it comes to majors in the heat and dust of Rankin:
"To win at Rankin Field, you also have to win against Rankin Field"

Granted, I'm from the coast so . . . everywhere is hot as hell.

Anyway, I hope that helps with your decision.
Old 06-04-2021, 4:17 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez805 View Post
Fair question. They are set for 12 stages plus chronograph. This will be my 3rd Top Gun and I also shot the Gunsta Cup.

The range as a whole has good experience with running Level 2 matches.

I found last year's stages to be pretty good considering that many of the bays have hesco walls on the side--majority of shooting is focused towards the back berm. They do mix up the movement. Last year there was a "retreating" stage and opportunities to "shortcut" outside of the fault lines. They also incorporate some hard leans. I don't recall very many activators/sequences . . .maybe one or two per match.

The surface is gravel and the mix of low targets presents its own challenge: dust obscuring the targets.

This will also be in September, so it's likely to be in the 90s+. But fear not, there are giant fans and they do a great job keeping the coolers stocked with ice and water (bring a cooling towel and use the tap/spigot).

The only critique I would offer is the prize table. They did have the random draw at the end whereas some level 2's have either given you the prize at registration or during the match--A buddy of mine got a 750 and I ended up with a bottle of Bourbon at Golden Bullet . . . a good way to drown out the 8 mikes I had

Thanks for the input. I'm still on the fence over the "value" of the match. That's a lot of money unless they are going to have a killer prize table.
Old 06-05-2021, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Free lunch and T-shirt included!

Why didn't anyone post that until now?
Old 06-05-2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm still on the fence over the "value" of the match. That's a lot of money unless they are going to have a killer prize table.
Gryff,
I have shot it the last few years. Roadrunner is better for that area, but Top Gun is ok. All our our mutual buddies (from RRGC) would tell you that our bi-weekly matches present a harder challenge. Since we both shot GBC, there is no comparison between GBC and Top Gun. I would shoot GBC if the prize table just had salt.

I go to this match because it's a level 2 and there is the chance to shoot against some really good guys and see how you match up. For me, I don't really care about the match fee. I don't think the tee shirt vs the jersey from RoadRunner or the BBQ is a deal breaker. I will tell you one thing. Every time, the county sheriff does the into and is fully 2A supportive. They have a honor guard bring the flag for the pledge. Things like that I really miss living in Marin.
Old 06-05-2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Gryff,

I have shot it the last few years. Roadrunner is better for that area, but Top Gun is ok. All our our mutual buddies (from RRGC) would tell you that our bi-weekly matches present a harder challenge. Since we both shot GBC, there is no comparison between GBC and Top Gun. I would shoot GBC if the prize table just had salt.

I go to this match because it's a level 2 and there is the chance to shoot against some really good guys and see how you match up. For me, I don't really care about the match fee. I don't think the tee shirt vs the jersey from RoadRunner or the BBQ is a deal breaker. I will tell you one thing. Every time, the county sheriff does the into and is fully 2A supportive. They have a honor guard bring the flag for the pledge. Things like that I really miss living in Marin.
My buddies have given me mixed reviews of the match. Some say it's a great match while others say its OK. I considered shooting it but I may have plans for that time so passing on it.

Old 06-05-2021, 7:46 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
For me, I don't really care about the match fee.
I wish I could say the same! My business' revenues were down 40% last year, and are now down 50% from 2020! If I hadn't stocked up on reloading supplies, I'd be seriously depressed right now. But match fees...oy...for almost $200 it needs to be compelling. Agree that GBC is almost always worth it.
Old 06-06-2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I wish I could say the same! My business' revenues were down 40% last year, and are now down 50% from 2020! If I hadn't stocked up on reloading supplies, I'd be seriously depressed right now. But match fees...oy...for almost $200 it needs to be compelling. Agree that GBC is almost always worth it.
Sorry, didn't mean to completely dismiss the match fee. My business has been OK this year. Good enough that I was able to sponsor at GBC. For these types of matches, it is more about the hotel and meals and the time off from work.
Old 06-06-2021, 7:52 PM

This will be my first year out at Top Gun. Before this year, I didn't travel for any USPSA Major matches. I usually kept my vacation days for Multigun Majors down at Pro Gun Club.

RR and GBC were both pretty good matches and from watching REZ805's video, I am looking forward to a pretty solid match. Not to mention, it looks like CO is going to be right behind Open for attendance. To be honest, I am really surprised that there is not more PCC shooters signed up.
Old 08-02-2021, 5:41 PM

And now it has been postponed until next year...

Quote:
Good morning everyone,

Rankin Field Weapons Range is in the middle of construction on one of the bays that we need for the match, and the new scheduled completion date is well after the match. I apologize, but the best course of action for you (the shooters) is to reschedule Top Gun for May 26-29, 2022. This will give you all plenty of time to plan ahead and prepare for the new date. Those of you that want to commit to this new date, and don't request a refund, will be entered into a separate random raffle for some killer prizes. Those of you that would like a refund instead, we will process them for you.

I tried to go over all the options I could in order to avoid this, but I want the best experience possible for you and the only way to ensure this is to go this route. Thanks again for your support with this match, and I look forward to seeing you in 2022!

Best,

J.R. Guerra
Match Director
Old 08-03-2021, 6:27 AM

Dang. That's a bummer since there were close to 300 signed up. And only a month away.
Old 08-03-2021, 7:28 AM

Yeah. Got the e mail. Things happen. Just shot the Oregon Open last weekend and Top Gun was next. I'll go next year. Next larger match now is the SS/Production Grid Iron.
Old 08-03-2021, 7:59 AM

I'm definitely excited about the Grid Iron. Mason Lane said that he's shooting it and teaching a class afterwards.
https://practiscore.com/events/pract...cipants/create

It's not every day that we have an opportunity to get destroyed by a perennial National Title Contender and National Champion, so I'm definitely in.

And the "hospitality" aspect is nice (snacks delivered to you).