Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-04-2021, 6:25 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
The overwhelming majority of people who live in L.A. County who want a CCW will still not be able to get one. While I am glad that a few more people are able to obtain a CCW I will still stand by my original statement, which is that if you truly want a CCW in California that you should move to ANY bordering county and as long as you meet the minimum standards you will be issued a permit. Carry on!
Wrong. Based on my own observations and experiences, I believe that each and every person who wants a CCW in LA County can now get one. In light of recent developments, I believe that the process is now on par with most other Southern California counties (Riverside is probably still the easiest at this point). I also believe that you will get your permit faster in LA County than in other surrounding counties (especially if you live in a locale where you can apply to LASD directly).

I stand by the advice given by CCWFacts and myself a few months ago, back around post numbers 1668-1677. Put the work in to make a detailed good cause statement. Merely stating "self-defense" will still not work - and again, this doesn't work either for most other Southern California counties. I have heard from one person this week that the deputy even helped the applicant determine what documentation would be helpful in establishing good cause. While I won't go all the way to say that LASD will help coach you in crafting a good cause statement, the attitude is clearly more of a helpful rather than an adversarial role at this point.

Just to underscore speed, I spoke to another individual this week who was brought in to interview only two days after being contacted that his original denial was reconsidered, and LASD even provided physical copies of the LiveScan paperwork on the spot (indicating that the good cause was approved right then and there). I don't know what implication this has for new applications, but again, it appears that there is an urgency to move things through now that LASD has become more comfortable with their process.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 03-04-2021, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARES View Post
I want to apply but I’m not sure if my good cause will be even considered. (ie, I go hiking in areas where I constantly see warning of bears and wild life and have even seen bear feces)
Take pics of such and submit articles of animal attacks. Does NOT have to be the areas you frequent; just general increase of attacks. A friend and I used the exact same articles and were both approved (SD County). You want to use GENERAL hiking, not specific areas.
Old 03-04-2021, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Sounds good! So you take pictures of the Warning Signs and then print out article of animal attacks and thing of the nature?
Yes. I used, IIRC, 4 articles. Pictures of the bear leftovers might be quite convincing
Old 03-04-2021, 9:46 AM

To anyone who has been issued or is close to someone who has been: Can we confirm or deny the whether LASD permits carrying magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds, or if they will approve firearms that have had aftermarket work done to them (ie, slides milled for RMR and/or forward serrations, etc)? I know we have had some “AFAIKs” and “IIRCs” regarding the topic, but a someone with current, firsthand experience on getting firearms listed on their license may provide some better insight.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedsoyboy View Post
To anyone who has been issued or is close to someone who has been: Can we confirm or deny the whether LASD permits carrying magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds, or if they will approve firearms that have had aftermarket work done to them (ie, slides milled for RMR and/or forward serrations, etc)? I know we have had some “AFAIKs” and “IIRCs” regarding the topic, but a someone with current, firsthand experience on getting firearms listed on their license may provide some better insight.
Permit only lists the three guns that you pick out to put on there. You have to qualify with all three when you do your training. LASD did not check any of the firearms, nor ask what condition they were in before putting them on the permit. The only guidance provided is the following: "The handgun, magazines, and ammunition must be in compliance with applicable CA state and federal laws." (Oh, and they also specifically say no AR Pistols. . .which is a shame, because I had the perfect ankle holster, lol)

I know it doesn't help much but until someone gets an actual response from the CCW unit regarding this question, that is all we have to go on. And in this case, maybe leaving it vague is in our favor since technically "freedom week/ standard cap" mags are legally owned and in compliance with state (although not some city laws) and federal laws. And most aftermarket work is also in compliance with state and federal laws.

Last edited by phantomx48; 03-04-2021 at 11:01 AM..
Old 03-04-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomx48 View Post
LASD did not check any of the firearms, nor ask what condition they were in before putting them on the permit.
This is helpful! Definitely an indicator that they’re not concerned with minor modifications, as long as you qualify with the pistol in the configuration you intend to carry it.

Quote:
The only guidance provided is the following: "The handgun, magazines, and ammunition must be in compliance with applicable CA state and federal laws."
That is what I have been going on as well. To me, it seems that as long as you legally acquired and possess said handgun, magazine, and ammunition, it’s GTG in terms of carry.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is helpful! Definitely an indicator that they’re not concerned with minor modifications, as long as you qualify with the pistol in the configuration you intend to carry it.

That is what I have been going on as well. To me, it seems that as long as you legally acquired and possess said handgun, magazine, and ammunition, it’s GTG in terms of carry.
That’s my take on it as well. No restriction implies you can use.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Old 03-04-2021, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Question: if I live in Hollywood, do I need to apply with LAPD first, then if I get denied, apply again with LASD?

Old 03-04-2021, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankarian View Post
Question: if I live in Hollywood, do I need to apply with LAPD first, then if I get denied, apply again with LASD?

Make an appointment with LAPD now. I made mine in feb for a first available in April. If you’re in Hollywood you’re under LAPD. Ive tried to find out If LASD has a method of understanding (MOU) LASD but it looks like it’s LAPD first then take your denial to LASD. West Hollywood would be direct to LASD if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo818 View Post
West Hollywood would be direct to LASD if I’m not mistaken.

That is correct. Which is making me really consider applying, one less hoop to jump through.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo818 View Post
Make an appointment with LAPD now. I made mine in feb for a first available in April. If you’re in Hollywood you’re under LAPD. Ive tried to find out If LASD has a method of understanding (MOU) LASD but it looks like it’s LAPD first then take your denial to LASD. West Hollywood would be direct to LASD if I’m not mistaken.

Thanks!
How do I schedule an appointment?
Is there an online page? A phone number to call?

Old 03-05-2021, 6:30 PM

Do Santa Monica residents need to get denied by Santa Monica PD first or do they apply directly to LASO?

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 03-05-2021, 7:19 PM

You will first need to schedule an appointment to drop off your application.

213-486-5360 Call this number and ask for the CCW department. Most appointments now are 2 months out.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 9:31 PM

Question for those who have been through the process with is the total money spent for the process (ie app fee, livescan, training)
Old 03-05-2021, 9:48 PM

https://www.lapdonline.org/get_infor...sic_view/48213
Old 03-06-2021, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Do Santa Monica residents need to get denied by Santa Monica PD first or do they apply directly to LASO?
You apply directly with LASD.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Another CGNer got a LASD CCW last week

Another CGNer got a LASD CCW last week. It took 5 weeks total, but would have been only 4 if they hadn’t been out of town. They have Dark Red GC. They were asked 3x if they were a business owner so believe all business owners (Light Red) who want one should apply.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-06-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-06-2021, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Another CGNer got a LASD CCW last week

Another CGNer got a LASD CCW last week. So that’s 2 last week.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Last week in one day I got PMs from 3 CGNers (one Light Green or Yellow, depending upon how they interpret it; one Yellow and one Light Red GC), saying LASD called asking if still interested in applying. Got a PM from a 4th a few days later saying the same.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-06-2021 at 11:42 AM..
Old 03-06-2021, 11:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation LASD accepts Light Green GC for 2 applicants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBum View Post
I am going to say no. Two of the people I spoke to this week had no employment risks at all in their good cause statements. The good cause had to do with other types of activities, namely outdoor activities in remote areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Let us know if he gets approved. This would be interesting as this is more in the ‘light green’ category.
EXACTLY!!!

From last November:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Upon further reflection there’s really no reason for Light Green applicants (recreational risks: regularly hiking in isolated areas, transporting multiple guns & ammo to and from ranges) and Dark Green applicants (daily/routine risks: filling up gas tank in bad parts of town, withdrawing cash at ATM late at night), not to apply with LASD and at least try to get a CCW. A GC denial does not hurt your future applications and other than not accepting mere “self defense” for GC, we do not know how far AV has liberalized GC. Applying and getting a GC decision only costs $10, so go for it and let us know how it goes. Again, you can share your experience through me if you prefer to stay anonymous.

ETA: for more details on what qualifies under what colors, see post #31 in my CCW Application Advice thread at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

ETA2: if you get denied you can just try again if/when AV liberalizes GC more, probably after 2021 July 01 when “Reimagine Policing/LA” (Measure J) budget cuts kick in.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-07-2021 at 8:46 AM..
Old 03-06-2021, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2cobur View Post
The sheriff had another Facebook live today. Stated...”to date, 1434 applied, 460 issued”. He also encouraged people to apply and directed them to their website.
Before AV, did a LA sheriff EVER encourage residents to apply for a CCW???
Old 03-06-2021, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Another Light Green GC accepted

Quote:
Without going into to much detail, a friend who had a denial letter from LAPD was just approved and picked up her CCW from LASD with a good cause that amounted to being "a petite female who goes to the range a lot and has to drive around with firearms in her trunk". GC did not mention anything related to her work or any specific threats, dangerous activities, etc. From start to finish her application took only 4 weeks!!!
Another data point indicating Light Green applicants have a chance. Best for strongest Light Green applicants to try first. (Those without any GMC “drama” in their past, those with good evidence supporting their GC claims.)

Last edited by Paladin; 03-07-2021 at 8:49 AM..
Old 03-06-2021, 12:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil View Post
Quote:
Time for me to turn my attention to my own stomping ground, the SF Bay Area.

And everyone on this forum thread is grateful for the insight and information you've put so much time into providing. Thank you!
Quote:
Truly, thank you for all the hours of work and dedication you have put in for us down here.
You’re welcome.

LA Co has >10M people. IIRC, if it were a state it would have more people than 40 states and be tied with Michigan. That’s how important LA Co is. If winning it has that big of an impact on the nation, imagine its impact on our state and in trying to flip the SFBA counties. That’s why I put so much into LA Co.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-06-2021 at 12:19 PM..
Old 03-06-2021, 12:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation LASD accepted a Dark Green GC?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
I can not confirm, but during my livescan the guy administering the test said some of the previous people who were scanned had good cause along the lines of “I ride the bus to work and have been followed/threatened/felt unsafe”
Are you just yanking my chain??? Depending upon the specific facts, that could be either Dark Red or, more likely, Dark Green (daily routine risks).

You LA people need some clean GMC applicants with only Light or Dark Green GC to apply to see if they’ll pass. If they don’t they should consider reapplying in July after the budget cuts kick in.

I guess I’ll keep monitoring the situation in LA after all ....

Last edited by Paladin; 03-07-2021 at 8:50 AM..
Old 03-07-2021, 6:22 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Question for those who have been through the process with is the total money spent for the process (ie app fee, livescan, training)
Sheriff fees $30 + $120 = $150
Livescan = $125-ish
Training = $200-ish
CCW holsters/equipment = ???

You're looking at $500-ish to get the permit. Of course, you're only invested for $30 if you don't clear the good cause hurdle since all the rest comes after.

But don't forget that you'll need a good CCW holster, and you're probably going to end up trying a few before you find a set up that you really like. You will also need a lockbox for your vehicle for those instances where your destination does not allow firearms (post office, govt buildings, etc.).

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 03-07-2021, 9:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021...-a-s-policies/

I just found this article with a 4 min Laura Ingraham interview of AV. Sounds like things in LA Co are a disaster, with the DA opposing law enforcement and criminal punishment in principle. IMO things are going to get much worse before they get better. (Getting better assumes Gascon gets recalled and replaced by someone who supports capturing, prosecuting and punishing evildoers).

Hearing what’s going on in LA Co makes me think AV may have decided there’s no reason to wait until after the budget cuts to allow more people to defend themselves and avoid their CCW Unit from getting swamped come July by start issuing more now.

But that’s just my speculation. We’ll need more applicants with Light or Dark Green to apply to see if it is true.

ETA: that interview also shows why Sacto wants non LEOs to be able to run for sheriff: our CA LEO sheriffs are the only thing standing in the way of radical Leftists who want to replace our criminal justice system with some “restorative justice” or “racial justice” or other BS “justice” system.

ETA2: bottom line our LEO sheriffs are the only impediment to the Leftists turning the urban areas of CA into Portland....

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2021 at 8:47 AM..
Old 03-08-2021, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

Worth repeating: Last week we got our first reports of LA Co residents getting issued for Light Green Good Cause (recreational activities risks like hiking in wilderness or transporting guns & ammo to and from shooting ranges). We also heard of some people being issued for Dark Green GC (daily routine risks like feeling unsafe/threatened while commuting by bus).

IF TRUE, EVERYONE SHOULD APPLY!!!

We want to saturate the LA Co “market”, so to speak, with an ample “supply” of CCWers. It makes us ALL safer. Speaking for myself, I’d much rather some other CCWer come across a BG before I did.

If you do apply be sure to let the rest of us know how it goes by posting about it here or just PM me if you’d rather stay anonymous.

Quote:
I can not confirm, but during my livescan the guy administering the test said some of the previous people who were scanned had good cause along the lines of “I ride the bus to work and have been followed/threatened/felt unsafe”
Imagine if this is true: AV will have taken LA Co from Dark Red to Dark Green in ~9 months. Inconceivable!

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2021 at 9:40 AM..
Old 03-08-2021, 11:21 AM

When submitting an application, would we stick to just one good cause or use multiple?
Old 03-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Worth repeating: Last week we got our first reports of LA Co residents getting issued for Light Green Good Cause (recreational activities risks like hiking in wilderness or transporting guns & ammo to and from shooting ranges). We also heard of some people being issued for Dark Green GC (daily routine risks like feeling unsafe/threatened while commuting by bus).

IF TRUE, EVERYONE SHOULD APPLY!!!

We want to saturate the LA Co “market”, so to speak, with an ample “supply” of CCWers. It makes us ALL safer. Speaking for myself, I’d much rather some other CCWer come across a BG before I did.

If you do apply be sure to let the rest of us know how it goes by posting about it here or just PM me if you’d rather stay anonymous.

Imagine if this is true: AV will have taken LA Co from Dark Red to Dark Green in ~9 months. Inconceivable!
Seriously, Big Jake really needs to be eating that crow right about now.
Old 03-08-2021, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoootA View Post
When submitting an application, would we stick to just one good cause or use multiple?
I recently did my firearm training. One person in the class said he listed 8-10 reasons and they picked one of them. He was surprised they used the one they did but he didn’t tell me exactly which one it was. Based on that very limited sample size, I would say list them all. I have yet to hear if LA county making you rewrite your GC, like other counties do, so it really doesn’t hurt to list them all.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2021, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2cobur View Post
I recently did my firearm training. One person in the class said he listed 8-10 reasons and they picked one of them. He was surprised they used the one they did but he didn’t tell me exactly which one it was. Based on that very limited sample size, I would say list them all. I have yet to hear if LA county making you rewrite your GC, like other counties do, so it really doesn’t hurt to list them all.

Jeff
Yeah, I had 3 or 4 reasons but they focused on the employment related risks one it seems.
Old 03-08-2021, 7:44 PM

"You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take"
Old 03-09-2021, 3:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick237 View Post
Seriously, Big Jake really needs to be eating that crow right about now.
When L.A. County issues at the same level of EVERY county that is on its borders I will be impressed. Until then a few permits being issued with a county that has a population north of 12,000,000 does not impress me.

In any case I am glad a few people are being issued.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!
Old 03-09-2021, 8:16 AM

Those of you who livescanned, how long did it take? I submitted 10 days ago and the firearms portion of the livescan is still pending.
Old 03-09-2021, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Those of you who livescanned, how long did it take? I submitted 10 days ago and the firearms portion of the livescan is still pending.

Mine took about 10 days to complete

Old 03-09-2021, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osp05 View Post
You will first need to schedule an appointment to drop off your application.

213-486-5360 Call this number and ask for the CCW department. Most appointments now are 2 months out.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Appointment scheduled for June 1st.

Old 03-09-2021, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtheTaxMan View Post
Mine took about 10 days to complete

Thanks
Old 03-09-2021, 10:07 AM

I'm filling out my application now.
On pages 3 and 8, it asks for a "Witness Signature" and "Badge #".
If I'm mailing in the application, do I leave those blank?
Or do I go to a Sheriff's Station and have them sign it then mail it in? (If that's the case, do I wait to sign it until I'm at the station so they're actually witnessing me sign it?)

Also, it says on LASD's website there are required documents "to continue through the interview process" (driver's license, birth certificate, proof of residency). Those get turned in at the interview and not with the initial application, correct?

One last thing.. Does the Livescan application get sent in with the initial application?

Last edited by Jon1033; 03-09-2021 at 10:24 AM..
Old 03-09-2021, 10:21 AM

Add one more Calgunner to the approved permit list!

Big thanks to Palidin for spreading the word about the LASD CCW changes.

With dark red good cause, I've applied three times over the last decade with nothing to come of it but a form letter rejection.

The forth times the charm apparently. Five week from start to finish.

I'm going to write a thank you to Sheriff Villenueva as suggested and will do whatever I can to support him ($$$, yard signs, social media, family/friend influence, etc) on his upcoming reelection.

Last edited by smogcity; 03-09-2021 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-09-2021, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1033 View Post
I'm filling out my application now.
On pages 3 and 8, it asks for a "Witness Signature" and "Badge #".
If I'm mailing in the application, do I leave those blank?
Or do I go to a Sheriff's Station and have them sign it then mail it in? (If that's the case, do I wait to sign it until I'm at the station so they're actually witnessing me sign it?)

Also, it says on LASD's website there are required documents "to continue through the interview process" (driver's license, birth certificate, proof of residency). Those get turned in at the interview and not with the initial application, correct?

Go to the LASD.org/CCW page. It will tell you to sign, I had the same question.