Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-31-2019, 8:41 AM

I use Tite Group for 147's and 150's. I use Vectan 9.5 for 124's.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:40 AM

I use ww231
Old 05-31-2019, 11:15 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I use Titegroup because it has been reliable for me, and it is very economical. The downside is that it isn't the cleanest, and it can get a little smokey with coated bullets. To me, those are not significant issues.

I have a bunch of HP38/231 on hand for my .38SPL loads, but I need to give it a try in my 9mm. I hear that it only needs .2 to .3 more grains to achieve the same results I'm getting from TG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Ordered 8lbs of CFE Pistol from Brownell's with 1cent Hazmat, free shipping, no sales tax, and $6.23 cash back from Active Junky!
One thing I would recommend is to be careful about ordering large quantities of powder until you find a final recipe that works best for you. It might better to order a few 1# bottles of different powders to experiment a bit. On the other hand, certain powders are pretty easy to re-sell if you decide you aren't going to use the rest of it. CFE is probably one of these.

But once you find a powder you like, BUY A LOT OF IT. My goal is to have three years' worth of my chosen powder on hand at any one time, so that I don't have to sweat the next time we have an ammo/reloading components panic like we did a few years back. There were periods where you couldn't find popular powders for 4-6 months at a time.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:45 PM

Anyone use H-Universal. I ask cause I was given a sealed, 8# container and don't really know what to use it for. I load 9mm, 38 super, 38-357, and 454Casull. Not a lot of loading data for that powder out there.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlook View Post
for 9mm, powder cost will be the cheapest of the components.

Ive found Vihtavuori N320 to be the best all around for most pistols/pcc’s

super clean burning, meters well, and large volume, but high in power density.
super smokey with coated bullets

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 06-03-2019, 3:31 AM
Calguns Addict

I started with Unique, which is nice and "fluffy", w/no chance of a double-charge.

However, when pushing near NATO velocities, there was unburnt powder showers, even in a 4.921″ barrel.
Old 06-03-2019, 2:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouchelle View Post
Economically, Titegroup and Hi-Scor 700X are the cheapest per load for 9x19, but you need to be really careful not to overcharge.
I had a ton of 700x on hand when I started loading for 9mm. I tried it, and it works great. Super cheap, accurate, meters well in my Lee automeasure. Also, it fills up two-thirds of the case so I can easily see the powder charge before I seat the bullet on the last stage.

In fact, 700x works very well in a variety of pistol calibers. It's pretty much all I use for pistols except for 38 Special. It works well for that too, but when you get lower than four grains it starts to meter erratically. So, I use Bullseye for that caliber.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-03-2019, 7:16 PM

don't tell anyone but try clay dot
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Nobody uses Unique anymore?
I love Unique, but 9mm is one of the few pistol rounds I don't use it for...I prefer 231.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:54 AM

I've been a Titegroup user since I started reloading, never had issues with it. I use it for 9mm, .380ACP, .38spl, and .44spl.

The 9mm cycles my Glock just fine, and my Uzi. Surprised to hear people have trouble with it, it's always been great for me!

Also its pretty cheap, and the loads are smaller, so a pound goes a long way!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD7 View Post
I've been a Titegroup user since I started reloading, never had issues with it. I use it for 9mm, .380ACP, .38spl, and .44spl.

The 9mm cycles my Glock just fine, and my Uzi. Surprised to hear people have trouble with it, it's always been great for me!

Also its pretty cheap, and the loads are smaller, so a pound goes a long way!
It's always been great for countless USPSA, IPSC, and IDPA competitors as well.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief-7700 View Post
New reloaders should stay away from Titegroup, since there is a very narrow range between good and over pressure.
Also, it tends to cause lead fouling when used with plain cast bullets. And it leaves sooty scorching on the case mouth of brass.

That said, it is not position sensitive at low charge weights in spacious cases. I have used up multiple jugs of Titegroup, before switching to some even cheaper surplus powder.
Old 06-06-2019, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Usually WSF and Be-86.

231 is very popular, but be aware that it is temperature sensitive
WSF is a great powder that is often overlooked.
Old 06-12-2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrly View Post
Sports Pistol is the new Hotness, very simliar to N320 for a fraction of the price
That's what I've been using, my buddy got me hooked on Prima V but it's been so hard to find. Sport Pistol has been the next best thing for me.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I use Titegroup because it has been reliable for me, and it is very economical. The downside is that it isn't the cleanest, and it can get a little smokey with coated bullets. To me, those are not significant issues.
I reloaded for the 1st time in about 2-1/2 years. Forgot Titegroup was dirty in my handgun. I finished off some 124 gr. Berry's. I hear Titegroup being clean from other people using 115's (Possibly F/TMJ?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
One thing I would recommend is to be careful about ordering large quantities of powder until you find a final recipe that works best for you. It might better to order a few 1# bottles of different powders to experiment a bit. On the other hand, certain powders are pretty easy to re-sell if you decide you aren't going to use the rest of it. CFE is probably one of these.
I would say buy a 1lb at the local shop. There's multiple places in So Cal that sell powder in person. Then order in bulk online if there's no deals locally.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:44 AM

231/H38. Works great for 38, 9mm, 40sw and 45ACP. I also use it for mild 357mag. If I only had one powder for pistols it would be 231.

My favorite for 9mm is Power Pistol. You can make some flashy, hot and snappy loads with getting in to much trouble. Stay within documented loads and stay safe.