Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Default Aftermarket barrel for Ruger 10/22 take down

Tomorrow I’ll begin the 10 day wait on my Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I’ve got a magpul backpacker stock already, as well as a set of type 1 sling mount cups. (Magpul should have included this IMO). Anyway, the barrel is 18.5” and I’d like to get a 16” barrel for it. My gunsmith said he could cut the barrel, crown, thread and cut for the front sight…for $175. A fair price, but for that money I could buy an aftermarket barrel.

I have read a lot about Volquartsen, Kidd, Tactical Innovations and Tactical Solutions. They all seem to make great stuff, but is the advantage going to be a wash because of the take-down element? Or is it still a decent upgrade? I will definitely give the factory barrel a try, but I liked the overall feel of the 16” backpacker best. I had a large Brownells gift card and waited 5+ months for them to get the model I wanted, but opted for the next closest thing.

Would you recommend a certain manufacturer over another? I’m leaning towards Tac Sol, only because I like the way they look. So I’m open to suggestions. I’ll be shooting bulk ammo mostly. 36gr & 40gr various types of Federal, Winchester and CCI.

Can the optic mount be ran with the rear sight? The sights are another thing I’m thinking of changing out, but if the barrel mounted optic can’t work alongside the sights, I’ll most likely choose the optic. Is it worth the $55 mount to put the optic on the barrel?

Lastly, I typically like to upgrade my triggers and noticed the BX trigger by Ruger to be a seemingly good value. Would you recommend spending the money on a different one?

Any other suggestions for my build are welcome.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

These 10/22s can vacuum serious money. Almost like customizing a Glock.
lol
My 10/22 came with a threaded barrel and I like it. But for me if I get an additional barrel I’ll get the Tactical Solutions one that can still use that
Magpul barrel mount and has a permanent cage for a stock surpressor.
So the barrel is 12 inches or there-abouts.

See photo.

I added a extended safety release and a bolt release . And a buffer pin that’s plastic. Makes to report a little quieter.

The problem is no front site so optic only….

I installed a Holosun 510C GR green for my astigmatism.

Good luck
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-19-2021, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

My rifle looks exactly the same. Stainless with the FDIC’s backpacker stock. I have a Holosun red dot on my very expensive Glock. I was hoping to avoid that here. Budget seems to fly away on these builds. Lol.
Old 09-19-2021, 2:39 PM

I'd recommend shooting your current barrel to find the best ammo for your 10/22 and then asking yourself if its good enough for you. You could find that with the right ammo your 10/22 does everything you want. If so, then why not just have it cut down?

There is nothing to guarantee a 16" barrel from someplace will do any better for your needs. If you are printing paper all day or only, sure, a nice match match barrel might work but once you go to a heavier barrel there is that to consider unless you head for one of the real lightweight jobs and they can get very pricey.

If you are packing the 10/22 around and using it for the occasional squirrel or rabbit whatever will that much higher cost make a difference to the squirrel or entice you to take a 150 yard shot you otherwise wouldn't?

There are lots of things you can do to the 10/22 to gain consistency and with that some accuracy potential up to what it's capable of like a better trigger. If the barrel you have now works, I'd recommend just having it cut down.
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.
Old 09-19-2021, 6:33 PM

I bought a 10/22 takedown and have a backpacker stock waiting for it. I also bought a Tacsol TD VR - in red anodized.

The Tacsol barrels have fiber sights and the UTM Picatinny rail is “parted” down the middle so you can use them.

Plan to compare the pair for the forum.

NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist
Old 09-19-2021, 7:31 PM

I got the volquartsen td barrel with cantilever scope mount for my 10/22 td, not for more accuracy really but instead to be able to mount a scope without any concerns for poi shift after taking it down. It's a really nice barrel, and for the reason I wanted it it works brilliantly. The original 18.5 barrel I used the Magpul red dot mount on, and now I can switch between red dot and a 4x fixed scope (it really wants something with at least 4" eye relief, the Leupold fixed 4x works very well) in about 10 seconds by just swapping barrels.

I can't really comment too much about accuracy, I'm a mediocre shot at best, but it's definitely minute of critter out to 100 even in my hands even with crappy bulk pack ammo. Overall I'm very satisfied with the setup. I shudder to think of what I've got dumped into that rifle, but it's a ton of fun.
Old 09-20-2021, 4:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
I got the volquartsen td barrel with cantilever scope mount for my 10/22 td, not for more accuracy really but instead to be able to mount a scope without any concerns for poi shift after taking it down. It's a really nice barrel, and for the reason I wanted it it works brilliantly. The original 18.5 barrel I used the Magpul red dot mount on, and now I can switch between red dot and a 4x fixed scope (it really wants something with at least 4" eye relief, the Leupold fixed 4x works very well) in about 10 seconds by just swapping barrels.

I can't really comment too much about accuracy, I'm a mediocre shot at best, but it's definitely minute of critter out to 100 even in my hands even with crappy bulk pack ammo. Overall I'm very satisfied with the setup. I shudder to think of what I've got dumped into that rifle, but it's a ton of fun.
Same here. I’m wanting the 2nd barrel for similar reasons. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-20-2021, 8:17 AM

I have two FJ Feddersen bull barrels and I love them.

https://fjfeddersen.com/shop/

However I do not have a takedown so this post may be for naught.

Last edited by Ralston; 09-20-2021 at 8:20 AM..
Old 09-20-2021, 12:55 PM

Volquartsen Carbon Fiber Barrel

5/25/21: Request for interview
6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
10/11/21: Call to pickup
10/13/21: CCW permit picked up
Old 09-20-2021, 2:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That’s Excellent Jim….!! ^^^^^^

Fill us in on that scope and cantilever mount…..very nice..

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-20-2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
That’s Excellent Jim….!! ^^^^^^

Fill us in on that scope and cantilever mount…..very nice..
Thanks. Rail comes mounted from Volquartsen. https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/966

The scope is a Bushnell AR Optics 2-7x32 Drop Zone-22 BDC Rimfire Reticle Riflescope, nothing fancy but keeps zero with all the banging around in my backpack and putting together and taking apart of the Takedown.
Old 09-20-2021, 6:28 PM

How is the eye relief on that scope? My first choice for the volquartsen barrel was the primary arms 6x but that was definitely too short for me on the same setup.
Old 09-20-2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
How is the eye relief on that scope? My first choice for the volquartsen barrel was the primary arms 6x but that was definitely too short for me on the same setup.
At a published 3.7" of eye relief, I have not had issues getting on target. It appears to have been discontinued by Bushnell. It’s a fun plinker and is a designated bug-out rifle should the need arise.
Old 09-20-2021, 9:19 PM

FWIW my TD (std stainless) is not fussy with ammo. I only shoot 100 yds bench at the range with a knock off bipod. I have a bugbuster compact scope. Cantilever rail. Hoag rubber stock. Thumb hole type.
Very accurate at 100 yds. Tight groups. Boring accurate at 50 yds.
These are good rifles. Keeps accuracy in-between take downs.
I did upgrade to the bx trigger.
No big money but alot of bang for the buck!

Lots of alternative barrel choices!

Last edited by denpython; 09-20-2021 at 9:22 PM..
Old 09-21-2021, 12:48 AM

I don't have a takedown, but I do have a TacSol threaded barrel and love it. All the barrel manufacturers you mentioned make top-notch sub-MOA products.

The BX trigger is really good, excellent for the money, and I'd start with that. I also run a Romeo 5 red dot mounted on top of the receiver. I'd recommended it highly, if you don't need magnification. Once you use it, the iron sights become much less appealing. I bought my TacSol barrel with iron sights, but now I don't really care whether they are there or not. I don't use them at all.

Last edited by Handgunther; 09-21-2021 at 12:51 AM..
Old 09-21-2021, 4:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handgunther View Post
I don't have a takedown, but I do have a TacSol threaded barrel and love it. All the barrel manufacturers you mentioned make top-notch sub-MOA products.

The BX trigger is really good, excellent for the money, and I'd start with that. I also run a Romeo 5 red dot mounted on top of the receiver. I'd recommended it highly, if you don't need magnification. Once you use it, the iron sights become much less appealing. I bought my TacSol barrel with iron sights, but now I don't really care whether they are there or not. I don't use them at all.
Thanks for the input. I have a Sig Romeo 5 mounted on my Ruger AR556 at the moment. Berelli.com has sig romeo 5’s for $100 shipped right now. That is tempting.
Old 09-21-2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handgunther View Post

Ditto on the TacSol threaded barrel - it's on my 10/22 with a Timney trigger. I have a TacSol TD and 10/22 TD in jail. Except for a Magpul backpacker in the box, I haven’t even started on the 10/22 TD, but thinking about it.

Last edited by ronlglock; 09-25-2021 at 10:28 AM..
Old 09-22-2021, 12:23 AM

My 1st TacSol 10/22 TD is currently sitting on a Magpul hunter td stock. Receiver and Barrel are from TacSol and i cannot complain one bit. I did upgrade the trigger to a Kidd, which i like 100times over the BX trigger. AND the Kidd mag release has a better look to it and is easier to reload when in most shooting positions. I installed a Nikon rimfire scope on it and it has no problems taking out ground squirrels, farthest to date is at 105yds. Magpul bipod definitely rounds out the look of it.

My second TacSol 10/22 TD is sitting in the Magpul backpacker stock with a Sig. sauer red dot on it. It has no problems ringing steel at 300yds off hand and that was before i installed the red dot. I just found a TacSol barrel with the faux suppressor NOS for cheap. (I had two receivers and one barrel prior). We will see how this new barrel performs. I aim to use this one for plinking and maybe shooting squirrels but I honestly prefer my 17hmr for squirrels.
Old 09-23-2021, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

I contacted Tandemkross and they are sending me a Fireswitch mag release for review. I’m excited about that.
Old 09-25-2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
My second TacSol 10/22 TD is sitting in the Magpul backpacker stock with a Sig. sauer red dot on it. It has no problems ringing steel at 300yds off hand and that was before i installed the red dot.
Which SIG?

Old 10-15-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Which SIG?
Sig Romeo 5
Old 10-16-2021, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
Volquartsen Carbon Fiber Barrel

I don't have a scope for mine, but because it is a takedown model, is it recommended to mount all optics on the barrel?

Receiver mounted won't retain zero?

If so, I need to find clamp on mount. I'd like to run the PA LPVO optic on mine.
Old 10-16-2021, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
I don't have a scope for mine, but because it is a takedown model, is it recommended to mount all optics on the barrel?

If so, I need to find clamp on mount. I'd like to run the PA LPVO optic on mine.
Either way works. I have both. No difference.
If you need a mount for the barrel of your takedown use the Magpul
Mount. It’s perfect.

Bob

Old 10-16-2021, 2:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post

Magpul mount

Old 10-17-2021, 12:01 AM

For barrel mounted scopes even with a cantilever mount you need something with 4.5”+ eye relief or so, most lpvo’s won’t have that. Red dot on barrel works great, but otherwise your options get a bit thin.
Old 10-17-2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
I bought a 10/22 takedown and have a backpacker stock waiting for it. I also bought a Tacsol TD VR - in red anodized.

The Tacsol barrels have fiber sights and the UTM Picatinny rail is “parted” down the middle so you can use them.
Ditto but red was outta stock so silver.

10 shots bipod @ 25 yards in 60 seconds into a 4.5” circle.

Last edited by ronlglock; 10-17-2021 at 5:47 PM..
Old 10-17-2021, 8:39 PM

I have the TS receiver & barrel as a takedown with the backpacker stock. Love the setup.