Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-05-2020, 1:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

IIRC, the sheriff requires residents of the City of Napa to apply first with their chief of Napa PD. Question: Does the sheriff allow you to apply with the county's SO if your CCW app is denied by the PD? IOW, do you get 2 chances for a CCW if you live in the City of Napa?

Re-elect Sonoma County Sheriff Essick!

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.
Old 01-05-2020, 5:20 PM

Next time I get off the property, I will look into the above questioned requirements and get back in here.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For those thinking about applying, below is the latest revision of my breakdown of the meaning of the Dark Red, Light Red and Yellow categories. If you do apply, be sure to let us know, via a post, or at least me, via a PM, how it went and any insights you can share. Napa Co is currently Yellow on the CA CCW GC map.

Quote:
The below GC categories are listed from, roughly, weakest to strongest. Note well there's a range within each category. For example, someone who's work equipment is worth $10,000 (might pass Light Red) is assumed to be more at risk than someone who's equipment is worth only $1,000 (might pass Yellow). Plus, remember that equipment that cost you $1,000 isn't equivalent to someone making $500 cash deposits. Your equipment is not only used (let's say it would fetch $600), but also it's stolen (might then drop that to $300). Similarly, someone who walks with a slight limp (might pass Dark Green), is not as vulnerable as someone who requires a cane (might pass Light Green) and they're not as vulnerable as someone who requires a wheelchair (might pass Yellow). Evaluation of GC isn't black and white, but often shades of gray, a judgment call. That's one of the reasons why we say the map may be off by 1 color in either direction. So, if you have a GC that is listed under Light Green below it might pass in a Yellow county. Apply if you really want a CCW and can afford to waste the time, money and effort in applying since you're most likely to be denied. (Going through the process might be good practice.) Remember: we should win a robust 2nd A RBA from SCOTUS by 2021 July 01.

<snip>

All the below will likely pass in a Yellow county Some of us can get issued here.

(8) Lives in a remote area with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times. (Provide proof of residence location, photos of your acreage, of you farming/ranching, etc) N.B. While this may work with SLO Co SOs, it will not work with Alameda Co SO; not sure re. Napa and Yolo Co SOs.

(9) Employees required to work in remote locales at all hours with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., wilderness photographer, surveyors, construction workers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, value of equipment) restricted to on-the-job only N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(10) Employees at heightened risk due visiting isolated locations required by their employment (e.g., female RE agents showing houses to strangers at all hours while alone). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(11) Employees (e.g., business managers, property managers) who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their employment (e.g., Au/Ag, jewelry, pharmaceuticals, firearms, ammo or gunpowder ("inherently dangerous property"), cash sales or rental deposits). Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(12) The nature of the business or occupation of the applicant is such that it is subject to personal risk and / or criminal attack, greater than the general population (e.g., private investigators, process servers, plain clothes security guards, bodyguards, taxi drivers). (Get letter from employer supporting the application and willingness to accept liability, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, photos of you on the job, etc.) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

All the below will likely pass in a Light Red county. Few of us can get issued here.

(13) Business owners required to work at all hours in remote locales with little or no cellphone coverage and/or long LE response times (e.g., professional farmer or rancher, wilderness photographer, surveyor, contractor). (copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job at remote locations, value of equipment, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

(14) Business owners who are at heightened risk due to valuables associated with their profession or business activities (e.g., Au/Ag dealers, jewelry dealers, MD/pharmacists/pharma sales rep, business owner or landlord making cash sales or rental deposits, maybe NRA Instructor, RSO and FFL dealers due to regularly transporting "inherently dangerous property"). (written description of your business activities, copies of relevant certificates/licenses, provide photos of you doing job, etc) N.B. Your CCW may be restricted to on-the-job only.

The below Good Cause will likely pass in a Dark Red county. This is Virtual No Issue because virtually none of us can get issued here. There are 3 levels in Dark Red (from most restrictive to least): actual No Issue. SF and Santa Clara, for awhile, were once this. Next, corrupt issue. LA is like this per the CSA's report: 25 out of 25 audited files did not follow their own CCW policy re. residency and 24 out of 25 did not follow their own policy on GC. Last is Virtual No Issue: this is where they issue for category #15 below and only for that.

(15) They are at heightened risk due to a documented "clear & present danger to life, or great bodily harm" against them or an immediate family member (e.g., crazy ex- or disgruntled fired employee, stalker, anonymous nut case/evildoer, etc.). These GC policies are usually based upon CA State AG John Van de Kamp's early 1980s Opinion letter and require a number of additional conditions be present. (Proof includes police reports (if BG unknown), permanent restraining order (if BG known), evidence of current threats (e.g., audio recordings, video/pictures, written threats, etc).) (SF, LA and Alameda have this as their only acceptable GC, but I've heard Alameda & LA approves or denies not in conformity to their published policy. (See Calif State Auditor's report re. LA: 1 page Fact Sheet: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/factsheets/2017-101.pdf Audit Summary: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/reports/2017-101/summary.html Full, 88 page report: http://www.auditor.ca.gov/pdfs/reports/2017-101.pdf One year later, LASD is still has not complied with the CSA's recommendations. See ~2/3rds down at: https://www.auditor.ca.gov/reports/s...019-041/table3)

Old 06-14-2020, 12:02 PM

Hello, new here from American Canyon, Napa county. In my case, getting an initial Napa CCW approval was as easy as Solano. I re-used my good cause statement and got pre-approved after the interview, pending training and live scan results.
Old 06-15-2020, 7:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb_reub View Post
Hello, new here from American Canyon, Napa county. In my case, getting an initial Napa CCW approval was as easy as Solano. I re-used my good cause statement and got pre-approved after the interview, pending training and live scan results.
AFTER you get your permit in hand, please share with us a rough idea of what your GC was, but not with so much detail as to ID yourself. Use the info in my post, #163, above yours as a guide.

Old 06-17-2020, 3:26 PM

I will.
Old 06-23-2020, 8:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

2 years down, 2 years to go until the next sheriff's election. Any word if Sheriff John Robertson will be stepping down or running again?

Old 06-24-2020, 6:03 AM

Sorry, I don't know. I just moved to American Canyon, Napa county. Captain Carlisle interviewed me for the CCW.

Last edited by newb_reub; 06-24-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Old 07-20-2020, 1:00 AM

Captain Carlisle interviewed
Me also
Old 07-30-2020, 3:29 PM

If I was issued a CCW in Solano and moved to Napa, do I have to restart from scratch my CCW application process in Napa? Also, if I completed 8 hours of training already for my Solano CCW, would I have to complete an additional 8 hours for the Napa CCW?
Old 07-30-2020, 3:37 PM

AC PD is provided as a subset of the SO. Napa city residents are likely not to get a CCW without some very unusual reason. Those not in Napa City boundaries have a realistic chance.
Old 07-30-2020, 4:00 PM

perry, that is something you might have to ask the sheriff or pd, depending where you live in napa county. i just started from scratch and applied and after the go ahead from the sheriff, took a 16 hour class. i learned a lot more from the second class and even had to qualify all ccw defensive guns up to 25 yards.
Old 07-31-2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D26k View Post
AC PD is provided as a subset of the SO. Napa city residents are likely not to get a CCW without some very unusual reason. Those not in Napa City boundaries have a realistic chance.
I would have to respectfully disagree. My friend and I were both issued through Napa PD and both our GCs were different and I would not consider either of them "very unusual". I think at worst we are yellow, best we are light green. Paladin's breakdown of the colors is an excellent guide to increase your chances.
Old 07-31-2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMike41 View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree. My friend and I were both issued through Napa PD and both our GCs were different and I would not consider either of them "very unusual". I think at worst we are yellow, best we are light green. Paladin's breakdown of the colors is an excellent guide to increase your chances.
How long ago did you get yours? I'm just curious if it was under the current chief, or the previous one.
Old 07-31-2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweddy View Post
How long ago did you get yours? I'm just curious if it was under the current chief, or the previous one.
We both got ours about a year ago.
Old 08-02-2020, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
AFTER you get your permit in hand, please share with us a rough idea of what your GC was, but not with so much detail as to ID yourself. Use the info in my post, #163, above yours as a guide.
For the GC that worked for me, I just cited a few examples where in I "feared" for my life and/or my family's. A general example is a panhandler asking for money and wasn't given any. Then he started yelling and being aggressive towards you. Situations like that. This worked for me in Solano and Napa.
Old 08-05-2020, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Could you elaborate on the GC statements?

Found out after buying my place two years ago that houses one block over are under the county and not the city..
Old 08-05-2020, 6:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb_reub View Post
For the GC that worked for me, I just cited a few examples where in I "feared" for my life and/or my family's. A general example is a panhandler asking for money and wasn't given any. Then he started yelling and being aggressive towards you. Situations like that. This worked for me in Solano and Napa.

That's a Dark Green GC: where the interviewing LEO goes through hypotheticals/scenarios with you based upon your normal activities and asks what do you think could happen and how'd you handle it. (I should probably add that to my list.) See post #31 at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924

Napa, like SLO, is Yellow on the CA CCW GC map because the SO wouldn't issue to residents of cities w/their own PDs that issue, and those PDs were restrictive. In Napa Co, >1/2 of their residents live in the City of Napa, which has a very restrictive (Light Red) GC policy: https://www.cityofnapa.org/517/Carry...Weapons-Permit

ETA: I can't seem to find anything saying that residents of cities with their own PDs that issue cannot apply with the SO, but must apply with their PD for CCWs.
See: https://www.countyofnapa.org/2511/Co...Weapons-Permit
and: https://napaca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Does anyone know if that is still a requirement?

If your PD denies you, can you then apply with the SO?

Can someone who lives in Napa County call up or drop by their local SO station and find out the answer to those questions?

Last edited by Paladin; 08-05-2020 at 6:38 PM..
Old 08-05-2020, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryeddiej View Post
If I was issued a CCW in Solano and moved to Napa, do I have to restart from scratch my CCW application process in Napa? Also, if I completed 8 hours of training already for my Solano CCW, would I have to complete an additional 8 hours for the Napa CCW?
I believe: Yes and Yes.

Did you move to the City of Napa or just to Napa County? If the city, you apply with the Napa Police Dept. If the county, you apply with the Napa Sheriff's Office. Contact them to make sure I'm right.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-05-2020 at 6:15 PM..
Old 08-05-2020, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would have to respectfully disagree. My friend and I were both issued through Napa PD and both our GCs were different and I would not consider either of them "very unusual". I think at worst we are yellow, best we are light green.

How can that be? I've known of IAs to issue more liberally than their GC policy before, but Napa PD's GC policy is Light Red. I wonder if Napa PD has changed their GC policy but haven't posted the change on their CCW webpage.

(from the middle of the page)
Quote:
The following are considered as examples of bona fide good cause for issuance of a concealed weapons permit:

•Applicant is a specifically targeted victim, as documented in official criminal justice records. An accompanying recommendation of an investigating peace officer (endorsed by the Department Head or Commander) that a concealed weapons permit be granted for reasons of personal safety would be helpful.

•Applicant is an active or honorably separated member of the criminal justice system directly responsible for the investigation, arrest, incarceration, prosecution or imposition of sentence on criminal offenders and has received threats of harm to persons or family as a result of official duties.

•Applicant is a member of the immediate family of an active or honorably separated member of the criminal justice system as described above, as a result of this relationship, has been the victim of criminal acts or threats as documented in official criminal justice records.

Other good cause reasons may vary based upon one or more of the following factors:

•The degree or frequency and likelihood of exposure to harm

•The nature of the applicants work and the resulting exposure to harm. Examples include, but not limited to, a private investigator who serves legal documents, a judge who sentences criminal defendants, probation officers, bail bondsman and paramedic.

•Objective evidence of a pattern or history of threats upon the applicant, or member of his/her immediate household, or his/her residence, workplace, or vehicle when occupied.

•Examples of objective evidence include police reports or witness corroboration via statements.

•Objective evidence of a pattern or history of threats upon the applicant, or member of his/her household.

•Examples of objective evidence include police reports or witness corroboration via statements.

In making a determination of good cause, the police department will consider all available information and make the decision most beneficial to public good and safety. The mere fear of victimization or desire to carry a firearm for self-protection from animals or others will not be sufficient. Statements that “I might break down on a back road somewhere” or “there are gangs in the town where I live” are generally not considered good cause. Carrying large sums of money or valuables as part of your business operation may be considered good cause. In general, acts associated with normal course of living, working or conducting business shall not constitute sufficient cause for issuance of a concealed weapons permit. The totality of the circumstances surrounding the applicant and the application will be considered and any license issued may be either unrestricted or subject to specific limitations, i.e. limitations as to the time and place where the applicant may be permitted to carry a concealed weapon.
From: https://www.cityofnapa.org/517/Carry...Weapons-Permit

Quote:
Paladin's breakdown of the colors is an excellent guide to increase your chances.
Thank you for your kind words.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-05-2020 at 6:22 PM..
Old 08-06-2020, 7:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
Found out after buying my place two years ago that houses one block over are under the county and not the city..
You're the perfect person to find out the answers to my questions:

Quote:
ETA: I can't seem to find anything saying that residents of cities with their own PDs that issue cannot apply with the SO, but must apply with their PD for CCWs.
See: https://www.countyofnapa.org/2511/Co...Weapons-Permit
and: https://napaca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Does anyone know if that is still a requirement?

If your PD denies you, can you then apply with the SO?

Can someone who lives in Napa County call up or drop by their local SO station and find out the answer to those questions?
Please let the rest of us know what you find out.

Old 08-25-2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:

How can that be? I've known of IAs to issue more liberally than their GC policy before, but Napa PD's GC policy is Light Red. I wonder if Napa PD has changed their GC policy but haven't posted the change on their CCW webpage.

(from the middle of the page)
From: https://www.cityofnapa.org/517/Carry...Weapons-Permit

Thank you for your kind words.
Sent you a PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 1:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I own property in Napa, and work on that property regularly; the property is in an unincorporated part of Napa. My home is in Santa Clara county. Depending on the weather, I may be at the Napa property working several days a week or only a couple days a month. I wonder if anyone knows how the residency requirements are applied for Napa and whether that would be sufficient for a CC application in Napa county.
Old 09-01-2021, 5:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourvil View Post
I own property in Napa, and work on that property regularly; the property is in an unincorporated part of Napa. My home is in Santa Clara county. Depending on the weather, I may be at the Napa property working several days a week or only a couple days a month. I wonder if anyone knows how the residency requirements are applied for Napa and whether that would be sufficient for a CC application in Napa county.
Your primary residence is your address for taxes, voting, vehicle registration, banking, etc.

There are “business” CCWs, but many Issuing Agencies won’t issue them and even if Napa SO does they’re only good for 90 days….

Old 09-08-2021, 3:49 PM

Considering applying for my CCW through American Canyon PD. Is there any pointers or things I should know before I apply. Thanks
Old 09-08-2021, 7:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evol ways View Post
Considering applying for my CCW through American Canyon PD. Is there any pointers or things I should know before I apply. Thanks
Sorry, no tips for that PD in particular, but be sure to go through all of my posts in my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of this forum.

Why are you doing that vs going directly to Napa SO?

Last edited by Paladin; 09-08-2021 at 8:29 PM..
Old 09-08-2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry, no tips for that PD in particular, but be sure to go through all of my posts in my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of this forum.

Why are you doing that vs going directly to Napa SO?
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought I read a post about a member who lives in the same city as me and was told to apply to the PD. Should I just go straight to the SO?

Will be reading the advice thread, thank you Paladin!
Old 09-09-2021, 6:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought I read a post about a member who lives in the same city as me and was told to apply to the PD. Should I just go straight to the SO?

Check out the sheriff’s website CCW info and see if it says you must apply with your local PD first. If it doesn’t address the issue, just give the SO a call and ask.

That’s what I’d do.

Old 09-10-2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:

You should start at the Sheriff's Office, unless you live in the Napa City Limits, then go to Napa PD.
Old 09-14-2021, 4:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You should start at the Sheriff's Office, unless you live in the Napa City Limits, then go to Napa PD.
Why should City of Napa residents bother applying with Napa PD? I don’t see that as a requirement on either Napa SO or Napa PD CCW info webpages. Plus, Napa PD sounds very restrictive in acceptable GC, so you’re just probably wasting time, money and effort applying with them.

If you get denied by the PD can you then apply with the SO?

https://www.cityofnapa.org/517/Carry...Weapons-Permit
https://www.countyofnapa.org/2511/Co...Weapons-Permit
https://napaca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Last edited by Paladin; 09-14-2021 at 4:44 PM..
Old 09-14-2021, 4:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

From 2018 May 31:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweddy View Post
New City of Napa police chief starting in July. Robert Plummer from Las Vegas PD. Curious how he'll be in issuing CCW's for city residents.
Well, that chief didn’t last too long….

The current chief is Jennifer Gonzales.

https://www.cityofnapa.org/directory.aspx?eid=89

Last edited by Paladin; 09-14-2021 at 4:43 PM..
Old 09-17-2021, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Why should City of Napa residents bother applying with Napa PD? I don’t see that as a requirement on either Napa SO or Napa PD CCW info webpages. Plus, Napa PD sounds very restrictive in acceptable GC, so you’re just probably wasting time, money and effort applying with them.

If you get denied by the PD can you then apply with the SO?

https://www.cityofnapa.org/517/Carry...Weapons-Permit
https://www.countyofnapa.org/2511/Co...Weapons-Permit
https://napaca.permitium.com/ccw/start
I just renewed back in July through Napa PD. I was told that Napa City residents have to go to the police department and cannot go to the SO. I believe if you are denied through PD then the SO will also deny, unfortunately.
Old 09-18-2021, 6:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I just renewed back in July through Napa PD. I was told that Napa City residents have to go to the police department and cannot go to the SO. I believe if you are denied through PD then the SO will also deny, unfortunately.
Napa Co SO vs City of Napa PD is important because Napa is unusual in that over half the population of Napa Co lives within Napa City. But the CA CCW GC map goes by county SO, not by cities’ PDs. The conundrum is what to do when the county has liberal GC requirement but it doesn’t apply to over half the residents? People may move to Napa county thinking they can easily get a CCW only to find out later they can’t because they moved into the city.

Hopefully SCOTUS will give us a clear and strong win in a Carry case before next Fourth of July so we don’t have to deal with a CCW GC county map anymore.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-18-2021 at 6:40 AM..