Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-05-2021, 6:04 PM

Default What is this machined out recess for?

Might pick up this adjustable gas block. Just curios why this recess is on the side.

Old 04-05-2021, 6:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thats where someone might drill to cross pin the gasblock and barrel.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 04-05-2021, 6:24 PM

Thank you for answering my question.

I am debating between this and a heavier buffer or spring for my what will surely be overgassed AR15 with a criterion barrel.
Old 04-05-2021, 7:28 PM

So what are the set screws for? Looks like if it was pinned, it would go through the rifling.
Old 04-05-2021, 8:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliphobiaRick View Post
I am debating between this and a heavier buffer or spring for my what will surely be overgassed AR15 with a criterion barrel.
It's better to reduce the gas flow to reduce the momentum than to add extra weight which increases the momentum.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 04-05-2021, 8:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Looks like if it was pinned, it would go through the rifling.
The flat is at the same level on the gas block as the bottom of the bore.
When you drill a pin hole there, half the pin goes into the barrel and half of the pin stays in the gas block.
It's nowhere near the rifled bore.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 04-06-2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The flat is at the same level on the gas block as the bottom of the bore.
When you drill a pin hole there, half the pin goes into the barrel and half of the pin stays in the gas block.
It's nowhere near the rifled bore.
Visually it looks like it would, but your more knowledgeable on these things.
Thanks.
Old 04-06-2021, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Visually it looks like it would, but your more knowledgeable on these things.
Thanks.
lol, keep in mind the inner diameter of the block is the outer diameter of the barrel and not the bore.
Old 04-06-2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
lol, keep in mind the inner diameter of the block is the outer diameter of the barrel and not the bore.
Thank you Captain Obvious. LOL
Old 04-06-2021, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you Captain Obvious. LOL
and yet you thought it would go through the bore...
Old 04-06-2021, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you for answering my question.

As AR15barrels said it is better to reduce gas pressure than try to mitigate the effects of overgassing with heavier buffers or springs. You should get an adjustable gas block if you have overgassing.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
lol, keep in mind the inner diameter of the block is the outer diameter of the barrel
Actually, they are often 0.001" or more different.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:47 AM

I should get an adjustable gas block. What is putting me off though is that that means more moving parts and more **** that can break. A regular gas block is just a solid piece of steel with no moving parts.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:48 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I should get an adjustable gas block. What is putting me off though is that that means more moving parts and more **** that can break. A regular gas block is just a solid piece of steel with no moving parts.
Adjustable gas blocks are convenient because it is easy to adjust the amount of gas. BUT, the price of convenience is not free. You need to keep the mechanism operational. Why? Because the functionality will go away without maintenance and, if you are like me, you'll want to minimize gas to reduce recoil or increase cyclical rate.

Problem with that is -- crap changes. Cold weather has an affect, poor ammo, dirty gun, worn springs, might render your adjustment a problem and you might need to open up the gas port to ensure reliability.

This matters little if the rifle is just for shooting targets, but I don't have and wouldn't have an adjustable GB on a Home or Self Defense rifle. IMHO, for HS you are way better off with a somewhat over gassed rifle.

However, there are alternatives, to an adjustable GB. Problem is, you can choose a gas port restriction that won't work with weak ammo, as an example.

Here is a company, Black River Tactical, that makes a couple alternatives, I think they are mainly for guys that run suppressors 90% of the time, but if you just want to restrict your gas pressure a little, I would think one of their products might help without using an adjustable GB. You can call them.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...Drive-c6464009

In the case of HD, I prefer using a spring/buffer combo that cycles a little more aggressively to ensure cycling at critical moments. And I use good 5.56 pressure ammo.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-07-2021 at 12:57 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you can be sure of a steady supply of NATO spec ammo then stay with a fixed mil spec GB.

On the other hand you may want to or need to buy ammo that is cheaper weak (not NATO) spec ammo and won't cycle your rifle. It is easier to dial the rifle for more gas with a couple of turns.

Notice the lack of retail availability of ammo now? Not always available. Cheap/weak stuff may be the only stuff available and the rifle gags on it.

My AGB's have only one moving part. Single stainless steel set screw. Extras available at a hardware store.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 04-07-2021 at 1:08 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Actually, they are often 0.001" or more different.
hahaha, that would help it go on.
Old 04-07-2021, 6:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You probably worry about the really important things in life like if a cloud looks more like a volkswagen bus or beetle don't you?

Adjustable gas blocks don't fail.
They have them all figured out now.

Old 04-07-2021, 6:42 PM
Progressives Suck!

I might agree they don't break, unless the user Fs it up trying to break lose a frozen adjuster or detent.
Old 04-07-2021, 6:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So what are the set screws for? Looks like if it was pinned, it would go through the rifling.
In all fairness, I think it's the angle of that pic that makes it look like the recess is a little too high up the side.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 04-07-2021, 7:08 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
If you can be sure of a steady supply of NATO spec ammo then stay with a fixed mil spec GB.

On the other hand you may want to or need to buy ammo that is cheaper weak (not NATO) spec ammo and won't cycle your rifle. It is easier to dial the rifle for more gas with a couple of turns.

Notice the lack of retail availability of ammo now? Not always available. Cheap/weak stuff may be the only stuff available and the rifle gags on it.

My AGB's have only one moving part. Single stainless steel set screw. Extras available at a hardware store.
I think this is an argument for a fixed GB (wide open). You cannot open an adjustable GB any larger than the full open, which is what a fixed GB is.

The reason people put an adjustable GB on is to limit gas.

On a standard build the maximum pressure is gained with the standard GB (generally). That's usually your best chance of adequate cycling with week ammo, depending on the manufacturer of the barrel/gas system.

Many people think that their rifle is over gassed and there are two ways to mitigate the resulting "excess" recoil. One, a heavier buffer (There are also different "stiffer" springs if necessary) Two, an adjustable restrictive gas system, (there is also the bleed off system like Superlative)

Both of these can cause your rifle to experience failures due to too little gas, or too heavy a buffer/spring combo (or both). Its a little more complicated than that, but that approximates the implications. For instance, operating conditions (temperature), powder, powder load, etc. can cause low pressure situations. In a critical time, if you don't have the adjustment tool or the time to adjust it, you could end up with a malfunction at a critical time.

Many rifle/barrel makers these days know that their customers are buying and shooting cheap ammo. So, some of the manufacturers drill the gas port on the large side to avoid customers complaining that their rifles won't cycle with whatever crap steel case cheapo ammo they are shooting.

But then the Manufacturers get complaints that the gas ports are too big from guys that shoot full pressure loads.

Personally, I like my HD rifles a little over gassed.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-07-2021 at 7:19 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 7:22 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
In all fairness, I think it's the angle of that pic that makes it look like the recess is a little too high up the side.
That's what it looks like to me too.
Old 04-07-2021, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I think this is an argument for a fixed GB (wide open). You cannot open an adjustable GB any larger than the full open, which is what a fixed GB is.

The reason people put an adjustable GB on is to limit gas.

On a standard build the maximum pressure is gained with the standard GB (generally). That's usually your best chance of adequate cycling with week ammo, depending on the manufacturer of the barrel/gas system.

Many people think that their rifle is over gassed and there are two ways to mitigate the resulting "excess" recoil. One, a heavier buffer (There are also different "stiffer" springs if necessary) Two, an adjustable restrictive gas system, (there is also the bleed off system like Superlative)

Both of these can cause your rifle to experience failures due to too little gas, or too heavy a buffer/spring combo (or both). Its a little more complicated than that, but that approximates the implications. For instance, operating conditions (temperature), powder, powder load, etc. can cause low pressure situations. In a critical time, if you don't have the adjustment tool or the time to adjust it, you could end up with a malfunction at a critical time.

Many rifle/barrel makers these days know that their customers are buying and shooting cheap ammo. So, some of the manufacturers drill the gas port on the large side to avoid customers complaining that their rifles won't cycle with whatever crap steel case cheapo ammo they are shooting.

But then the Manufacturers get complaints that the gas ports are too big from guys that shoot full pressure loads.

Personally, I like my HD rifles a little over gassed.
I agree that gas ports are sometimes larger than spec regardless of GB.
*Most people don't know the port spec on their rifles or even what the size should be for NATO spec ammo.

There is an argument for having an over sized gas port to compensate for low power ammo.
Switching from weak ammo to NATO spec tends to be harder on the action, dirtier and adds a tad more recoil using a larger port.

I prefer not running heavy buffers and springs. Running over gassed action is a band aid fix for weak ammo. So is heavy buffers/springs for NATO spec ammo.

I like the option of running a variety to ammo from NATO spec to weak steel cased without over/under cycling the action which theoretically adds to parts longevity and reliability in the long run. I can stuff any factory ammo in my rifles and know ahead of time that they will reliably cycle the action. Having a smooth flat shooter is just a side benefit.

Properly tuned AR's can be very reliable and eat damn near anything without sticking or over cycling. Stoner's basic design is unfortunately ammo sensitive and that can be a pain in the balls when trying to feed it.

What you have works for you, but you can make better.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-07-2021, 9:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Besides the obvious issue of weak ammo, manufacturers ALSO make the gas ports larger to make sure the gun will function when it's brand new.
A properly ported barrel will have teething problems until the bolt carrier/barrel/receiver smooth out.
Nobody wants a gun that's under-gassed with wimpy or 55gr ammo when new (which will still run fine with 62-77gr nato spec ammo) so the manufacturer's over-gas them and then offer heavier buffers and adjustable gas blocks to solve the problem later when the gun is fully broken in.