Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-11-2021, 8:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default What to do & buy with the time we have left B4 the 2021 poop **REALLY** hits the fan?

We all thought 2020 was a pain, and for some it was very difficult.

This first week-and-a-half of 2021 has been a doozy.

We see uniform voice from Media, Government and Big Tech trying to shut down sane America, conservatives, firearms, etc.

I really want to hope this gets better, but I think this is likely to get absolutely nuts in the not too distant future and continue to get worse.
  • What should we be buying now that in one to several months or more we will wish we had purchased today, this week, this month and so forth before it is too late?
  • Should we be purging our posts on sites?
  • Limiting what we post going forward?
  • Run a VPN if we are not already?

??

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 01-11-2021, 8:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Be a grey man and stock up on a bit of food before the food riots start.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-11-2021, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Food
Ammo
Fuel
No matter how wet it gets gas will always start a fire.
Old 01-11-2021, 8:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Get you BoV's in shape, if it comes to that. I'm getting both my trucks up to snuff in these next few weeks!
Old 01-11-2021, 8:39 PM

I'd say that if you're not squared away by now, anything you do you will be far behind of where you should have already been. Obama's election set a lot of things in motion for me. The run on guns and ammo after Sandy Hook got my attention on how fast the supply chain can dry up.

Starting in 2008, I got serious and started to think through scenarios and make short, medium and long range plans. I'm at the culmination of my long term plans, just in time for the disaster of the 2020 stolen election.

Whatever may come; bring it. Still praying for peace, but ready for a very bumpy road but unlike my old friends and neighbors back in the city, I'll be riding this one out in the country with new friends and other rural folk.
Old 01-11-2021, 9:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
I'd say that if you're not squared away by now, anything you do you will be far behind of where you should have already been. Obama's election set a lot of things in motion for me. The run on guns and ammo after Sandy Hook got my attention on how fast the supply chain can dry up.

Starting in 2008, I got serious and started to think through scenarios and make short, medium and long range plans. I'm at the culmination of my long term plans, just in time for the disaster of the 2020 stolen election.

Whatever may come; bring it. Still praying for peace, but ready for a very bumpy road but unlike my old friends and neighbors back in the city, I'll be riding this one out in the country with new friends and other rural folk.
I agree... but... are we not always doing stuff?

I purchased a lot of ammo in the spring of 2020; it was readily available during our freedom day. I would have said I purchased a ton of ammo, but I think it was more like a quarter ton.

In early fall I waned to invest a few grand in reloading stuff, but it is not available and not likely to be available anytime soon.

I am wishing that last spring while my had the opportunity and was thinking of ammo I should have spent a few grand on reloading materials.

What's next?

"Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm going to grab some more canned goods at the store to top off the stash and keep the gas tank full till we see what goes down 1/20.
Old 01-12-2021, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Just top off what you already have on hand. Prepared people don't panic buy at the last moment.

My little group of drinking buddies have been using Telegram, Proton vpn/email and ham radios for years (took a while to get everybody on board). Coms are solid and tested regularly.

Posting pics and making posts should always be measured. I NEVER post pics of ANY of my personal property.

We are entering new political territory. Things are so wonky now it's getting harder to decontaminate true news from BS. Digital book burning is happening now.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 01-12-2021, 10:36 AM

If there is something nagging at you not "covered" in your preparations then buy it. If uncle joey and aunt nanny decide to send me another 1400 then I'll probably spend it on silver as I already put the 600 towards a new firearm for the tiny collection I haven't lost yet. Ammo has been out of the realm of reality for me since the idiocy started. Not sure it will ever let up; or at least not for 2.5 to 3 years. I'm ok if what I have is all I can get.

At this point if its not silver, not prep stocking up then its second hand deals. Like the bike I recently purchased was 2nd hand. Got a line on a bow and will need some arrows and tips to make it worthy. If I didn't have a bow it wouldn't be the end of the world but I used to enjoy it a prior life (decades ago).

Finally: Lets all take hard looks at the life we're getting; its pretty easy to see in Venezuela. Shortages on food, TP, clean water, food, are pretty darn real. How's your spanish? I mean if they are going to let 60 million people walk in here they mostly will be speaking spanish and with defunded police department your local street gang will be the authority - can you converse?
Old 01-12-2021, 11:17 AM
I Pity the Fool!
CGN Contributor

If anyone is still not using a VPN, well, you deserve what you get.

Keep thinking of ways to harden your home from break-ins, even if it's an apt, there are always ways.

Have at least 2 weeks supply of food & water; better to go "full Mormon" and have 1-years+

Guns & ammo, does this need to be discussed?
Old 01-12-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
  • What should we be buying now that in one to several months or more we will wish we had purchased today, this week, this month and so forth before it is too late?
??
Buying: I would modify the normal buying priority list with what I think may be unavailable - certain firearms, Kevlar vests, magazines, ammo are all on the legislative agenda for the incoming administration, if you don't have them & want them get them now (and prepare for what you will do if they become banned ). Also think about tasers, pepper spray, riot shields, gas masks all the stuff rioters use or defend against (expect those items to be heavily regulated in "Patriot Act II"). Beyond that just expand the normal priorities and get what you have organized (organization is my weak spot & my current focus in prepping).

Purging posts online: Yes, I would definitely do this. Especially anything that can be tracked back to you by name & picture.

Limiting what you post: If you follow the advice below regarding VPN's & alias's then I would continue to post anything you normally would. If you don't then yes, I'd be very carefull. Even if you do use the methods above - those are adequate if you are not a specific target of the US gov . . . start saying stupid stuff like threats that will make them want to focus on you and they will be able to get through all of that. A VPN is not a license to be stupid.

VPN: Absolutely. In fact not only a VPN but a VPN based in a country with good internet privacy laws like Switzerland (NOT the USA). Proton VPN is great, can be packaged with ProtonMail encrypted e-mail, and has both a pay (I prefer) & free version. Also use a search engine like Duckduckgo.com that won't collect info & track you. Lastly, use an alias . . .all the previous doesn't do much good if you use your legal name as a screen name. Do everything you can to keep your picture off the internet and especially do not have your picture linked to your name - to stay out of facial recognition databases.

Additionally: I would take other actions that weren't in a category you listed.

Financial: Begin making small withdraws from your bank and put the cash in your safe or in commodities. The gov already tracks any withdraws over $10k or anything that they even suspect may be done to avoid the $10K flag (so if you take out $3k a couple times they will think you are just being sneaky to stay off the $10k list). Go to the store and get a prepaid credit card - use that for the purchase of your VPN and anything else online you don't want the gov to track.

Home security: Walk a mile from your house and then turn around and walk back to your house, think if you were a mob what would steer you away or how you could defend against it. For example the best viewpoint from my house is at the apex of my roof, I put a camera up there so I can see a crowd coming. If you live in a neighborhood start a neighborhood watch (in my area there are about 6 families that are of a similar mindset, and 4 that aren't . . . so we have a very informal group that leaves out the others).

Physical Fitness: This is probably the most important! It will affect everything in your life. Start a physical fitness program. I will make you more adaptable for whatever may happen and most importantly with what is coming - it will improve your mental/emotional state.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:40 PM
I Pity the Fool!
CGN Contributor

Here's one more: buy silver eagles by the roll (20). They will be useful for barter or if the dollar crashes. But buy only rolls if you can afford it, if you can only afford single coins, it isn't worth it and you should spend your money elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2021, 5:49 PM

I’m getting new front doors.
Upgrading first aid.
Old 01-12-2021, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

if you live in a city, move.

if you live in a rural area get back up water and power.

learn to reload.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 01-12-2021, 6:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
I'm going to grab some more canned goods at the store to top off the stash and keep the gas tank full till we see what goes down 1/20.
I've been stocking up for some time.. and a lot since 11/3

I bet we have 6-8 months of food with half being canned goods and half long term stuff.. 4 fridges of food between my moms and our three..

canned goods are great.. easy to deal with and contain water.

We have a 16kw genny and a 320 gallon propane tank.. that will let us pump water for awhile if we use it sparingly.. but I need to find a way to run the 1hp well pump some other way or water become an issue before food.

Sorta fun trying to think of all the things that are easy to miss..

Oh, I also have about 4 ways to cook without using the house appliances.. Coleman 16oz propane tanks are nearly impossible to find so I have adapters to run the stoves off bigger tanks and to refill used up 1 pounders.

Also have a Solo Stove..
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
― Ayn Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 01-15-2021, 2:09 PM

$1503 worth of
https://www.jmbullion.com/2021-2-oz-...reyhound-coin/
Old 01-15-2021, 5:20 PM
Calguns Addict

No need to buy much...
I am happy that I know how to plan ahead, and have a good supply of 5.56 and 9mm already reloaded, while many n00bz might have a box or two, or over-paid dearly during this panic.

9mm reloaded @ $0.09 - $0.103/rd - PC/Plated to Jackets
M193 reloaded @ $0.1557 - $0.19/rd
M855/SS109 reloaded @ $0.18/rd

Last edited by the86d; 01-15-2021 at 5:23 PM..
Old 01-30-2021, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What to do & buy with the time we have left B4 the 2021 poop **REALLY** hits the fan?
A RELOADING PRESS...
YEARS AGO...

Here we go... rabbit hole typical of ignorant Democrats exerting "control", ASAP...

https://youtu.be/tuqYnRCeOyY

Last edited by the86d; 01-31-2021 at 8:38 AM..
Old 01-31-2021, 2:45 PM

Food and make sure you have accessible water supply. Food being the # 1.

The ability to keep you and family's safe.

Remember family is the the people that you can really count on.
Old 01-31-2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
We all thought 2020 was a pain, and for some it was very difficult.

This first week-and-a-half of 2021 has been a doozy.

We see uniform voice from Media, Government and Big Tech trying to shut down sane America, conservatives, firearms, etc.

I really want to hope this gets better, but I think this is likely to get absolutely nuts in the not too distant future and continue to get worse.

??

I suspect you "feel" the answers to most of your questions already. All of this happening so quickly is absolutely mind boggling. You raise a valid point about obtaining possession while you can. That which you can't obtain you can never possess. If you possess you are at least one step ahead of someone who doesn't (even though that merely delays the inevitable knock on the door).
Old 01-31-2021, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

If you plan to count on friends, family or neighbors you better double check their state of readiness. When was the last time y'all trained or drilled together?
Old 01-31-2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
If you plan to count on friends, family or neighbors you better double check their state of readiness. When was the last time y'all trained or drilled together?
Really good point!
Old 02-01-2021, 11:07 AM

A lot of the things that might be impossible to get soon have already been very difficult to get for months and months. If you don't have those things already, keep trying, but also think about backup plans.

I've recently added a few backup knives, eating implements, and fire starting tools to the kit in case of breaking / losing any - a swiss army knife, another survival knife, some "tactical sporks" (i laugh every time i say that), and some more camo (both clothing and netting for vehicles / camps).

But honestly, and this is a big one, the biggest deficiency in my entire system right now is cardio. When I was younger I took a lot of comfort knowing I could outrun most people over both short and long distances, and humping 100 lbs of gear 20 miles into the mountains was doable as long as I had enough daylight, but none of that is true now. So #1 on my list is to work on my cardio, and now that I think about it, my kit could probably do with some spare pairs of shoes/boots.
Old 04-06-2021, 3:58 PM

I feel pretty prepared. I continue to buy ammo and things like lighters and batteries and medical items like scissors and cloth and such. Picked up a bunch more legacy seeds. Upgraded a bunch of 10 year old electronics and batteries etc. Never hurts to have more water.
Old 04-06-2021, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Just top off what you already have on hand. Prepared people don't panic buy at the last moment.

My little group of drinking buddies have been using Telegram, Proton vpn/email and ham radios for years (took a while to get everybody on board). Coms are solid and tested regularly.

Posting pics and making posts should always be measured. I NEVER post pics of ANY of my personal property.

We are entering new political territory. Things are so wonky now it's getting harder to decontaminate true news from BS. Digital book burning is happening now.
Speaking of your coms. I have a utvcom radio for my side by side that the dealer said included ham/vhf and race frequencies, but not to use them unless I get the license. Is there a way that you know of to check if the ham part is working? I have seen that I have a lot of preprogrammed channels including weather and emergency as well as Rugged, BitD, etc.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 04-06-2021, 6:01 PM

Listen, but don't try to send...

There are a couple of ham clubs in Mesquite.

The test is pretty simple if you study up before trying it but you may need to run up to St George, or down to Vegas. See: http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session

Last edited by 1911-CV; 04-06-2021 at 6:10 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Gamble View Post
Speaking of your coms. I have a utvcom radio for my side by side that the dealer said included ham/vhf and race frequencies, but not to use them unless I get the license. Is there a way that you know of to check if the ham part is working? I have seen that I have a lot of preprogrammed channels including weather and emergency as well as Rugged, BitD, etc.
Test it with another radio on the same freqs. Simplex person to person and keep it short.
Use lowest power setting if possible. 1 watt is good if you have it.

Don't test on repeaters. Clubs pay for and maintain them. They will turn you in if they can.

Stay off any LE/FD/EMS freqs etc. Listen only.

Use your radio for listening to cross talk and let your conscience be your guide.

All NFA/KFC/FCC/BMW/ATT/BFD/FDA/AOC/FAA/WTF rules apply.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-07-2021, 8:39 PM

One idea is to get solar. There are $0 down companies that desperately want the tax breaks to get you solar. You end up paying basically what you would be paying the utility company, only when rates (or inflation) go up, you'll be paying the lower rate.
The only real downside is that if the grid goes down, the panels don't produce any power, something about them needing power to produce power, so that during a blackout the power wouldn't feed back into a supposed dead line and kill some linemen...
Old 04-07-2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapThyCat View Post
One idea is to get solar. There are $0 down companies that desperately want the tax breaks to get you solar. You end up paying basically what you would be paying the utility company, only when rates (or inflation) go up, you'll be paying the lower rate.
The only real downside is that if the grid goes down, the panels don't produce any power, something about them needing power to produce power, so that during a blackout the power wouldn't feed back into a supposed dead line and kill some linemen...
If the power ever goes out long term one of my side gigs will be reconfiguring peoples solar to work without the grid &/or charge batteries. It's not that hard, you just have to know how to do it & not care about code enforcement or SDG&E.
Old 04-08-2021, 5:31 AM
Veteran Member

move out of urban areas...

hyperinflation and collapsing real estate coupled with panic buying and hoarding will be inevitable...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 04-08-2021, 7:34 AM

Default good post but one error

Its not my experience or understanding they need power to produce it; but you are spot on with several points that many ignore.

First people seem to hate "leases" and power purchase agreements all because someone else is making money. Your point is so well noted in the second sentence - solar on your house for zero out of pocket and all you do is continue to buy electricity - its just produced on your house. Someone ( a company) is willing to invest tens of thousands to put solar on your house, charge you nothing up front, and all you do is pay for the power - just like you would if you were tied to the power company still (which you are). I don't get the hatred for that. So what its a lease, an agreement, a contract, etc - make sure you negotiate a good one.

Now I don't think the system needs power but they do block it from producing for the reason you stated - so that power doesn't go onto the grid and hurt someone working on it. That said the next poster is correct - there is a means to changing that but it violates your agreement. If SHTF that agreement is worthless and that system is on your roof; I'd want a way to access the power from it and the investment to make that happen is quite small.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2021, 7:35 AM

Default Solar during outage

There are a number of companies that sell inverters which will cut you off the grid during an outage. The same device can also use batteries for nights and cloud, and even add a generator as a backup source. Check out the Outback Radian or the Sol-Ark 12kW grid-tied / battery back-up inverters as examples.

Quote:
One idea is to get solar...
Old 04-08-2021, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

I seem to recall reading that as they are used, solar panels wear out slowly, and after about 20-25 years, won't generate crap, but the panels were getting cheaper every year, pre-covid, so you actually might get more bang for the buck when you have to replace them.
Old 04-08-2021, 8:09 PM

In 20 to 25 years they should be about 75-80% effective which isn’t good enough to get the power out put desired.
Old 04-08-2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
In 20 to 25 years they should be about 75-80% effective which isn’t good enough to get the power out put desired.
Yet in 25 years, 80% power would be far more power than the mutant-zombie-biker-village across the way generates with their slave-powered-millstone-turbines, so hey, why not?
Old 04-08-2021, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-CV View Post
There are a number of companies that sell inverters which will cut you off the grid during an outage. The same device can also use batteries for nights and cloud, and even add a generator as a backup source. Check out the Outback Radian or the Sol-Ark 12kW grid-tied / battery back-up inverters as examples.
That's a pretty big investment. If you want to do it legal according to current codes, then something like this is what you'll need (for example if your goal is to maintain power when SDG&E cuts off your power on hot dry days).

In a standard system the panels produce DC which foes to an inverter that converts to AC, the AC then goes into an interconnect (which grid power also feeds into) and then into your house. When the interconnect senses a loss of power from the grid it decouples from the solar power to keep power from back feeding into the grid (which could seriously injure someone working on the lines) and this also prevents the power from the solar from entering your house. In a long term outage you could physically disconnect the wiring from the grid, and wire directly from the inverter to your main breaker (extremely carefully - there is live power coming from the panels). You could also place a bank of batteries between the solar panels & the inverter which would give you power even when the panels aren't producing (night), if you do this you will need diodes between the batteries and the panels to prevent power from feeding back up into the panels at night when they're not producing. To be clear this is a really bad idea if you aren't confident you know what your doing AND the grid is down long term (like permanently).
Old 04-09-2021, 6:50 AM

Quote:
It is true that solar panels lose a degree of output potential over time but electrical production through solar panels is always a bit of a moving target anyway.

Cloud cover, wildland fire smoke, short days of winter and even ambient temperature cause fluctuations in the energy potential of the panels. Also, fluctuating energy demands of the user add to the mystery of how many square feet of panels is enough. No matter how accurate your math is in the matter, mother nature always has a say in the result.

In my situation and taking the "big picture" view, there are really only 90 days during winter in each year that I even consider what my solar energy production is. The rest of the year, there is more power available from my panels than I could possibly use and any degradation in output would not be noticed.
Old 04-09-2021, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My panels will be 92% as effective as new at 25 years.

Mojave Lever Crew Member

""Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated." Sun Tzu: https://twitter.com/Balgor11

Sustaining Member of Balgor's Iggy list.
Old 04-09-2021, 7:54 AM

Default Maybe I read it wrong

Maybe I read it wrong or since I haven't looked at new panels in a decade they weren't lasting as well in 2010/2011. IDK but I could have sworn they said the decline was 20-25% over the power purchase agreements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post
My panels will be 92% as effective as new at 25 years.
Old 04-09-2021, 8:32 AM

Default Good discussion...

Chuck:

Thanks. Seems like you've looked at this too. The smaller Radian units are way down in price now. They can take the place of a standard inverter so I think the delta would be $1,000 - $1,500 on a new install and presto, you're legal and still have power when the grid is down. The Sol-Arks are new to market (no discounts) and pretty pricey but can handle a big load and are super flexible. How much more they would cost depends on your set-up. Way too much (for me) as a retro-fit. But if I was installing solar for the first time I'd take a close look at both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
That's a pretty big investment...