Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2020, 2:28 PM
.40Cal's Avatar
.40Cal .40Cal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hayward, Bay Area
Posts: 1,238
iTrader: 0 / 100%
Default FUN / Shooting Range Handgun (CZ, Glock, 1911) 9MM

Hey guys,

Just thinking of getting a Fun/shooting range handgun.

Requirement: Full size (Glock 19 exception), budget: under $550 - $700 ish (could go up to $800 for a sweet package), 9MM Only, maybe used for HD.

Choices/Considering: CZ Sp-01, CZ 75G Omega, Glock 34 or Glock 19, Springfield/Colt,RIA,Kimber (etc) in 1911 (full size).

I don't know if I should further customize the gun - as said, it could be used as HD gun too, that's why I want to have very minimum customization. However, I want the gun to be a straight shooter and fun experience at the range. I have been considering a 1911, a CZ, or a Glock (never had any of them). I do have a Sig P226, which is different than all these. 1911 seems like a good shooter and fun of owning one, but has reliability/jamming issues in almost all brands under $1000. CZ & Glocks are utterly reliable - while CZ may make a great target/competition gun, Glock is just...a Glock, not sure why some people use it in competitions.

Hence my delima & confusion. What's your take on this... Thanks!

Last edited by .40Cal; 01-19-2020 at 2:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-19-2020, 2:32 PM
California_Deplorable's Avatar
California_Deplorable California_Deplorable is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,014
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

You already have a P226 which what I prefer to shoot for fun and HD over any of the other guns you listed. Maybe look into the SP2022 or Beretta M9/92fs.

The only CZs I think are worth having are the Shadow 2, TS and 97b. The TS is way out of your price range.
__________________
CRPA and NRA member.

The OPINIONS expressed herein are NOT legal advice and should not be taken too seriously. This is the internet after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2020, 2:33 PM
trigger945's Avatar
trigger945 trigger945 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burbank (So Cal)
Posts: 5,774
iTrader: 115 / 100%
Default

Hmmm, reliability issues on 1911’s below $1,000 is likely not true.

Have you shot any of them at a range? If not, I think that’s the next best step. Any of your choices will prove to satisfy your requirement.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2020, 2:47 PM
.40Cal's Avatar
.40Cal .40Cal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hayward, Bay Area
Posts: 1,238
iTrader: 0 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger945 View Post
Hmmm, reliability issues on 1911’s below $1,000 is likely not true.

Have you shot any of them at a range? If not, I think that’s the next best step. Any of your choices will prove to satisfy your requirement.
Many YouTube videos show 9mm 1911s jamming or have ejection issues. Even on Budsguns, customer reviews show ejection issues with 1911. Sweet looking and feeling guns, but I'm just wondering....

Hence the idea for a CZ or Glock.

P.S: I do own a Sig P226, no issues...ever in 10 years.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2020, 2:49 PM
Mayor McRifle's Avatar
Mayor McRifle Mayor McRifle is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Central Valley
Posts: 6,834
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
Just thinking of getting a Fun/shooting range handgun.

Requirement: Full size (Glock 19 exception), budget: under $550 - $700 ish (could go up to $800 for a sweet package), 9MM Only, maybe used for HD.

Choices/Considering: CZ Sp-01, CZ 75G Omega, Glock 34 or Glock 19, Springfield/Colt,RIA,Kimber (etc) in 1911 (full size).

. . . What's your take on this...
CZ SP-01
__________________
Anchors Aweigh

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2020, 2:57 PM
r8dr rider's Avatar
r8dr rider r8dr rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,934
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

1911 or CZ. Glocks suck ***
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2020, 3:17 PM
trigger945's Avatar
trigger945 trigger945 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burbank (So Cal)
Posts: 5,774
iTrader: 115 / 100%
Default

I’ve owned a Kimber and RIA 9mm 1911 and shot a Springfield 9mm 1911 (all under $1,000) many times and can’t really recall issues outside of issues I experienced with Glocks and CZ’s. But maybe my experience is not the norm... but my personal vote for a 9mm is NOT a 1911 anyways... but I strongly recommend trying them (CZ, Glock, 1911) out for yourself, if you can. Each one is fun on its own but your kind of fun is the one that will matter.

Good luck

Last edited by trigger945; 01-19-2020 at 3:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2020, 3:44 PM
newbie1234 newbie1234 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
Posts: 1,774
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
.... I have been considering a 1911, a CZ, or a Glock …..
Glock 34 or RIA 1911 38 Super then convert to 9mm. Both easy to do the trigger job to bring down the trigger pull to 3# - 3.5#.
(I had both of them and did the trigger mod by myself to 3#-3.5# on both).

Last edited by newbie1234; 01-19-2020 at 3:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2020, 4:50 PM
BradleyAbrams's Avatar
BradleyAbrams BradleyAbrams is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The House of the Rising Sun
Posts: 491
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Browning Hi Power or SigSauer SP2022

..
__________________
The "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" was not created by the 2nd Amendment; it was merely an acknowledgement of an existing, In-Alienable Right

IN-ALIENABLE - Defined by Webster as: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred .


Joseph Johnston - 4/14
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2020, 5:06 PM
broadside's Avatar
broadside broadside is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 772
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

If you want an inexpensive simple shooter, then look at the Springfield XD9 4". Points good, shoots good, reliable. I have thousands of rounds through my sub compact (carry gun), my brother has the same through his 4" gun.

Did I say inexpensive yet for the XD?

The CZ SP01 is a great gun. That is what I run for competition, but its one of those good guns that is amazing with more money thrown at it. For a range toy and basic HD, I'd steer you away from it simply for the cost and wanting to upgrade internals later on.

I can't naturally point a Glock due to the grip angle. It's too hard for me to point shoot one without a ton of effort and point shooting is not supposed to be effort.... But a lot of people I know shoot Glocks and love them and do very well with them. If you can shoot it well,t hen it is a valid choice.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-19-2020, 5:12 PM
Calier Calier is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 72
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

The CZ P01 is a fun gun to shoot, if you like compacts. If not, then the SP01 would be my choice.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2020, 5:28 PM
aca72's Avatar
aca72 aca72 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 2,343
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
However, I want the gun to be a straight shooter and fun experience at the range.
Add this to your "Choices/Considering" list: Beretta Px4 Storm

It also fits your requirements.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MGB0hx5r8I
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2020, 5:36 PM
Tarmy's Avatar
Tarmy Tarmy is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,119
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Ummm...8.5k thru it...one failure to feed...likely me limp wristing it...

SA Loaded...9mm

AD15C1EB-CE49-4532-AB9D-4CC253D72C77.jpg
__________________
Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2020, 5:49 PM
Erion929's Avatar
Erion929 Erion929 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So. Orange County, CA.
Posts: 4,241
iTrader: 66 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
Hey guys,

Just thinking of getting a Fun/shooting range handgun.

Requirement: Full size (Glock 19 exception), budget: under $550 - $700 ish (could go up to $800 for a sweet package), 9MM Only, maybe used for HD.

Choices/Considering: CZ Sp-01, CZ 75G Omega, Glock 34 or Glock 19, Springfield/Colt,RIA,Kimber (etc) in 1911 (full size).

I don't know if I should further customize the gun - as said, it could be used as HD gun too, that's why I want to have very minimum customization. However, I want the gun to be a straight shooter and fun experience at the range. I have been considering a 1911, a CZ, or a Glock (never had any of them). I do have a Sig P226, which is different than all these. 1911 seems like a good shooter and fun of owning one, but has reliability/jamming issues in almost all brands under $1000. CZ & Glocks are utterly reliable - while CZ may make a great target/competition gun, Glock is just...a Glock, not sure why some people use it in competitions.

Hence my delima & confusion. What's your take on this... Thanks!

They’re all “straight shooters” and they are all “fun”....if you do your part. It’s not the gun

CZ, in your price range, is no “greater target/competition gun” than a “just a...Glock”, especially a G34.

G34 is a very accurate, 5” barrel, soft-shooting 9mm....excellent for range or HD. Yes, used in competitions MORE than basic CZs.

.
__________________
Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!

Last edited by Erion929; 01-19-2020 at 5:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2020, 5:53 PM
alland alland is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanford
Posts: 414
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

STI Eagle 9mm, CZ75 with CGW SAO hammer and trigger, and Springfield Range Officer 9mm are my range guns. I can change the barrel and extractor in the STI and it is a 40 S&W. I shoot it mostly as a 9.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-19-2020, 6:06 PM
redhemi's Avatar
redhemi redhemi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,132
iTrader: 42 / 100%
Default

I have 3 full size 1911s and out of the box no problems from any of them. The only problem you would have is leaving it stock for HD and they are out of your price range. I would say a CZ SP01, 75b SA or just a 75b. All good shooters with the SP taking the lead with the weight of the rail making for quicker follow up shots. If you own a Glock and like it stick with that but if you can try out a CZ your Glocks will soon be gathering dust in the safe.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-19-2020, 6:30 PM
static2126 static2126 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,282
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

9mm 1911s are very fun guns too
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-19-2020, 7:42 PM
checkenbach checkenbach is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,259
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

You could just mod your 226 and save some cash. I just put a Gray guns flat trigger/ improved trigger bar set along with a 17 Lb hammer spring in my 228, and it made a HUGE difference. Now for better sights and an SRT kit.
That said, I have a few Glocks, and they do all that they are asked, and easy to mod, but the triggers are an acquired taste. I have a Springfield 9mm 1911 too, it’s a sweet shooter, super accurate too. I had issues with early model Wilson Combat mags, but they have changed the follower, and they work ok. I have since moved to MetalForm mags, they all run perfectly.
I have been interested in CZ’s lately, and rented an SP-01, it was super accurate, very controllable, and the ergonomics were great too. This will probably be my next gun. I strongly recommend renting, or shooting a friends gun that you are interested in, holding one in the gun store may be different than shooting one.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-20-2020, 4:48 PM
.40Cal's Avatar
.40Cal .40Cal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hayward, Bay Area
Posts: 1,238
iTrader: 0 / 100%
Default

Seems CZ and 1911's are in the lead.

Love to have either, since I don't have either of them. 1911 looks classic, feel classic, and sweet.

2 cons: 8 / 9 rounds only in most 9mm 1911's. And reliability is still not 100% in a 9mm 1911. I feel guns are like airplanes, you need 100% reliability. CZ on the other hand, is gaining my interest as well.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-20-2020, 4:55 PM
dave85620 dave85620 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 337
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Beretta 92fs, Cz p01 or Glock 19.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-20-2020, 5:57 PM
recpark99 recpark99 is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 360
iTrader: 109 / 100%
Default

All mentioned are just fine, seems like you're leaning towards a CZ. They're great guns, easy to disassemble, customizable. Some people don't like 1911's because of the disassembly, once you've done it a few times it's very easy. Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-20-2020, 6:13 PM
JR18's Avatar
JR18 JR18 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Fresno.
Posts: 318
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

CZ SP01 makes an amazing range toy but I shoot my Glock 19 more then any gun I own.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-20-2020, 7:38 PM
Handgunther Handgunther is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 73
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I would suggest you try them and compare the different choices you're considering.

A 9mm 1911 is a ton of fun because it shoots so softly, and my Springfield is a very nice and very reliable model. It never misfires. The trigger is the main attraction, plus you get 10 rounds instead of 8. With a front FO sight, it's hard not to put it in the range bag.

The CZ SP-01 fits me like a glove thanks to the contoured grips, and is crazy accurate. I understand why so many people love it. You can also upgrade the crap out of it if you get the bug. You can even make it into a creamy .22LR with their Kadet kit. The Tactical Sport is much different and much nicer for target shooting; but for the price, an SP-01 is very hard to beat. I own both. I would imagine the Beretta 92FS is the closest competitor in that price range.

I'm not a Glock fan, so I'll withhold my opinion. Polymer 9mm guns are not the most fun to shoot at the range, IMO; but they are very popular. I love my M&P9, but I enjoy shooting my heavier guns more.

None of these guns feels anything like a 226. The 226 Scorpion was the first pistol I fell in love with, and I bought a Nitron and upgraded it w/SRT so it shoots almost exactly like the Scorpion. But after trying more brands/models, especially CZ, the 226 started to feel very bulky and fat compared to other all-metal pistols, even my 1911s. These guns are all so great and reliable, the weapon(s) I take with me usually come down to the caliber and feel of the gun in my hand. It can be a very personal decision, but it's all just for fun.

You're looking at some good choices. Good luck and happy hunting!

P.S. With the DA/SA action, night sights, rail and de-cocker, the 226 is an awesome HD gun!

Last edited by Handgunther; 01-20-2020 at 8:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-20-2020, 8:02 PM
tuna quesadilla tuna quesadilla is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: A Free State
Posts: 4,666
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
You already have a P226 which what I prefer to shoot for fun and HD over any of the other guns you listed. Maybe look into the SP2022 or Beretta M9/92fs.

The only CZs I think are worth having are the Shadow 2, TS and 97b. The TS is way out of your price range.
I have to agree with this part. I'm sorry to say that this will probably offend some people, but I think that all the people who rave about the base model CZ75s and CZ75 SP01s have probably never actually a shot a truly nice handgun. Because a base model CZ75/SP01 is really a pretty rough handgun with a mediocre-at-best trigger.

I would not buy a CZ as a "fun" gun unless you were either willing to spend hundreds of dollars Cajunizing it, or unless you were willing to go straight to the top of the line like the Shadows and the TSs.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-20-2020, 8:45 PM
brownfeathermedic's Avatar
brownfeathermedic brownfeathermedic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego,Ca.
Posts: 428
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Even though 1911”s have standard 7-8 rnds, my 2 Colts run flawlessly. The Nickel One has had ejection port , trigger work, chamfered edging on mag port, and the Blue, only trigger work and polishing ramp. I would not trade them for the world. I ve always been enamored with 1911”s
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-20-2020, 8:49 PM
Garv's Avatar
Garv Garv is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal South Bay
Posts: 6,297
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

I have the most fun with my G34.
SP-01 is a close second.
__________________
Originally posted by Kestryll:
It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 PM
.40Cal's Avatar
.40Cal .40Cal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hayward, Bay Area
Posts: 1,238
iTrader: 0 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handgunther View Post
I would suggest you try them and compare the different choices you're considering.

A 9mm 1911 is a ton of fun because it shoots so softly, and my Springfield is a very nice and very reliable model. It never misfires. The trigger is the main attraction, plus you get 10 rounds instead of 8. With a front FO sight, it's hard not to put it in the range bag.

The CZ SP-01 fits me like a glove thanks to the contoured grips, and is crazy accurate. I understand why so many people love it. You can also upgrade the crap out of it if you get the bug. You can even make it into a creamy .22LR with their Kadet kit. The Tactical Sport is much different and much nicer for target shooting; but for the price, an SP-01 is very hard to beat. I own both. I would imagine the Beretta 92FS is the closest competitor in that price range.

I'm not a Glock fan, so I'll withhold my opinion. Polymer 9mm guns are not the most fun to shoot at the range, IMO; but they are very popular. I love my M&P9, but I enjoy shooting my heavier guns more.

None of these guns feels anything like a 226. The 226 Scorpion was the first pistol I fell in love with, and I bought a Nitron and upgraded it w/SRT so it shoots almost exactly like the Scorpion. But after trying more brands/models, especially CZ, the 226 started to feel very bulky and fat compared to other all-metal pistols, even my 1911s. These guns are all so great and reliable, the weapon(s) I take with me usually come down to the caliber and feel of the gun in my hand. It can be a very personal decision, but it's all just for fun.

You're looking at some good choices. Good luck and happy hunting!

P.S. With the DA/SA action, night sights, rail and de-cocker, the 226 is an awesome HD gun!
Looks like you're LIVING MY Life... Lol. You got all the toys I'm dreaming of or considering... Your honest feedback would be valuable, since I don't have much of a choice to shoot/experience these guns.

What model of Springfield 1911 in 9MM do you have? How come it's never had ejection or feed issues? 1911 would be great to have - it's like a gun owner's dream gun, if not for the issues & price.

CZ SP-01 generally gets great range reviews, without any issues. It looks sexy (not as much as 1911, but 2nd close), CZ's fit the hand well. If it has a rail, can be good for HD as well. And with upgrades turned into a smooth shooter, close to Shadow.

As for the P226, I bought it 2nd hand, and is a basic 226 with rails, and hogue grip (with finger grooves). It's always reliable, but there's Nothing very personal or natural about it. I mean it shoots Okay, no issues, but I don't get that "personal feel" with a 226. I also bought it bcuz it's one the the best gun you could own and not very pricey + 5 Mags. And it was my 1st Handgun, and I thought I'd never need/ or buy another one - no point in having more than one 9mm. . I think most people buy it bcuz they know it's a great/reliable gun - but there's nothing Natural/ Personal about it (like CZ fit, or 1911 trigger). It came with the skinny (SRT) type trigger. Maybe needs some internals cleaned up/polished from Sig Factory...


Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
I have to agree with this part. I'm sorry to say that this will probably offend some people, but I think that all the people who rave about the base model CZ75s and CZ75 SP01s have probably never actually a shot a truly nice handgun. Because a base model CZ75/SP01 is really a pretty rough handgun with a mediocre-at-best trigger.

I would not buy a CZ as a "fun" gun unless you were either willing to spend hundreds of dollars Cajunizing it, or unless you were willing to go straight to the top of the line like the Shadows and the TSs.
A Shadow is about 1000. SP01is about 550-650. A good trigger job, grips, hammer, and springs could make it the same as Shadow, which is basically a suited/upgraded SP01. So yeah, down the road $300 or so should get it to the same level as Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownfeathermedic View Post
Even though 1911”s have standard 7-8 rnds, my 2 Colts run flawlessly. The Nickel One has had ejection port , trigger work, chamfered edging on mag port, and the Blue, only trigger work and polishing ramp. I would not trade them for the world. I ve always been enamored with 1911”s
I get it - hence my debate about the 1911 Vs CZ Vs Glock...

Last edited by .40Cal; 01-20-2020 at 11:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-21-2020, 6:56 AM
Beendare's Avatar
Beendare Beendare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sf bay area
Posts: 572
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Range gun eh? You already have a excellent defensive handgun in the 226.

Considering that all a guy can do is hold the pistol, aim and fire at the range...

I would say a 1911 framed gun in .45 or 9mm.....accurate plinkers.

....
__________________
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole
------------------------
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-21-2020, 6:59 AM
newbieLA newbieLA is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 78
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

STI 2011 in 9mm and Kimber 1911 in 45 are my 2 favorite range guns. The triggers on those guns can't be beat.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-21-2020, 8:16 AM
Handgunther Handgunther is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 73
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40Cal View Post
Looks like you're LIVING MY Life... Lol. You got all the toys I'm dreaming of or considering... Your honest feedback would be valuable, since I don't have much of a choice to shoot/experience these guns.

What model of Springfield 1911 in 9MM do you have? How come it's never had ejection or feed issues? 1911 would be great to have - it's like a gun owner's dream gun, if not for the issues & price.
Great minds think alike... (Also the CA gun roster keeps the choices to a minimum)

I just have the basic Springfield 1911-A1 Target - it's not like there are a lot to choose from... Frankly I'm not super familiar with other people's experience with that gun, or why a 9mm 1911 wouldn't shoot well, but for me it's been fantastic. I'm impressed with the Springfield - and it looks classy, for sure! It does hold 10 rounds of 9mm - not the 8 rounds others have mentioned. It's so soft, I could shoot that gun all day.

The SP-01 is a more tactical pistol, and it can be upgraded almost as much as a 1911. You get it...it's an excellent inexpensive gun that can easily be made into an excellent expensive one. I had a lot of people tell me to try it before I bought one, and I'm very glad I did. (I was shocked to learn that I actually decided I prefer shooting the CZ over of the 226) After thousands of rounds, I can't remember one FTF or problem with the gun. It is the most perfect gun out of the box I've bought in a long time.

Tough choices. I can foresee that you might eventually wind up with more than one of these guns in you arsenal...

Last edited by Handgunther; 01-21-2020 at 8:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-21-2020, 1:11 PM
JTROKS's Avatar
JTROKS JTROKS is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorCal - Bay Area
Posts: 11,652
iTrader: 130 / 100%
Default

These are what I consider my range guns in 9mm. The Glock 35 has a 40-9 conversion barrel. Although they are used mostly for range and competition I can honestly say I can effectively use them for defense.

23FE6DF9-DAE9-4C01-9CC3-86F3BDB00EFB.jpg
__________________
The wise man said just find your place
In the eye of the storm
Seek the roses along the way
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-23-2020, 2:02 PM
uscmarine uscmarine is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 49
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've been searching for a fun 9mm range gun as well.
When looking for range gun, I really focus on the barrel length.
I have hk p2000sk and it's 3.26inches. it's a good gun but it's good for CCW not range gun.

Here are my top candidates. Maybe you have some in common.

1. G34 - 5.32"- striker Glock
2. PX9130L - 5" - hammer 1911 Springfield
3. PI9134L - 5" - hammer 1911 springfield

This is only one's in 9mm that are 5" or more barrel length. If you find anything else, please let me know.
There's cz target model but it's discontinued and hard to find so I did not include it.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-23-2020, 5:54 PM
rjunkfilter rjunkfilter is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 13
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

If you get your 75b omega and decide that you dont like it, let me know and I’ll buy it
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-23-2020, 6:03 PM
Handgunther Handgunther is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 73
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmarine View Post
Here are my top candidates. Maybe you have some in common.

1. G34 - 5.32"- striker Glock
2. PX9130L - 5" - hammer 1911 Springfield
3. PI9134L - 5" - hammer 1911 springfield

This is only one's in 9mm that are 5" or more barrel length. If you find anything else, please let me know.
There's cz target model but it's discontinued and hard to find so I did not include it.
The Kimber Stainless Target [1911] 9mm II is also CA Compliant; also the 92FS M9A1 - they are both 5". The Kimber looks very nice...I've never seen it before.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-23-2020, 6:09 PM
hunterb's Avatar
hunterb hunterb is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SGV
Posts: 3,267
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

1911 9mm's are FUN. Especially if you go to a range that allows rapid fire.
PEW PEW PEW!

That or the CZ-SP01 are my choices.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-23-2020, 6:31 PM
JoyfulJoker JoyfulJoker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Flat Earth:)
Posts: 136
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I am on a limited budget . I’ve shot a P-01 for a good while. While the ergonomics are superior to a P229, you can’t beat the Sig SRT and trigger without upgrades. It’s my EDC so I couldn’t do anything but put a lot of rounds through it and polish the internals.

For my budget , I opted for an SP-01. Out of the box , I shoot it best. I’m going to put a CGW package in it , plus grips and sights . That’s still cheaper than a Legion or a Shadow 2. I just don’t have $2200 to spend on a pistol. Got the SP-01 used for $550 and it was in mint condition ( a little dirty inside). Even with upgrades and Kyle at 29 Outdoor Gear working his magic , it will be around 900 ish.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-23-2020, 8:20 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is online now
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,627
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

I have have/had all 4 : Springfield 1911 in 9mm, CZ SP-01, Glock 34, and Sig P226. Sold all of them except G34 and SP-01.

1911 - didn't like the ergonomics (straight grip, external safety obstructs the grip), low capacity. Fieldstrip is bothersome.

Sig P226 - comfortable grip, but has high bore axis that feels like a fulcrum.

Glock 34 - accurate and softer shooter than G17, due to longer barrel and longer sight radius. Grip angle hurts my wrists.

CZ SP01 - most comfortable to shoot (grip is fantastic), soft recoil, accurate, low bore axis. Negative is hard to rack to clear a malfunction because the slide is thin. For a range toy, CZ all day everyday. For HD, slide could be an issue, but not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-23-2020, 9:34 PM
Verdha603's Avatar
Verdha603 Verdha603 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 47
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

For the budget your presenting I'd point to towards a CZ; low recoiling, 9mm is easily available, and the only downside I've seen is not all gun shops sell magazines for them, but that's why its usually better to buy the mags all in one go so you don't have to go shopping for more.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-24-2020, 8:19 AM
uscmarine uscmarine is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 49
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Is G34 the longest 9mm barrel on the CA roaster with 5.32"?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:40 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2020, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.
Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Tactical Gear Military Boots 5.11 Tactical