Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-19-2020, 8:08 AM

Default Shot shell reloading

Thinking of starting to reload my shells for upland and waterfowl. Is it worth the time? Is the savings there compared to buying hevi shot for $20 a box? Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2020, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusgunn3 View Post
Thinking of starting to reload my shells for upland and waterfowl. Is it worth the time? Is the savings there compared to buying hevi shot for $20 a box? Thoughts?

I don't know that i would say it's worth it "just" for the reason of saving money. (1/2 the cost probably)

Consider the satisfaction of mastering another outdoorsman craft,

that it is an enjoyable pastime and that either ITX or Bismuth kill humanely pretty comparable to lead and are not going to damage grandpas gun.

Me i just perforated a bunch of snow geese and watched them fly back onto the Salton Sea refuge leaking oil when steel first became a requirement and will never do that to a living thing again.

If you add in another craft (pouring lead) and buy a buck shot

mold......see where i'm going with this?

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star

Last edited by stonefly-2; 01-19-2020 at 9:36 AM..
Old 01-19-2020, 11:02 AM

Tungsten super shot 15g/cc #7 is deadly on ducks - I shot about 25lb worth this season and was impressed with the range and single shot folded birds. Best part is you can go with a ‘light’ 1oz load in 2.75” hulls that outperform factory 3.5” shoulder destroyers.

Totally worth it and reloading gives you something to do outside of hunting season.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depends how much you are going to shoot? If just a few times a year then not so much, I reload 4 different gauges and shoot every weekend and have tailored my loads to what my gun likes, So yea worth it for me.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanboyle View Post
Tungsten super shot 15g/cc #7 is deadly on ducks - I shot about 25lb worth this season and was impressed with the range and single shot folded birds. Best part is you can go with a ‘light’ 1oz load in 2.75” hulls that outperform factory 3.5” shoulder destroyers.

Totally worth it and reloading gives you something to do outside of hunting season.
How much does that round cost to load per a shell out of curiosity?
Old 01-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the responses, I think Im going to get a loader and try out some bismuth and tungsten loads. I am not shooting every weekend but I am convinced!
Old 01-19-2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, I think Im going to get a loader and try out some bismuth and tungsten loads. I am not shooting every weekend but I am convinced!

You will find that ITX is much cheaper than Bismuth or tungsten,
it works fine.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sh...partments/271/

You will have the ability to craft loads for a specific gun and purpose you didn't before.

Example....if you were limited to one mod. 870 with a 28" bbl in full choke you could load "spreader loads" for close in work on quail or if you have a shotgun with a more open choke designed for steel you could load buffered loads for better pattern density at range.

Having the ability to roll your own the way things are going these days is good too.

Old 01-19-2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
How much does that round cost to load per a shell out of curiosity?
Not cheap - $1.87/rd but I usually only need 1 per duck. #7 shot makes for a dense pattern. Few cripples.
Old 01-19-2020, 5:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get a Mec Jr press it's easy to use and not a lot to figure out. Hodgeon loading guide for shotguns is easy to use and will give you the recipe's for what ever hull you are going to reload. If I can be of help in any way P.M me.

Last edited by whutsup40; 01-21-2020 at 9:21 AM..
Old 01-20-2020, 8:13 AM

Everything everyone else said, PLUS it allows you to take control of your ammo back from the state of California. No bull**** background checks and fees to do so, and no more being on some list of how much you are buying and of what.
Old 01-20-2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Not cheap - $1.87/rd but I usually only need 1 per duck. #7 shot makes for a dense pattern. Few cripples.
That's expensive! I'm shooting factory steel loads at .40 cents a round and I kill alot of ducks and geese. Hell my 10 gauge costs less at 1.00 TO 1.25 per round! And the funny thing is I gripe about those prices lol
Old 01-20-2020, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That’s actually not bad. I might look into that. Is the 1.87 max sale price with reloaded hull or just everyday price?
Old 01-21-2020, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
That’s actually not bad. I might look into that. Is the 1.87 max sale price with reloaded hull or just everyday price?
$1.87 includes a new Cheddite primed hull. I could definitely go cheaper but I like using new hulls for duck loads - my Versamax launches the empties into the mud/water and I prefer not to re-use.

Here's the load data if you are interested (everything ordered from BPI):

Cheddite 2.75" pre-primed hulls (clear)
36gr Longshot powder
PT1253 wad
1oz. TSS15 #7 (buy when it goes on sale in 20# bags)
2x 14FW20 fiber wads (load into wad under shot payload)
OS12 shot card

Loaded on a Mec 8567n Grabber (skip the resize/deprime/powder/shot stations). Manually weigh powder/shot charges on RCBS chargemaster. Finish everything off with a dab of hot glue to seal the ends from moisture.

Load chrono'd around 1575FPS, recoils lighter than most 3" duck shells, and kills them birds.
Old 01-21-2020, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8Mud View Post
That's expensive! I'm shooting factory steel loads at .40 cents a round and I kill alot of ducks and geese. Hell my 10 gauge costs less at 1.00 TO 1.25 per round! And the funny thing is I gripe about those prices lol
Oh I feel you man - Thing is I reload everything I hunt with (except .22). The stock tank I get my ducks on is less than an acre and some days we are lucky to get 4-5 flights of shootable birds. Since my shooting volume is low, I can accept the higher cost for a better shell. Still cheaper than factory loaded ITX13/Tungsten15.

My TX buddies call me crazy but I still load Barnes TTSX for my .308s for deer/hogs despite escaping California 2 years ago. More expensive, not required, but they just work. Guess I am turning into a bit of a curmudgeon...
Old 01-21-2020, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Since my shooting volume is low, I can accept the higher cost for a better shell.
Well, that and being A good enough shot to get a limit of ducks in 6 rounds helps!
Old 01-21-2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
$1.87 includes a new Cheddite primed hull. I could definitely go cheaper but I like using new hulls for duck loads - my Versamax launches the empties into the mud/water and I prefer not to re-use.

Here's the load data if you are interested (everything ordered from BPI):

Cheddite 2.75" pre-primed hulls (clear)
36gr Longshot powder
PT1253 wad
1oz. TSS15 #7 (buy when it goes on sale in 20# bags)
2x 14FW20 fiber wads (load into wad under shot payload)
OS12 shot card

Loaded on a Mec 8567n Grabber (skip the resize/deprime/powder/shot stations). Manually weigh powder/shot charges on RCBS chargemaster. Finish everything off with a dab of hot glue to seal the ends from moisture.

Load chrono'd around 1575FPS, recoils lighter than most 3" duck shells, and kills them birds.
Where are you buying your TSS15? At ballisticproducts.com it is $500 for a 20 pound bag, and that's the sale price.
Old 01-21-2020, 3:24 PM

I order from BPI and the 1oz of shot is the majority of the load cost @ $1.55. There are some other sellers that I need to try but for now I have enough to last me until the end of next season.

Breakdown:
Primed hull $0.12/ea ($11.99/100)
Pt1253 wad - $0.043/rd ($10.99/250)
Longshot 36gr $0.11/rd ($22 per lb/194rounds)
1oz tss15 1 $1.55/rd ($499/20lb ~ 320 1oz loads)
2fiber wads - $0.035/rd ($8.99/250)
Os card - $0.015/rd ($7.99/500)

Ive also tried a duplex TSS15 #7 (3/4oz) / ITX13 #4 (3/8oz) load that patterns nicely and drops birds but the extra weighing step with the 2 types of shot is a pain.
Old 01-21-2020, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Well, that and being A good enough shot to get a limit of ducks in 6 rounds helps!
Pfffftt........ I can do better than that.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 01-21-2020, 6:44 PM

I am thinking of some 1 1/8th bismuth for ducks, then figure out some dove and pheasant loads. Does anyone load steel? Or is it worth just upgrading material because of the work involved? I understand you can get better results from the other options, and shooting well regardless of load haha. I was way off this past weekend doh!
Old 01-21-2020, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I’ve found steel to work well enough for dove. They tend to come in heavy and are easy to retrieve. It’s quail I keep losing. Not to mention loading some Hevi shot coyote rounds.
Old 01-21-2020, 7:02 PM

Forgot to mention - Boss shotshells are pretty good too. Bismuth #5 seem to pattern as well as my tungsten loads. Might be a good in-between value for those who want something ‘better’ than steel but not as pricey as the big W.
Old 01-21-2020, 7:24 PM

Anyone reload 10 gauge for waterfowl?
Old 01-21-2020, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am thinking of some 1 1/8th bismuth for ducks, then figure out some dove and pheasant loads. Does anyone load steel? Or is it worth just upgrading material because of the work involved? I understand you can get better results from the other options, and shooting well regardless of load haha. I was way off this past weekend doh!
I load bismuth for my 16s, and will start loading for my 12s. I'd load something heavier as per the aforementioned recipe (which looks freaking awesome) but I already have a stack of bismuth and I use a lot of older shotguns.

I thought about loading steel but I feel it's not worth it. If I load 1 oz of bismuth purchased from Rotometals my overall price for comes in around a dollar if I can use once fired hulls. If I shoot an entire case of ammo that's only $250/year which I feel is reasonable.
Old 01-22-2020, 9:47 AM

As far as spent hulls, should I reload them according to their original purpose? IE: dove load = reload for dove, 3 inch hevi duck load = reload for ducks? I have a bunch of random hulls from all different loads. Thank you everyone for the great wealth of knowledge! I am chomping at the bit now with all this excitement!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
As far as spent hulls, should I reload them according to their original purpose? IE: dove load = reload for dove, 3 inch hevi duck load = reload for ducks? I have a bunch of random hulls from all different loads. Thank you everyone for the great wealth of knowledge! I am chomping at the bit now with all this excitement!
Nope, doesn't really matter.

Use 2-3/4 inch hulls unless you need more room for more shot, then use 3 inch hulls.

Low brass or high brass doesn't matter.

Premium target hulls are nicer and can be reloaded more than promo loads.

It's been a while since I've been checked but the first time I was checked for non-lead compliance while duck hunting the warden/ranger/whomever had a 'Hot Shot' thing that he put the shell in. It measured the density, came up as non-lead, and I was good to go. The last time I was checked the person had to go back to his truck and (ostensibly) look it up on the internet. I imagine I'll get some flack one of these days for loading bismuth in old Remington game load . hulls, but all they'll have to do is check it.

Just don't mix up your lead and non-lead loads.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Use 2-3/4 inch hulls unless you need more room for more shot, then use 3 inch hulls.

It's been a while since I've been checked but the first time I was checked for non-lead compliance while duck hunting the warden/ranger/whomever had a 'Hot Shot' thing that he put the shell in. It measured the density, came up as non-lead, and I was good to go. The last time I was checked the person had to go back to his truck and (ostensibly) look it up on the internet. I imagine I'll get some flack one of these days for loading bismuth in old Remington game load . hulls, but all they'll have to do is check it.

Using the all the same brand/type hull is a deal too though,

different internal volumes etc.

I guess AA would be about most popular for their durability?
Peters green, peters blue, yada yada.

I have a life time supply of Activ 2 3/4" and i can say for sure recipes are not "one size fits all.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Using the all the same brand/type hull is a deal too though,

different internal volumes etc.

I guess AA would be about most popular for their durability?
Peters green, peters blue, yada yada.

I have a life time supply of Activ 2 3/4" and i can say for sure recipes are not "one size fits all.
Yes, I didn't mean to say that hulls are all interchangeable for any given recipe. Just that you don't have to use cheap field load hulls for doves and non-handicap trap, AA hulls for skeet and skeet only, and 3 inch hevi coyote hulls for shooting varmints.

You can use about any hull for any purpose so long as you have a recipe for such. I.e. feel free to use AA hulls for bismuth duck loads, 3 inch hevi coyote hulls for shooting turkeys, and low brass field load hulls for shooting geese.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, I didn't mean to say that hulls are all interchangeable for any given recipe. Just that you don't have to use cheap field load hulls for doves and non-handicap trap, AA hulls for skeet and skeet only, and 3 inch hevi coyote hulls for shooting varmints.

You can use about any hull for any purpose so long as you have a recipe for such. I.e. feel free to use AA hulls for bismuth duck loads, 3 inch hevi coyote hulls for shooting turkeys, and low brass field load hulls for shooting geese.

Yes sir,

i knew you knew that i was just filling out the info for the new guy.

Old 01-23-2020, 5:53 PM

Thank you boys, good to know info for me. I will bug y’all again when I get stuck hah. Happy hunting and good luck for closers!
Old 01-24-2020, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I load bismuth for upland birds. Chickens get 1-1/4oz of #4. Around $1.50 per shell or very close to Rio bismuth rounds (though I think mine are a bit better).

I use standard lead style wads.

Superior product to steel.

A decent treatise:

https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/bismu...size-analysis/

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-24-2020, 11:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
If you're going to load high brass, I would recommend a reloader with a resizer.

Like a Mec sizemaster or steelmaster.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

A lot of "hunting" hulls aren't very conducive to reloading. Recipes are rather hull specific as well.

Hodgdon has quite a few recipes for bismuth.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-25-2020, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

My bismuth loads go in different hulls (color) than anything else I shoot. Using Rem Gun Clubs for my chicken rounds. Good and cheap (range pick-ups). My target loads get more premium hulls.

All my 12g stuff is color-coded. Wish 20g had more colors. I have some green Fiocchi, but most are yellow. Can still separate by hull.

#Blackolivesmatter