Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 04-30-2021, 8:20 PM

Default Velcro setup for your bag?

I've never had an off body carry set up, so I bought the Vertex bag that has the velcro / ccw compartment and I'm trying to figure out how to set up a kydex holster with a mag holder / side car to be able to stay in it securely, and also be able to pull it out of there and wear it appendix if I need to.

So far my best idea is to put the scratchy velcro on the back of the holster so it will hold to the bag, and then put the soft velcro on one of those wedges so I can wear it without it scratching the heck out of me.

I've seen the many different kinds of vertx tactigami style holsters, but I'm uncomfortable having a glock in one of those.

Please let me know what you guys have done or seen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

New / Edited comment:
I'm adding this new comment I just made to this original post as it's a more complete thought, and not everyone reads the entire thread before commenting:

I'm trying to set up two different bags for my Glock 19. I'm kinda thinking this through while reading everyone's comments and while writing my own, so I'm not married to any of the things I'm saying. Any problems with my logic, or better ideas that you may have, I'm open to hearing all thoughts and criticisms!

The two bags I ordered are:

Helikon-Tex Urban Line, Bandicoot Waist Pack.
This is a fanny pack. Hahaha. Feel free to make jokes. I get it, but I love fanny packs, and live in LA so when it's 110 degrees, I'm in boardshorts. And to be honest, I'm totally new to CCW, so this helps me adjust without buying a completely new wardrobe. I can see what works and still have the luxury of defaulting to the bag. My goal is to always have the gun with me, even if that means adding a few seconds to my draw. But you can totally make fun of me. I got an older brother. I'm used to it. haha.

Vertx Ready Pack 2.0 (backpack)

They both have the soft velcro and I just need to figure out how to attach my holster in them. Right now I'm thinking of converting my Vedder AIWB holster to be the dedicated "bag / velcro" holster. I have a ton of belt attachments, so I can change from clips to the snap kind.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to add the semi permanent velcro to it, or if I can find some kind of strap that will hold it securely when I'm drawing it from the bag.

I need to mess with the retention so it's tight enough that I don't worry about the gun slipping out of the holster, but also that it's not so tight that when I draw the holster doesn't come out of the bag.

Obviously the two bags have different sized compartments so I will be more limited in the fanny pack.

As I said, I'm thinking this through so I'm going to edit this comment into my original post since this seems more thought out and complete.

Thanks for any help, advice, or just for pointing out what I'm doing wrong even if you don't know what a better idea is. It will give me something to think about.

Your pal,
jerdog3

Last edited by jerdog3; 05-02-2021 at 6:02 AM.. Reason: I'm smarter today. Haha
Old 05-01-2021, 4:35 PM

Nice, Iím about to do the same, let me know how it works. Iím thinking of doing loop part of Velcro on my holster then sticking 2 pieces of hook part together to easily remove when I remove from the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2021, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Instead of taping the velcro to the holster, could you buy a couple of velcro straps and simply strap the holster into the pack?

I also don't know what type of belt mounts your holster has but is there a way to utilize those to further help secure the holster in the pack?

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-01-2021, 9:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Holsters are cheap

Buy a dedicated one for you and a second for your bag

Kydex is just a plastic.

Clean the holster well
Wipe down with 90% rubbing alcohol to get rid of oils

Use sticky Velcro.

One can use additional fasteners if needed - if the Velcro does not hold.

Schedule time to take new gun owners to the range
Old 05-01-2021, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Check out Crossbreed modulate. They have some specific to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2021, 4:37 AM

Great answers and questions everyone! Yes I night get a dedicated kydex holster just for this, and I'll look into other mounting systems.

Keep the ideas and advice coming, and I will update you all on any success or setbacks I have. Unfortunately I've opted for the cheapest shipping options with some of the bags and supplies, so this may take a while.
Old 05-02-2021, 5:31 AM

which Vertex bag are you using for this?
Old 05-02-2021, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket of deplorables View Post
which Vertex bag are you using for this?
I'm trying to set up two different bags for my Glock 19. I'm kinda thinking this through while reading everyone's comments and while writing my own, so I'm not married to any of the things I'm saying. Any problems with my logic, or better ideas that you may have, I'm open to hearing all thoughts and criticisms!

The two bags I ordered are:

Helikon-Tex Urban Line, Bandicoot Waist Pack.
This is a fanny pack. Hahaha. Feel free to make jokes. I get it, but I love fanny packs, and live in LA so when it's 110 degrees, I'm in boardshorts. And to be honest, I'm totally new to CCW, so this helps me adjust without buying a completely new wardrobe. I can see what works and still have the luxury of defaulting to the bag. My goal is to always have the gun with me, even if that means adding a few seconds to my draw. But you can totally make fun of me. I got an older brother. I'm used to it. haha.

Vertx Ready Pack 2.0 (backpack)

They both have the soft velcro and I just need to figure out how to attach my holster in them. Right now I'm thinking of converting my Vedder AIWB holster to be the dedicated "bag / velcro" holster. I have a ton of belt attachments, so I can change from clips to the snap kind.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to add the semi permanent velcro to it, or if I can find some kind of strap that will hold it securely when I'm drawing it from the bag.

I need to mess with the retention so it's tight enough that I don't worry about the gun slipping out of the holster, but also that it's not so tight that when I draw the holster doesn't come out of the bag.

Obviously the two bags have different sized compartments so I will be more limited in the fanny pack.

As I said, I'm thinking this through so I'm going to edit this comment into my original post since this seems more thought out and complete.

Thanks for any help, advice, or just for pointing out what I'm doing wrong even if you don't know what a better idea is. It will give me something to think about.

Your pal,
jerdog3
Old 05-02-2021, 9:47 AM

I live in OC so not too far from you and weather is not much different from where you are.

I carry my glock 19 with the T-rex sidecar. Its smooth and I really like it. I have been in your situation also in search of something to carry in a fanny pack or off body carry for hiking, etc...But never found anything i liked. Like to be as grey as possible.

I go hiking a lot and have just got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. Yes you will sweat more in that area because of the appendix carry but it is what it is. Its a Hydex holster so i don't care.

What does concern me is the sweat onto the gun.
I have 19 MOS with RMR. I can see small amount of rust forming between the mounting plates and slide.

I currently have the mid-guard on the Sidecar holster. I had even bought the full guard but it doest really cover the part where the mounting plate and RMR mount together.

I think i would need to attach a small leather piece to the holster to help cover that exposed area. I don't think i will do it however. Will just periodically remove and clean it up. Its a tool so I don't care.
Old 05-02-2021, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

If your holster has soft loops, you could run a velcro stap through each soft loop and attach the strap to the soft velcro of the bag. I would think this would be enough to keep the holster from pulling out when you draw the gun.

But if you needed more reinforcement, you could run a velcro strap around the section between the holster and sidecar, and then attach that to the pack too. Add a strap around the main body of the holster, and I would think it would all be pretty darn secure.

Fighter Pilot
Old 05-03-2021, 5:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm old, fat, and just don't care anymore so I carry mine in a "man bag" .. or you may call it purse hahaha. I got tired of the IWB holsters ruining shirts and pants and the weight always trying to pull my pants down. And there was no way I could quickly get my gun out of the 4:00 IWB while sitting in a car.
My bag is made out of brown canvas, so not too girly looking. It has 4 zippered "pockets" in descending size. The largest pocket is closest to my body. I went to Tandy Leather and got a piece of kydex, some velcro and some rivets. I cut the kydex to size, drilled holes for the rivets, then covered the kydex with a sheet of velcro and riveted it in the bag. Then I bought one of these for about $12 https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-U...st_sto_dp&th=1
It works great for me. Really cheap and efficient way to go. I carry all my crap in the bag - gun, spare mags, light, pen, notepad, hand sanitizer, phone, wallet, key fob, kleenex etc. And the bag really isn't that big. Saves a lot of time emptying and reloading pockets too.
Old 05-03-2021, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

If you're going to use a waist pack, use one that is designed specifically to carry a gun but doesn't look "tactical." Galco makes several waistpack that are designed to give quick access to the gun and relatively inconspicuous.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 05-09-2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
If you're going to use a waist pack, use one that is designed specifically to carry a gun but doesn't look "tactical." Galco makes several waistpack that are designed to give quick access to the gun and relatively inconspicuous.
I'm not happy with the fanny pack I got. It's too small. It is a really tight fit to get my gun, phone and wallet in. Forget about anything else that would normally go in an EDC fanny pack. I will have to look for another one. This one looks great, and is not tactical looking at all. Oh well.

Here is what I ended up doing to both secure my holsters in the EDC bags, and to make the holsters more comfortable. I included pictures below in case you don't want to read what I did and can figure it out from looking at the pics. That's what I would do.

I removed the Tier 1 Concealed foam wedge ($15 + shipping). Even though I ordered the wide option, it was still too narrow and was like getting a noogie in my groin all day. Instead of that, I bought "VELCRO Brand Extreme Tape Strips 4 x 2 Inch 2 Sets Holds 15 lbs" ($4 +free prime shipping). I put the hook side on the back of both my kydex holsters so they can both stick to the loop side of the EDC bags, and I put the loop side to "Dr. Schollís Comfort Heel Cushions for Men, 1 Pair, Size 8-13" ($6 + free prime shipping). NOTE: I Gorilla Glued the gel sides together so the soft and nice part will rub against me. I saw a YouTube video where a guy said the gel part stuck to his skin and his under garments.

Now, I can comfortably wear the holsters with the Dr. Scholl's gel "wedges" that work just as well as Tier 1 Concealed wedges (unless you need an extra-large wedge. These aren't as big, but work great for me and are much, much more comfortable. But someone pointed out that I could just use two Teir 1 wedges right next to each other and it would be wider and not so poky.

OK, I think I bored you enough with all that, and I'm sure most of you skipped it and just looked at the pics. Good luck Y'all!

jerdog3
Old 05-10-2021, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog3 View Post
I'm not happy with the fanny pack I got. It's too small. It is a really tight fit to get my gun, phone and wallet in. Forget about anything else that would normally go in an EDC fanny pack. I will have to look for another one. This one looks great, and is not tactical looking at all. Oh well.

Here is what I ended up doing to both secure my holsters in the EDC bags, and to make the holsters more comfortable. I included pictures below in case you don't want to read what I did and can figure it out from looking at the pics. That's what I would do.

I removed the Tier 1 Concealed foam wedge ($15 + shipping). Even though I ordered the wide option, it was still too narrow and was like getting a noogie in my groin all day. Instead of that, I bought "VELCRO Brand Extreme Tape Strips 4 x 2 Inch 2 Sets Holds 15 lbs" ($4 +free prime shipping). I put the hook side on the back of both my kydex holsters so they can both stick to the loop side of the EDC bags, and I put the loop side to "Dr. Schollís Comfort Heel Cushions for Men, 1 Pair, Size 8-13" ($6 + free prime shipping). NOTE: I Gorilla Glued the gel sides together so the soft and nice part will rub against me. I saw a YouTube video where a guy said the gel part stuck to his skin and his under garments.

Now, I can comfortably wear the holsters with the Dr. Scholl's gel "wedges" that work just as well as Tier 1 Concealed wedges (unless you need an extra-large wedge. These aren't as big, but work great for me and are much, much more comfortable. But someone pointed out that I could just use two Teir 1 wedges right next to each other and it would be wider and not so poky.

OK, I think I bored you enough with all that, and I'm sure most of you skipped it and just looked at the pics. Good luck Y'all!

jerdog3
As long as you make it work for you and test it out to look for any trouble spots, that's all that matters. Good luck with your setup.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee