Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Default Reloading Barrett .416 M99 Ammo.

Sure could use a little guidance here. Just bought Barrett's .416 M99 and realized none of my current reloading equipment & tools are going to work. I've been reloading for about two years now and feel like I'm getting pretty proficient at it for the 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 and .338, but this thing is going to be a beast. I've got a million questions as to presses, dies, priming installation devices as well as where to find brass cases for the darn thing. Barrett is completely sold out and wonder if there's anyone out there who might be necking down 50 BMG cases????

I contacted Lapua to see if they had plans on producing the brass, which was a waist of time. Currently, I've been looking at the RCBS AmmoMaster 50BMG press along with a number of other goodies RCBS has to offer. I'll be using my Giraud case trimmer to trim the cases. The AMP Annealer isn't going to work for the .416, so I'm going to have to come up with something different...... Not sure if the Hornady neck turning tool (Lathe) is going to work or the Redding Neck Thickness Gauge.... Might have to machine a special guide rod and pilot..... Any recommendation will be deeply appreciated....
Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Probably overkill for what you may be looking for, but I'm guessing the various vids should address some of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNw...rMKg/playlists

Last edited by drkphibr; 07-18-2017 at 3:48 PM..
Old 07-18-2017, 1:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Years ago, Mr Kabota posted a thread about how he has made .416 brass.

As far as dies go, try CH4D.
Nothing beats a M2 Precision primer tool but, it is expensive.
K&M has 50BMG flash hole deburing tools, primer pocket uniforming tools and should easily be able to make a .416 neck turner too.
For presses, RCBS or Hornady are good options. Of course, Corbin and Walnut Hill swaging presses also work well. Lee (proprietary die size), Dillon, Ten-X, Hollywood, etc are other presses that 50BMG shooters use.

Why isn't the AMP going to work? Have you contacted them and asked them if your machine can be adapted? BTW, I have seen a few home built induction annealers purpose built for 50BMG cases.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-18-2017, 1:25 PM

off topic but I have a LNIB Barrett M99 for sale/trade if anyone is interested. Not a scuff, scratch blemish anywhere to be found. Impulse buy.

Comes with Barrett Scope rings, Barrett Bipod, and 60 rounds of 416 factory ammunition. Priced to sell at $2850.

New father. PLENTY of bills and expenses.
Old 07-18-2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Years ago, Mr Kabota posted a thread about how he has made .416 brass.

As far as dies go, try CH4D.
Nothing beats a M2 Precision primer tool but, it is expensive.
K&M has 50BMG flash hole deburing tools, primer pocket uniforming tools and should easily be able to make a .416 neck turner too.
For presses, RCBS or Hornady are good options. Of course, Corbin and Walnut Hill swaging presses also work well. Lee (proprietary die size), Dillon, Ten-X, Hollywood, etc are other presses that 50BMG shooters use.

Why isn't the AMP going to work? Have you contacted them and asked them if your machine can be adapted? BTW, I have seen a few home built induction annealers purpose built for 50BMG cases.
AMP got back to me a couple of days ago and said the larger brass cases caused a great deal more heat within the unit. They said they've been working on heat barriers and internal fans, but haven't progressed far enough to start producing the new unit. Yep, it'll require buying a second unit, which ain't gonna be cheap! Just got off the line with 21st Century who has a neck turning lathe available, along with expander dies and mandrels.....

Last edited by BarrettMRAD; 07-18-2017 at 8:50 PM..
Old 07-19-2017, 6:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettMRAD View Post
AMP got back to me a couple of days ago and said the larger brass cases caused a great deal more heat within the unit. They said they've been working on heat barriers and internal fans, but haven't progressed far enough to start producing the new unit. Yep, it'll require buying a second unit, which ain't gonna be cheap! Just got off the line with 21st Century who has a neck turning lathe available, along with expander dies and mandrels.....
I spoke with AMP about 50's at SHOT this year. I knew they were working on something and figured that they would have figured it out by now. I know that I sent some 50 brass to someone who collected small lots from different people and sent it all to them last year. So, they've been working on the idea for a while now.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-19-2017, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I spoke with AMP about 50's at SHOT this year. I knew they were working on something and figured that they would have figured it out by now. I know that I sent some 50 brass to someone who collected small lots from different people and sent it all to them last year. So, they've been working on the idea for a while now.
Yes, they're working on this new unit for the .416/50BMG, which they said will be a stand alone unit, plus a unit that will be capable of handling everything, but it's cost will be considerably more. Unfortunately I already went to the expense for the one handling everything up to the .338 Lapua. As far as I'm concerned the AMP unit is the best thing since sliced bread and am not interested in any of the propane based units.

Until a number of these brass cartridge manufacturers get on the stick in producing brass for the .416 Barrett, there's always going to be a shortage. I'm considering investing in some forming dies to convert the 50 BMG cases to the .416 Barrett. I read somewhere where Armalite is going to be adopting the .416 Barrett round into their AR-50 line, which should increase sales into California...
Old 07-19-2017, 7:08 PM

Wish I knew, I want one so bad, but just so far out of my budget these days....maybe one day.

OP you have a good problem to have
Old 10-11-2018, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose556 View Post
off topic but I have a LNIB Barrett M99 for sale/trade if anyone is interested. Not a scuff, scratch blemish anywhere to be found. Impulse buy.

Comes with Barrett Scope rings, Barrett Bipod, and 60 rounds of 416 factory ammunition. Priced to sell at $2850.

New father. PLENTY of bills and expenses.

Let me know if you still got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 6:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also, it'd be nice to get an update on the topic. I've been considering a bolt action for long range target. I'd like to invest in the .416 if it made sense.