Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > Temp Post-Duncan Mag Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:03 PM
God God is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Anyone have a hard time getting mags out of state during the legal period?

I went to Arizona and visited a few small gun shops on Thursday 4-4-19. Both of them asked me if I was from California and they both refused to sell to me if I was because standard capacity mags "are" illegal in California. One of them actually asked to see my Arizona State ID... First of all they were completely legal this week and second of all you would think they would want to support our 2nd amendment rights. What a shame.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:05 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,611
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quite the opposite whenever I have been in AZ/NV/TN. Your money is as good as local money, no laws there concerning magazines.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:09 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,270
iTrader: 57 / 100%
Default

^^this. Should be none of their business.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:16 PM
glamisfan glamisfan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

No problem here. One of the stores that Iíve been told wonít sell ammunition to somebody with a California license sold me magazines no problem. They did ask for my ZIP Code and I was like oh crap I have no idea what any Arizona ZIP Codes are so I gave them mine and they still sold to me.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:22 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,611
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Where are you guys shopping? Bass Pro or some big corporate store like that? I have never once been asked for ID buying ammo (or a magazine for that matter) when I'm out of state, never, and I've done it countless times.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:27 PM
God God is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Where are you guys shopping? Bass Pro or some big corporate store like that? I have never once been asked for ID buying ammo (or a magazine for that matter) when I'm out of state, never, and I've done it countless times.
It was a tiny shop in Phoenix that asked me for ID. I'd rather not publicly shame it. I thought it was ridiculous though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:48 PM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,611
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
It was a tiny shop in Phoenix that asked me for ID. I'd rather not publicly shame it. I thought it was ridiculous though.
In the end we all have to do what we feel is right, and the shop owner may have felt for whatever reason his livelihood and the means to support his family might be at risk. His call.

Yeah no reason to name it, I just wondered if it was big box or mom/pop.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:55 PM
God God is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
In the end we all have to do what we feel is right, and the shop owner may have felt for whatever reason his livelihood and the means to support his family might be at risk. His call.

Yeah no reason to name it, I just wondered if it was big box or mom/pop.
I got the sense from both shops that they were afraid of litigation. One told me their lawyers advised them not to sell to California residents. The one that asked me for ID just didn't know that standard capacity mags have been legal all week and I just didn't want to argue.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2019, 6:57 PM
M14 Junkie's Avatar
M14 Junkie M14 Junkie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 472
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
I went to Arizona and visited a few small gun shops on Thursday 4-4-19. Both of them asked me if I was from California and they both refused to sell to me if I was because standard capacity mags "are" illegal in California. One of them actually asked to see my Arizona State ID... First of all they were completely legal this week and second of all you would think they would want to support our 2nd amendment rights. What a shame.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
First, that's incomprehensible that anyone would in a free state ask you and/or give a reason that you say they did and not sell you magazines. It's not a firearm.

It's no skin off their nose to sell anyone mags face to face in their state no matter what state you're from.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2019, 7:12 PM
Lex Talionis's Avatar
Lex Talionis Lex Talionis is online now
Loose Cannon Factory
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 439
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Quite the opposite whenever I have been in AZ/NV/TN. Your money is as good as local money, no laws there concerning magazines.

Re: AZ--- yes and no.

For example, in Prescott that damn J&G sales demands entering your D/L into their database for ammo purchases.
__________________


THE LAW OF RETALIATION
Leviticus 24:19Ė21 "an eye for an eye" (עין תחת עין‬, ayin tachat ayin)

Last edited by Lex Talionis; 04-05-2019 at 7:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-05-2019, 7:16 PM
God God is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 Junkie View Post
First, that's incomprehensible that anyone would in a free state ask you and/or give a reason that you say they did and not sell you magazines. It's not a firearm.

It's no skin off their nose to sell anyone mags face to face in their state no matter what state you're from.
Exactly, I couldnt believe it. I figure dont ask dont tell. Seemed a bit social justice warrior like for them to even ask.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-05-2019, 7:24 PM
bluecattledog's Avatar
bluecattledog bluecattledog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: sf east bay
Posts: 62
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

2 different purchases in NV over the last few years. Only thing I was asked was if I wanted them to keep the packaging!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-05-2019, 7:31 PM
God God is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecattledog View Post
2 different purchases in NV over the last few years. Only thing I was asked was if I wanted them to keep the packaging!
Ive had the same experience in Nevada. I'm let down with Arizona however
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-05-2019, 8:30 PM
Mar10 Mar10 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 52
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Same in Vegas..went to another gs and no problem
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-05-2019, 8:45 PM
colossians323's Avatar
colossians323 colossians323 is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,447
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
I went to Arizona and visited a few small gun shops on Thursday 4-4-19. Both of them asked me if I was from California and they both refused to sell to me if I was because standard capacity mags "are" illegal in California. One of them actually asked to see my Arizona State ID... First of all they were completely legal this week and second of all you would think they would want to support our 2nd amendment rights. What a shame.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
LOL, NV will sell to you all day long. Seems like a nice troll post
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE!

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-05-2019, 9:13 PM
Armistice's Avatar
Armistice Armistice is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Corona
Posts: 2,657
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

I happened to be in UT. Bought mags while there and I was never asked questions
__________________
March 29- April 5, 2019- The Million Mag March. Thank you, Judge Benitez and all the vendors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-05-2019, 9:38 PM
sirgrumps's Avatar
sirgrumps sirgrumps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,581
iTrader: 98 / 100%
Default

In the past, the Cal DOJ has threatened Las Vegas stores with legal action if the sell magazines in California Residents. Many of these places are Mom and Pop operations, who would win the legal battle, the process of winning is the punishment. Remember the Cal DOJ and the City of SFO went after a dealer in Oregon, Texas, and Nevada for selling "re-build" kits. It may have driven Exile Machine out of the selling gun parts business.

I was denied buying magazines from Tombstone Tactical in Phoenix for I suspect the same reason. They said, even though selling me hi-cap mags in Arizona is legal, the are worried that the Cal DOJ would come after them if a receipt from them was found. The irony is that they were for a friend I was visiting in AZ for his 60th birthday.

Again, selling me the mag in AZ would be legal, but if someone were to cross the border, the DOJ could charge them with conspiracy or something. Again , the process would be the punishment.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-05-2019, 9:43 PM
dvaz dvaz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 79
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

How about other free non-neighboring, say Tennessee? Anyone got experience with those, do they also ask for ID's?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Doheny's Avatar
Doheny Doheny is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Prescott, in the pines
Posts: 12,813
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
LOL, NV will sell to you all day long. Seems like a nice troll post

What gave it away? His screen name, post count or join date?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Doheny; 04-06-2019 at 8:27 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-06-2019, 7:04 AM
kcstott kcstott is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,715
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

found a shop in Ohio once they had Metal Ak mags, I asked the price, It was a good price I just don't remember what it was. He asked how many I wanted, I ask how many he had, he came back with a box of like 18 or so, I took all of them. made the credit card smoke and even showed my California DL for credit card id. Guy didn't blink, didn't care.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-06-2019, 7:07 AM
Dano3467 Dano3467 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 85 mi south of Oregon
Posts: 6,642
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Op..Joined in April with 9 posts, & this is the Q:

Huh
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-06-2019, 7:38 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,611
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
Re: AZ--- yes and no.

For example, in Prescott that damn J&G sales demands entering your D/L into their database for ammo purchases.
Thanks for the heads up. Wal Mart is really cheap by the way... I've never bought ammo in Prescott but the only thing they asked me for in Kingman was money.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-06-2019, 3:03 PM
Kreature96 Kreature96 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 32
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I was i Phoenix when the news broke. Bought from several stores all knew i was from California. No issues. One store ever knew of the case and asked me how many did I want.

Last edited by Kreature96; 04-06-2019 at 3:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-06-2019, 4:52 PM
bronco75a's Avatar
bronco75a bronco75a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 573
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I'm envisioning Calif residents asking AZ residents going into a gun shop to buy mags for them just like underage kids ask adults going into liquor stores to buy booze for them.

Too funny.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-06-2019, 5:02 PM
mshill's Avatar
mshill mshill is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,210
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I purchased at Scheels, Cabellas, and a small shop in Reno/Sparks. They don't care where you are from. One guy at Scheels had so many mags in his cart, I thought he was stocking the shelves. when I checked out the girl at the register asked... "stocking up?" Oh, yea!!
__________________
Quote:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-06-2019, 5:11 PM
tsmithson tsmithson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 623
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Donít you know the stench of CA official corruption lingers on your clothes, so free Americans are offended by the smell.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-06-2019, 5:21 PM
erik_26's Avatar
erik_26 erik_26 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,146
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
I went to Arizona and visited a few small gun shops on Thursday 4-4-19. Both of them asked me if I was from California and they both refused to sell to me if I was because standard capacity mags "are" illegal in California. One of them actually asked to see my Arizona State ID... First of all they were completely legal this week and second of all you would think they would want to support our 2nd amendment rights. What a shame.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
When you are in Arizona, even if you are a resident of another state, you are bound by Arizona law.

Just like Arizonians cannot bring their SCM, or unneutered ARs and the likes into California. Just like Arizonians must follow California Transportation laws when in California.

When Californian's go to Arizona, we can add prohibited features by definition in California to our weapons while in Arizona. Arizona law is enforceable in Arizona, not California law.


You do not need any excuse to purchase SCM in Arizona or any other free state for that matter. But, it is very feasible for someone to have property, or a vacation home, or family or friends in Arizona. Maybe you would like to leave your property there before returning to California. Maybe you are on a temporary work assignment that will keep you in the state with temporary residence for months at a time. Like I said, it really doesn't matter. Where you are from is not their concern and you should have told them as such.
__________________
1/15/2019 - Started my California Exit Strategy. Actively applying for jobs in states I would prefer to live in.

While I am in the infancy stages of my quest, it actually felt really good to finally start taking action.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Humboldt Leatherneck's Avatar
Humboldt Leatherneck Humboldt Leatherneck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods
Posts: 265
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
What gave it away? His screen name, post count or join date?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looking at the post history made by 'God', all concerning the SCM issue only!
__________________
Member of the N.R.A., Marine Corps League, and American Legion.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:43 AM
mopeddog mopeddog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 109
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Will these shops be reatocked by Easter weekend? Asking for a friend.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:29 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.