Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > Temp Post-Duncan Mag Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2019, 6:03 PM

Default Anyone have a hard time getting mags out of state during the legal period?

I went to Arizona and visited a few small gun shops on Thursday 4-4-19. Both of them asked me if I was from California and they both refused to sell to me if I was because standard capacity mags "are" illegal in California. One of them actually asked to see my Arizona State ID... First of all they were completely legal this week and second of all you would think they would want to support our 2nd amendment rights. What a shame.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 04-05-2019, 6:05 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quite the opposite whenever I have been in AZ/NV/TN. Your money is as good as local money, no laws there concerning magazines.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-05-2019, 6:09 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^^this. Should be none of their business.
Old 04-05-2019, 6:16 PM

No problem here. One of the stores that Iíve been told wonít sell ammunition to somebody with a California license sold me magazines no problem. They did ask for my ZIP Code and I was like oh crap I have no idea what any Arizona ZIP Codes are so I gave them mine and they still sold to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2019, 6:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Where are you guys shopping? Bass Pro or some big corporate store like that? I have never once been asked for ID buying ammo (or a magazine for that matter) when I'm out of state, never, and I've done it countless times.

Old 04-05-2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Where are you guys shopping? Bass Pro or some big corporate store like that? I have never once been asked for ID buying ammo (or a magazine for that matter) when I'm out of state, never, and I've done it countless times.
It was a tiny shop in Phoenix that asked me for ID. I'd rather not publicly shame it. I thought it was ridiculous though.
Old 04-05-2019, 6:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
It was a tiny shop in Phoenix that asked me for ID. I'd rather not publicly shame it. I thought it was ridiculous though.
In the end we all have to do what we feel is right, and the shop owner may have felt for whatever reason his livelihood and the means to support his family might be at risk. His call.

Yeah no reason to name it, I just wondered if it was big box or mom/pop.

Old 04-05-2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
In the end we all have to do what we feel is right, and the shop owner may have felt for whatever reason his livelihood and the means to support his family might be at risk. His call.

Yeah no reason to name it, I just wondered if it was big box or mom/pop.
I got the sense from both shops that they were afraid of litigation. One told me their lawyers advised them not to sell to California residents. The one that asked me for ID just didn't know that standard capacity mags have been legal all week and I just didn't want to argue.
Old 04-05-2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
I went to Arizona and visited a few small gun shops on Thursday 4-4-19. Both of them asked me if I was from California and they both refused to sell to me if I was because standard capacity mags "are" illegal in California. One of them actually asked to see my Arizona State ID... First of all they were completely legal this week and second of all you would think they would want to support our 2nd amendment rights. What a shame.

First, that's incomprehensible that anyone would in a free state ask you and/or give a reason that you say they did and not sell you magazines. It's not a firearm.

It's no skin off their nose to sell anyone mags face to face in their state no matter what state you're from.
Old 04-05-2019, 7:12 PM
Loose Cannon Factory
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quite the opposite whenever I have been in AZ/NV/TN. Your money is as good as local money, no laws there concerning magazines.

Re: AZ--- yes and no.

For example, in Prescott that damn J&G sales demands entering your D/L into their database for ammo purchases.

THE LAW OF RETALIATION
Leviticus 24:19Ė21 "an eye for an eye" (עין תחת עין‬, ayin tachat ayin)

Last edited by Lex Talionis; 04-05-2019 at 7:15 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14 Junkie View Post
First, that's incomprehensible that anyone would in a free state ask you and/or give a reason that you say they did and not sell you magazines. It's not a firearm.

It's no skin off their nose to sell anyone mags face to face in their state no matter what state you're from.
Exactly, I couldnt believe it. I figure dont ask dont tell. Seemed a bit social justice warrior like for them to even ask.
Old 04-05-2019, 7:24 PM

2 different purchases in NV over the last few years. Only thing I was asked was if I wanted them to keep the packaging!
Old 04-05-2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecattledog View Post
2 different purchases in NV over the last few years. Only thing I was asked was if I wanted them to keep the packaging!
Ive had the same experience in Nevada. I'm let down with Arizona however
Old 04-05-2019, 8:30 PM

Same in Vegas..went to another gs and no problem
Old 04-05-2019, 8:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

LOL, NV will sell to you all day long. Seems like a nice troll post

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 04-05-2019, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

I happened to be in UT. Bought mags while there and I was never asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 04-05-2019, 9:38 PM

In the past, the Cal DOJ has threatened Las Vegas stores with legal action if the sell magazines in California Residents. Many of these places are Mom and Pop operations, who would win the legal battle, the process of winning is the punishment. Remember the Cal DOJ and the City of SFO went after a dealer in Oregon, Texas, and Nevada for selling "re-build" kits. It may have driven Exile Machine out of the selling gun parts business.

I was denied buying magazines from Tombstone Tactical in Phoenix for I suspect the same reason. They said, even though selling me hi-cap mags in Arizona is legal, the are worried that the Cal DOJ would come after them if a receipt from them was found. The irony is that they were for a friend I was visiting in AZ for his 60th birthday.

Again, selling me the mag in AZ would be legal, but if someone were to cross the border, the DOJ could charge them with conspiracy or something. Again , the process would be the punishment.
Old 04-05-2019, 9:43 PM

How about other free non-neighboring, say Tennessee? Anyone got experience with those, do they also ask for ID's?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
LOL, NV will sell to you all day long. Seems like a nice troll post

What gave it away? His screen name, post count or join date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Doheny; 04-06-2019 at 8:27 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-06-2019, 7:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

found a shop in Ohio once they had Metal Ak mags, I asked the price, It was a good price I just don't remember what it was. He asked how many I wanted, I ask how many he had, he came back with a box of like 18 or so, I took all of them. made the credit card smoke and even showed my California DL for credit card id. Guy didn't blink, didn't care.
Old 04-06-2019, 7:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Op..Joined in April with 9 posts, & this is the Q:

Huh
Old 04-06-2019, 7:38 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
Re: AZ--- yes and no.

For example, in Prescott that damn J&G sales demands entering your D/L into their database for ammo purchases.
Thanks for the heads up. Wal Mart is really cheap by the way... I've never bought ammo in Prescott but the only thing they asked me for in Kingman was money.

Old 04-06-2019, 3:03 PM

I was i Phoenix when the news broke. Bought from several stores all knew i was from California. No issues. One store ever knew of the case and asked me how many did I want.

Last edited by Kreature96; 04-06-2019 at 3:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-06-2019, 4:52 PM

I'm envisioning Calif residents asking AZ residents going into a gun shop to buy mags for them just like underage kids ask adults going into liquor stores to buy booze for them.

Too funny.
Old 04-06-2019, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

I purchased at Scheels, Cabellas, and a small shop in Reno/Sparks. They don't care where you are from. One guy at Scheels had so many mags in his cart, I thought he was stocking the shelves. when I checked out the girl at the register asked... "stocking up?" Oh, yea!!
Old 04-06-2019, 5:11 PM

Donít you know the stench of CA official corruption lingers on your clothes, so free Americans are offended by the smell.
Old 04-06-2019, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

When you are in Arizona, even if you are a resident of another state, you are bound by Arizona law.

Just like Arizonians cannot bring their SCM, or unneutered ARs and the likes into California. Just like Arizonians must follow California Transportation laws when in California.

When Californian's go to Arizona, we can add prohibited features by definition in California to our weapons while in Arizona. Arizona law is enforceable in Arizona, not California law.

You do not need any excuse to purchase SCM in Arizona or any other free state for that matter. But, it is very feasible for someone to have property, or a vacation home, or family or friends in Arizona. Maybe you would like to leave your property there before returning to California. Maybe you are on a temporary work assignment that will keep you in the state with temporary residence for months at a time. Like I said, it really doesn't matter. Where you are from is not their concern and you should have told them as such.

While I am in the infancy stages of my quest, it actually felt really good to finally start taking action.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:38 AM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
What gave it away? His screen name, post count or join date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looking at the post history made by 'God', all concerning the SCM issue only!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:43 AM

Will these shops be reatocked by Easter weekend? Asking for a friend.