Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2016, 2:49 PM
Just Dave Just Dave is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,260
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Richard Dawkins says...

I think he's on to something!

http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...mething-worse/

Quote:
“There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings,” Dawkins said. “I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline of Christianity, in so far as Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse,” he said.
Christianity isn't on the decline but he's getting close on one point. Christianity is most definitely a bulwark against all things evil including death.
Maybe he'll figure that out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2016, 3:06 PM
Alan Block Alan Block is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,876
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Christianity isn't on the decline but he's getting close on one point. Christianity is most definitely a bulwark against all things evil including death.
Maybe he'll figure that out.
Christianity as well as most other organized religions are on the decline in the US. Catholicism is increasing a bit due to immigration. The number of people who affiliate as 'None' is growing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2016, 3:20 PM
VAReact's Avatar
VAReact VAReact is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hell, eh?
Posts: 1,520
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

So death is evil?
__________________
NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member (Defenders' Club)
CCRKBA Life Member
Madison Society Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2016, 3:27 PM
Just Dave Just Dave is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,260
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Block View Post
Christianity as well as most other organized religions are on the decline in the US. Catholicism is increasing a bit due to immigration. The number of people who affiliate as 'None' is growing.
Dawkins is a Brit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAReact View Post
So death is evil?
Depends how you define it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2016, 7:35 PM
mossy's Avatar
mossy mossy is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: equestria
Posts: 6,362
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

ha, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. maybe yall should work on converting him. Dawkins renouncing atheism would send liberal/progressive heads spinning.
__________________
best troll thread in calguns history
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Not at all. Trump is a loser and will lose amazingly on Tuesday. It's going to be so big, we are all going to be sick and tired of how much he loses on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Nah, no sense in replying to the personal attacks/baiting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2016, 6:50 PM
Mute's Avatar
Mute Mute is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Diamond Bar
Posts: 6,813
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Hard to believe Dawkins uttered these words.
__________________
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page


NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2016, 4:35 AM
Just Dave Just Dave is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,260
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Hard to believe Dawkins uttered these words.
If you are a real open minded person and study history/world religions it's as clear as day that Christianity is the bedrock of a civilized society.
Everywhere that Christianity has been allowed to flourish has resulted in a far superior form of society.

Contrary to popular belief it's not a "westernized" culture, it's a Christianized culture.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2016, 6:35 AM
bounty1 bounty1 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Inland Empire San Bernardino
Posts: 496
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAReact View Post
So death is evil?
Inquire within..caaaaaaalm.......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2016, 1:15 PM
Mute's Avatar
Mute Mute is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Diamond Bar
Posts: 6,813
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
If you are a real open minded person and study history/world religions it's as clear as day that Christianity is the bedrock of a civilized society.
Everywhere that Christianity has been allowed to flourish has resulted in a far superior form of society.

Contrary to popular belief it's not a "westernized" culture, it's a Christianized culture.
I'm not surprised at the content, but rather who said it.
__________________
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page


NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2016, 1:34 PM
SWalt SWalt is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 5,823
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

He's realizing it a little late. In a couple generations Europe won't be the Europe of the last 1000+ yrs. Wonder if he will realize it was science (not the hard sciences) that destroyed it?
__________________
^^^The above is just an opinion.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-14-2016, 1:49 PM
Just Dave Just Dave is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,260
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
I'm not surprised at the content, but rather who said it.
That's why I think the blinders are coming off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWalt View Post
He's realizing it a little late. In a couple generations Europe won't be the Europe of the last 1000+ yrs. Wonder if he will realize it was science (not the hard sciences) that destroyed it?
He's a Brit. Folks like him have been working diligently to remove God from every corner of British life and now that they've done that the devil steps in.
This is what he's seeing, he just doesn't realize it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 AM
tsa1 tsa1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: 951
Posts: 344
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Hard to believe Dawkins uttered these words.
Then you don't know anything about Dawkins or Atheists. Sure we like to troll you Christians sometimes because it's funny and you typically have thin skin, but we take Islam and it's systematic evil very serious. It's a religion that must be stopped from spreading. I honestly feel very bad for Christians stuck in the middle east, especially in Syria and Iraq.
__________________
" no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men."

Woodrow Wilson
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2016, 5:32 AM
colossians323's Avatar
colossians323 colossians323 is online now
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,445
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa1 View Post
Then you don't know anything about Dawkins or Atheists. Sure we like to troll you Christians sometimes because it's funny and you typically have thin skin, but we take Islam and it's systematic evil very serious. It's a religion that must be stopped from spreading. I honestly feel very bad for Christians stuck in the middle east, especially in Syria and Iraq.
If you think Christians have thin skin, try showing an atheist that more people in humanity have been killed in the name of atheism than the murders done in the name of all religions combined, and watch the lulz ensue.
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE!

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-28-2016, 5:17 AM
Abu Layth's Avatar
Abu Layth Abu Layth is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Interesting. Dawkins simply sidestepped the story of Samson the suicide "bomber" in the bible. "And Samson said, 'Let me die with the Philistines!' And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life." Book of Judges 16:30, Old Testament. And the first recorded suicide attack was during the crusades.. 144 christian crusaders blew up their own ship along with them inside to stave off the advancing muslim fleet.

Dawkin also forgot the mention the Tamil Tigers (non muslims), the first in modern history to employ suicide missions on civilian and government targets.
__________________

Last edited by Abu Layth; 03-28-2016 at 5:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-28-2016, 7:43 AM
Alan Block Alan Block is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,876
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

The Japanese Kamikaze attacks were earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-28-2016, 1:11 PM
Volksgrenadier's Avatar
Volksgrenadier Volksgrenadier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PDRK
Posts: 554
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

I prefer Barbarian Age "Western Civilization". Perhaps a return to the faith of the Aesir and Vanir, or Perun of the Slavs, or Tengri of the Mongols is in order.

It would certainly be the end of so anemic a Western World.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM
justMike justMike is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 343
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Necro-post of course but wanted to add this even older video interview of Dawkins.

If your convictions are less secure, don't watch it. Sort of promotes unbelief. Worth thinking about the subject if you are willing to do so. Many interesting thoughts IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Xn...ws6ZLRPSTP5FQy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-17-2019, 8:37 AM
Just Dave Just Dave is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,260
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Layth View Post
Interesting. Dawkins simply sidestepped the story of Samson the suicide "bomber" in the bible. "And Samson said, 'Let me die with the Philistines!' And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life." Book of Judges 16:30, Old Testament. And the first recorded suicide attack was during the crusades.. 144 christian crusaders blew up their own ship along with them inside to stave off the advancing muslim fleet.

Dawkin also forgot the mention the Tamil Tigers (non muslims), the first in modern history to employ suicide missions on civilian and government targets.
Samson original calling was to defeat the Philistines. When you read and understand what was going on it's really fascinating.

On your next point laying down your life to save others is a very noble cause.
There is no greater love than this that a man lays down his life for his friends. John 15:13

These are big differences from "convert or die"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-17-2019, 8:38 AM
Just Dave Just Dave is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,260
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justMike View Post
Necro-post of course but wanted to add this even older video interview of Dawkins.

If your convictions are less secure, don't watch it. Sort of promotes unbelief. Worth thinking about the subject if you are willing to do so. Many interesting thoughts IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Xn...ws6ZLRPSTP5FQy
That was pre 2012
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-17-2019, 9:45 PM
justMike justMike is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 343
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
That was pre 2012
So the ideas no longer fashionable,.. like self-flagellation as an example? I said it was older when I posted it. Thanks for the reply though!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:30 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.