Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-27-2017, 8:33 PM

Default STAY AWAY FROM DAVIDSON DEFENSE.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM DAVIDSON DEFENSE, THEIR PRODUCTS ARE NOT MIL SPEC, CHEAP *** STEEL. ITS NOT WORTH IT. SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS ON A BETTER COMPANY.

I bought a Davidson defense 16 inch upper from delta team tactical. While trying to remove the muzzle device on the upper It began to rotate while still attached to the upper. Upon closer inspection the barrel was unscrewing itself from the barrel extension due to the counter clockwise rotation. So I pulled the barrel out and attempted to remove the muzzle device by putting it into a bolted down vice, to no avail except testing my patience and winning. I tried heat, I tried oil, I tried brute force with the torque wrench nothing worked on this muzzle device. So I thought maybe I was trying to rotate it the wrong way so I put it back in the upper and rotated clockwise and ended up snapping the locking pin on the barrel extension that locks the barrel into the upper so it does not rotate. That's right snapped it sheared it straight off. Super low-quality cheap steel that should never see itself on an AR 15 or any firearm platform, I really expected better than this… I didn't expect high quality or even medium quality such as Palmetto but i expected better than airsoft quality, I honestly think a plastic barrel would be more sturdy than this. This was a waste of money a waste of time and a waste of patience I shall forever steer clear of Davidson defense. As for my experience with delta team tactical, they shipped fast they responded to my email fast, good customer service so far they still have an A in my book, Davidson defense doesn't even get an F because that's not low enough on the grading scale.

Last edited by dune870demon; 03-02-2017 at 10:33 PM..
Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 PM

Looks to be a good deal, I just wish they explicitly stated more info on the barrel and BCG.

If they used the same barrel listed on their site here, it shows as 4150; and the same BCG listed here, it shows as 9310 bolt.
Old 02-28-2017, 7:46 AM

Quick google search leads to some not so stellar reviews or delta socom seal team ranger tactical. YMMV
Old 02-28-2017, 8:53 AM

Ordered from them before and didn't have any issues. Shipping took a few days if I remember right but that was around Black Friday. Nothing unreasonable in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2017, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

I don't mind waiting with shipping, but I don't want to waste a couple hundred bucks on some poorly pieced together garbage.

Are there any other reviews on their parts? Some items look attractive, but for $100 more, I could buy from a more reputable place. And while that $100 more usually isn't much, it is when the upper is around $150-$200.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM

Well, I took the plunge for all of us.

The item shipped out yesterday, (ordered on the 17th). Comes from Utah. Says should be delivered Thursday or Friday, Ill hit the range over the weekend and be back with a report on quality..
Old 02-28-2017, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dune870demon View Post
Well, I took the plunge for all of us.

The item shipped out yesterday, (ordered on the 17th). Comes from Utah. Says should be delivered Thursday or Friday, Ill hit the range over the weekend and be back with a report on quality..
keep us updated
Old 02-28-2017, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_DC View Post
Looks to be a good deal, I just wish they explicitly stated more info on the barrel and BCG.

If they used the same barrel listed on their site here, it shows as 4150; and the same BCG listed here, it shows as 9310 bolt.
I emailed them about who made their barrels. The response was "they are proprietary and we cannot divulge the manufacturer".

Whatever

Good luck Dune
Old 02-28-2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
I emailed them about who made their barrels. The response was "they are proprietary and we cannot divulge the manufacturer".

Whatever

Good luck Dune
That's a common response among high end and low end companies alike. I wouldn't take that alone as necessarily good or bad.

However, these reviews from 2016 raise a red flag for me:

http://theunapologeticindependent.bl...p/reviews.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/commen...team_tactical/

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...al-com.219824/
Old 02-28-2017, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheBrave View Post
That's a common response among high end and low end companies alike. I wouldn't take that alone as necessarily good or bad.

Roger that, thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheBrave View Post

I bought a cheap 308 brake from them a week ago and got some generic email saying orders may take 1-2 weeks to ship because of order volume depending on what was ordered. I took that as "you may or may not get your order in the next couple months"

I asked them to cancel it because it hadn't yet shipped. They said they'd try. Luckily it shipped the next day. I won't bother with anything from them anymore after reading the reviews.

Last edited by cal333; 02-28-2017 at 4:04 PM..
Old 02-28-2017, 4:30 PM

Bought the $200 7.62x39 upper kit last year.... Its not bad.
Shipping was a day or two longer than average.
Upper is by Brass Aluminium. Fit is... ok not tight. I've felt worst.
Barrel was ARD. Shot fine.
Gas block and tube is has cycled flawlessly.
Cheap light aluminium block set screws drilled off centered. No rust on tube.
Handguard and nut were POSes. Replaced with Noveske NSR clone.

Has shot and cycled just fine. Although it shoots a bit to the right. Not sure if its the upper or rail.
I got what I paid for.
Old 02-28-2017, 4:37 PM

I ordered a fluted match 16" upper from them with a BCG and charging handle. I'll post a review when I get it.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Marino's which one did you order?
Old 03-01-2017, 6:46 PM

The Davidson Defense 16" .223 Wylde 5.56 Match Fluted Stainless Steel Barrel 12" keymod handguard Complete Upper Receiver, AR-15 M16 M4 Davidson Defense Premium Complete Melonite Nitride bolt carrier group BCG, and Defense Extended Tac Latch Charging Handle X Latch.
Old 03-01-2017, 9:13 PM

Ordered a few days ago, credit card has been charged. Not so much as an email confirmation of my order. Not a great start.
Old 03-02-2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyGent View Post
Ordered a few days ago, credit card has been charged. Not so much as an email confirmation of my order. Not a great start.
I got an email confirmation the day after I placed my order. I placed mine on the 27th. Maybe shoot them an email. I'm sure they are backlogged right now so I don't expect any part of the process to be fast.
Old 03-02-2017, 4:13 AM

I ordered a bunch of stuff from them before, their carry handles are not to spec. They won't sit tight on the upper. They made me try it on all my uppers and sent me another one which didn't make a difference. After months of going back and forth, finally said they were going to issue me a refund back in October, never got it.

Probably never going to order from them again lolm just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2017, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinos View Post
The Davidson Defense 16" .223 Wylde 5.56 Match Fluted Stainless Steel Barrel 12" keymod handguard Complete Upper Receiver, AR-15 M16 M4 Davidson Defense Premium Complete Melonite Nitride bolt carrier group BCG, and Defense Extended Tac Latch Charging Handle X Latch.
thanks
Old 03-02-2017, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

thanks dune
Old 03-02-2017, 4:48 PM

Update on post #21
Old 03-02-2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
I twisted the barrel out of the M4 feed ramp adapter
If I read this correctly (you separated the barrel from the barrel extension), from what I understand the barrel and barrel extension should be torqued to something like 100+ ft/lbs, and clearly this was improperly assembled by Delta Team Tactical (or whoever they source their barrels from), resulting in both being basically scrap metal since there's no good way to re-align the gas block port to TDC when reattaching the barrel extension (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

Hope their CS makes it right.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 PM

You read that 1000% correct AC DC. It twisted out of the barrel extension with less than 30lbs of force( that's what my torque wrench is set to). Unbelievably cheap low grade crappy steel and gun smithing. I'm assuming that Delta Team buys these pre-assembled from Davidson. I hope..
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Casual Plinker
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I thought the pin that indexes it to the upper is also what locks it to the barrel.. wouldn't it have broken when it was the barrel extension was unscrewed from the barrel?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshih View Post
I thought the pin that indexes it to the upper is also what locks it to the barrel.. wouldn't it have broken when it was the barrel extension was unscrewed from the barrel?
I don't know, maybe for a actual mil spec barrel. This barrel twisted out of the barrel extension with less that 20lbs of pressure, my torque wrench was set 30 and never clicked and it didn't make me strain to rotate it...

Correction, checked the torque wrench and its at 25
Old 03-03-2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM DAVIDSON DEFENSE, THEIR PRODUCTS ARE NOT MIL SPEC, CHEAP *** STEEL. ITS NOT WORTH IT. SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS ON A BETTER COMPANY.

I bought a Davidson defense 16 inch upper from delta team tactical. While trying to remove the muzzle device on the upper It began to rotate while still attached to the upper. Upon closer inspection the barrel was unscrewing itself from the barrel extension due to the counter clockwise rotation. So I pulled the barrel out and attempted to remove the muzzle device by putting it into a bolted down vice, to no avail except testing my patience and winning. I tried heat, I tried oil, I tried brute force with the torque wrench nothing worked on this muzzle device. So I thought maybe I was trying to rotate it the wrong way so I put it back in the upper and rotated clockwise and ended up snapping the locking pin on the barrel extension that locks the barrel into the upper so it does not rotate. That's right snapped it sheared it straight off. Super low-quality cheap steel that should never see itself on an AR 15 or any firearm platform, I really expected better than this… I didn't expect high quality or even medium quality such as Palmetto but i expected better than airsoft quality, I honestly think a plastic barrel would be more sturdy than this. This was a waste of money a waste of time and a waste of patience I shall forever steer clear of Davidson defense. As for my experience with delta team tactical, they shipped fast they responded to my email fast, good customer service so far they still have an A in my book, Davidson defense doesn't even get an F because that's not low enough on the grading scale.
I'm not saying the barrel extension shouldn't have come out that easy but, why weren't you twisting the flash hider off with the barrel in the vice? Even if the barrel didn't separate from the barrel extension you would have likely snapped off the locking pin.
Old 03-03-2017, 5:07 AM

All these cheap price products are coming from oversea, most likely from China. They will work but the reliability and durability are the main concern.

Old 03-03-2017, 6:52 AM

I bought a couple stock kits and a Rise Armament trigger from them. Shipping took 3 weeks. All the parts for the stock kit appeared to be from the same manufacturer, but the end plates were slightly different and one had install marks on it. For $22 a kit, I didn't send them back... but I did send a pretty detailed email to customer service and heard nothing back.

I was really tempted to give them another try with one of their $50-$60 MLOK rails, but if I can't even get a "sorry we sold you used stuff, how can we make it up to you" response, they can KMA.
Old 03-03-2017, 7:17 AM

Bought their fully assembled upper with the "sig sauer 556 upper receiver".

They had to modify the upper to fit the gas tube they said. Well it was drilled to shat and tube shoved in there. Rails were made in China crap and the install was not to spec

Fte within 100 shots and the shell was stuck in there really good. Gas issue and with the way they drilled it. I tossed everything but the barrel.

Barrel seems okay, mine came with omega mfg ones.

You get what you pay for and yes shipping does take about 2 weeks but they Are up front about it.

Last edited by G SEDAN; 03-03-2017 at 7:19 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Everybody and their cousins are selling ar and ar parts now.
Mil spec means made to the specification required by US military and quality tested to pass such specs. Stuff that is made in China in only an attempt to make something that resembles a mil spec part. Never quality tested unless at the customers' expense.
Old 03-03-2017, 1:48 PM

ive dealt with companys that work with factories in china, sometimes things come out great, most often they do not. When metal arrives from china, they are quality controlled checked on US soil, then they are fixed, or rejected. some times the cost to fix the metal is worth it, sometimes not so much.

unfortunately because of the high turn over rate seen among chinese employees, you may get individuals who do not care to do quality work. So the quality is almost up to the day to day individual building your products sometimes. I often wondered why things could vary so much from product to product or day to day. Trust me, i've seen it all. However, not every USA made product is much better, generally they're more moderated and quality controlled, but its always up to each individual and their quality checked processes.
Old 03-03-2017, 2:22 PM

Upon initial unscrewing the muzzle device the barrel cant rotate. The locking pin wouldnt allow for that. The locking pin would have had to clear the upper receiver threads before rotating. It must have never been tightened and never fully inserted into the upper.
Also, why would you try clockwise for a right hand thread? Something was going to give. My money would have been on the upper lol. Speaking of which, did the upper survive?

Senator Leland Yee ^
Old 03-03-2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MERC124 View Post
Upon initial unscrewing the muzzle device the barrel cant rotate. The locking pin wouldnt allow for that. The locking pin would have had to clear the upper receiver threads before rotating. It must have never been tightened and never fully inserted into the upper.
Also, why would you try clockwise for a right hand thread? Something was going to give. My money would have been on the upper lol. Speaking of which, did the upper survive?
Read elsewhere on which way to turn.... Anyways, everything is good except the barrel. I'm still attempting to get the MD off.

I actually really like the upper/ rail, this stuff feels well made and its light weight.
Old 03-03-2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Read elsewhere on which way to turn.... Anyways, everything is good except the barrel. I'm still attempting to get the MD off.
Facing the muzzle, grabbing the muzzle device and turning clockwise (to the right) is tightening.
Facing the chamber, clamping the muzzle device in a vise while grabbing the barrel and turning clockwise (to the right) is tightening.

Facing the chamber, clamping the barrel in a vise while grabbing the muzzle device and turning clockwise (to the right) will loosen it.
Where you doing the last one?

Senator Leland Yee ^

Last edited by V8MERC124; 03-03-2017 at 4:56 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 6:22 PM

I purchased a Rise trigger from Delta Team a few months back. Stated in stock on website. Waited 4-5 business days and not even a conformation number. Had to contact them to find out status of order. They told me the triggers were sold out and would be a week or two till their next order but offered me their "no name" triggers that according to there personnel are better and selling faster then the triggers that were out of stock. Asked if the upgraded Rise trigger was in stock and they price quoted me an amount (that they said was their best price) that I easily beat by googling the trigger.

Overall was very displeased with their CS and general business, will stick with primary arms in the future.
Old 03-03-2017, 7:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why is this in the -

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Section

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 03-03-2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Why is this in the -

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Section

Started off as a deal I posted for Davidson Uppers from Delta Team Tactical.
Old 03-04-2017, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
Everybody and their cousins are selling ar and ar parts now.
Mil spec means made to the specification required by US military and quality tested to pass such specs. Stuff that is made in China in only an attempt to make something that resembles a mil spec part. Never quality tested unless at the customers' expense.

I've often wondered what is stopping from a company from just sending over say a well known quality complete upper/proprietary component to one of the reverse engineering firms over in China and asking for an exact replica. I know "import laws" bla, bla.

But in all honesty, unless it looks like a well known firearm part, the guy at the shipping port looking at connex boxes all day conducting import checks is not going to know what the hell he is looking at if they are un-assembled, and labeled "Vacuum dichromium, bi-posthumus contorumaniu, check valve assy."

Granted the part may "look" exactly like what the original piece you sent them for copy. And if you get lucky, it might even be made out of quality, or even superior metals. Some of the high end China manufacturers can replicate even the most intricate machined parts out of ultra-high grade steels, alloys, titaniums, etc.

But, of course, more likely than not its going to be made out of some zinc plated crap alloy with a tensile strength equal to injection molded plastic.
When you call up the company asking questions, all you will hear is "proprietary" I'm sure this has been done before, and is being done right now.

On a side note, if you had the QA capability and access to the high-quality China machine shops. I am just waiting for the day someone starts importing out-of-patent parts and components for U.S. assembly of foreign and domestic small arms. Not AR or AK's, mind you. But something like FN-49's, BAR M1918's, Dragunov's or a near infinite list of other cool military arms with fixed box mags, and bolt action design. Even something like a modern machined Luger seems like it would be in the realm of possibility. Not for collection, or historical purposes, but to have affordable, reliable exact replicas of things you always wanted to shoot, but have been too afraid of destroying with modern ammo.

Eventually,as 3D printing becomes more and more affordable/capable we will start to see it as custom order kits. But until we get there with alloy and materials tech, it seems like this should already be a thing. I'm sure someone will quip in and tell me why its impossible, but its not like we have a shortage of exact design specs, blueprints, etc.
Old 03-04-2017, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieShooter View Post
All these cheap price products are coming from oversea, most likely from China. They will work but the reliability and durability are the main concern.
I concur.

Might aswell buy directly from Aliexpress.

Beer, Explosives, and Food... can't beat that! -Anthony Bourdain
Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 PM

My order just came in today. I ordered a Melonite Nitride BCG, Extended Tac Latch Charging Handle, and Davidson 16" match upper with a 12" Keymod Handguard. They emailed me a few days after ordering and informed me that they were out of the12" keymod handguards and gave me a few to pick from if I wanted my order to ship out right away. I looked at them and then found a completely different one on their website that I liked and asked if they could use it instead. They honored my request and gave me a carbon fiber handguard at no additional cost. When I received it the the handguard was a little loose. I made a few adjustments to the handguard and was able to take all of the play out of the handguard. Overall the quality is good on the upper. The BCG is also good quality with staking that works but could be a little better. I can't complain at this price point.

EDIT: The barrel is not resting on the handguard. That is just an optical illusion.

Last edited by Marinos; 03-14-2017 at 11:32 PM..